[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: grivel-g12.jpg (282 KB, 1500x1499)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
Bit of a stupid question. Are crampons sold as a set or individually?
>>
>>2725949
Have you looked at any retail sites?
https://gprivate.com/6awxt

The answer would appear to be on an individual basis, presumably because you'd want to replace them on an individual basis
>>
>>2725949
damn if only you had the internet where you lived so you could figure this out for yourself

and even then, if you've never bought crampons before why would you think about only buying one- and if you have bought them before why are you even asking this question
>>
>>2725949
Is there a way to stop my backpack killing my shirts? It rubs on the back of my shirt and starts to worn out.
>>
>>2725949
Kek, I've seen individuals sold at REI
>>
Is there an archive for /out/? Warosu, desuarchive and 4plebs don't have it and I don't know about any other sites.
>>
How does /out/ plan for their cross country trips? I’ve never traveled across the country before, but I’m planning a visit to Olympia National Park Memorial Day weekend. I have some itinerary but otherwise have no idea what I’m doing.
>>
Question: would I be insane to include chopsticks and a spoon in my cook kit? I assume the spork meta is there for a reason but sporks are shit and I'm thinking it might be worth sacrificing a little bit more space and weight for 2 utensils instead of one bullshit one.
>>
>>2727062
If you want to. Metagaming your utensils is for faggots. Just pick something that stows and cleans nicely, chopsticks and spoons mostly fit the bill.
Spork meta exists because they stack easily if they become warehouse filler and people will spend 20$ on a spork that they wouldn't spend on a spoon. It also fundamentally appeals to the innate desire for an egg-laying pig that can be sheared for wool.
>>
I need to improve my sleep system for the summer. I have a Teton Sport winter bag which is great but it's huge and heavy. I'm looking for something more compact and lightweight for the warmer months, though I live up north so I would still be looking for 35-40 degree bag. I'm hoping to spend around $100 or less if possible, doesn't need to be Gucci just a little more compact than the giant Teton stuff. Quilt or bag is fine.

Any recs?
>>
>>2726777
checked. And sometimes having no idea what you're doing can be good. Don't over-plan your trips, leave a lot of wiggle room to do things on impulse that you see along the way.
>>
>>2726753
You need an archive for all the shitposts here?
>>
>>2727178
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm curious if anons have relied on chopsticks for prolonged periods of time and if their experience was positive enough to recommend it.
>>
>>2727304
You sound like a gawky boi.
>>
>>2727062
Skip the chop sticks and just pack a long-handled bamboo or wooden spoon. You won't burn your lips and can cut noodles, or better yet pack small noodles like mac, and scoop up everything shoveling it into your mouth. Less to pack and clean. One less scented item you'll forget in your pack that draws critters. Sporks are fake and gay btw.
>>
>>2727246
Buy a $70 forty degree quilt and spend the other $30 on a compression dry bag. That should be fine for summer except above the treeline. Pic shown is 4Monster down camping blanket that I doubt uses ethically-sourced down but it's available on Amazon cheap.
>>
>>2727306
Ah you got me!
>>
>>2726196
You really shouldn't be hiking/camping in shirts you care about. Any of those fancy shirts are a meme.

If you must wear fancy shirts or ones you care about, putting wash clothes between the strap and your shirt should protect it.
>>
>>2726777
Don't over plan. Pick no more than five things you have to see, and everything else stumble around. You'll have a lot more fun randomly discovering something than running a check list.
>>
File: 1714620605676408.jpg (45 KB, 563x846)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Recently transitioned over to a propane firepit because I'm tired of buying overpriced wood and hauling it. It's a small setup with a 5 lb propane tank. I live in an apartment and don't have outside storage for the tank, so my plan was to use it all or bleed it empty before returning home and storing it in doors. Everything I see about propane storage says not to store it indoors, even when empty. I should be alright to keep it inside, right? Even if there are residuals, the amount would be so small to not be an issue.
>>
>>2727062
>sacrificing a little bit more space and weight
>for fucking chopsticks
>>
>>2727383
Don't be a pussy. Propane tanks don't spontaneously explode. I keep a full 20lb grill tank inside all the time. That's just shit they say to cover their ass from getting sued in the event that some freak accident happens. You could sit inside your house in a pile of full propane tanks smoking cigarettes and putting them out on the fucking nozzles and nothing would happen.

Sure, it will blow up if you have a major house fire, but I think you have bigger problems if that happens.
>>
>>2727304
Dude have you ever used chopsticks? Do YOU like chopsticks? Why are you asking the internet this? If you can eat with them, and it's enjoyable and effective, then do it. Otherwise pack a fucking fork and spoon or whatever it is that you eat with. Are you a bot?
>>
File: 1713898763290507.gif (23 KB, 650x335)
23 KB
23 KB GIF
>>2727398
Explosively Based
>>
>>2727400
They're superior cooking utensils
>>
>>2727398
Weird, I thought they were kept out side because it's a waste of space to keep them indoors and it's easier to refill them. I would say something about combusted fume venting but almost no one has adequate venting in their kitchens. Somehow idiot boomers decided to replace hood vents with microwaves above their stove--which is retarded for multiple reasons venting being one.
>>
I think the concern is the primary and bleeder valves failing and gas leaking from the tank. Even a tank that has been filled and used to 'empty' has leftover gases in it. Unless after its been used to 'empty' and you use the bleeder valve to release the rest of the pressure, it probably shouldn't be kept indoors. If there's no pressure inside, there's no risk of pressure pushing gasses out in the event of a valve failure. You do however run an increased risk of interior rusting over time which will make the unit unusable sooner when there's no pressure keeping oxygen/moisture out.
>>
Question: If I go out and (spring or summer) and I don't want to bring a tent, just a pad and a sleeping pad and a mosquito net, do you guys put anthying under your pad or is net/pad/bag enough?
>>
>>2725956
Why are you trolling him?
>>2725949
Are shoes sold individually or as a pair?

>>2727364
But I need to be /fa/ when I'm /out/, anon.
>>
I have a Swiss army rucksack I got for free, should I use it for backpacking? Or should I get picrel
>>
>>2725949
crampons without spikes how do they work
>>
>>2728233
Yes
>>
>>2727897
You've said 'pad' multiple times. Shot in the dark answer, you will want insulation below you to insulate from the ground. Foam mat, insulated air mattress. To keep things dry or clean toss a ground sheet like a piece of plastic tarp or tyvek down.
>>
I have "runner's knee"

How do I kill myself to save me the trouble?
>>
>>2727839
Yeah, venting isn't really a concern with propane, it burns clean as long as there is an adequate oxygen supply around. Have a CO detector in the house and then don't worry about it.

>>2727861
That's why propane has that smell added to it. Bleeder valves don't usually just fail for no reason, and if one did you'd smell the gas. Just use common sense and don't light a flame if you wake up and the whole house stinks like propane.
>>
>be me
>own pic rel
>has done everything I've needed for years without issue

convince me why I need more expensive axes
>>
>>2728916
You don't need an axe or a hatchet. You are a larper.
>>
>>2728927
yeah I've never processed wood for camp fires, you're right
>>
>>2728927
Define LARP for us
>>
how cold does it have to be overnight to die to hypothermia without any sleeping bag/only mild clothing?
>>
I’m going to be backpacking for 4 days with a group of friends, first time doing this kind of thing.
Do I need a pillow or should I roll up a sweater and sleep on it?
5 other people are being water filters ( no potable water on the island except lake water) to share with us (13 people total) but should I still get my own?
How big of a watebottle do I need? I have a 64oz bottle I use at home but it’s large and gets heavy when it’s full
>>
>>2728818
I'd be significantly more worried about the toxic off gassing from non stick pans than combustion fumes from propane.
>>
>>2728916
I don't know about more expensive but I would never buy an axe that doesn't have a replaceable handle. You probably don't chop nearly as much wood as I do so it probably doesn't matter to you.
>>
>>2729283
That number is inversely proportional to IQ.
>>
>>2729283
It can be surprisingly warm. The ground is an infinite heat sink and wind will constantly remove any warm air around your body. Even in hot months, a low point by a low point near a steam can quickly become damp and cool overnight. The exact number is too dependent on context but I would never plan on it being too warm. I'd have a sleeping pad, a blanket, etc. and use the option to not sleep with them vs shivering at night.

