[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Mccandless.jpg (130 KB, 625x416)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
now that the dust has settled, what EXACTLY did he do that was so wrong?
>>
>>2722233
>tried
>failed
>died
>>
>>2722233
That is one creepy looking motherfucker.Let me guess... Gay rapist?Cannibal?
>>
>>2722249
nah just a dude that lived in the woods for a while. guess how he died
>>
>>2722250
Did he eat those porcupines on the chairs behind him?
>>
File: McCandysoyass.png (268 KB, 550x440)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>2722233
Being deeply mentally ill in an age where the mentally ill are not properly isolated and contained.
>but but he's an icon to me!!111
Yes, and here you are on the internet unsupervised and miserable.
>>
>>2722254
close, they ate him
>>
>>2722260
I believe it.They have some nasty teef.
>>
>>2722233
Who?

>>2722249
I'm going to guess that was the AT serial killer or something similar.
>>
He was just sort of a mentally ill hippie who didn't approach survival with any degree of rationality., no?
>>
>>2722281
Just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Never really knew it until now
>>
>>2722233
i think chris new he royally fucked up by majoring and minoring what he did in uni and coped with it by trying to live a childhood fantasy.

It's the ultimate embodiment of taking the phrase everyones parents tells them "you can do whatever you want when you get older" to literally.

but if im being brutally honest

he probably had a form bipolar disorder or something
because there is no way in hell you read a book about surviving and adventuring as a kid and still think it's awesome as an adult

like yeah i thought the hatchet for example was badass and totally imagined myself in thay situation

but im also not s retard and realized how genuine fucking hard it would be to survive off of literal scratch
>>
joined the college republicans group indicating that he supported institutionalized hatred and marginalization of minority groups
you should be glad he is dead, and pray more who hold exclusionary beliefs like he did meet a similar grisly fate
>>
>>2722298
does the exclusion of those with exclusionary beliefs mean that you yourself are also an exclusionist with exclusionary beliefs who should also meet a grisly fate?
>>
>>2722269
>I'm going to guess that was the AT serial killer or something similar.
>be me
>hiking smol part of AT the other day
>my friend stops to chat up a guy who's coming down the trail he's kinda grizzled looking and has a huge backpack, my friend is asking him for directions though I have the map
>we start talking he says he only has 10 dollars in his pocket and is hiking to North Carolina from PA
>all I can think of is APPALACHIAN SERIAL KILLER STAY AWAY GET AWAY
>don't give him any money try to walk away quickly because he seemed sort of eager to talk
>rest of the day thinking I should have given him some money
>>
>>2722298
>joined the college republicans group indicating that he supported institutionalized hatred and marginalization of minority groups
>you should be glad he is dead, and pray more who hold exclusionary beliefs like he did meet a similar grisly fate
go back

>>2722300
i cut my balls off while camping and screamed the nword deep in a california forest
>>
>>2722298
stop molesting children.
>>
It's kind of ridiculous that so many people have offered nothing close to what actually went wrong. I guess it has never been more true that most people will be willing to share their idiocy at the drop of a hat.

The poor guy, understandably seeking escape from the hell hole that is modern society, was ill prepared for the harsh winter conditions his chosen location were going to experience.

But his number one fatal flaw was that he crossed a stream to reach the abandoned bus. The bus held his interest for too long, and by the time poor old Chris decided it was time to bug out the stream had widened into a kind of seasonal river of frigid water. It was likely not very inviting, lugging himself and his supplies saturated with cold water so he accidentally tried to wait it out until conditions improved. They didn't.

The rest of the tards here will probably claim the river or the frigid mountain environment had some kind of political affiliation, or that Chris was a hyper neo nazi and deserved to die. But the truth is he entered strange new terrain and died. That's it.
>>
>>2722249
he has what is called "facial wasting" in the pic.
>>
>>2722336
>Chris was a hyper neo nazi and deserved to die
he was though and did
>>
>>2722336
>It's kind of ridiculous that so many people have offered nothing close to what actually went wrong.
see:
>>2722258
>>2722281
>>2722282
>>2722288

As you are a defective, you opinion has negative value.
>>
>>2722336
>Chris was a hyper neo nazi
he was a Reagan-loving incel. He'd probably have posted his manifesto on /pol/ before going on a shooting spree and getting shot by cops if he was born 20 years later.
>>
>>2722384
lel, what are you trannies even on /out/ for? you can't ever be separated from civilization between your ssris, your hormones, your antiretrovirals etc.
hell: your uber eats.
>>
>>2722258
>in an age where the mentally ill are not properly isolated and contained

