[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hy Ya'll

Currently preparing for my first camping trip,we gonna stay a couple days,in the wilderness.
there are three of us,none of us ever went camping,
We are planning on bringin our own food,and cooking on fire.
What are the most essential supplies and gear we gonna need?

We are planning on camping next to a huge river,but i think we need to bring our own water.
The other two guys are software engineers,i'm a ranchand,so planning the trip comes down to me because they have no idea what to bring but to be honest,i don't have much idea myself.

So far,i'm planning on bringing
Cookware(kettle,coffe pot, pans)
Metal grate for grilling
Spices,
Lots of smoked meat,salted beef,pork etc.
Knives,ropes,tarps,tents,blankets
a flashlight
matches
metal cups
Map and compass,
And around 10 gallons of water.

We gonna stay for four days. i would like to return very much alive.

What else should i bring? also,is my water calculations accurate?

Thanks
>>
>>2726209
>none of us ever went camping,
None of us have ever been camping.

You sound like a nigger
>>
>>2726209
It's much easier to first figure out what -you- need and work from there, for three people. You'd like a blanket? Bring three. Single-person tent? Three, I guess. But it's a bit bizarre that you're responsible for their gear and their food. Sounds like babysitting.

You've listed (more than) the essentials, but are you car camping or hiking in? Lot of shit to haul in on your back.

Also, bring a BIC lighter or similar disposable in addition to your matches. Matches get wet. You might also want to consider bringing a water filter.

>>2726250
Fuck (you).
>>
File: 1713325497542972.jpg (144 KB, 720x886)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>2726209
First aid kits. More water or a filter. Focus on how you will sleep. Consider hammocks, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, and cots. Consider how you will store your food to be safe from insects and woodland critters. Bring battery packs to charge your phones, but also a book or frisbee for entertainment without batteries. If you are making a campfire consider a silky saw for processing firewood. Consider a radio for ambiance or weather broadcasts.
>>
File: 1713325288561960.gif (3.85 MB, 334x478)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB GIF
>>2726209
Ziplock bags to hold your trash. Trowels and tp for when nature calls.

A great pair of boots and extra socks.
Go to a local park and simulate. Get to know everything in your pack and how you will organize. Does the river have fish? Easy way to spend a day. Crocs for water shoes if you plan to cross or enter river.
>>
Where are going to poop? Need to dig a hole for that and later bury it. At least 200 feet away from the river. How you going to protect your food from the wildlife? Not just the larger critters but tiny ones will chew through, too. You're staying by a river? That's where the biting bugs prefer. What if somebody goes off and gets lost? Is there mobile phone service there? What if the batteries are dead, do you have a power bank with each of you, cable? Paper map and compass you know how to use. Recipes? Do you know how to build a cooking fire versus a general fire? Do you know what a widowmaker is? What if one of you gets the chts, do you have electrolyte and anti-diarreahl? Wipes? Toielt paper? Rain jackets?

And you do know wearing cotton kills, right?

BTW 10 imperial gallons of water weighs almost 80 pounds. A water filter weighs only about a pound. But you need to store the water.

Do you have a tarp if it pours rain? Hats?

You got some learning to do before you go /out/. You can't just wing it. Lots of good resources for beginners on the web. Best start reading up. The good news is that us retards were beginners once too. Get out there and have fun.
>>
>>2726209
You should go car camping, first. Remote "wilderness" camping would be a disaster at this phase. You don't know what you are doing. Let the car carry all the weight you are bringing for now.

If you are bringing knives, bring tourniquets and first aid bandages. At least one of you is going you slice himself or worse, fall on a blade.

Uncured pork goes bad fast.

Bring flashlight or headlamps plus extra batteries for each of you. Each carries a whistle.

What are you using to carry all this? Divide it up.

Ten gallons water next to a water source?

Go car camping, anon. And for fewer than 4 days/3 nights. What you describe tends not to end well.

Report back afterwards. Also watch the film Deliverance.
>>
>And you do know wearing cotton kills, right?
This is beyond retarded. Millions of people , right now, are camping wearing all cotton clothing with no ill effect.
Is this some kind of REI advert campaign ? "You just gotta buy our man made materials Bro, 'Cuz cotton kills."

and yes. I am confident I have spent more hours outside than you have alive.
>>
>>2726209
>Where are going to poop? Need to dig a hole for that and later bury it. At least 200 feet away from the river.

Bro- Don't listen to any of these eco faggots.
There are few things more satisfying than getting naked in a cool mountain stream fed pool, leaning back and relaxing your body as you float in the cool mountain water and having a huge bowel movement.
I do it at the ocean all of the time but it is even better in a cool mountain stream fed pool.
>>
>>2727506
This
I tend to rub some of the poo on my face aswell, and get some in my mouth on purpose, before washing it off when getting out.
>>
take some really easy protein bombs like tuna pouches and nuts just incase your food plans go horribly wrong
>>
>>2728311
The whole trip looks to go wrong. They should invest in a satellite rescue device and buy the accompanying insurance. Although this has to be a jerk off op.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.