[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714513310686676.jpg (218 KB, 1290x1865)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
Anyone got any experience with bivvy bags? I'm looking into buying one on the cheaper end. There's tyvek ultralight bags, there's heavier ones, weight isn't a huge concern for me personally but I like light stuff if it's reasonably durable. Rain and mosquitoes are my primary concerns, I'd like a face cover of some kind
>>
>>2726610
>Anyone got any experience with bivvy bags?
Only tropical bags, which are basically bivies with some extra insulation and breathability.
The snugpak "jungle bag" sucks. Keeps the rain and theflies out, but because of that "put two together to make space for your nonexistens gf" gimmick they have, there's a 4cm gap between the two zippers that snakes or spiders can get in through. Not the kind of thing you want to figure out when you're in a tropical storm and a habu is searching for warmth...
The carinthia tropical bag is alright, and also waterproof enough for strong rain. Too warm for actual tropics, perfect for temperate climate and supposedly (haven't tried it yet) suitable for down to -40C with the Def4 inside it.

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on a classic (fully waterproof, non-insulated) bivy unless you're planning on going into a swamp or somewhere else where you might end up in a pool of water.
>>
>>2726610
>starts raining
>confined to his bivvy
>have to just lie there
You didn’t think this through. They’re a meme.
>>
>>2726610
I had the alpine something or another from outdoor research, but condensation was too much of a problem even with the fly down, so I returned it
>>
>>2726630
Jokes on you, I'm into that shit!
>>
>>2726623
You keep the tropen inside the def4.
I wouldn't recommend it down to -40, maybe -20-30 if the rest of your sleeping gear is good, but my personal experience is a bit off due to combining it with a FDF foam mat that only has a 2.0 R value.
-40 might work, but at that point you're surviving, not sleeping.
>>
>>2726610
Rain is the entire fucking point of them. They are for cowboy camping. They are great if you don't feel like setting up a tent, check out a used military gore tek one I have one and it's great for basically everything. After 20 miles i simply don't feel like setting up a tent and can just instantly setup my sleep system mine also has a bug cover. Also it is king for setting up camp in slanted, cluttered, etc space.
>>
>>2726630
I will crawl around the forest floor like a worm while it downpours on my bivvy bag and I am comfy and warm inside, and tentfags will seethe about it
>>
>>2726950
Automod reminder: Please mark all spoilers for Denis' upcoming God Emperor of Dune.

I am a bot and this action was performed automatically.
>>
>>2726610
I got one from a military surplus store and it's superb if a bit heavy/bulky. Perfect for uk weather
>>
>>2726950
Oh, I am seething. And wearing fresh comfy changed clothes while it's pouring outside and sitting upright and stretching. Later I'm reading my book from an overhead light then sleeping in any configuration my body wants while my gear stays dry.

t. tent fag
>>
>>2727360
Post a single image of you doing this. We all know you tentfags dont actually /out/.
>>
>>2726922
>You keep the tropen inside the def4.
Why in that configuration? The Tropen is the bigger of the two, and the Def 4 fits rather tight on it's own already.
>>
>>2727738
The manifacturer recommends as such.
Defence 4 has a water repellent finish, less volume might be better in such cold.
>>2726623
If you're referring to Cartinthia tropen, that's not a bivy, it's a sleeping bag with a mosquito net.
A bivouac sack is weatherproof and uninsulated.
>>2726922
What are some good, sanely priced mats for extreme cold?
>>
>>2726630
You don't carry a poncho?
>>
>>2727738
Keeping the Tropen outside is like wearing your baselayer outside of your hardshell.
The Tropen is a warm weather bag. It's less concerned with keeping out drafts and allows water vapor to easily travel through it. Keeping it inside the bag allows the Tropen to more effectively add to the insulation of the Defense 4.
The Defense 4 should be sized to fit the Tropen inside of it, so if it's too tight, then you ordered too small of a size or you're trying to bring too much stuff into the bag with you.
>>
>>2727740
You have a choice between eating in the rain and not eating in the rain, and anyone who’s done both knows what the right choice is.

