[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (863 KB, 800x449)
863 KB
863 KB PNG
A week after I spent the weekend at a state park, I had the urge to go out for a walk a short trail since the weather was nice. I live in a metropolitan area, so the option for any decent trails are sparse and the ones we do have usually barely qualify as one. But I didn't want to drive nearly an hour to my nearest nature preserve, so I sucked it up and decided to try a local city park.

The entire time walking, I had mixed feelings. As a kid, I loved public parks for what they were. But now as an adult who wanted to go for a walk and escape into nature, I felt a bit frustrated. At no point was I not within a few hundred feet of a building. While it was nice to see the community gather together outside, it felt so crowded and it didn't help that a family was blasting music at a kid's birthday party. In the end, the only thing I felt like I took away from the entire experience was that I had long stretch of road that I was able to walk, but even then it wasn't ideal as I had to stop to cross roads at lights and crossing.

The harsh reality is that for most people though, this is all they know and in a way all they really need. Even becoming the slightest of /out/ is like a curse, especially as a yuppie, as you realize that you're trapped within a concrete jungle and essentially stuck there. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to leave the city, but this alone is enough to make me jealous of those who live far away from them.

What's your opinion on public parks? Do you have any suggestions for me for "feeling /out/" in the suburbs?
>>
File: CenParkNY.jpg (63 KB, 512x341)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2720585
Personally, I don't like public parks. They feel like a scam, like "hey look, we've provided you with some greenery. Come outside and get some fresh air among a few trees and some grass". Normally there are too many people, and you're still in or near the city so the concept of 'fresh air' is debatable.

If you have a way, it's always better to travel further and get further out, closer to more natural areas but I get that this is not an everyday option for a lot of people.

If you live in a city and have no other options then public parks are better than nothing. Get out, take a walk and get some sun, sure, but make the effort to go /out/ properly as much as you can.
>>
OP went to a park and got upset that the park was a park and that other people were in the park just like him
>>
>>2720585
Those urban/suburban parks should be an option of last resort, for quick workweek outings and for busier weekends when you can't make it out to the rural counties for proper /out/ experiences.
>>
>>2720593
>>2720702
Yeah, "last resort" is right. The feeling was kind of spontaneous at the time but, but now that I know what I'm in for on a day like that, I'll probably make the trip out to somewhere a little more remote next time

>>2720677
It's less that, and more that I wish public parks were better or offered more of the nature aspect. I did appreciate people actually being there and being outside, but it felt crowded. If there were more options for walkways and trails, and parks were designed to intentionally disperse people over a wide area, maybe this would be less of an issue. Plus there aren't any regulations of things like noise pollution, so having to hear the music a family was blasting from across the pond was annoying when I just wanted some peace and quiet
>>
>>2720585
Bro you talk like a fag and your shits all retarded
>>
>>2720585
Urban parks are pleb tier. Go to a cemetery, it's a park that only you'll be in

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.