>>2729286
Pillow depends on how you sleep and if your pillow helps. I carry an inflatable because I always hated sleeping on a fleece for the most part. Give it shot one night before you commit several days to whatever you choose.
You may not need a filter but it would certainly allow faster filtering. To answer your other question with it, grab some smart water or similar plastic bottles and a Sawyer squeeze (assuming NA water). 64oz is not too much but depends on how often you can reach water. If you have your own filter you also have more flexibility in how often you fill up. Check your route.
>>
>>2729291
lol try harder master forester posting on an anime forum
>>
>>2729289
>toxic off gassing from non stick pans
Do you have good sauces on this? I keep hearing people arguing that nonstick pans are cancer machines that fill your bloodstream up with PFAS and kill you, but also people saying Teflon is so totally inert that any of it that gets into your system you will just shit right out with none of it being absorbed. Don't know who to believe and I haven't seen convincing evidence on either side yet
>>
I'm looking into getting some medical tape for my first aid kits, both to go in my /out/ bags as well as my range kit for /k/ shit. I have heard that Leukotape is what you want, but I see two types, P and K. Which should I get, and is there a chink knockoff that's sufficiently good or should I go with the name brand?
>>
Looking for a new tableware set for camping; real casual stuff. Enamel has been the go-to material for years. Recently some stuff called wheat straw has been coming out as a replacement to plastic. I'm iffy on it since using metal utensils can damage them. What kind of tableware do you usually use when camping? Trying to get away from using disposable paper bowls and plates.
>>
>>2730372
plastic, metal or wood
>>
I'm probably just not using the right words, but where the hell can I find scale maps of different states or state parks at least? Like actual usable ones, like the kind you get for land-nav in the military.
I'm trying Google but I just get stupid apps and super basic trail maps from websites. I want physical maps.
>>
It's getting hot and I hate putting on suncreen. Are sun hoodies a meme for climbing or are they genuinely good to keep cool and not get sunburned?

If they're good, which do you prefer?
And also, under or over helmet if I want to use it for just hiking too?
>>
>>2729291
From the looks of it that handle could be replaceable though
>>
>>2731431
Sounds like it'll depend on where you want to visit. Searching for "Ordnance Survey Map US equivalent" took me to this page: https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/49627/what-is-the-closest-us-equivalent-to-uk-ordnance-survey-maps

Their advice seems sound
>>
>>2731431
https://www.usgs.gov/programs/national-geospatial-program/topographic-maps
>>
>>2725949
is there no /out/ archive? I wanted to look up discussions of mountains and hiking in my state (NC)
>>
>>2732210
You aren't missing much. Any discussion of east coast mountains inevitably dissolves into mindless shit-flinging because of anons with differing definitions of "mountain".
>>
>>2725949
Saw moms box in the bathroom once, think they come in packs of 8, 10 or 12
>>
>>2732230
Weird, I also saw your mom's box.
>>
>>2731515
For lower UPF stuff like 30, you can get some pretty light nylons that wick well. At maximum UPF like +50 nylons are typically dark colors, polyesters can still be white but don't breathe as well, still wicking though. Personally when it's 90F with humidity it's not bad because the alternative is sun burn. I say grab a thinner one on sale like a OR echo or similar. If nothing else it works really well for travel. Packs tiny and layers easily.
>>
File: received_680790094153400.jpg (245 KB, 2048x1152)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>2725949
how do you guys ease people into learning bushcraft skills, going camping/hiking in 2 weeks with a few guys who have basically no real outdoor skills. While we have a cabin so skills arent necessary, itd be nice for them to learn a bit without the stress that doing so when your comfort or survival depends on it. I figure I can atleast teach some basic knot/rigging stuff, and maybe fire skills, but am very open to tips about teaching (I'm comfortable doing the acts, but never taught them)

Pic is tangentially related, my new sheath for my mora garberg
>>
>>2727398
Propane tanks are stored outside so that they don't blow up firefighters when they have to go in the building to save someone. If they are accessible from the outside, they can be disconnected and removed before anybody dies from being blow up
>>
Can someone point me in the direction of a guide that answer some of my questions, or answer them yourself.
Im interested in learning about gear and clothing, so what sort of waterproof stuff is out there, like should i go with waxed fabrics and rewax them myself or goretex but that also needs “re waxing” with dwr or whatever.
Then types of gear that i might need, like what to bring with me on a hike or when going /out/.
Some stuff I’ve recently learned about is wool vs poly for base layer, and also that fleece makes for better midlayer.
Basically everything.
>>
File: 1692005881060261.png (4.09 MB, 1920x1983)
4.09 MB
4.09 MB PNG
>>2725949
can't find the knife thread
my dad's opinel n8 broke and I'm looking for a replacement
any good folding knife for skinning sheep or do I just get another n8?
>>
File: 1685254224286729.png (800 KB, 1000x1000)
800 KB
800 KB PNG
thoughts on this backpack? going on a 4 day hike soon so upgrading from my generic molleshit. seems a good midrange option, and it's on sale.
https://www.expeduk.com/products/lightning-60?variant=44151889363258
>>
>>2734175
>24kg limit bag for a 4 day hike

Unless you're basecamping or have ultralight gear, that's low but volume capacity is fine imo

>>2734155
Check on /k/
>>
>>2734251
Don't check on /k/, the knife general is PURE CANCER.

>>2734155
Get another No.8, Opinels are quality knives if you use them within their limits. If you want something smallish and durable the CRKT SIWI is a great little knife, albeit not a folder and more expensive. It will never, ever break though.

I have a No8 and love it to death, would buy another one in a heartbeat if it ever broke.
>>
>>2733929
A big thing that people need to learn is managing themselves. There's no retreat in the woods, so learning about filtering water, staying dry, managing sweat, setting up a camp, etc.

>>2734100
Your best bet is forums and videos from people in your area or whatever. See what people are using, see what the ultralighters get away with, see what the bushcrafters use.... Ultimately you will have to try things yourself.
>>
>>2734286
>Your best bet is forums and videos from people in your area or whatever
But i dont know if people are actually that or just larping. And even then if they actually know what theyre doing.
>>
File: file.png (369 KB, 1500x1500)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>2734277
thanks bro, will get another one
now I realized it was the slim model
they always break after a few years but they're dirt cheap so whatever
>>
>>2734406
>>2734277
I read on here that the one they make out of paduak wood doesn't expand while wet, so it doesn't get stiff when opening/closing. I wonder if this is true.
>>
>>2734251
yeah my base weight is like 6kg, that won't be a problem
>>
>>2734387
>muh larp
You're right, it's probably better if you just stay indoors with the other fags
>>
>>2734406
>but they're dirt cheap so whatever
Never understood this mindset. Why not pay a bit of extra money for something that will last the rest of your life and not fail you when you need it?
>>
>>2734480
>a bit of extra money
>something that will last the rest of your life
such as?
>>
is it better to see the stars in a full moon or a new moon or a half moon? im planning on driving out a few hours just to see them
>>
>>2735463
I would think the less moonlight there is on the sky the better you can see the starts. Unless you want to also look at the moon.
>>
File: IMG_20240524_125422573.jpg (2.55 MB, 2448x3264)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
I'm a trucker who decided to collect seeds from all over my home state of Texas and put them in one container. Are these trees growing too close together? Which ones should I pull out? What are these plants? There's funny 3 striped beetles on the biggest one.
>>
File: IMG_20240524_125429383.jpg (2.28 MB, 2448x3264)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>2735793
>>
File: IMG_20240524_125434715.jpg (3.05 MB, 3264x2448)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
>>2735795
>>
>>2727062
The woods are literally filled with sticks. You can pick them up off the ground.
>>
>>2735793
>>2735795
>>2735796
what the fuck anon are you trolling?
>>
>>2735799
No? wouldn't it be trolling if i made a whole new thread for this stupid question?
>>
>>2735803
they are too close together, you have somewhat dangerous non native plants there (i think its a eucalyptus, the one with the smallest leaves), its likely to start a fire by itsself. you also have a pretty toxic plant there (the eaten to shit one, smell the leaves and tell me if it smells like a normal plant)
what are you goals?
>>
>>2735805
oh non native? that sucks. there's 4 of them growing in a row. what's the best way to determine which ones to pull?
yeah smells funny.
my goal is a chaos pot of native plants. I took 3 scoops of soil every time I stopped my semi truck.
>>
>>2735805
>>2735807
just pull out the two in the middle?
>>
>>2735807
theres a chance that none of them are native, but i dont know texas plants or any burger plants in general