And how would you get from your bivy into your poncho if it’s raining in the morning?
>>
>>2727740
They won’t keep you dry.
Or maybe they’re not waterproof. It’s a little confusing.
>>
>>2728969
>thinking that ponchos keep people dry in 2020+4
>thinking that umbrellas stop rain in 2030-6
>thinking that the roof of your car will keep precipitation away in 1900+124
ngmi
ngmi
>>
>>2726630
>You didn’t think this through.
Nobody ever does, they're a fucking nightmare to sleep in, especially in the rain.
Can keep you less damp in a snowcave or tent in the rain, and keep you alive but uncomfortable if you're caught out in a storm.
But I'm sure that everyone that gets one thinking "this is my new home" only ever does it once.
I got mine for emergencies, and could count on one hand the number of trips it's been used on, none of them comfy.
>>
There is not a single reason to carry one of these shitty coffins. You can get good quality aliexpress tents that weigh half a bivvy for like 100 bucks and you can actually sit up, cook, move around, eat, read, won't get fucked up by condensation and get your sleeping bag damp.

>>2726630
Yeah, miserable.
>>
>>2728969
Aww, I see you had to run away to this thread to get support after getting BTFO'd in the other bivy thread.
It's not that confusing, you retarded anglos think the world is black and white, it's very simple, a poncho works as extra sheltering to help keep you dry, but it is *not* waterproof. It does *not* encase you, therefor it does *not* prevent splashback, and it obviously does *not* prevent streams from running into your sleeping spot during rain. A good tent or bivy thats true to their rating is waterproof within that rating. I tried to tell you this with the example between a drysack and a general backpack, but you were too retarded. Now leave this thread as well, and at least attempt to go outside.
>>
>>2729414
>ponchos aren’t waterproof
This is why no one listens to non-Americans
>>
>>2729414
>hurr durr btfod
That's all anyone needed to see you're retarded anon, you didn't have to keep typing
>>
>>2729415
Entirely depends on the poncho. Also nice strawman, faggot.
>>
>>2729427
Yeah, of course thats the furthest you managed to read.
>>
>>2729430
Don’t just say someone’s wrong. Prove he’s wrong; show us some non-waterproof ponchos.
>>
>>2729433
>prove he's
No, Im not spoonfeeding you, a redditor, pretending to not be that person when its so clearly you, because you have no experience with ponchos. You can take one look at some "waterproof" ponchos on amazon and check how many are actually waterproof. Even the ones that have waterproofing will have water coming through if they have the hood in the middle.
>>
>>2729435
>no I won't back up anything I say
Then your opinion is worthless and will be discarded accordingly
>>
>>2729435
>everyone is the same person!
No, there are a solid half dozen people letting you know how stupid you are. You’ll never live down that screen shot; it’s literally one of the dumbest things ever posted in /out/.
>>
>>2729024
There's no way a bivy isn't lighter and smaller than a tent if made out of the same material. It's impossible. That's the use case, a bivy is an emergency shelter that's light and small so if you don't end up using it, it's not so bad to carry.
>>
>>2729453
Yeah, except I did examplify it, so go back to plebbit now.
>>2729480
Ok, samefag. Run away again now.
>>
>>2729435
>there’s no such thing as a waterproof poncho
They all have “hoods in the middle”
>>
File: 479165f97e936e27f3.jpg (49 KB, 426x500)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>2729593
>they all have hoods in the middle
Don't know which one of you is the idiot, but that's not true.
>>
>>2729593
If they have a protruding hood with a solid neck like the MLD poncho, they can be rolled closed.without issue.
>>
>>2729594
This poncho is made out of a waterproof material, which as we’ve discussed =/= keeping you dry.
>>
>>2729599
The MLD poncho is made of 20d/1.2oz silnylon, most likely with a hydrostatic head test value of 3,000mm. Unfortunately it won’t keep you dry because this is a waterproof fabric.
>>
>>2729603
The trick is to use a material that is as far from waterproof as you can get. I go out in monsoon season wearing a DIY poncho of cheesecloth and cotton candy. I have never been wet.
>>
>>2729593
They do not, faggot, youre just in a circle of non innovative ponchos. Jerven, Helsport, Dovre, etc. do not have the retarded middle hood.
>>
>>2729639
Hahahahahha holy fucking shit hahahahahahahahaha!
I love everything about this!
>>
>>2726610
There are cheap ass "bivvy" tents that have the same form but two poles to keep them off your body. I've used a cheap-o 3-season one from Amazon that worked just fine under a tree in the spring. But personally I wouldn't want a bivvy bag. Having your outer layer not kept off your body is a problem. It's just begging to wake up wet and covered in bug bites. If it's three seasons stuff you're doing, then whatever: you just want something between you and outside. But you need that something not to be touching you or it isn't offering you any real protection. The air between the covering and you is the protective environment that a tent is creating.
>>
>>2729601
>waterproof material
>=/= keeping you dry
Boy are you just confusing waterproof and water resistant? It's made out of treated canvas, keeps the weather out really well - firsthand experience. I gave some of the trouble spots on mine an extra beeswax coating. It's not waterproof. It's water repellent at best. It won't keep me dry in a torrential downpour.

