[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: jOC45hW.jpg (58 KB, 1080x1080)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
What are some dumb things you've bought for /out/ or tried while /out/ that ended up working or at least preforming better than expected?
>example 1
I bought a whole bunch of medium duty shower stall liners at Costco for 50 cents each because I have a problem buying seemingly useless things on sale. Turns out they're a great substitute for when you don't quite need a tarp. I've used them to sleep on. I've used them for shelter. I've used them to cover wood. I've wrap myself in one as a ghetto poncho. They hardly take up any space and at least one edge already has rings to run string through.
>example 2
Might not exactly be dumb, but it sure preformed better than expected. I bought some mosquito mesh fabric that goes over your head for when the blood suckers are bad. However I noticed these things work great all the time. They help keep the sun out. They keep any cob webs out. Any gusts of dust get mostly blocked. Somehow it blocks a lot of the smoke from a fire I don't know how probably some witch craft. Small branches or brush wont slap you in the face. If you've ever been /out/ and felt like you have to keep wiping or swatting at your face these cure that.

What were your dumb ideas that worked out?
>>
A woman
>>
>>2720278
No, just because something can be done a way, doesn't mean it's not a dumb way to do it. Your basing your logic on a false premise.
>>
>>2720366
why would you willingly pay more for something that can be done cheaper, albeit out of the ordinary?
>>
I buy a 10 pack of condoms and carry all my gear internally.

If you don't do this and claim ultra light, you're literally just larping.
>>
>>2720278
I used a 3L detergent bottle with a twist cap and tap nozzle fitted with a length of food grade hose as a hydropack.
It worked really well and I could drain out water from the tap for making stew, which can be difficult with those hydropacks with the sliding lock and a bit cumbersome to pour with the twist cap ones. It was also more rigid than those packs, which I am always worried will rip open and saturate my gear and leave me without potable water.
It did taste of detergent even after rinsing it about 4 times, and the hose did leak a few mL of water without me noticing so it needed a cork cap I think.
All up for the low cost of 1 recycled detergent bottle and a length of hose I would say it was a success.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.