[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How would you go about making a dugout shelter that isn't a complete clickbait "youtube-tier" meme?

Something that will last, not turn into a flooded hole in the ground, or rot quickly?

I've considered lots of materials and techniques, from using bricks and cement, to welding a metal arched frame, to just going primitive with burnt logs.

How would you do it? Want to make my outdoor retreat and cabin a reality, but don't want to impact the landscape by making a big building above ground. Looking to build small and cozy.

Want to bury it into the hillside like a nice Hobbit hole, and am willing to construct with quality materials and take my time.
>>
File: 109_th.png (28 KB, 400x249)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>2722001
Daniel Bears says to cut away the side of a hill entirely and keep it on high ground. Slanted roofs will encourage water to drain around the structure rather than into it. mass loaded vinyl would be a good modern cover for the whole thing to keep moisture from coming into direct contact with the wood. it's a good idea to dig a pit underneath and build an elevated floor because even on high well draining ground, the floor will get muddy.

It's gonna be full of centipedes so consider breeding a lizard army
>>
>>2722001
Just watch this and figure something out from there.
https://youtu.be/JvkyzwgTw7I?si=ZKiMZMfChpkNuzoq
>>
Natives in my area traditionally lived in dugout homes in the winter. They were seasonal and were dug up and burned out every year, then rebuilt on the ashes again in fall.
>>
Get this book. Written by a guy who lives in north Idaho and lives in one and has made several.
From what I remember he recommends buried polyethylene sheet as a way to keep water out.
Use cedar wood if you want wood construction
>>
Building on a spur that would be the best way to keep water out.
>>
>>2722001
dugouts rot because theres no ventilation.
even cabins above ground get their share of mould and rot and thats with having windows on multiple sides and doors, a dugout is doomed to fast decay.

your best bet is making it using stone or concrete if you want it to last longer
>>
its a hole in the ground,it's gonna suck ass no matter what. even the hobbits put in hardwood floors, dude.

why does your emergency hole (in a given camp spot lol) need to be nice anyway?
>>
>>2722001
Material quality is probably going to be your first and biggest issue just all round, you'll need properly treated and fit for purpose materials, second, making sure that there's good airflow, between those you'll solve everything short of a freak downpour.
>>2722101
>$50
Not likely in this economy, sadly.
>>
>>2722592
There's an extremely high emphasis on using junk and reclaimed stuff. Basically the only thing you're buying new is the PE sheeting
>>
>>2722003
this is going to have all the problems OP mentioned retard
>>
>>2722001
I give you the Edm pond liner Wofati underground house
https://richsoil.com/wofati.jsp
>>
File: ada.jpg (113 KB, 1024x683)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
whyou,,,never consider earth bags?,
,,itslike forming bricksin place,,use old plastic shoppingbags,,anyshape under compression?,,chimney fireproof,rainwater cistern,,fills with water raisefish.,
,,,justlike the pyramids!
>>
>>2722001
If you want it made out of wood try your best to keep the wood from ever getting wet. Put some tarp between the dirt and your wooden beams/walls .
Moist wood does not last long but the kind of wood you use doesnt matter, just use normal wood for construction and keep it dry!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.