I have no idea what argument you're trying to make. Sounds like you have no concept of the difference between water repellent/resistant/proof desu.
>>
>>2729642
Yeah, that functions as a poncho. Anything else? Did it blow your mind seeing innovation?
>>
>>2729665
Not that anon but it doesn't, though. Put on a waterproof poncho some time and go trudge through the cold rain. You'll be fucking soaked. The humidity, condensation and sweat will have you begging for a cool, refreshing rain.
>>
>>2729665
They do not, neverouts are braindead.
>>
>>2729665
No. It’s a direct quote. See screen grab posted here: >>2728969
>>
>>2729669
>umbrellas aren’t waterproof
Got it
>>
>>2729673
An umbrella is much better for keeping you dry than a poncho, most of the time. There are situations when you need a rain poncho. Specifically blowing rain, when you'd rather endure the condensation and sweat than sideways water spraying you all over. But a light rain? I'll take an umbrella and stay much drier than a poncho 90% of the time. But waterproof material don't keep you dry anon. They prevent water from directly crossing a specific boundary but, unless you're wearing a full body-condom and have figure out how not to breath or perspire, rain isn't the only source of moisture on planet Earth.
>>
>>2729669
>>2729670
Are you two near the equator or something? I've got a fully waterproof hunting set - coat and pants. Don't break a sweat in them (and no, no stationary hunting).
>>
>>2729677
Well at the moment I'm in Florida, so yeah. But I've got a hard vinyl winter coat rated for -30 that I wear in Canada. It's great for sitting around at camp but if I get up to anything for an hour or more? I've straight taken that thing off at -11 and stripped down to my t-shirt because it gets so fucking hot and sweaty.
>>
>>2729677
Fat people have been known to sweat in ponchos despite them being the most ventilated, least insulated option.
>>
>>2729677
No, im in the north european region. Sweating has a lot to do with genetics if we dont consider obvious factors like being a fat fuck in general. It also depends on your pace. But you generally have to vent goretex clothing depending on outside temps, where this becomes an issue is in warmer climate where you're probably better off just getting soaked by the rain.
>>
>>2729683
Also active people. Do you guys have some magical charms to ward off sweating when you are active? You understand that the reason it makes you thirsty is 'cuz your body has lost water, right? Where do you think the water went? It evaporated off your skin. If you're covered in waterproof material, it has no where to go. That's why the inside of your tent is wet in the morning (well, part of the reason).
>>
>>2729671
Still have no idea what you're on about, anon. Sorry.
>>
>>2729689
>Do you guys have some magical charms to ward off sweating when you are active?
The cold, and not wearing many layers in summer. Or are you covering yourself in plastics during the height of summer, and blaming the plastics?
>>
>>2729689
>Do you guys have some magical charms to ward off sweating when you are active?
Yes. It’s called not being an enormous fat fuck and getting regular exercise. Have you ever heard the expression “without breaking a sweat?” It’s easier when it’s cold outside.

>You understand that the reason it makes you thirsty is 'cuz your body has lost water, right? Where do you think the water went?
Digestive system mostly, used for muscle function and digestion, but also the circulatory system.

