[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DSC09360.jpg (161 KB, 1000x667)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
I've been doing outdoors stuff for a while and now i'm looking at doing a thru-hike for the first time. Is it any good? Or is it riddled with unbearable normies?
>>
>>2721095
I did the AT, 1/2 the CDT, and the SHT 4 times. For finding people, AT has the best culture. You meet quite a few normies, but there is generally about a 5/8 normie to 3/8 character ratio. You can easily find them though especially outside of the bubble. I have quite a few close friends from the trail and they are as odd as ever and some may say I am as well. I have tons of interesting stories and had some good side adventures. I greatly recommend thru hikes because they are a battle against nature, your body, and your mind. I think they are great. Just stay out of the bubble. That being said. If you are a normie, you'll see the world as a normie. Goodluck and have fun
>>
>>2721095
Nobody that posts on here has done any major thru hikes. And nobody that uses the word normie >>2721277 hikes on a regular basis. You're better off just going and doing it, while everyone on this board bitches about it.
>>
>>2721095
It's quite magnificent being miles from any road and only seeing maybe a couple people an entire day. (Does not apply to appalachian trail)
>>
>>2721095
I would just do a section hike that way you avoid the turbo normies that plan it and all start at the very beginning with their horde of facebook groups. So if you did the CDT you'd just start in Colorado or something that'd weed out most of that bunch, and you'd still do more than 2000 miles. Colorado get pretty busy though and you'd likely encounter people doing the colorado trail southbound, but after that there'd be basically no one
>>
AT is the worst for normies. Entire thing has become unbearable, just a rolling party of drug fucked faggots from shelter to shelter. The pollution on the AT has gotten really bad too, toilet paper EVERYWHERE and all these fuckheads can't manage their food correctly so bears are getting really bold and close to shelters and campsites. Go do PCT or CDT.
>>
>>2721316
You can be miles away from any road and see no one on a regular hike.
>>
Everything about thru hiking seems so... American, in the worst ways possible.
>>
There are over 30 trails in the US that are over 100 miles long. Nearly all of them are harder (logistically) than the big three, and most are pretty empty.
>>
>>2721393
Those also qualify as through hikes.
>>
>>2721426
Yes, exactly. My Pinhoti hike was nothing like my AT section hikes.
>>
>>2721278
Not true, I know there's that fatty doing the northern Spain pilgrimage trail
>>
>>2721446
>Pinhoti hike
how long did that take?
>>
>>2721278
I've done Te Araroa and Pacific Crest Trail. 88 temple pilgrimage too if you want to count that. Keep projecting /in/ fatty.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.