[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708372485640985m.jpg (113 KB, 768x1024)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
ITT we talk about our experiences with certain pieces of equipment or ask questions about them, and also where to acquire it for good prices
>>
File: 20240530_232509.jpg (129 KB, 702x905)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
anyone here tried the carinthia ECIG 4.0?
seems like an even heavier version of the normal level 7 jackets, on their website it says rated for -30

I'm also curious how those ratings are made, does it mean its rated without anything under it but a base layers or with other shit on?
>>
File: Camo.jpg (670 KB, 1920x1440)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
>also where to acquire it for good prices

If you are price conscious, US military surplus equipment can be found on line for good prices. Packs, goretex sleeping bag covers, small tents and all manner of clothing are available.
I have a 65 liter US Army pack with frame that I bought for around $75. Comparable name brand packs cost in excess of $400. The US military packs will be sturdy built and very durable but they will be heavier than most branded retailer packs.
Gear that is made with the US Army UCP camouflage pattern can still be found for good prices because the US Army has discontinued its use and most people do not like the camouflage pattern.
Pictured is a US Army ACU pattern pack and raid pack that I dyed with fabric dye I bought at Hobby Lobby. You can see the original undyed pattern on the left side of the 65 liter pack because I could not get all of the pack in the dye bath.
Also for reference is a USMC M1981 Woodlands camo pack, a MarPat ammo shingle and a British Disruptive Pattern pack cover.
>>
>>2738037
Top 3 hottest Revy images of all time
>>
As a Florida anon I highly suggest the jungle bag by snugpak. Most sleeping bags are cold weather, even warm weather ones are way to hot for FL or are cheap crap. Bag is basically a 60 degree bag, anti bacterial coating and it has a bug net to be a sort of bivy. Can't suggest enough for warm climates.
>>
>>2738495
swagman roll is cool too for temperate, csnt talk about swamps as i dont have familiarity with that
>>
File: 20240528_205811.jpg (653 KB, 1200x1600)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
>>2738431
I'm also a huge fan of usgi surplus. Currently dying a set of acu in purple rit for a hour, gonna use as saddlebags for my bicycle.
>>
>>2738495
>jungle bag by snugpak
Just remember it's not an actual jungle bag. The shitty "buy two and combine them into a two person sleeping bag" gimmick means that the zipper isn't continous, which gives you a massive ~10cm gap on the bottom. Wouldn't want o use that in snake- or spider infested areas. You can tie it off (which I did when I just realized the problem 30km into the jungle), but that's not a real solution. Better buy the Carinthia jungle bag or the original british jungle bag that the snugpak is modeled after.
>>
>>2738660
>30km into the jungle

tell story
>>
opinions on the carinthia defence 4 and survival one?
>>
>>2738660
>>2738840
Big fan of carinthia, I have their tropen and def 4, solid synthetic bags if thats what youre looking for.
>>
Redpill me on ventilated backpacks. Do they actually work? What's the best hot climate daypack?
Sometimes I need to take more than fits in a sling/fanny pack and I'm tired of my back and shoulders being absolutely drenched with sweat, my current pack has wide, solid straps, and I get completely wet underneath them.
>>
>>2738906
what's a ventilated pack
>>
>>2739006
It's a pack that's ventilated

Basically allows for more air flow to your back so you don't get as sweaty
>>
carinthia TLG
carinthia ISG
arcteryx atom LT
defense mechanisms helion B

which puffy is the best for cold but not too cold weather to put on when stopping or doing light physical activity? (I dont get people saying these are to wear while doing physical activity, you will sweat like a motherfucker if you ruck/run/climb with these on)
>>
>>2739094
The Atom handles wind poorly. It was made to be worn under a shell but most use it as a stand alone jacket. Its comfortable and the old version had a great fit (new version is made to acomodate amerifats), but there are better options out there both from arcteryx and other brands