>It evaporated off your skin.
Do you ever not sweat? What happens to the Mountain Dew you drank?
>>
>>2729701
The entire conversation was about bivies and how they’re basically condensation traps. Some regard claimed they’re not designed to keep you dry. Some other retard pointed out that they’re made out of water to material, so they must be designed to keep you dry. Another retard claimed that things made from waterproof material aren’t necessarily designed to keep you dry, which is some king retard shit.
>>
>>2729709
Thanks for the summary anon, but the guy I responded to there was talking about sweating from being active. I now do have the mental image of him jumping around the woods in his bivvy, which I think is the best thing to come out of this thread yet. All the horseshit about the items designed to keep you dry "not keeping you dry" (i.e. not keeping you -bone- dry) because "oh no I breathe and sweat a little" is also hilarious.
>>
>>2729668
Yeah but it’s waterproof, so it designed to keep you dry?
>>
>>2729718
Where does it say so?
>>
>>2729779
“Unexpected weather”
“Protection from the elements”
>ahh, but it doesn’t say “waterproof!”
Pic rel
>>
>>2729801
Excatly, it doesnt say waterproof, you did it! You figured it out!
>>
>>2729818
What did they mean by this?
>5000mm
What is that?
>>
>>2729832
Ahh, I see you need another lesson. Thats the amount of water it would take before the fabric would begin to let water through.
>>
>>2729906
Why would they list the HH test value? Inb4 5000mm isn’t waterproof.
>>
>>2729926
To give a general idea as to how much rain it can be exposed to before leaking through.
>>
>>2729931
>no shelters are waterproof
You’re a child
>>
>>2729926
Because it’s a waterproof material. The other Anon is literally retarded.
>b-but it will wet out.
Shut up, fag.
>>
>>2729934
Every time I see someone unironically say "it will wet out" I get an uneasy feeling that they're a piss fetishist looking for an excuse
>a-whoopsie, it looks like my sleeping bag """wetted out""" again
>wink
>slurp
>>
>>2729932
Never said this, learn to read, nigger
>>
>>2729953
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but that doesn’t mean 5,000mm fabrics aren’t waterproof. People usually mention wetting out with reference to waterproof-breathable jackets, when osmosis stops due to saturation.

>>2729642
Wrapped completely in a waterproof material, but his head is exposed so he’ll need another tarp. So why have a completely waterproof bivy in the first place?
>>
>>2730064
>Wrapped completely in a waterproof material, but his head is exposed so he’ll need another tarp. So why have a completely waterproof bivy in the first place?
To protect from dew and splashback. But this is also why a bivy like that is intended to keep you dry, but isnt waterproof
>>
>>2730064
It’s Europeans being European (aka retarded). $270 for a silnylon tarp is laughable.
>>
>>2730064
>Wrapped completely in a waterproof material, but his head is exposed so he’ll need another tarp. So why have a completely waterproof bivy in the first place?
The Jerven bags and similar are mostly for hunting/shooting LARP activities where you remain stationary for a long time. Their design as a bivvy/tarp/poncho seems a bit more secondary to the goal of being a jack of all trades.
>>
>>2730088
The x-trem is insulated with primaloft you braindead moron, it's not comparable to the bare ponchos you find on amazon. Jesus christ, try to use your brain.
>>
>>2730116
>insulated shelter
Europeans are a laugh riot.
>>
>>2730145
They are quite literally stalking bags for when you're waiting for deer or female joggers.
They aren't really for regular camping.
>>
>>2730145
Neverouts at it again. Its an incredible popular product with hunters and people that want extra warmt for their sleeping bag. Please just stop talking, youve exposed yourself time and time again as a fool.
>>
>>2730221
But not in the rain, because it’s made of waterproof material, which as we all know isn’t designed to keep you dry, right?
>>
>>2730237
Never said that, again this shows that youre missing the fundamental difference because youre too busy being stupid. It's made of waterproof material to keep you dry, but the product itself is not waterproof. Many items can be made with waterproof material, f.ex. hiking boots, to keep you dry, but boots are not waterproof.
>>
>>2730244
>a bulletproof vest isn't bulletproof because the bullets could be fired from inside your body
>you better not call it bulletproof
Your autism is showing
>>
>>2730247
We're not talking about "bulletproof" vests, the fact that you have to you have to jump to something completely different does shows how retarded you are. But sure, its very fitting that you use terms like bulletproof vest, which is retard talk only 80IQ cops and other mongoloids manage to spew. Most people talk about plater carriers, what level plates, blast protection, soft/hard armor or ballistic armor. This is for the same reason, bulletproof is a misnomer, a term only used by shitty companies to sell to retards(you). Since bullets come in all shapes and sizes its stupid to ever refer to a vest as bulletproof, such a black and white statement is not used seriously for a product that isnt black or white. It's not like saying a shirt is fire retardent. Youll see the same with *ballistic* helmet, no serious company advertise them as bulletproof helmets. They advertise them as ballistic helmets with their rating. Seriously, try to find Gentex, Team Wendy, Crye, or any other serious company using the term bulletproof for their ballistic armor.
>>
>>2730255
>proves the point
Ask me how I know your mom has the autism puzzle shit as a tramp stamp
>>
>>2730273
Yeah, at least you acknowledge that I proved you wrong. Whats that? Couldnt find a serious company using bulletproof either? Isnt it weird how neither Helsport used waterproof in their advertisement. Hahaha, you neverouts never fail to entertain.
>>
>>2730274
>heh, looks like I win ten internets
>hahaha
Pretty cringey shit, tism timmy
>>
>>2730282
Yeah, didnt think so, nothing. You were wrong, again and again and again. And the last thing you can do is throw around buzzwords you learned from lurking 4chan too much. Go outside, faggot. Learn and grown. Dont be a roomdweller.
>>
>>2726610
Marine Corps bivy if you want a face net. MSS bivy doesn't have the net but might be cheaper.
>>
>>2730283
>the retard continues to do his flappy-arm victory dance, completely oblivious to the fact that he missed the point entirely
Sad, really
>>
>>2730286
Jesus, at least try to greentext like youre not straight from reddit, neverout. Stay seething. Must been tough knowing your little "bulletproof" argument turned out to expose you this bad.
>>
>>2729415
Two days later, he's still seething over this comment
>>
>>2730291
Who are you talking to? You're the only one here..
>>
>>2730274
>Isnt it weird how neither Helsport used waterproof in their advertisement
3000mm, so their “waterproof” (their words) rain gear, that’s designed to keep you dry, will wet out faster than their non-waterproof poncho that isn’t designed to keep you dry… or something. I can’t keep track of your retardation.
>>
>>2730294
>everyone is the same person, I swear
I keep saying the board needs post IDs; it would (maybe) cut down on autofellating spergs insisting that only one person could ever think they're full of shit
>>
>>2730288

