[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: kebnekaise berg.jpg (1.5 MB, 3560x2071)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
What is required to do activities like: rucking, climbing and swimming? I want to do physical activites /out/ but I usually dont do more than jogging
>>
>>2720269
try a bike
>>
>>2720269
>Rucking
Get a good backpack with a proper frame (not a MOLLE) and then just walk. Most of rucking is based on a heavy squat and being able to run long distance. It's pretty easy to practice and backpacking is the perfect medium to do so.
>Climbing
Start in a rock climbing gym, most memberships come with shoe and harness rentals included. Learn to belay top rope then evolve to lead climbing and then go with people to outdoor sport climb and then you evolve to traditional climbing and multipitch. Mountaineering is a combo of this and snow climbing which is fairly easy, do a guided climb with a class on a Cascade volcano and you will have everything you need to hit 98% of all the mountains in the states. Most of mountaineering is just cardio and rucking desu. Climbing skill comes with practice and strengthing the fingers, arms, core, and toes through use. Takes a couple years but climbing gyms are pretty ubiquitous and a great place to meet /out/ friends. It's expensive to start but really cheap once you get all the gear (My trad rack + shoes + rope + harness) was maybe 1.5k total over a few years as I got better. Ice climbing is a whole different animal and you should learn traditional rock climbing before you tackle ice.
>Swimming
If you don't know how to swim as an adult, getting swim lessons is totally reasonable since tons of people drown because they don't know and get themselves in water they can't stand up in. But really, unless you are racing, you won't be doing swimming super often /out/ because it is slow and you can't really bring gear. Scuba diving doesn't resemble swimming a ton and if you are doing water sports you should wear a life jacket.
>>
>>2720271
sure
>>2720573
>Get a good backpack with a proper frame (not a MOLLE)
Would just a regular backpack for school and work be fine then?
>climbing gym
I kinda wanted to just to some big rock and climb but I guess safety comes first
>you won't be doing swimming super often /out/ because it is slow and you can't really bring gear
makes sense but I was originally thinking of lakes and beaches in europe
>>
>>2721033
>backpack
Regular backpacks can be used but the internal frame makes a huge difference on your back and for how much you can carry. To start, don't buy a bag but once you but more miles and more weight that's when you start looking. I have used an Osprey 65L for the past 8 years and it is falling apart but I love it. My fastest competitive ruck (Norwegian foot march, 2:44) was with a Teton Talus2700 which is a good summer multiday pack. You sound like you are in europe so go to decathlon and take a look at the bags.
>climbing
you can def do big rock by yourself if it is class 3 class 4 but rock climbing in a gym helps get the scaries out so you don't freeze up midway up a rock. downclimbing safely is way harder than climbing up and climbing is more versatile and fun with a buddy. I personally dislike bouldering and I sort of like rock climbing but I do both to train for mountaineering since they are all the same family.
>swimming
makes sense. also look up riptides because those will kill you if you don't know how to deal with them.

Where are you in Europe? I'm in the states but might have some good starter recommendations.
>>
>>2722926
>Where are you in Europe
Stockholm, Sweden
>>
Rucking is idiotic. Deliberately destroy your joints for a mediocre exercise. Its nuts.
>>
>>2720269
>rucking
a backpack, some weight, and your limbs
>climbing
your limbs
>swimming
your limbs
>>
>>2724172
>exercise is idiodic
okay
>>
>>2724220
Exercise is fine, but you have to be smart about it to avoid ruining your body.
Lifting weights isn't stupid, lifting weights like someone doing crossfit is stupid.
>>
>>2724306
I don't know how to exercise properly, therefore nobody else does either
okay
>>
>>2724369
>fucked up my greentext
Well that's what I get for pre-coffee posting
>>
>>2724178
Kek. I understand the sentiment but I just want to be sure that Im not putting myself at unnecessary risk
>>2724369
Im not sure that other poster is genuine about their belief, if they are then they overestimate how destructive walking with weight is
>>
>>2720269
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnW7A_rdoY&t=1820s
>>
I need a good motivator to stay in shape and rock climbing recently piqued my interest. Seems like an activity with great external goals where fitness itself isn't the only aim of working out.

Unfortunately there's not much in the way of indoor climbing walls in my town, we do have a bouldering club though with quite a well equipped gym, if I were to take up the hobby though I'd ideally like to take up traditional climbing.

My question is this, how easy is it to transition from Bouldering to Trad Climing? Would I be better served looking further afield for a gym with proper top rope-ing facilities from the beginning or could I get started with bouldering and transition further down the line?
>>
>>2725755
The ability to climb is an entirely different skillset and takes a lot longer to learn than basic lead belay technique, and how to use gear. Might as well start bouldering if the gym is convenient and affordable. Many people at my bouldering gym almost exclusively sport climb outdoors. The hardest part of transferring from a bouldering gym -> any form of roped climbing is finding people who are willing to teach you/go with you, but, depending on your location, you could lurk facebook groups to see if they do meetups.
>>
>>2725846
There IS a climbing club based out of the (relatively) nearby University (It's not a University society I checked), so I could get in touch with them I suppose.

Seems I should actually get back into workable shape and get to grips with the basics of climbing at the Bouldering gym before I go wasting their time with something I don't know if I'm really going to like yet.

Thanks for the insight, I wasn't sure if there was much fundamentally different about Bouldering and Trad Climbing that would set me back on one if I got familiar with the other, sounds like that shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>2725398
Full body 2x/week + rucking and cardio is a bit more than I wanted right now but it did have some bits that I will keep in mind
>>2725755
>>2725846
>>2725959
This whole interaction made me confused. Bouldering is when you grab those different colored bits to climb, like in the olympics, what is "trad climbing"

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.