Never heard of those other jackets. Are they mostly for larping?
>>
>>2739138
they're just military brands instead of neon hiker stuff, carinthia is a famous brand
>>
File: crkt-graphite.png (82 KB, 784x824)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
bought a knife.
nothing fancy, but it was half off at my local brick and mortar store so a great deal in my opinion (46€).
given that I just spotted the "50% off" sign on the window and walked in I did zero research beforehand but it feels good in the hand.
>>
>>2738653
>purple
neat as fuck
>>
>>2738653
I admire your efforts to make trans awareness more of a thing, especially for the armed forces. But seriously, looks great.
>>
>>2739138
>new version is made to acomodate amerifats
This is probably the trend. When American things come to Europe, they shrink them down whether it's cars or chocolate bars, to accomodate the fact that we aren't all raving yank consoooomers. Maybe non-American companies do it in reverse when they set up over there.
>>
>>2738495
that's funny, also a Florida anon and I just picked up a jungle bag from an estate sale from a schizo who had like 5 of them. Got it for 10 bucks. So far I've enjoyed it, probably gonna go back and pick up the rest just to have extras and share them. I like how small it packs up to be
>>
>>2739695
Arc makes gear for active people so their clothes have for the most part been slim fitting for the last 20 years. It fits much better than Patagonia and TNF, thats why alot of people swore to their products. But with the hype over the last few years their sales have sky rocketed and their chinese owners have gotten greedy. So last year they changed their sizing. XS and S are now smaller than before in order to reach more tiny asians, while L, XL and XXL are now bigger than before to fit more unfit ppl. Meanwhile the Atom being their best selling jacket have been made less slim around the waist. And the Gamma Lightweight which used to look really good on people now looks like a garbage bag. On top of that they changed their naming system trying to make it less dumb-user friendly, but they just made everything more complicated. It’s a whole mess
>>
>>2739911
Old vs new name:

Atom SL = Atom SL
Atom LT = Atom
Atom AR = Atom Heavyweight
Proton FL = Proton Lightweight
Proton LT = Proton
Proton AR = Proton Heavyweight
Beta SL = Beta Lightweight
Beta LT = Beta = LT
Beta = Beta
Beta AR = Beta AR
Alpha FL = Alpha Lightweight
Alpha LT = Alpha
Alpha SV = Alpha SV
Gamma SL = Gamma Lightweight
Gamma LT = Gamma
Gamma MX = Gamma Heavyweight

It’s so messy. The 2023 version of the Beta Lightweight was heavyer than both the Beta and the Beta LT.
>>
>>2739918
Correction:
Beta LT = Beta LT
>>
>>2739918
Last part is wrong. The 2023 Beta weighs less and has a lower denier fabric than both the Beta Lightweight and Beta LT.

While the ‘23 Beta was 30 denier, thinner than the Lightweight, the ‘24 Beta is 80 denier, almost as much as the Beta SV
>>
>>2739922
*Alpha SV, not Beta SV
>>
>>2738840
Bulky, but very comfortable.
>>
File: 20240605_192042.jpg (361 KB, 708x1291)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
ok guys I bought a carinthia ECIG 4.0 and the label says made in China wtf?
a couple zippers are a different color than the pics on the official site and the internal color is a darker grey instead of the light blue in the official pics, so I think I bought a fake.
j already contacted carinthia and shit so don't tell me to write them I'm waiting for their response but in the meantime I'm also asking other places.
>>
File: 20240605_192636.jpg (2.96 MB, 4032x1960)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
>>2740472
and also the inner pockets are black and not grey, and the little flap on top of the neck label is black not white, and the "T" in the embroidered logo is touching the "H"
>>
File: 20240605_192721.jpg (2.03 MB, 4032x1960)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>2740474
>>
>>2740476
and the label is grey and not black

I was retarded for not asking pics of the label, I always do but this time didnt

anyway I can contest it and return it, but I would've been better off not getting into it altogether
>>
Does anyone have any experience with Vertx gear? I'm thinking about getting an Overlander because I want a bigger baf but I'm still holding off. Currently I use a Direct Action Ghost Mk II which is around 30L while the Overlander is 45L.
>>
>>2738037
Should I watch black lagoon?
>>
File: 08382627800_1.jpg (25 KB, 500x500)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2741026
Yeah it's great.
>>2738037
I'm looking to downgrade my gear a bit. I have an MSR Elixir 2 person tent I'm trying to sell to buy something like this Eureka Timberline 2 Person tent.
Anyone ever use one of these? I dig the design, but I'm not sure about the "breathable panels" on the inner (the white panels on the sides) or how the tent will handle wind.
It's too bad the fly doesn't have an extra tie-out on the side for the wind.
>>
>>2738653
amount of rit to water ratio for that hue? Syntehtic or regular? Wanted to dye my ACU/UCP blue
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 259x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2738037
Hopefully not too far off topic, but does anyone have suggestions for pants and hi vis shirts for working outdoors? I'm in a rectangular, rocky mountain state, and will be doing field work at places like decommissioned mines and oil wells. Think prairie, snakes, lots of heat, remote locations, etc. For the first time in my career I'm getting to expense my work clothes, so I'm aiming a little higher than usual. I like the look of Duluth Trading's firehose canvas cargo pants, and Carhartt makes decent looking hi vis shirts in my size, although they're quite pricey. Normally if it was my own dollar I'd be hitting Walmart. Would like to hear your guy's take if you feel like it though.
>>
Black Diamond headlamps SUCK COCK. Need recs for better headlamps at a similar price point please
>>
>>2742536
I have a couple pair of Duluth Trading Firehose denim pants that I like.
>>
>>2742536
Duluth and carhart make good upper level coonsoomer grade stuff
>>
Have the desire to buy a twig stove. Asked broadly on the qtddtot thread, but I'll ask for more direct opinions here.