>Reddit bad

Go back to /pol/.

/out/ is a fucking toilet compared to r/CampingandHiking, and that’s just a surface level normie sub.

The more specific subs have great content.

Way better than anything you can get here.

>nice Reddit spacing

Thanks!
>>
>>2730319
It must be said that the updoot system is retarded and gives obnoxious fags an overblown sense of importance, but it is a good source of legitimate information (in the right boards).
>>
>>2730315
Thats the poncho, not the fjellduk tarp. Try again.
>>
>>2730319
Good to hear you prefer your retard hub, I am not surprised.
>>
>>2730392
>goalposts: moved
This is why nobody takes you seriously
>>
>>2730398
Youre the one moving it, the discussion was about bivys and why theyre not waterproof.
>y-yeha well here's a poncho
You're the one so retarded youve forgotten what this is about, youre just looking for the next escape. The x-trem functions as a bivy, but it is not advertised as waterproof for that purpose. The poncho you posted does not function as a bivy, hence why its not advertised under the fjellduk line.
>>
>>2730401
Damn, I’ve never seen so much cope. 5000mm fabric is waterproof. Your LARP gear is made of waterproof material. If it weren’t meant to be waterproof, it would be made from something else.
>>
>>2730436
Again, you fail to understand whats being said, even when it was already clarified here >>2730244 you continue to say the same thing. You were wrong. Now put on a "bulletproof" helmet and shoot yourself with 7.62. Do the world a favor, and lead my example.
>>
>>2730437
As a reminder, there are multiple anons in the thread, you missed the point of the "bulletproof" example, people will continue to refer to rain gear as waterproof, and no amount of screeching on your part will change that.
>>
>>2730437
>waterproof boots gear isn’t waterproof
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
And I’ll refer you to >>2729415
>>
>>2729414
>a poncho works as extra sheltering to help keep you dry, but it is *not* waterproof
Your favorite LARP brand lists their poncho as “waterproof”