if you like them all you can keep them, its not going to do any harm. honestly, unless you want to put them in the ground turn them into bonsais (keep them in a shallowish pot for 2 years first though)
>>
>>2731431
The maps generated by US topo are too detailed to print on letter sized paper IMO. With https://caltopo.com you freely generate decent quality maps you can print at home.
>>
just to confirm, when sleeping outside in a bivy, without tent, the tarp is not important unless it's raining right? if i know it's not gonna rain at all during the night the bivy sack should be enough to keep out any moisture, even if it's a cheap one?
>>
>>2727303
imagine wanting a way to search for discussions about a given topic instead of just asking a question that might have been answered the week before, lol
>>
Here's a question
Is this board actually useful for anything?
>>
>>2737357
Actually, yes. I make note of the things that make autists on here screech the loudest and then I go do those things; they work out great.
>>
>>2737360
Give me a list
>>
Does anyone have any experience with these type of sandals? I have gradually gone from heavy goretex boots to lighter and lighter shoes, and I was wondering if these would be good for hiking. My feet generally sweat a lot, so my idea was to use these either barefoot or with a thin liner sock, and then possibly bring thicker socks when the seasons gets colder.
>>
i'm looking to buy a copper water bottle, for its antimicrobial effects, and refill it from a stream. kosdeg make some beautiful bottles, but they don't ship to my country. anyway on their website, they say DO NOT put hot water inside or use it over an open flame, but i'm calling bullshit. it's an unlined, single-walled copper bottle, i can't think of any reason why you couldn't boil water in it. i'd love to have an extra vessel to boil in, for rehydrating meals, or just to make extra sure the water is free from viruses etc.
what do y'all think?
>>
>>2737492
actually i just picked up a preowned kosdeg on ebay for a third the price of a new one cause it has a tiny dent. i'll test it out and see how it handles heat. looking forward to keeping this with me when im /out/
>>
>>2737492
>ayurvedic water bottle
I'd treat all of this with nothing but skepticism, anon.
>>
>>2737497
idk what ayurvedic is, but antibacterial and antiviral properties of metal are well known.
ive seen it in action with the custom water loop for my pc, throw in a silver kill coil, and it inhibits bacterial growth
im more just curious about why this particular company says not to boil in their bottles, probably cause they dont want customers to tarnish them idk. humans have been cooking in copper pots for hundreds of years tho
>>
>>2737357
i overused it a lot when i first started going out, but still i think it was a good influence overall. nowadays i use it less and know which threads are good and which aren't, and still sometimes i get something out of it. sometimes also i post and it's ok. it might be one of the better boards here
>>
>>2726777
I like to have a good idea of where water sources are before I set out
>>
>>2726753
>>2737260
archive.palanq.win
4plebs has a credits and links pages with other archives
>>
File: fuckyeahbannock.png (764 KB, 760x727)
764 KB
764 KB PNG
>>2725949
>"Bit" of a stupid question
>how do I shop online
>year of our lord 2024
i don't think the outdoors are for you if this is something you need to ask other people about.
>>
How much alcohol fuel will I need for my stove over a 2 night trip? Pleae presume that I drink a large cup of tea every 90 minutes.
>>
>>2738099
with my trangia, i can boil 2 cups (500ml) in 8mins average, with a windscreen ofc, and 1oz (30ml) of fuel has a total burn time of 15mins average. so use those values along with how much water you wanna boil (rehydrated food, tea, coffee etc.) and you should be able to work out how much to take. if i was going on a 2night trip, i'd bring my 90ml bottle, and end up with maybe 10-20ml left by the end, i like to bring a little more than i need.
>>
>>2738109
just for some little extra info, i've previously recorded some boil times to see how different fuel compares in my trangia. very nerdy i know, but what can i say i like my cook kits to be efficient
>>
>>2738109
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. So if I take 300ml I will be able to have tea on the go hourly, and still have some left over for cooking. I will take that much and play it by ear.
>>
>>2738198
that's a lot of tea, enjoy your trip :)
>>
Anyone recommend barefoot style sandals that don't
>Break immediately
>Coat as much as actual shoes

Had a pair of picrel (xeros) and while they were comfortable they wore down so quickly and were way overpriced ($80)

Don't need to be hiking all day in them, just something for 1-4 miles, around town, etc... basically a step up from your Walmart flipflops/slides

