[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: goldgoy.jpg (60 KB, 480x271)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Is sloshing around in a cold, dirty, shitty river for eight hours to find a few flakes of gold really that exciting?
>>
>>2719808
anon, any hobby that someone likes to do is exiting, like camping, "putting a tent in the middle of nowhere and doing nothing for days getting cold, wet, hungry, without electricity and getting infested with ticks its really that exiting?" for me? it is!
>>
Hello mr pocket!
>>
File: bigFatBear.png (822 KB, 1024x794)
822 KB
822 KB PNG
>>2719813
Good point, anon.
>>
>>2719808

To each their own. Sure, it doesn't look like he gets much but in his case - it's exercise and satisfying his urge for shiny things. If I lived in an area that doing that sort of thing was possible I'd probably give it a go. There are worse ways of spending your time.

In the end, he's working a lot of claims and a few of them are money makers.
>>
Gold gives you a hell of a rush when you find it. It's damn good.
>>
Not everything has to be exciting to be enjoyable.
Unfortunately jewtube thumbnails do have to make everything look exciting if they want to get clicks. The modern internet is cancer.
>>
File: GoldDubloons.png (1.73 MB, 1250x833)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>2719983
Especially when you realize it's just sitting out in the open all over the place, albeit in very select locations. I can definitely see how it drives people insane.
>>
>>2720008
Not here it's not. It's on the bottom of creeks, but it's 24k so it's like looking into a raging bonfire when you come across a nice piece.

Yep it's almost magic how it finds it's way to certain spots.
>>
>>2719983
>>2720008
>>2720039
Is it actually possible to make any money gold panning in the modern world or is it just something that people do for fun at this point? I feel like all of the places where you could find actually decent amounts of the stuff will have been picked clean a hundred years ago.
>>
>>2720043
You can make money with a gold claim and a suction dredge. You just don't do it every day, you go on after a big rain for a week or two and go hard. In the old days folks weren't really panning they were slucing. The pan was just a prospect tool.
>>
>>2720045
How would you go about doing that? Would you have to find the gold and stake a claim yourself (which would of course be way cooler), or are all the good spots claimed already and you'd have to pay some kinda fee to somebody?
>>
>>2720043
There are 'homeless' dudes under bridges in Edmonton panning the North Saskatchewan and paying for their own Chunky soups.
>>
>>2720050
You can do both. One thing that works is to find old gold workings from the first rushes in the area and put your claim there. The old timers never had suction dredges and metal detectors so a fair bit got left behind, plus they would move on. Atleast where I am you see little gaps between workings that they never touched. I've reliably found gold in old workings. New stuff also gets turned up in a flood, if you get into a place that floods often you might do okay. There's a ton of old books on it. You'll come across people /out/ anywhere there is gold, go and talk to them.
>>
>>2720050
Not the other guy, but…
Look for unclaimed spots nearby. There are websites that give some info for free, TheDiggings or something like that, and others.

You can get backpack sluice boxes too. I carry a bazooka gold trap (i think theyre called Rocky Mountain gold trap these days or maybe grizzly gold trap), a pan, and a small kit with pepettes and canisters and magnets.

I can throw it all in my car, strap it to a backpack or a bike rack and take it anywhere. It’s another activity with a few pieces of equipment, like bringing a fishing pole or a Packraft or a bike with you on a camping trip.
>>
>>2720078
what's your advice for covert claim jumping
>>
best kept secret american gold town...dahlonega,ga. i make 20k a year out my backyard creek.
>>
There's a young guy on YT who does this in New Zealand. He can bring out around $3000 of gold from a weekend trip, but of course he makes several times more from the videos, so who the fhuck really knows what's going on?

Seems like a great thing to grow up doing in the summers, or to go back to for some fast cash and a trip to the forests.
>>
Goldhunting bc is kinda rough imho. The tube guy doesn't show the sheer amount of travelling he does to reach all these claims. You also don't usually find gold in nice areas here, it's almost always in some chilly mosquito infested no man's land. I've met some professionals from peace river/yukon area and they're some tough nuts. Not for me
>>
>>2719808
Yes, although I’m very unsuccessful.
>>
>>2719808
I metal detect and usually come home with like $0.40 and a bag of garbage, so...
>>
>>2720051
Incredibly based.
>>
>>2719808
I like Ask Jeff Williams. They find a lot of gold sometimes. Also the ad revenue and Patreon revenue.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.