>A good tent or bivy thats true to their rating is waterproof within that rating.
The railing on the insulated LARP poncho is 5000mm but you said it’s not waterproof because it’s not advertised as such. So what actually matters: the rating or the advertisement?
>>
>>2730462
Again, this has already been clarified >>2730437 you need to learn how to read and then absorb what youve read.
>>2730460
Making up quotes again so you can strawman I see, no surprise there.
>>2730457
The point is that no serious company will call their product bulletproof. I also noticed youre now refering to rain gear, which again is generalizing it to something I havent said. I said bivys. Its clear why you too struggle with this.
>>
>>2730482
>making up quotes.
Don’t make me screen shot what you wrote. Copy pasted:
>Many items can be made with waterproof material, f.ex. hiking boots, to keep you dry, but boots are not waterproof.
Did you mean to say they’re not submersible?
>>
>>2730485
Yes, thats the actual quote. Dont make up stuff.
>>
>>2730482
This idiot really will die on the hill of "you didn't use the exact words I like to describe a thing"
>>
>>2730492
Thats not what the hill was about to begin with, its you retards who need constant clarification.
>>
>>2730492
No, he thinks items made from waterproof material are not waterproof because he has a very narrow, extremely specific definition of waterproof that his Autism won’t stray from. I think the other Anon brought up a good point; Waterproof Fag is equating “waterproof” with “submersible.” He even stated that boots made from waterproof material aren’t waterproof. I keep a pair of rubber boots in my work truck. They are made of a waterproof material (neoprene or something; typical rubber boots) to keep my feet dry. They work. My feet don’t get wet. Yet somehow, according to Waterproof Fag, they aren’t waterproof
>>
>>2730496
>you didn't use the right words to describe the hill
Fucking christ, someone give him his special earmuffs so he can turn the octupus toy back to the happy face
>>
>>2730498
They are indeed not waterproof, they are meant to keep you dry. Im not a waterproof fag, I'm the only person here not retarded.
>>2730502
I dont play with toys, I go outside, hence why I know more than you.
>>
>>2730503
>not waterproof
Why not?
>>
>>2730507
They take in water without a cover.
>>
>>2730512
In other words they’re not submersible.
>>
>>2730514
Not that either, no. But they also let in rain unless covered
>>
>>2730503
>I go outside
Sperging out over the words anons use to describe gear is obnoxious, but now you're just lying
>I was going to go out but I had a panic attack because my neighbor said he was cleaning the sidewalk and clearly you can't walk on the side of it so you can't call it a sidewalk
>>
>>2730529
Try to be patient. Waterproof Fag has autism.
>>
>>2730529
sidewalk is one word for a reason, precisely because it's not a side walk.
Wanna make another example you get absolutely BTFO'd on? First waterproof, then bulletproof, now sidewalk. Just loss after loss after loss..
>>
>>2730592
>insisting everyone is the same person
>delcaring your own argument as BTFOing someone else's
Sucking your own dick won't make you correct, or less mentally challenged
>>
>>2730604
I told you: autism.
>>
>>2730592
sidewalk (n.) "path for pedestrians on the side of a street," 1721, from side (adj.) + walk (n.).
>>
>>2730604
>telling yourself you didnt get BTFO'd when you're off-topic
lel
>>2730611
Yeah, notice how the words are together. Hence why I said:
>sidewalk is one word for a reason, precisely because it's not a side walk.
I understand anglos struggle with this concept as theyre really just frenchmen, but most germanic languages compose a word out of two or more compounds when talking about a single concept. Again, you get BTFO'd because you arent even able to read. You have no knowledge of outdoors, weapons, and now youve proven to not know a single thing about language. This is why reddit is so perfect for you, as you have admitted. It is the place of talking without expertise.
>>
>>2730605
I kind of want to make a gofundme for the guy at this point, I bet his mom has a tough time taking care of the bills by herself
>sweetie, do you think you could fill out that application for walmart we talked about
>IT'S NOT AN APPLICATION MOM YOU DON'T APPLY IT GAWWWWD
>>
>>2730631
>>2730631
>projecting all these things on me
Not that anon. I quoted the most basic etymology at you purely in response to the "sidewalk is not a side walk" nonsense, which very literally also includes "side of the street". Funnily enough I'm a linguist and get paid for this shit. You are severely autistic and completely out of your depth.
>>
>>2730638
Etymology is irrelevant when discussing modern usage, if you were an actual linguist you would know this.
>>
>>2730634
>another off-topic example
And another proof you cant stick to the topic because youve been proven wrong several times. Thank you.
>>
>>2730639
