[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How the hell am I supposed to fit a sleeping bag in here? I got a 50L bag which seems too small now
>>
it's not the bag that's too small it's the sleeping bag that's too big
>>
>>2722522
>it's the sleeping bag that's too big
This,

OP you have a car camping sleeping bag. They work in a pinch but they're often way too bulky for comfortable backpacking

Look up a used kelty cosmic series backpacking bag, you can find them for $60-70 on ebay, which is just slightly more than the $50 for your coleman
>>
You were supposed to get an external frame pack and strap the bag to the bottom. You bought an internal frame consumer toy for ultralight memery and day hiking.
>>
>>2722522
That's why we've been telling you all the time to buy your backpack last. If you want to use synthetic sleeping bags (like the one you've presented) and/or camp during winter and carry enough food for a week, then a big ass backpack is essential. I have a 80l army bag just for that.

First, see if you can compress it more. Do you have some backup straps or rope to squeeze your bag? Big part of it's volume is air, so that should help.

If that didn't help enough, then you could use the straps at the bottom of your pack to tie your sleeping bag to it in a pinch and carry it outside of your backpack. It's not gonna be a comfortable solution, but it could work. Just put a plastic garbage bag inside your stuff sack to protect your sleeping bag from getting wet.

Finally, if you're handy with a sewing machine and have one, then you could try converting it into a mummy style sleeping bag or even a quilt. DIY is the most based way to go. If you have a sewing machine available, but don't know how to sew, I highly recommend you to learn it - it's so braindead easy, that even women can do it.
>>
>>2722541
This. For the ultimate versatility, strap a duffel bag to a cache hauler. One frame, many packs for different seasons and activities.
>>
you have to figure out how to strap the sleeping bag outside the pack
>>
>>2722522
That sleeping bag is for car camping. You goofed, Anon.
>>
>>2722522
>>2722619
>>2722639
>>
Thanks for the thread OP, I ran into same issue today as I was packing for my first weekend trip. Though it's a smaller bag than yours it's still a synthetic bag in a 55L pack. All my shit fits but leaves no room for food. Guess I'll strap my tent to the outside.
>>
>>2722531
>>2722544
>>2722639

OP here, what you said is true. I bought that sleeping bag last summer for a car camping trip.
The backpack still has its tag on it so i can return it if needed, but I didnt want to be that guy with the giant military 70L bag so I went one size smaller.
The answer here is to buy another sleeping bag and sell this one

>>2722678
Good luck bro. My trip is in 4 weeks so Im glad I caught this early
>>
>>2722522
>How the hell am I supposed to fit a sleeping bag in here?
Don't use a shitty sleeping bag. The one in your pic is intended for "camping" in your back yard. Also, get a compression stuff sac.
>>
>>2722684
you can bind it to the top of your pack. you can get yourself one of those fancy water tight bags with the clips or roll a tarp round it and bind it that way, you can never go wrong with too much tarp.
>>
File: file.png (907 KB, 1151x936)
907 KB
907 KB PNG
>>2722709
Can I? this is the bag I have. an outskirt 50 https://www.kelty.com/outskirt-50/
>>
>>2722711
I would clip it to the bottom of the bag, that's probably what those buckles there are meant for, although it might change the weight distribution of the bag so there's more force around your lower back so just check how it feels
>>
File: file.png (2.04 MB, 1600x912)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
Anyone have any experience with Slumberjack?
>>
>>2722684
Once you get a smaller sleeping bag ditch the stuff sack and get a pack liner (usually just cheap large plastic bags).
You put the liner in your pack, then squish your sleeping bag down into your pack as much as you can. The idea is it fills to the edges the pack more and you end up with less dead space. Think of it like an ice block in a glass compared to the same amount in liquid.
Then chuck the other stuff you want dry/will take out last such as your sleeping pad in the pack liner and squish the whole thing down into your pack. Then as you pack the rest you should be able to squish it down further and further so it takes less space.
>>
File: IMG_1547.jpg (2.84 MB, 3448x4833)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
get a fatty backpack
fits everything you need and more
>>
>>2722711
You’d have to nigger rig it, and even then it’s not ideal. The concept of putting a sleeping bag on top of your pack is carried over from the days of external frame packs. Those were made for it. The idea is to keep your sleeping bag as close to your center of gravity as possible, so it goes over the pack rather than stuffing it inside, pushing the rest of the contents away from you.

With an internal frame pack (like that Kelty), when you strap a sleeping bag on top of it the bag inevitably wants to pull away from you. Rather than pushing down, it pulls you back. I’m found that it out extra weight in my shoulders rather than my hips.

>>2722713
>put it underneath
This sometimes works but has its own issues. The biggest advantage is that you can still access your pack.
>just use those straps.
Those are compression straps. They’re not nearly long enough.

Also, OP better pray that it doesn’t rain.
>>
>>2722541
no
>>2722525
yes

Down sleeping bags are way more expensive but compress insanely small. the higher the fill value of the down, the more expensive but also the lighter and compacter
>>
>>2722684
You could get a surplus MSS patrol bag for about 50 bucks, should be the same temp rating, and it'll pack down a lot smaller. Not the be-all-end-all sleeping bag, but it'd hold you over.
>>
>>2722725
My 40F Slumberjack bag has lasted many years.
>>
Cheap sleeping bags tend to be huge because the insulation material is poor quality. You can get a compression bag, they aren't likely to damage a cheap bag.
>>
>>2722522
It's time to buy a better sleeping bag and make a point of getting one that compresses well. Down is retard expensive and isn't nice in the wet. Snythetic will not compress as well but you should be able to keep your budget under the hard 200usd. Just make sure you read dimensions on packed bags. Remember to stuff the bag in, not roll it. Rolling cuts insulation to hell and store your bag unrolled and not in the bag if you can. It will help it last. Get a 0. bag if you can and remember that 50 wont hold the biggest bags reguardless. It should be like a pair of small melons in general size+ compression.
>>
>>2722711
I have a 35 - 45 that I strap another 20l+ worth of stuff to the outside of. Although it's got really good straps and loops designed to do this, yours appears to have meme impractical straps that don't like the straps will last long.
>>
>>2724298
>kelty
>meme impractical straps that don't like the straps will last long
i hate this board so much it's filled with
indoorsfags constantly spewing shit they don't
know a thing about
>>
>>2724298
Post it
>>
>>2722541
I have internal frame packs and probably dwarf this dude in terms of mileage and nights /out/.
>supposed to
Lel
>>
>>2722522
How did you manage to find such a cold bag that takes up that much space?
My extreme winter bag takes up a third of that when compressed.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.