[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1600514.jpg (308 KB, 1720x1756)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
Sorry if this isn't the right board, I'm not sure, but I don't use many others and I feel like you guys can answer this best. I'm looking to buy a brand new mower for the first time tomorrow, can you guys help me out? I was looking at the Toro recycler line, but I'm hearing mixed reviews about it. I'm looking to keep it around 500 bucks but can go a little over that. My yard isnt that big, couple hundred square feet. I'm just looking for something reliable preferably with self drive for when my wife wants to mow. What mower do you use? Also, any tips for getting rid of milkweed? My yard is a little overgrown and at some point it creeped in. I get a lot of biodiversity in my yard though so that's cool, sometimes I get morels too. Sorry for rambling, just killing time until I can click post.
>>
File: 1653315032673.jpg (74 KB, 933x1200)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
Solar powered, mow less, grow a meadow, not a lawn. This is the way.
>>
>>2721445
>eat the bugs
>live in the coffin apartment
>suck the feminine penis
no.
>>
>>2721445
It kills me to do it because I prefer it natural but I'm in town and also feel the desire to make it look good. I'm gonna clean it up and start a garden in the back, keeping all of the flowering trees and bushes because they attract lots of critters. I get lots of rabbits, ducks, and cardinals. My yard is also a blend of several different tall fast growing grasses, not sure what they are though.
>>
>>2721447
>ill spend more time buying nitrogen, fertilizer, mowers, and other equipment to own the libs.
Suit yourself directionbrain.
>>
>>2721444
I’d suggest giving DIY a try Anon. Pretty helpful peeps over there.
>>
>>2721453
Right on, I'll check it out on my next break, thanks anon.
>>
Check Facebook or craigslist, or if you have a local mower/power tool repair shop in your town, call and see if they have any used mowers to sell. Used is the way to go if you have a small yard. I have an older Honda mower that I bought for cheap from a local boomer who repairs mowers in his garage.
>>
>>2721527
That's what I've always done in the past but I want to buy new for once since I finally have a good salaried position in a good company and can finally afford nice things. I've waited a couple years to get my finances in order and put some money back first but it's time to spoil myself a little. Just not too much.
>>
>>2721444
Honda make reliable self-drives, we run them for ~30hrs per week all summer and rarely run into problems, some of the non-mechanical parts can be fiddly and break though but they are cheap to repair.
I'm not sure about toro's hand-mowers but I've driven quite a few toro grasscutters and they are excellent but they do run into quite a lot of problems and are expensive to repair (commercially, idk about home use).
>>
same with chainsaws, Husqvarna or Stihl
everything else is literally trash
>>
>>2721444
Honda makes the best engines in the world. Simple as.
Also electric lawn mower are made like shit. I had one that I Frankenstein cut it open because not made to be user repairable and replaced the transformer on it 4 times before giving up and going to gas.electrics just made for a light load.
but if you are willing to I'd consider getting animals that will clear it.
>>
File: Ariens-lawn-mower.jpg (81 KB, 1000x1000)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2721444

I'd suggest an Ariens mower. Not cheep but cheeper then a Honda yet very well made and reliable. I had two of them over the years (now live in a condo and thus don't cut grass) the first was bought by the dad in 1980 and it lasted until the mid-2000s, at which point I bought another and it was still going strong when I gave it away to a neighbor when I moved several years back.

The bagging system is particularly well designed and easy to empty, switching from bag to side discharge is done via two nuts and I'd encourage you to get one with caster wheels, as it makes maneuvering much easier
>>
>>2721444
I have one of those, it isn't bad but it doesn't develop enough torque to cut grass if it gets out of hand or you have a thick grass type growing in your lawn.
In terms of things that go wrong most are repairable at home by yourself, for example changing spark plugs, air filter, or cleaning out the carb.
>>
File: 1713396082401189m.jpg (36 KB, 1024x650)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
The internal combustion engine is obsolete, inefficient, loud, heavy, complex. Overall a huge disaster.
Buy an electric mower with warranty from your local shop. Save your local community from exhaust fumes and noise pollution.
>>
new lawnmower are all epa cucked
you want a used one with briggs L-head that will rev to 3600 without tweaking the governor
bonus for being a pain in that >>2721773
faggots ass
>>
>>2722179
>cause massive amounts of noise pollution and use a comically less efficient, more heavy, and more complicated design to pwn the libtards!
>>
>>2722482
thats all nice until it cucks out mowing mere 10" tall grass
>less efficient
>he unironically believes lawnmower engines are efficient in the 2000rpm range
>he believes nonstop surging is not wasting a shitload of fuel
>>
>>2721444
Buy a reel mower. They're cheap, easy to maintain, and it's basically the same effort to mow as a gas mower. Anyone who disagrees is a pussy who's afraid of real yard work. If you are a pussy who's afraid of yardwork then maybe a robot mower is more your speed.
>>
File: 8212_6756_popup.jpg (124 KB, 800x800)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>2721444
>>2722498
pic related
>>
>>2721444
>My yard isnt that big, couple hundred square feet.
Would seriously consider an electric mower. The batteries last long and they are quieter and easier to use
>>
>>2722498
>>2722499
I agree unless you live near the woods and have a lot of sticks/pinecones or have let your yard get overgrown. Then it's an exercise in torture as you proceed to stop on every stick.
>>
>>2722523
Sticks and pinecones definitely slow down the progress, but I still prefer it. Plus you can clear most of that away by dethatching your lawn.
>>
>>2721444
Dude if your lawn is only a couple hundred square feet, don't waste your money on a brand new gas mower, you aren't even going to go through a full tank of fuel then that gas will sit in the carb and ruin it long before you even get through the break in period. You are better off getting a used one, or a reel mower, or an electric mower, which if you already have power tools you may have the batteries for that brands mower.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.