I'm ok if they're more fragile as long as they're cheap. And I don't need them to be paper thin barefoot, just flat soled. Basic summer beaters is my goal
>>
>>2738335
Leather ones.
>>
>>2738350
Sorry I forgot to mention
>Not make me look like an autistic faggot
>>
File: TREK_LIGHT_GREY.jpg (140 KB, 800x800)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>2738335
Saltic makes sandals but the least pricy is 50 euros. Look well made but never tried them.
>https://barefootsaltic.cz/kategorie-produktu/barefoot/sandale/
Alternatively you can relatively easily make your own out of leather, new rubber sheets or tires.
>>
>>2738335
crocs
>>
>>2738370
I'll check it out
>>2738381
See >>2738363
>>
>>2738363
You are trying to reinvent the wheel with synthetic modern materials, that is why you are already autistic. People were comfortably walking everywhere in LEATHER SANDALS 3000 YEARS AGO with no problems. Now here you are buying overengineered plastic products for $80 and complaining that they don't impress you, like a faggot.
>>
>>2738428
I fully understand leather sandals would be a strong option, but I don't want to look like a faggot. Thanks, though
>>
File: grandpa sandals.jpg (17 KB, 413x361)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2738465
That's sadolesbomasochist attire, to be avoided by normosexuals who wear something like picrel, preferrably with woolen socks.
>>
>>2738601
Now this I can get behind
>>
>>2737492
>>2737496
If there is enough acidity that the copper leeches into the water you are going to have a very bad time. There is a reason copper cookware is tinned.
>>
>>2738856
yes you're right, but i can't imagine any natural water sources have an acidity higher than say 6ph, with 7 being being the expected default of water. ive done a little bit of testing at home before, using filtered water and water from the tap, and testing with ph strips the filtered water was 6 and tap was 7. the biggest problem actually, would be the boiling i wanna do, that would leech more copper into the water than any amount of acidity. i find it all rather amusing tho, my friends are also warning me against this, and i asked them to do one favor for me, go check the pipes in their house which feed the taps, and tell me if they're copper? :)
>>
>>2738947
oh and copper cookware is tinned, to protect the pot, not the person. humans have never been particularly good at protecting themselves like this. asbestos insultation and lead paint are two good examples, if it works, we'll worry about the consequences later. when radium was discovered, the glow in the dark properties piqued everyone's fascination, they made clock hands glow in the dark, luminous paint, they even made glow in the dark toothpaste... well, i think we all know how that worked out
>>
File: IMG_20240602_155156.jpg (2.52 MB, 3000x4000)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
my bottle arrived today, very shiny. if anyone is wondering, it weighs 303g empty. it feels nice in the hand, not too wide or too tall. not as lightweight as a nalgene ofc. idk we'll see how it goes, i'm not worried, more curious you could say. its a solid chunk of copper and it might even get annoying hauling it around, but it has potential pros over a plastic bottle. i'll keep mindful about any symptoms of copper toxicity, namely headaches, nausea and vomiting. i don't even plan on boiling in it, i just want the option to. i typically have my 750ml toaks ti pot, which does everything i need, plus a 3L bladder to carry water, but, i prefer to measure my water intake from a bottle while im hiking, than guess how much im sipping from the bladder. and since im carrying a bottle anyway, my not let it double as another vessel to boil in should i really need to :) anyway, sorry for the blogpost lmao
>>
>>2738947
>>2738949
Pure copper is still safely used for cookware provided it's well maintained.
A copper water bottle will produce copper oxide unless coated on the inside. I recommend regular cleaning and inspection.
Old pannikins and bottles were seemingly always tinned.
>>
>>2739061
a tinned bottle would defeat my needs though, while it does require careful cleaning and upkeep for an unlined/untinned bottle, and copper toxicity could be a factor, the main reason i want this bottle, is so the water comes into contact with pure copper and over the course of a few hours should kill bacteria and even viruses. i can fill at a stream, and soon enough drink safe(r) water. no need to boil or filter :) or maybe i'll die...
>>
>>2739074
You could more safely put a piece of silver in a regular steel bottle. I wouldn't rely on that for water purification.
>>
>>2739089
ya for sure, i even mentioned silver kill coils in my original post, its definitely an option. but anyway i have this bottle now, and i got it for a great price, it will work and ill be happy, or it won't and i'll move on to another option :)
>>
>>2738465
Yeah, I actually can see what you're saying. I'm theguy you're replying to. I feel like black leather sandals, matt finish, would be the option. no fancy braidy shit. Just worn black leather ones that look more like other types of footwear. Then you're not looking like some sort of faggot on his week off. I feel like I should have been more focused on that but I don't give a fuck what things look like.

But you will always look American if you're abroad and wearing sandals, if you're a big guy. Either that or German. I have travelled a lot and when I clock a bloke in sandals (especially if he's also got on socks and a cap too) then i know who I'm talking to, as we board the plane or whatever. I would never wear sandals come to think of it.
>>
I have never worn them in my adult life because they are soft, but again, I don't give a fuck what things look like -- it's all just opinion, personal taste, and observations to me. But I still wouldn't want people to think "Heh, what a faggot" like I do when I see soft shit.
>>
>>2739093
i should mention, i'm not an idiot, or at least i hope not. i'm never going to go /out/ with a copper bottle as my only way to purify water lol. i have a sawyer micro always in my pack, and i boil a lot of water too :)
>>
File: germhogevolution.jpg (204 KB, 1024x1024)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>2739108
>>
File: Capture.jpg (94 KB, 1249x751)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Any reason why I shouldn't get pic related as my one and done headlamp?

I had a smaller/lighter one for a while and while the light output was generally sufficient for my needs, I did run out of battery a handful of times during exercises. For my needs I don't care about weight/size, but lengthy battery life for the middle brightness and most importantly, the ability to hot swap out the batteries if I ever needed to with extras I'd keep in my car or whatever, rather than be beholden to similar headlamps that have sealed battery units so the whole thing is effectively useless if the battery runs out
>>
>>2739480
replaceable batteries is my main requirement for lights these days, so as long as it has that i'd say it looks good. no experience with fenix myself tho
>>
>>2739480
Very pricy, rechargeable batteries lose power during storage. Needing a new lamp, I was looking at Energizer Hybrid a while ago.
>>
File: 12523562346.png (1.71 MB, 1200x630)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB PNG
Hello boys, it's been a few weeks since my last trip but only now I realized I should ask a question here
I've been chilling on a beach in a strong wind and decided to utilize my home made wind screen made out of tinfoil. It contained the fire well until I felt the smell of melting plastic, but I ignored it. After a minute or two my stove stopped producing fire so I got concerned, and while turning it off I burnt my fingers because the stove was really-really hot. Turns out the plastic thing inside the gas canister literally melted because of the home made wind shield. What did I do wrong?
>>
>>2739893
uhh how close was the windscreen? you should have a gap of 6in between the windscreen and the canister. if the canister gets too hot it'll explode anon
you want a folding windscreen which can stand on its own. a diy tinfoil one is only suitable for alcohol burners
https://youtu.be/_jmZ5kDOsTk?si=uIdawOiMWLf_MbPg
this dude melted his metal windscreen by putting it too close
>>
>>2739480
I would rather buy 2 cheap lightweight ones and stash them both, since they take up no room really. Or a decent one for $50 and it will last 5 years. That amount of money is simply not appropriate for a headlamp.
>>
>>2740000
>>2739721
>i'd rather buy two cheap things than one good thing
>I was "looking at" a $16 thing but decided I couldn't afford it
I guess I have more money than you both

>rechargeable batteries lose power during storage
if you think I would just keep batteries in my car all day every day during heat and cold cycles and never keep them indoors or charged prior to going out on exercises or calls then you need to be 18 or older to post here
>>
Folding twig stoves. Does titanium generally warp more or less then steel with similar use? Also related, how badly do the stainless ones rust to justify titanium?
>>
Hello :)
>>
>>2740054
>Asks for advice
>Gets answers
>Throws a tantrum over the answers.
Go fuck yourself, imbecile.
>>
>>2740054
>hurr durr if thing expensive thing good
Does your handler know you're using the internet unsupervised
>>
>>2740064
titanium is more likely to warp more than steel, for the first couple burns only make a small fire and let it go out on its own and cool off slowly, after that you should be good. stainless steel won't rust under normal use. the justification for titanium is the weight saving, if you don't care about that, then go steel. for example, the firebox 5" deluxe kit in steel is 29oz/822g vs 42.6oz/1200g for the titanium version. hope this helps.
>>
>>2740068
hi :)
>>
>>2740086
:3
>>
>>2740085
oops i got those weights backwards my bad. 29oz for titanium vs 42oz for the steel
>>
Where can I buy propane tanks that are the same size as the butane ones?
>>
>>2740074
>>2740079
>Gets answers
I got one decent answer and then got poors who got personally offended that I can afford something they can't and who got mad that I didn't buy into their attempts at rationalizing why worse things are better because they're more affordable. My mistake.
>>
>>2740094
The ones blabbering about money are usually poor themselves. Rechargeable batteries simply do not last as long as disposable ones, especially in the cold, and your lamp is no good for its price bracket. Now cry over it and take a hike, trolling mutt.
>>
>>2740054
A fool and his money are easily parted
>>
>>2727062
You're either larping or too retarded to survive in a Walmart parking lot, let alone the woods.
>>
>>2739108
Does it sound like I've got enough money to.travel lol
>>
>>2738335
Good and cheap are mutually exclusive when it comes to footware I'm afraid. We've completely phased out quality footwear at a fare price decades ago. There no longer exists a single company that wants you to not buy their shoes as often as possible. Sorry man. Either suck a few cocks for $50 and shell out for something decent in the $100+ range or buy a new Walmart pair every month. Those are your only options unless you want to get off your lazy ass and make some yourself, but we both know that's not gonna happen, after all you're only on this board to larp. Have fun in you boot and knife generals mate.
>>
>>2740399
Why are all you /out/ posters so nasty like this lol. You could have said "I have nothing useful to add and I'm gay" and saved all of us the pain of reading your shit.

