[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: swim.jpg (515 KB, 1920x1080)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
What temperature is safe and good enough to swim in for like an hour/2 hours? Is 12 celsius ok without a wetsuit?
>>
I was thinking about this last night. The water is gonna still be too fucking cold to swim in in freshwater here (river/creek swimming hole). But, by the end of the month we will be full into swimming hole season, so close.
>an hour
just buy a wetsuit african
>>
>>2727774
hey so i swim in the pacific in the early spring and late fall. its around 12 degrees now and its cold but not unbearable. you will not die. i usually go for 30 minute dips
>>
>>2727774

Oceanman Coach here.

It depends. 12 is not so bad, as long as you are wise and prepared.

Here are some advice to consider while facing cold water conditions (below 15 degrees):

-Hydrate well

-Have warm fluids

-Hot water after practice

-Practice to get ready in cold water in good conditions.

More energy is needed and muscle frequency

-Mental preparation

1. Acclimatize

Keep swimming as the temperature drops, and your body will get used to the cold.

2. Be safe

Open water may be dangerous. Always swim where it is safe, and make sure you can quickly and easily enter and exit the water. Always swim with a buddy or a group

3. Gear up well

To help retain body heat, wear a swimming cap or two. Neoprene gloves, booties, balaclava or a wetsuit, whatever you feel comfortable with, can also be worn.

4. No diving

Do not jump in or dive unless you're used to cold water. Breath gasping and cold water shock can be caused by cold water, which can be harmful.

5. Know your limits

Decrease the amount of time you spend in the water as the temperature decreases. Swimmers also only swim for one or two minutes at a time in winter.

6. Warm up slowly

Do not take a hot shower. Your core can be cooled by hot water and it can be dangerous. Alternatively, make sure you have plenty of hot clothing, cover up well and have a hot drink.

I do it all the time. Where i live there will be no Open Water Swimming scene of we will chicken below comfy 24 degrees.

Be wise and safe!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.