[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: videoessay.jpg (110 KB, 1170x1419)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
im bored as hell and i like vegetables, so im thinking of growing some onions or something. i also heard about hydroponics which are apparently pretty neat and allow for easier indoor farming. i have some questions about this stuff however and if you guys could answer them that would be great.

1. what plants can i grow with hydroponics
2. what equipment do i need for hydroponics
3. is it true you can use pool noodles for this
4. do i need to know anything about ph and nutrients to do this
5. where can i learn more about hydroponics technique and also about ph and nutrients if i have to
6. is this expensive
7. can i sell my vegetables here in southern cali
8. can i do this with two square feet of space (i currently have around that amount of space or more on a dresser right now)
>>
>>2721868
if you actually mean onions it would be tricky, if you mean onions it would be pretty hard.
basically hydroponics is used to grow very nutritiously cheap vegetables, think lettuce, spinach, snowpea. the stuff that doesnt need a ton of nutes
obviously you can grow whatever, but that will require more care and just works better in real soil
for equipment youd probably want to google it. its just a pump and a ~50l tub and a series of tubes with some growing medium at the end arranged in a way that a 3 minute youtube video will let you understand it enough to try it out.
pool noodles? the growing medium or the channel for nutes? either way i would say its not recommended, pvc pipe is cheaper for the pipes and rockwool is cheaper for a growing medium

ph and nutrient concentration is really easy. you get a probe for both (you can get combined ones, but getting two separate ones would most likely be cheaper). test every week or two, look for a ph of ~6.5 depending on what youre growing and a "conductivity" of about 2000millisieverts (how this one works is it measures how easy it is for electricity to pass between the probes, the more nutes dissolved the easier it is, so 2000millisieverts has more nutes than 1000millisieverts)
if the numbers arent right you either add ph up or down (that would literally be what the product is called most likely) or you add more nutrients. make sure you dont overadd anything because you cant take it out, you can measure as many times as you want per day when adding them
>expensive
only to start. as it goes as long as you arent using growlights its going to end up cheaper than soil outside
>sell vegetables
idk mate, im australian
>small space
>dresser
any size works, thats another advantage to it over soil. if its dark though id consider mushrooms (youd make more selling them anyway), but thats a different /out/ thread topic probably
its pretty cool, ive been thinking of hydroponic potatoes just for fun. maybe one day

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.