The 5" Firebox folding stoves. Is the titanium one actually worth the money for durability/longevity reasons; or is the steel one a generally better idea? Rust versus warping I guess is the question.
>>
File: Apex 80.jpg (205 KB, 1500x1500)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
I'm looking for a new 80L+ backpack so that I can have a second larger bag to bring friends who have never gone backpacking on weekend trips (everyone wants to bring so many clothes & extra shit) or use if for myself when I want to take a lot of luxury items. I currently have the Crown 3 60L bag and love it but with a big bear cannister packing it is very tight. Since my family know I like backpacking I now have a ton of credit with REI and while I don't usually shop there for bags I don't care too much about getting something cheaper since this is for my second set/loaner set of gear.

Any suggestions are welcome, I did see that they have a preorder for the apex 80 bag as a cheaper option but I have never heard of the company and all their gear reviews are 5+ years old.
>>
>>2742560
petzl you dumb shit
>>
>>2744887
Garbage unless you buy the thousand dollar one. You're better off getting an industrial headlamp.
>>
>>2739138
>better options

such as?
>>
File: 20240617_175549.jpg (3.27 MB, 4032x1960)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB JPG
>>2742560
I have one and used it for 1 year and a half and had no problems, why do you say it sucks?
>>
>>2744933
I have a shitton of backpacks but I'm now considering selling most of them and consolidating into the ones that I like most and selling the others that dont fit me, as a day pack i got a mystery ranch 3dap and I'll keep it, it's good, as a smaller day pack i got an eagle industries beavertail, then a mystery ranch SATL as a ruck, but for longer colder trips it's on the edge of size, so I want a bigger one, I like the mr6500 or blackjack 100 but they're too expensive, I got a mr m25 which is like a scaled down 6500 but it's too small as you cant fit a sleeping bag into the bag compartment (goated feature btw, hate having to unpack all my shit to pull out the sleep system),
I'll sell my ILBE, which is a decent pack but I dont like it being top access only and no external pouches, or internal organizational ones, platatac spur is cool, I'd like to keep it but its redundant with the SATL, camelbak mule is redundant with the beaver tail which is better, and then I got a French army camelbak with additional side pouches which is cool af, like a bigger 3dap with side pockets so I'd want to keep it
>>
>>2741837
I was in BSA when I was younger.
These are standard issue for them.
Used them in all weather from soupy as fuck summer heat to teens (°F) temperatures outside.
They're heavy as fuck and I'd hate to have to carry one on a backpack trip, but they are built like a brick shithouse.
We had ones in our troop that were probably 30 years old, maybe more, and these were always put up, used, and taken down by children, so you can imagine the sort of abuse some of these suffered.
I assume the build quality is the same as it used to be. They're absolutely top notch in that regard but they do absolutely nothing for weight savings.

It's not super breathable either. The white panels aren't bad but they're more solid than not. The majority of your ventilation is going to come from the ends.

The ones we used had flys with two shock cords per side that were separate from the tent, that would stake into the ground.