Anyways, I specifically said I'm ok with them being fragile if they're cheap. Sandals costing $100+ is ridiculous and I'm not looking for a forever pair, just something ruddy enough for around town, in/out the canoe.

Like I didn't ask your faggy opinion, I asked for shoe recommendations
>>
>>2741202
>why are all you /out/ posters so nasty like this
Because citiots like you think this is a board for sandal recommendations. I bet you're the same retard that goes to /s/ and post black tranny cock. Go back to pretending to be a female on your cock sucking generals /fa/ggot
>>
>>2741202
>>2741218
Have sex already.
>>2740399
>Good and cheap are mutually exclusive
>They want you to keep buying their shit as often as possible
Not wrong. Durability costs extra and has almost no relation to production cost. Like cars certain components can be designed to be fixed and repaired but that isn't profitable and stupid people think a cheap purchase price means lower cost of ownership... their brains can't comprehend that buying it more often will cost more and incentivize retailers to prioritize purchase cost over lifecycle value.
>>
>>2727062
Protip: chopsticks are easily made from twigs you find along the way.
>>
>>2741755
In your mind you sounded cool
To everyone else you sound like a 12 year old repeating a joke grandpa tells any time anyone mentions hiking.
>>
File: Primitive-Fire[1].jpg (745 KB, 2817x1878)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
>>2725949

Anons I have a question, I am trying to recall something from a youtube video, basically youtuber mentioned about something you can find in the wild to light on fire from your existing campfire and bring it with you to your next camp site to start your next fire, and I cant remember everything, they mentioned its useful if its been raining or wood has been too wet to start a fire I am not sure hopefully someone can help me, its been on and off my mind for a bit.
>>
>>2741754
>>2741202
Samefag came back to comment after he stopped being butt hurt. You just repeated what I said in different words, completely pointless reply except to stroke your own ego, touch grass narcissist.
>>
File: IMG_20200519_165738.jpg (521 KB, 2448x3264)
521 KB
521 KB JPG
>>2741761
It's not even a joke, I make a pair in like 2-5 minutes just sitting down waiting for my food to heat up. It takes almost no effort or practice, it's seriously that easy. Then you just throw them in with your food shit and if they end up breaking or getting funky just make some new ones while you wait for your next meal to heat up. There's a reason they are such a popular eating tool, there's no art or science to it, just have two similar sticks and bam.
>>
>>2741871
Sap, animal fat, or some other oil you can find in nature. Maybe basic tar? You pretty much just need to heat something in an air tight container for a long time or just microwave corn stalks.
>>
>>2741901
IIRC it was brownish/orangish but idk if its always that color, and it almost seemed like it was like a mushroom or a fungus? I think it was really dense too but kind of firm.

Okay I stopped typing and manage to find it, not the same video just one I found, ill leave my original comment too lazy to remove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKivlSd1Zgo
>>
Are Varusteleka decent? Specifically looking at getting some of their Sarma brand of wool t-shirts, they're pretty cheap compared to other places
>>
>>2741945
Usually yes, those t shirts seem even cheaper than Decathlon's. Varusteleka has been overpriced since they started catering to mutts but now prices are insane everywhere.
>>
>>2741909
Oh yea I remember this now, I remember reading Clan of the Cave Bear, and the author explaining how early people used it.
Holy shit that video was annoying as fuck, that guy needs to learn how to edit. He repeats himself so much, fuck hes annoying.
>>
>>2741871
You can tight pack an ember in soot than wrap it to move it. It's not as easy as the movies make it look and it's usually better just to start a new one than move the old one.
>>
>>2741945
Their quality is okay, provided you're not opposed to their politics
>>
>>2742006
Or to synthetic blends.
>>
>>2741958
Yeah I skimmed through it. he's annoying, and when it showed the inside being that brownish/orangish I knew it was the one I was trying to remember.

>>2741966
Of course this was just apiece of info I wanted to remember, if I ever need it.
>>
>>2742031
The embers need to be wrapped in fresh picked leaves. That's a pretty key part I forgot to mention.
>>
if you were in heavy rain and you had;
a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a rain jacket.
would you be wetter if you wore it (inside-outside):
>jacket, hoodie, t-shirt
>hoodie, jacket, t-shirt
>hoodie, t-shirt, jacket?
would jacket “deepness” positively or negatively effect the wet protection of the skin?
>>
>>2742141
Lay off the bottle.
>>
>>2741946
>>2742006
>>2742029
Thanks anons, I'll probably pick one up to see if I like them. I'll keep an eye on decathlon though to see if their long sleeve ones go on sale for the winter. Any other places you guys recommend? The last place I got one from has more than doubled in price and I don't think it's worth it. I know icebreaker, helly hansen, etc are meant to be top tier but I don't really want to spend £80 on one shirt
>>
File: I aint that bird.jpg (33 KB, 619x495)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2741898
breh
>>
>>2742523
Sure bud, would you like to share a cropped screenshot as "proof"?
>>
File: old faithful.jpg (123 KB, 900x629)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>2742551
breh
>>
>>2742582
How do you use this chart?
And what do they mean with "panics"?
>>
File: IMG_5669.jpg (1.34 MB, 1170x1959)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
can enyone explain what's this exactly? my guess is that it's an old school ice pick, the lady that sold this to me told me that it's something for mountaneering, she wasn't sure what for. i bought it because it's forged iron, will last forever, and i may or may not use it as knuckle duster and pike combo for self defense
>>
>>2742998
it's used in climbing. you hammer it in and secure a rope to it.
>>
>>2742998
>>2743035
I thought pitons generally had a full ring rather than just a hook like anon's
>>
>>2743039
if you're using it inline it can be necessary. but you're right, both exist
>>
>>2743039
The old ones have a hook.
You can still find them in some rare places where bolting is illegal but the old Pitons are still there--like Red Rocks canyon in Colorado.
>>
>>2742964
This version is very old but when you have a debt based economy it will always follow a boom bust cycle. This is a post federal reserve establishment chart (1913) and is somewhat of a tide guide for reading the "booms" (good times) and busts "panics to hard times".

This post will probably get deleted but it makes some oddly accurate predictions.
>>
I packed my tent (leaving a campsite and going back home) while it was raining. It was very light rain. Barely a sprinkle. But moisture is moisture.

This was 5 years ago. If I find mold, can the tent be salvaged, or would it have permeated so deep by now that it's fucked?
>>
>>2744437
Check it. If it's natural materials then it's very likely you'll find a nice camo pattern over it.
>>
>>2744484
It's a synthetic tent that I bought at Target. That should be easier to clean, right?
>>
>>2744486
Only one way to find out.
>>
I want to bring some eggs on my 3 day hike, how can I store them without breaking
is the normal carton + some kitchen roll for extra padding good enough
>>
What's the better route up Mt. Washington in the White Mountains (NH) in terms of views:

(1) Starting from Pinkham Notch on the east side
or
(2) starting from the cog railway station or Ammonoosuc trailhead on the west side?
>>
>>2744906
Hard boil them first, shells on, in their carton and top of the rucksack will have them last about three days.
>>
>cotton ball half soaked in vaseline
versus
>cotton ball half soaked in paraffin wax

which burns longer? I imagine paraffin would be the be the better option regardless just becuase it would be slightly less messy than vaseline if its container broke open in a pack
>>
>>2744932
I've considered that but I want to fry them and put them in a sandwich
although I might bring some boiled ones as well to snack on
>>
Putting together go bag for fast evacuate out of house. Looking for suggestions and would like to see what you have in yours.