Absolutely wrong, but I see you're used to saying things that are manifestly false. Are you farming (you)s? Hard to believe someone can consistently be this stupid without it being an act.
>>
>>2730641
Absolutely not wrong. A living language evolves indepedently of etymology, and this is very clear when we look at etymological roots from 2000 years ago up until today. Constant change.
Etymology is descriptive, not prescriptive.
>>
>>2730643
>rubber boots aren’t waterproof
>>
>>2730643
>language evolves
>just not in the way I don't like
>you can't call something waterproof because I don't like language evolving in that direction
>>
>>2730647
Nope
>>2730650
Correct, I'm a strong purist when it comes to certain languages.
>>
>>2730655
>I'm a strong purist
Not strong enough. People will call shit what they want to call it and not give a single fuck about your opinion on the matter.
>>
>>2730691
His opinion is “everyone is wrong except me.”
>nuh uh!
Everyone agrees that rubber boots and ponchos are waterproof and will keep you dry.
>>
>>2730737
I also have a waterproof bivy that I use to stay dry. It's the US issue one too, so I piss off all sorts of autists with it.
>>
>>2730691
Yes, unfortunately. Thats why democracy is so flawed, its mob mentality even when the mob is wrong and have no sense of culture, like right now.
>>
>>2730643
>A living language evolves indepedently of etymology
That doesn't mean etymology is "irrelevant when discussing modern usage". Nice new goalposts though.
>Etymology is descriptive, not prescriptive.
Sure, now refer back to the example I cited.
>>
i've got the 3ful tyvek bivvy. its pretty good, i often pair it with a tarp to keep the rain off since it can't handle full on rain. keeps the sleeping bag dry and keeps the wind out though. good for cowboy camps if its defo going to be dry overnight. wish it had a bug hood though
>>
>>2730787
You argue like a woman, where reality is what you want it to be and nothing matters except for your feelings.
>>
>>2730804
>That doesn't mean etymology is "irrelevant when discussing modern usage"
It does, it has bo bearing on contemporary of future use.
>Nice new goalposts though.
Literally no new goalpost is set, im explaining to you why youre wrong. Perhaps stop using buzzwords blindly l, and start reading and understanding whats going on. Youre clearly larping as someone who knows anything about language
>>
>>2730806
Yeah yeah, leave the 2016 wannabe Ben Shapiro talk in the trash where it belongs. So cringe.
>>
>>2730825
>nooo there's no way you can look at the past to explain the present, that's completely irrelevant and wrong! you are larping!!
So far up your own ass, it'd take a crowbar to get you unstuck.
>>
>>2730844
To be descriptive, sure, but to be prescriptive, no. Which is why etymology is irrelevant. 99%+ of people are unaware of etymology in daily use, thus again, its irrelevant.
>>
>>2730872
>because people don't actively think about etymology means the processes involved have no bearing on daily use, because: I pulled this out of my ass
Alright, I think you've disqualified yourself enough. This is just funny at this point. Have a good one, anon.
>>
>>2730879
>doesnt refute it
Lol, as expected from people not knowing a thing.
>>
>>2730805
very nice, im waiting for mine to come through. Its so cheap compared to everything on the market. I plan to use it during winter and alpine climbs. Any word on how roomy it is? im wondering if I could fit 2 quilts and a foam mat in there without squeezing the insulation
>>
>>2729024
In NZ we carry them in case we’re caught out unexpectedly. They’re uncomfortable af, but better than a night in the rain or snow.
99% of the time it’s a night in a back country hut with a fire. Rare to see anyone except on the most popular walks.
>>
>>2726610
the only thing a bivy bag is good for is sparing some poor EMS worker the trouble of stuffing your bloated carcass into a body bag because it's already inside one
>>
>>2731880
This, bivvys are very dangerous. My uncle used one in the rain and he didn't know that waterproof meant not waterproof; he drowned
>>
>>2726610
US MILITARY BIVVYS
"SLEEPING SYSTEM"
OMG. i dont camp regularly now but me and an old friend scored under 50$ bivvy sacks easily.
as we tested them out, we realized they were OP as FUCKK - goretex, camo, 0 condensation, rough, easy to stuff in pack. rain tested and completely viable. I took it far and camped on the california coast with them without any sleeping bag - i just had an emergency blanket and a pad - i got SO DAMN COLD but it was survivable. also that night there were dozens of mice that bit at the bag and the open area at the top. i forget if i needed it to be open in order to breathe better or w/e. i cant remember, sorry. but yeah, in full rain you can take these out and hop in with your bag and pad and not be worried in teh slightest.
>>
>>2732840
Woodland MSS bivy is peak aesthetics

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.