We may have had the 3 person model. Either way still built like a tank. 10/10 tent for the purpose it's designed for.
>>
Idk if this is the place to ask but I'm thinking about getting a pair of running / hiking shoes.
I have a minor case of flat feet so they need to have ankle support.
Also I want them to be my everyday shoes so I don't want them to be very thick / heavy.
Budget is like 100$.
Idk much about shoes so I've heard Salomons are decent (US army uses them apparently)?
Also would be nice if they came in beige / white / light brown.
>>
>>2745018
I just realized there's a fucking general dedicated to shoes.
>>
anyone ever tried the Patagonia Mars lvl6?
I got a full set, it looks cool and shit, it's light and packable but honestly compared to other jackets I dont like the features, the hood elastic string to keep it tight on your head doesnt work well, as opposed to other jackets where it does such as the Patagonia lvl5 or beyond lvl4, the side pockets are decent but not very roomy, and it doesnt have any armpit vent zippers, so for the price it goes for its not that special

I just got a montura level 6 fire retardant full set, it seems pretty cool, hasn't arrived yet, anyone has any experience with either of these?
>>
>>2744994
>strong as fuck and not lightweight
Perfect for motocampin' then.
It seems like there were a few different models/variations.
Did any of yours have little black loops on the tops (circled here) that you could tie extra cordage to?
>>
>>2745137
I don't remember such a feature, no.
Ours also didn't have the vestibule. I forgot that version existed. Neat.

Yeah they're like total standard issue for BSA basically. Most semi serious troops use Timberlines. Part of the look really. I absolutely think they're chosen for their robust build and classical appearance. My buddy used to be a leader when the troop dissolved. Says he got all of most of the old equipment. Need to keep bugging him to see if he will give me one of his timberlines. That or just buy one.

Yeah for a tent that doesn't need to be on someone's backpack, I honestly can't think of a tent I'd rather have. If I *did* need to backpack with it, I can't think of a tent I'd want less haha.
>>
>>2738037
does anyone have any good tent recommendations?
>>
>>2746900
Anything from Vango if you can get it on sale or on ebay
>>
>>2746900
Budget, size, use case (time of year and type of location) would help.
Also if you're backpacking, car camping or (motor)cycling and if you prefer free standing or not.

I have a naturehike cloud up 2 which is an amazing budget 3 season tent for 2 people. Free standing, lightweight, very well designed. Only downside is it's not super spacious (by design) and would profit from better ventilation. Check AliExpress before buying from Amazon and Co, sometimes the price difference is worth it.
>>
>>2742536
If your working around oil wells, get a h2s monitor as well brotha. Ariat FR +/- $100 ( fire resistant ) are the best work jeans ive ever own and used working in the oil field, Lapco-carhartt are what i use for my FR shirts usually cheap too $70-$90 bucks for a long sleeve. they both have high vis options i believe. Dont forget some good boots
>>
Bump, /out/ needs a consumer thread
>>
>>2739019
This is one of the reasons why I just use an old Kelty external frame pack.
>>
>>2749620
yump
>>
I do a lot of backwoods hiking for my job and need new boots. Typically they only last two years, but my latest pair split at the front just over a year in (fucking oboz)
any low-mid (sub $300) tiers I should check out?
comfort and breathability are nice, durability is key
>>
>>2751352
>I do a lot of backwoods hiking for my job
Being a trust fund babby isn't a job.
>>
>>2751373
I wish, else I wouldn't be living in a shithole
contractor mostly for the government
>>
Finna consooooom
>>
dumb question but what kind of cap would be best to wear outside in hot and sunny weather? color/material/full brim etc.?
since this thread is dead where do I go to ask this? I don't wanna make a thread just for this
>>
I want to buy the defence mechanisms helion B, the booties, waffle neck gaiter and Peruvian waffle cap, anyone got any experience with those?

also is there any way to import them into the EU without having VAT and duties applied to assrape me?
>>
File: 1707445621398130.jpg (308 KB, 1200x1600)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
Why are long johns AKA thermal underwear in the US so often full cotton or polycotton blends? There are literally 0 reasons to put cotton in a base layer in a cold environment. People don't wear thermal underwear outside of cold conditions. It seems like this is an article of clothing that just shouldn't exist, and yet they're sold all over the place. Am I overlooking some use case here? The only thing that I can come up with is "alternative to pajamas when you're sitting in a heated cabin and not doing anything and don't plan on going outside at any point".