1. Cash (small bills) $500
2. Food for 72 hours
3. Water storage + filtration
4. 1 change of clothes
5. Packable down jacket
6. 22TD+G34; 500 rounds, 100 rounds
7. Bic lighter
8. Multi-tool / Knife
9. First aid + meds
10. Cordage (100 ft)
11. Power bank + cables
12. Flashlight / Headlamp
13. Silver (40 oz)
14. Small toiletry / sanitization kit
15. Whistle
16. Work gloves
17. Mylar blanket
18. Buff
19. Poncho Tarp
20. Zip ties
>>
>>2745028
Coghlans egg carrier

>>2745123
I would add a cup-like vessel that you can boil over a fire with. Can also scope, eat from, mix beverage or soup bases in. I would also carry at least a 3/4 foam pad for insulation and sitting and the relevant sleeping insulation. Presumably you will not be walking for 72hr straight, or may need to warm up. Plus ignoring any survivalist memes whatever gym you end up in may not be well equipped for sleeping.
>>
>>2745771
Updated

1. Cash (small bills)
2. Food for 72 hours
3. Water storage + filtration
4. 1 change of clothes
5. Packable down jacket
6. 22TD+G34; 500 rounds, 100 rounds
7. Bic lighter x2
8. Waterproof matches
9. Ferro rod
10. Multi-tool / Knife
11. First aid + meds
12. Cordage (100 ft)
13. Power bank + cables
14. Flashlight / Headlamp
15. Stack of silver (40 oz)
16. Small toiletry / sanitization kit
17. Whistle
18. Work gloves
19. Mylar blanket
20. Buff
21. Poncho Tarp
22. Zip ties
23. Magnifying lens
24. Notepad + pencil
25. Gorilla tape
26. Backpacking gas stove + fuel
27. 750 mL titanium pot with lid
28. Spade for digging
29. Ground stakes
30. Canvas needles
31. Ranger bands
32. Optics (16x32)
>>
File: file.png (225 KB, 451x456)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
Question: I have this portable stove thingy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D1K9W4KZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If I were to make a "fuel puck" out of cardboard and paraffin wax - How effective would that be?I'm just worried it won't get hot enough to do cooking
>>
>>2745123
A go bag, 72-hour bag, bug out bag is just a bag to move from point A to point B, it's supposed to sustained you for three days (Longer with skill / knowledge), so unless you're trying to fuck off to the woods to live, you're going to want to make like an INCH bag (I'm Never Coming Home) for that.

Ditch the take down and 500 rounds.

Standalone tarp, sure the poncho can act as a tarp, but if you got it set up and have to work out in the rain, your poncho is now being used, so add a small standalone tarp.

Make a ridge line with anchor points already mad, have the end tie offs already on your tarp or poncho.

Food is really not an issue because you can go several weeks without food, it sucks, but it's doable, if anything throw in a small ass jar of peanut butter and some jerky sticks.

Get rid of the silver, you won't need it.

Toss in some crocs or river shoes, something to use if you need to cross some water and don't want to take the chance of fucking your feet up or getting your current shoes wet, also you can wear around camp if your actual shoes need to dry.

Map/compass of current area, where you're going, surrounding areas. City maps are beneficial too.

Important documents on USB drive, or laminated for insurance, fapping, personal, whatever reason.

Very small portable radio so you can listen to events, because as previous disasters have happened, phones go down, internet too at times is shotty, also won't drain phone battery.

Replace Mylar blanket with a Mylar tarp, more heavy duty, doesn't rip, can be used as a tarp, it doesn't make fucking NOISY AS SHIT noises when you use it, it being thicker helps retain heat more.

If you want to shed off some weight, get a sawyer filter and smart water bottles, the filter can connect to those bottles and take care of your needs, try to run the water through some sort of cloth filter to it doesn't clog the filter, toss in a metal nesting cup if you want to boil water. Aso some water purification tablets.
>>
>>2746317
Awful idea. That's a twig stove. Don't use cardboard. Just use tinder and twigs.
>>
I got this exact backpack from a thrift store. It's Mountainsmith and the only marking I can find on it just says Vista. The only thing I can find online is a single eBay listing that claims it's 23L. That's definitely wrong. It seems like it's at least 45L, maybe 55L including the head.

Does anyone else have this pack or any info on it? It has a couple features I'm not sure the purpose of.
>>
>>2729367
Nonstick pans haven't been Teflon since the 90s. Good ones nowadays are ceramic or heavily anodized aluminum.
>>
>>2730372
Vintage enameled steel and some random thrift store pots and pans.
>>
>>2730372
Just buy a set of titanium tablewear from aliexpress. I've got a burner, a folding frying pan, a boiling pot, and a fork/spoon. They weigh hardly anything all put together, it's crazy how durable and lightweight they are, and I don't think I'll ever need to replace them. The whole lot was around $60.

Picrel: enamel mugs are also great
>>
File: beemug.jpg (127 KB, 1450x1279)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>2747025
This one is a delight to drink from while /out/ and weighs nothing much.
>>
>>2747021
...Tefflon was only one of the issues with non-stick
The main issue is the bonding agent they use to get the non stick material to "stick" to the substrate. That's still toxic AF.
>>
>>2729367
The issue is the bonding agent that affixes the non stick surface to the pan substrate.
Unsurprisingly the research is behind paywalls.

Here are some aspects that aren't debated.
https://www.thepipettepen.com/ask-a-toxicologist-is-it-safe-to-use-teflon-pans/

Essentially it is known that at certain temperatures the bonding agents will offgass toxic chemicals... as will many of the coatings.

The quality of the manufacture (how much you trust chyna) is how much of that offgassing you can expect .. not "is there offgassing" but "how much offgassing you can expect on average at certain temperatures"

This comes down to "how much do you trust the government"
People that suck government cock love non stick
People that are well aware of the history of "the government said it's safe" will see the pattern and avoid nonstick like the cancer it is.

There is no convincing government trusting cocksusckers that the official narrative is "science trusting" when it isn't, it's advertiser and government trusting--which is stupid.
>>
>>2747122
>>2747128
>>>/x/
>>
>>2747183
Here is a prime example of a government cocksucker.
>Reee I don't agree so it's a conspiracy ree
This is a perfect example of a midwit trying to put down someone who is smarter than they are.

Stay mad midwit.
>>
>>2747186
I've anodized aluminum myself. There is no "binding agent." You sound like a flat earther.
>>
>>2747190
And I'm not sure how ceramic and enamel are applied to metal, but the surface is essentially glass, one of the most inert substances there is. Glass can safely contain radioactive waste. It's not offgassing anything into your food.
>>
>>2747190
>I eat off of anodized aluminum
I can see why your only argument is an ad hominim. You don't know shit about chemistry. I can teach a monkey to anodize aluminum--you're clearly not smart enough to understand anything more complicated than that part.
>>2747192
>There is no off gassing issues with a glass or ceramic coating
Keep telling yourself that.

I love you trust the government and trust mega corporations retards. Neither of you know enough about material science to say anything intelligent but you read enough reddlt and watch enough TV to parrot the corporate narratives to a T.

Pottery.
>>
>>2747190
There is absolutely a binding agent since aluminium is an alloy.
>>
>>2747223
It's an electroplating process that is basically controlled rusting. Usually when things are anodized they embed other materials in the oxidation layer to create colors or nonstick coating.

The issue with oxidized aluminum is it reacts to shit your cooking with and it builds up in the body. For example people intentionally use aluminum when dying material because it chemically reacts with a lot of natural dies to intensify the color.

Even anodized aluminum is shit though--the coating scrapes off.
>>
>>2747229
Don't worry about having a serious discussion with him, anon; he's trolling.
>>
>>2747231
fuckoff
go back to reddlt if you want to gate keep.
>>
>>2747229
Aluminium is an alloy making use of mineral brass. Oxidized or not, it requires a polymer, e.g. glue, to stay together like all alloys, which are aluminium.
>>2747231
Study metallurgy at university for 32 years like I did, then we can talk.
>>
>>2747312
Schizo word salad.
>>
>>2747423
And yet no proof came.
>>
>>2747018
It's very similar to the Cirque, which I also can't find any info on and can only find on eBay.
>>
>>2747312
I worked in an aerospace materials research lab.
I'm mostly agreeing with everything you've said but the anodization IS ONLY oxidation--you CAN dope it with other stuff which could be a polymer.