This. And not sterilized. This above all else.
>>
>>2722395
the ethical problem of forced sterilization would be solved 9 times out of 10 with incentivized sterilization.
there are disabled women out there putting out 3-4 even worse disabled kids with their fucked genes.
that's 3-4 kids on government benefits for life.
if you offered that woman a place to live and care for life you could have got her to get snipped and then saved a fuck load of money.
>>
>>2722233
ITT: a bunch of shut-ins bootyblasted because McCandless lived better than they ever will and died with more lasting effect on the world than they ever will
>>
>>2722434
Dying of starvation while regretting everything and crying for help is living better? I don't think that's the argument you want to make, anon.
>>
File: 1710290821052942.jpg (203 KB, 1340x1035)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
I always made fun of McCandless for giving up at the end. I always thought the sentiment that people had for him ranged from 'skill issue lol' to 'poor guy, but he died doing what he wanted'.
I don't think I've ever seen people get genuinely angry at him, and celebrate his death. What's more, everyone in the thread who holds that sentiment seems to hold viewpoints typically associated with people who don't get out of the city much. I can only assume that these people, frothing at the mouth at the idea of someone living in the woods, are the same ones in the other threads of the board who throw fits when someone uses gear they don't approve of, calling people larpers for basic things, and overall holding an air of smug condescention while discussing a hobby they have never participated in.
>>
File: 1713612679383547.jpg (43 KB, 1060x596)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2722233
Getting mogged by a 13yo
>>
>>2722434
Based salt farmer
>>
>>2722233
Got mogged by that tubby tubs trailer trash piggy that hid in the woods in the South for a month and then turned black. That's legitimately embarrassing.
>>
>>2722472
>butthurt and crying is "based"
lol, but given how often the term "based" is misused I can understand your confusion.
>>
>>2722569
>t. mad that no one will write a book or make a movie about anything he does, including dying
>>
>>2722593
Why do you assume everyone else is as much of an attention whore as you are?
>>
File: 1277217400436.jpg (24 KB, 350x350)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2722593
>actively wanting to be a famous retard
yeah, we reeeally need to bring back the bughouses.
>>
>>2722233
Did you guys know he died? I would never have known that were it not for anons spamming Chris threads every fucking day
>>
>>2722569
From how I've seen it used on 4chan, "based" seems to me "the dumbest thing possible"
>>
>>2722282
:salute:
>>
>>2722688
How did he die?
Fighting a bear?
Did he light himself on fire?
>>
>>2722697
"OP was SO BASED he sucked cock for bus fair and then walked!"
>>
He was ready to hunt. Managed to bag a moose, but wasn't ready to preserve it. The failure to save the moose meat was what he did that was so wrong. Also, not having a map and compass. His shelter could have been much improved too.
>>
>>2722801
Not fording the river was a fatal mistake.
>>
>>2722802
You mean not knowing that there was a fully functional bridge within walking distance because he was too stupid to do basic research about the area or bring a map was a fatal mistake.
>>
>>2722802
I agree. However, with a map/compass or large quantities of meat it could have been avoided. However it's likely we are splitting hairs here. I hope you have a nice day. The weather is nice here so I shall go for a stroll. Nice speaking with you anon! Only the politest of herbs as I don't feel this post helps the conversation along.
>>
>>2722233
Could have just brought an Apple iPhone 15, it has satellite phone functionality for emergency calls and with it's titanium plated sides it's ready for your toughest adventure.
>>
>>2722470
He's probably dead now and was most definitely helped.
>>
>>2722839
only the pro is titanium and iirc its not plating the whole frame is that
>>
>>2722827
>Only the politest of herbs as I don't feel this post helps the conversation along.
You can't announce a sage, famalam
>>
>>2722470
>>2722900
Wait I never heard about this part of the story. How does he factor in?
>>
>>2722233
He left too little margin for error. He was alone, he didn't have any plans to check in with anyone, he didn't know the area well enough, he didn't ford the river, he didn't preserve the meat successfully, he relied on food that was unproven in those conditions. There are more, and correcting any one of them might have changed the outcome. That said I still envy him.
>>
>>2723853
You can if you obfuscate it behind flowery language like I'm doing now. I hope you respected it by applying a sage of your own!
>>
>>2723885
>muh magic downdoot
lol
>>
>>2722233
Inhumanely murdered and wasted a moose that had infinitely more right to live in alaska than he did
>>
>>2722233
operated under the belief of
>if I don't know something is stupid and dangerous, then it's perfectly safe because it wont be my fault
>reality.exe
>overweight teenage edgelords and other assorted retards worship him as some kind of hero for the next thirty years
>>
>>2722336
The creek/river had a crossing like a mile down from where he originally crossed. I mean if the creek rises and gets you stuck the first thing I'm going to do is walk my ass down it at least a few miles looking for a crossing. And at ehat point do you start starving and say "goddam it I'll take my chances in the river" instead of literally sitting in the bus until you turn skelly?
>>
>>2722389
We like to go out. Sometimes it allows us to escape having to deal with bigoted, ignorant fuckheads all the time.
>>
>>2725934
but nature/reality is the biggest "transphobe" of all!
>>
>>2725934
Just kill yourself, freak
>>
>>2722395
this is why I support trans rights and free SRSs
>>
>>2726205
>SRSs
Qrd?
>>
>>2722258
his name is alexander supertramp
>>
>>2726285
Why are there two McCandless threads on the front page right now?
>>
>>2726287
>retards who idolize a retard who lived retarded and died retarded are too retarded to use the catalogue
yeah, how'd that happen?
>>
>>2722233
Skinny idiot, there's a reason why animals put fat for winter .
>>
>>2726287
because its easier to discuss famous people or gear buying than to risk the 200 people who read this board stealing your secret spot by posting pictures of it and saying which trail leads to it
>>
>>2722750
Based
>>
>>2726207
tiddyskittles cause a rapid and permanent drop in fertility.
troonism has successfully sterilized more autists than any eugenics movement.
>>
I don't even understand the fascination with him
>Retard walks into remote woods
>Dies because of lack of experience
Like, what is there to cling on to

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.