>>2755782
Lighter colors are better. If you're concerned about sun exposure, get a wide brim hat. I would use cotton; it will probably maintain shape better than polyester or nylon. Also, you can dunk it in the water periodically and the evaporation from it will help keep your head cool.
If you don't care about looking like a dweeb, you can also get the ones that have a flap hanging down that provides extra sun coverage to your neck. On the opposite end of the fashion scale, you could get a straw hat, but they aren't as durable and you'll want to make sure the weave is fairly tight so the sun doesn't go straight through it.
>>
>>2738431
Any other online military surplus stores in Europe besides:
militarysurplus.eu
Floby
Varusteleka
?
>>
>>2755782
Thin cotton or linen, but thick enough to absorb UV. Air holes are good too.
Full brim, obviously, since you don't want skin cancer on your ears.
My go-to is a vietnam-style boonie hat (mostly since that's the only cheap hat I can get in size 64), but any cotton hat should work.

Coarse Panama or Straw hats are also alright, but they make you sweat more around the headband and are 5-10 times more expensive than cotton hats.
>>
>>2756384
asmc.de if you're fine with paying extra. They don't bitch around when you have to return stuff, but you'll pay ~10% more unless you're police or military. Also, they have tried to pass of reproductions as "new old stock" in the past. afaik, they don't do that anymore, but it's still best to be careful.
>Varusteleka
Careful with them. Their new gear is alright, but with surplus, they sometimes have no clue what they're selling. For example, a few months ago, they claimed to have british M37 Haversacks, but what they actually shipped was a M37 Knapsack with a M37 Haversack strap. While it's possible to fit those together, the strap will come undone under weight.
>>
>>2738903
Second this. Carinthia tends to be good quality, lower weight than other synthetics of the rating, good compression. Overall solid.
>>
>>2756384
look on Ebay, Facebook groups, telegram group, vinted
>>
>>2756287
>>2756389
>cotton hat (with full coverage all around)
is what I'm getting. thank you both
>>
>>2756389
>My go-to is a vietnam-style boonie hat (mostly since that's the only cheap hat I can get in size 64),
where did you get it? that's my size and the only thing I found that fits are random oversized baseball caps directly from China via aliexpress
having a massive cranium is annoying
>>
Any recommendations for types of shirts, shorts, and hats to wear on long extended hikes?
>>
I want to get one of these underwater masks with an air tank, but I was just wondering what your guys's experiences are with it? how long do you usually last underwater on what volume tank?
I see aliexpress (lol) is also selling smaller scuba kits, just a 2L tank and face mask connected to it, what about those?

everything swimming/water equipment related is a clusterfuck of everyone shilling different things and there is zero sense to be made. I just want to dive closer to the bottom of the sea and see stuff.
>>
>>2758121
These are just assisted suicide tools. Scuba shops I use unconditionally refuse to touch/fill/work on them. If you're depending on something like air stop buying chink shit online.
>>
Does anyone use a waist pack with their backpack? What's its capacity? I got a day pack recently that's really light, which is nice, but it doesn't have much storage that's accessible while hiking and was thinking about picking one up to use occasionally. How big is too big? 3L? 4?
>>
>>2758063
Totally depends on conditions. However, if you expect any amount of sun exposure I'd go with a sun hoodie and long pants. I just have a cheap but decent pair of pants and a lightweight sun hoodie. The hoodie's nice for being in exposed areas in the sun and not having to regularly bathe in sunscreen. A sunburn in the middle of any overnight trip is a n actual nightmare, I do not recommend it. For hat it also depends, I actually just use a random cap with a bill that's kinda waterproof. I'd recommend something breathable both for sun and rain; in the rain you should have a real rain jacket if it's bad, the hat's for drizzles.
I seldom hike in shorts but when I do it's on very tame trails (anything brushy always means I get scratched, I still have a scar from wearing shorts and going over a blowdown that decided to scrape open a gash in me). I use exercise shorts I bought for cheap.
If you want specifics, my sun hoodie is an Outdoor Research "active ice", my pants I don't remember but I think are also OR. My exercise shorts are from Target lol. I'd recommend feeling stuff in person if you can and seeing how you like it.
>>
>>2758504
I should also add, the hat is for keeping light out of your eyes here and there and should be complemented with real glasses, and the hood is for uv protection. I dislike hats with full brims but you might be different. I'll also add that I look pretty dorky when I hike, if looking cool is important to you you should ignore my advice. On the other hand I don't mess around with shit that doesn't work for me for the aesthetics, I do not often do hikes/climbs where I can compromise at all on comfort and safety.
>>
>>2758489
I asked in the freedive thread as well and they said the same, I won't get one. now I'm wondering what the best way to dive would be without an air tank but I asked in that thread

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.