The usual chemical reaction to anodize is:
2Al + 3H2O => Al2O3 + 3H2

There are no polymers in that equation... however: eating off aluminum is stupid because it does chemically react with a lot of cooking ingredients.

>>2747423
This is makes you sound like a retarded looser who can't make an intelligent point--it isn't the gotcha you clearly think it is.
>>
>>2747223
>>2747190
Ahh, I see the issue. Binding Agent and Polymer are not the same thing. A binding Agent CAN be a polymer but a binding agent doesn't have to be a polymer.

Most "anodized" cookware uses a dopant (usually a polymer) so the anodization process is embedding the dopant into the surface of the material. You could argue the anodization is a binding agent for the dopant and most material science people I've ever worked with would consider it splitting hares but accurate.
>>
>>2747727
The binding agent (that would be polymeric tetramorphic polymer glue) ties brass together, which is the base component of aluminium, which is an alloy. There is no other true alloy, aluminium is all alloys.
>>
>>2747752
Aluminum is atomic number 13 and it's symbol is Al. IT IS NOT AN ALLOY.

However:
1100 aluminum alloy, which is commonly used in cookware, has the following composition:
Si: 0.95 Si+ Fe
Fe: 0.95 Si+ Fe
Cu: 0.05-0.20
Mn: 0.05
Mg: –
Cr: –
Zn: 0.10
Ti: –
Others-Each: 0.05
Others Total: 0.15
Al Min: 99.00

It has a minimum of 99% aluminum and again, zero polymers in this.

I really don't get where you're going with this--there is no polymer anywhere in the anodization process without dopants or in the 1100 Alloy. Aluminum is used very commonly with non stick coatings that ARE applied with binding agents though.

If we start talking about layered pans or coated pans that changes things but it doesn't seem like you are or if you are you're not explaining anything well at all.
>>
>>2747752
Admit it, you're the "waterproof isn't waterproof" asshat, aren't you
>>
>>2747760
No one cares about your cross threading grudges. Some people get drunk and post stupid shit one day and the next day they're posting about the chemical systems between mushrooms and trees. This just makes your argument look weak and has no impact on who you're accusing of whatever.
>>
>>2747760
>Every stupid post on this board must have been made by the same retard
>>
>>2747756
Wrong. Aluminium is an alloy composed of mineral brass. We're not talking of coating layers, the glue is in the alloy to allow it to keep together.
You're clearly very well informed, nevertheless this is a gaping hole in your knowledge baggage I'm willing to fill.
>>
>>2747781
Post official documentation, not a screenshot of the first AI response in your browser, that brass is a mineral (and not an alloy) and that aluminum is an alloy (and not a metal from the periodic table).
>>
>>2747781
..ok.
well whatever school that taught you metallurgy: I recommend you ask them for a refund.
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/element/Aluminum
>>
>>2747786
>American website
Please. I studied metallurgy at university for 32 years, I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>2747018
Mountainsmith has no record of making a pack called Vista, but they said that's normal if it was made before 2002.

>>2747781
>pajeet metallurgy
>>
>>2747781
>t. Boeing engineer
>>
>>2747815
>shots fired
>literally
>anon will now be suicided
>>
>>2747813
Keep dreaming, aluminium is an alloy.
>>2747815
I worked for Boing, Beretta, Derux, Alfa, Stankorankesteivstalnoy and a few others as a chief expert metallurgist.
>>
>>2747819
Then you should have no problem with >>2747785
>>
>>2747820
The burden of proof falls on those detaching from the commonly accepted theory which would be you, but I might give a detailed technoscientifical explanation of the alloy bondage process tomorrow.
>>
>>2747231
This. Report and move on.
>>
>>2748166
Here's the faggot obsessed with Italy lmao.
>>
>>2747777
Blessed digits
>>
>>2747815
>Makes a jeet joke and disses boing in two words.
I laughed twice. Thanks anon.
>>
>>2727398
>>2727383
>>2727402
>>2727839
>>2727861
>>2734001
Firefighter here, keep it outside please.
>>
>>2727398
>Sure, it will blow up
That's bad.
>>
Anything specific to look for when buying a pocket/compact binocular or are they all kinda the same?
>>
>>2725949
I'm planning on hiking through california wilderness and camping on national park land, most likely outside of a camping site. Do all I need to do to avoid random mountain lion attacks in the night is sleep in a tent and seal off my food?
>>
>>2749887
You should be able to find the wild life reports for the area you're going through. If you can't call the closest ranger station to the trail you're going to and ask them about cat activity.

I would defiantly bag and hang your food. I keep most of my food in a dry-bag that I'd keep it in regardless of if I was hanging it or not and enough cordage to hang it weighs almost nothing.
>>
External frame packs from kelty yay or nay? Got a 85liter internal but it was really struggling above 50 pounds. Also I could feel the gear digging into my back.
>>
>>2750628
I'm under the impression americans still use external frames because of a lack of good quality local alternatives. External frames haven't existed in Europe for decades.
>>
anyone have any idea what the absolute, bare-minimum number of calories per day it would take for someone to survive through an entire winter? i get that there's other nutrients involved, but that's a discussion for another day.

i'm very well prepared for an economic collapse myself, but i've begun succumbing to sentimental foolishness, and i'd like to prepare for some of my neighbors as well, but there's no way i could afford to feed them all properly.
i get that children's growth with be stunted, and many will die from sickness, but i'd at least like to give it an honest effort. could someone actually make it on 200 calories per day all through winter, even if they didn't move around very much?
>>
>>2750732
Lmfao.
>>
>>2750732
>How much food do I need to survive winter if there is an economic collapse
This is measured in bullets, not calories.
>>
>>2750991
you'll notice i asked for others, not myself. i'm already set on max comfy.
but for most of them, you're correct. but ammo is a pretty finite thing, primer isn't the easiest to make ~100% reliable bullets, so i'd not waste such a precious resource on mercy kills. that's what the mulberry tree is for.

>>2750812
oh come on, it's going to be boring if i was the only survivor in town.
but don't worry about answering, as i've already found the correct answer for retarded unprepared neighbors that i've decided are allowed to live is primate feed.
>>
File: Capture321.png (318 KB, 1472x753)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
I'm thinking about quitting my summer job in nyc and doing something cool with my vacation time. My gear would just be a $200 used Trek bike and a backpack with food, a kindle, some math books and a $20 sleeping bag. I plan on finding bushes in towns and cities and sleeping there. I'm pretty sedentary but I've been biking 20 miles every day for the last two weeks. I'm a wreck. My dopamine receptors are messed up due to my lack of will to power to quit screen time. I feel that this could be good for me, but it could just be me being impulsive. I don't know whether to take Mt Katahdin off my route or not because I think I'd be going days without seeing civilization. I don't want to meet skinwalkers or bears at night. I have to be back in NYC by the 5th of August.

What do you anons think? Is it a good trip? Should I skip Katahdin and just go from Boston back to NYC? I'm interested in Katahdin because it's pretty and because of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k2dEGml5WA
>>
>>2749887
you don’t need to worry about mountain lion attacks, you should be worried about bears though depending where you are. have you, i dont know, checked the website of the national park or talked to them? they all display things to be concerned about or regs as relates to food storage
>>
File: 107410479_p0.png (4.67 MB, 3111x2200)
4.67 MB
4.67 MB PNG
Might be a quite dumb question, but

I'm looking for food safe containers to take a bit of coffee and sugar (enough for 2mugs, 3 maybe) with me on bike trips. I thought about small glass jars, but I'm bit worried it might break.

Any ideas?
>>
>>2751342
I use the flat-ish rectangular Tupperware-style containers. You can find them at second hand stores in all sorts of dimensions. You want the ones with the beefier plastic. Just put the coffee and whatever else in ziplock bags inside the Tupperware.

I also have some old gut-health bottles that hold something like 4 tablespoons that I keep liquid ingredients in.
>>
>>2751345
Tupperware-style would work, but I haven't found anything small enough here. Well, I'll keep looking.
>>
>>2725949
not sure if this is out or diy but recently i have become somewhat fascinated with stonemasonry and mining. are there any good resources for underground mining for the hobbyist? I am in the process of building a stone culvert/bridge on some property and have been skdding stones out of the creek with a sled and ropes but am interested in open pit quarrying or tunneling to search for more rocks/minerals and ground water. I have a hard time finding info on how to dig.
>>
If I'm going swimming at a beach (lake) alone, what are some things I can do with my car keys? I don't think the fob is water proof/resistant...
>>
>>2751468
Immersion-proof bag or hiding them in a spot you can surveil from any angle and provides no near cover.
>>
>>2751477
>Immersion-proof bag
Hmm, thanks. I see a store on the way has some in stock... I guess I'll pick one up. Might double wrap in a ziploc bag as well.
>>
Has anyone done the John Muir trail southbound? I got a last minute permit for next Sunday the 14th. Dont have time to mail any food Resupply’s I don’t think. Am I cooked or can I survive the trail without Resupply? This is my first ever thru hike so I’m new
>>
Is there such thing as a hillness/non flat terrain index?

Like rockies are more jagged than Appalachian, tetons more jagged than rockies. Flat parts pf Pennsylvania are more rough than the flat plains of Ohio etc.
I want to look up how hilly different parts of the world so I could compare. Like how you can compare average yearly temps between cities and climates.
>>
>>2752401
Surface roughness might be what you are looking for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_roughness?useskin=vector#In_Earth_Sciences
>>
I have an 8x6 tarp. What's the best shelter configuration for this size?
>>
File: a3ZxK88_460s.jpg (26 KB, 460x230)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
How the fuck do I explain/relate a 2km walk with a 150m rise to a woman?
She keeps saying shit like "well I don't know how far that is :((" and... I'm just fucking stumped.
>>
>>2752461
How big is the nearest mall she frequents.
>>
>>2752459
Assuming you are short and fit inside the 8ft length with decent overhang, A frame, lean-to, half pyramid. If it's just an emergency shelter or something you pop up for eating or you are short, enjoy. If you don't have a good few inches of over hang, you may consider a larger length for sleeping in rain.
>>
What's the best size tarp if you don't have trees to tie a ridge line to? Let's say you only had 2 trekking poles as your supports.
>>
>>2752788
I'd use a 10x10 and make an A-frame with it; you can fold the extra in underneath and use it as a "floor" for your stuff
>>
Any recommendations for binoculars to keep in my car for scenic observation and birdwatching Nothing too huge, willing to splurge a bit for something nice but not ridiculously expensive either. Adjustable zoom would be cool too.
>>
>>2752461
Just tell her it's not so far/30 minutes tops
>>
>>2752461
Easy
It's flat as fuck and not that long of walk.
>>
>>2754238
Look at Mr. Fitness over here
>>
>>2747022
Not him but what's the point of enamel?
>>
>>2754636
Originally? I think it was to seal metal against air, water, acids, etc; prevents rust and coats the thing in a relatively nonreactive material.
>>
>>2725949
Do you guys know any good marching/hiking songs?
>>
File: rain-cape.jpg (61 KB, 800x800)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Best gear for being out in the sun in a hot somewhat dry area?

Would a rain cape (pic related) be fine for blocking the sun? My plan is to wear a short sleeve shirt, shorts, hat with neck protection and throw something poncho-like to block the sun rays throughout my torso and limbs.

Please, recommend me the best options. I do NOT care about looks or seeming autistic.
>>
>>2756383
Bubba what the hell is wrong with you HAHAHAHAHAHA have you ever left your house before?
Just be normal.
>>
>>2756383
Ignore the italian. You'd be better off just wearing something like a fishing shirt, long sleeves but light material. Your picrel would block the sun for sure, but palatkas are heavy material and you might sweat half to death.
>>
>>2756440
The only italian here is the one railing your momma, stupid fucking bovine. You wrote the same thing as me, all while looking like a faggot. Fuck outta here. Go outside and see how normal people react to a larping zoomer in a cape HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you bloody idiot.
>>
>>2756442
>t. va a letto con le pecore perché le donne non lo toccano
>>
>>2756510
>t. Wog
Condolences, bubba. This is an English board.
>>
>>2738335
Earthrunners Primal. Bar none. Got mine months ago and combined with foot and leg strengthening work and a lot of miles hiking I can attest to it's validity and versatility. I also train at gym (strength and treadmill) using barefoot type running shoes (Merrell Trail Glove)
Even came accross some guy that did an 11 year review using that exact model of sandals and they can still get another year out of 'em. Look no further. It's worth the foot effort and 10 day wait time.
>>
>>2756442
What was it like growing up in Naples? Do you enjoy camping because it reminds you of your childhood bedroom?
>>
>>2756440
Thanks!

>>2756442
>You wrote the same thing as me
And you revealed yourself as a terminally online imbecile. Practice talking to people IRL.
>>
>>2756572
You tell us, never set foot in wogistan.
>>2756619
You want to cover yourself with a shelter half. In the summer. Have you ever left your house?
Do you also wear strap shoes because you can't tie them? Fucking hell the mental cases of this board.
Get a bloody grip you sad clown, you're not quirky just pathetic.
>>
>>2725949
Anyone have any recommendations for a dumbphone that can call/text, with long battery life and thats rugged enough to handle being in a pocket that might get bumped by rocks and other stuff? I was looking at some CAT phones and the Nokia tough phone, but I figured yall may have some tips.
>>
>>2756809
I would never buy Nokia again, CAT seem to have laughable prices.
I'd get a non-touch brick cellphone, preferably old Nokia, and put it in a small drybag.
>>
>>2726777
They don’t. I’m literally the only one here who’s ever done it. I’m not joking.

Logistics differ by location. You’ll probably need two accommodations to bookend your trip. After your flight, you’ll have to buy fuel for your stove then travel to the National Park. Popular spots have shuttles, many have buses, and some have trains. As far as I know, there are no trailheads at any airports.

So you either land, buy fuel (and bear spray), then head to a hotel or get to a campground in the NP, or you land, stay at a hotel, then buy fuel and shuttle in the next morning. The latter is safer because flights can be delayed but shuttles and busses don’t run 24/7.

The same goes for heading home. You’ll want a shower somewhere and probably some junk food. Hotels are more comfy, have laundry service, and rides are more flexible. If you can only afford one, the second night in a hotel is the better option.

TSA has a pretty extensive list of things you can’t bring onto a plane. Trekking poles, tent stakes, pocket knives, axes, saws, and shovels (even tiny aluminum trowels) have to be checked. AliExpress sells cheap trekking pol storage bags that are perfect for this. Fuel and bear spray can’t be brought on a plane, so unless you’re using a twig stove you’ll have to buy them when you arrive. Firearms have their own rules, so look into that if you plan on carrying. Each airline has different size requirements for carryons, but unless you have a monstrous 70L pack you’ll be fine.

I’ve never checking everything. If it’s a regular travel trip for business or vacation or whatever and they lose your stuff it’s not that big of a deal. But if you’re going hiking and they lose everything you might as well turn around and go home.

Also, you could just roll the dice that the dumbfuck TSA tards done even know the rules. There are lots of anecdotes about people just bringing everything into the plane. I wouldn’t risk that either.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.