[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708683501990409.jpg (574 KB, 2048x1458)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
Is Fjallraven a good brand? I have an Osprey backpack but I want something for backpacking and I am not sure what good brands are like anymore, even the "expensive" brands are all polyester garbage...

>but you need polyester for water resistance!!!
meh, i don't want synthetic fabrics that cause cancer on my skin
>>
File: Camo.jpg (670 KB, 1920x1440)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
If you are price conscious, US military surplus equipment can be found on line for good prices. Packs, goretex sleeping bag covers, small tents and all manner of clothing are available.
I have a 65 liter US Army pack with frame that I bought for around $75. Comparable name brand packs cost in excess of $400. The US military packs will be sturdy built and very durable but they will be heavier than most branded retailer packs.
Gear that is made with the US Army UCP camouflage pattern can still be found for good prices because the US Army has discontinued its use and most people do not like the camouflage pattern.
Pictured is a US Army ACU pattern pack and raid pack that I dyed with fabric dye I bought at Hobby Lobby. You can see the original undyed pattern on the left side of the 65 liter pack because I could not get all of the pack in the dye bath.
Also for reference is a USMC M1981 Woodlands camo pack, a MarPat ammo shingle and a British Disruptive Pattern pack cover.
>>
>>2741332
I'm happy to spend money, but I want it to be quality, not similar to chinese things on aliexpress.
>>
>>2741326
I have a few pieces of fjallraven gear. It's one of the few brands still worth the price. I like the G1000 stuff although it's part polyester. I like waxing it myself tho
>>
>>2741341
Which bags do you have?
>>
>>2741326
Something that always bothered me about catfish noodling; aren't those the same holes snapping turtles live in?
>>
>>2741332
Milsurp is the heaviest and shittiest stuff out there as far as packs are concerned. Nobody should listen to you.
>>
>>2741363
He was trying to help
>>
>>2741365
He failed
>>
>>2741332
I feel like milsurp can be decent for things like outer layers and shooting equipment, but when REI and Decathlon exist you're probably better off just getting packs from them instead. It'll cost the same and you'll get a warranty too.
>>
>>2741363
>ith too hebby bloo bloo bloo
>help me zpacks bot, my strength is waning
>>
>>2741407
An ALICE pack weighs more empty than my entire EDC pack weighs full of an excessive amount of survival gear. The newest military packs aren't much better.
This is not a small issue by any means.
>>
>>2741411
Don't reply to him, there's a reason why backpackers pay $2000 for a tent that weighs less than a pound, weight is serious and he knows that he's trolling you
>>
>>2741411
>not a small issue
Correct; it's a non-issue. The weight of even the old ALICE bags is negligible to anyone that isn't a spoiled dandysprat.
>>
Milsurp packs are durable and can be found at very good prices.
>>
>>2741413
>there's a reason
yeah, consumerism
>>
let's see if he falls for it
>>
This thread has been infested by REI store managers. "Dude milsurp so heavy Bro. Trust me. Buy this $400 pack"
The next point they make will be "Cotton kills: You have to buy REI synthetic gear if you want to go outside."
Never mind the fact that millions of people are enjoying the outdoors in 100% cotton clothing throughout the world right now, not to mention human history.
"Bro , you gotta buy our ultralight pack because milsurp heavy" and "Bro cotton kills you gotta buy our REI branded synthetic underwear or you will die"
>>
>>2741421
this
>it's important to remember to stay diverse when you're /out/, bro. That means no milsurp, only REI branded or partnered gear, and letting a refugee sleep in the tent with your girlfriend while you huddle miserably in the rain
>>
do they sell fjallraven at rei
>>
"Bro, You do NOT want to use milsurp gear during Pride month. Read the room . Get on message. Spending $400 more to be with the in group on trail is real"
>>
>>2741350
They are. Turns out that typical, run of the mill southern girls have more balls than you.
>>
File: 1699012983421838.jpg (141 KB, 986x1500)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>2741428
>>
>>2741415
The weight of an ALICE pack is like the weight of a comparable capacity modern internal frame pack with a takedown carbine and full magazine inside of it. You are level 0.
>>
>>2741421
Everything I own combined probably weighs less than your backpacking load out.
>>
>>2741464
So, negligible.
>trust me bro, it'll fuck up your back BIG time, better use this coupon for 1% off at the LGBTQ benefit sale, only at your local REI
>>
>>2741465
The fact that you can not lift and carry heavy things demonstrates how weak you are. The fact that you spend a lot of money to buy light weight items that will not withstand the rigors of outdoor use proves you are weak, easily manipulated by corporate marketing and ignorant.
>>
>>2741326
Overpriced and overrated. They used to be prime many years ago but now they mostly rely on that old reputation.
>>
>>2741432
Next time i meet a southern girl that has the right number of fingers or even all her teeth i'll do my best to remember that.

Since i don't fuck 8 year olds my chances of having a relationship with a southern female who has all her fingers, toes, teeth or virginity are basically zero.
>>
>>2741326
brands are for cattle
>>
>>2741543
but anon, is a brand not just a maker?
>>
>>2741542
>classic stereotypes
You’re not immune to propaganda.
>>
>>2741550
>You’re not immune to propaganda.

lel, you know that girl is literally propaganda, right?
>>
>>2741515
I can lift heavy things, but I want that to be good weight, not weight uselessly taken up by inefficient design of the pack itself. Most of my favorite packs were not that expensive, usually less than $150. My tastes come from decades of experience, not marketing.
>>
>>2741483
If you actual went backpacking you'd know weight is a very important factor. Carrying an extra ten pounds of backpack is a big deal because you don't want crazy excess weight no matter how much you can carry. You don't have to be an ultralighter to want something reasonably heavy and comfortable.
>>
>>2741645
Not him but I carry roughly 10# extra compared to the average backpacker, but that's from a huge variety of survival gear, two handguns, a large fixed blade, tomahawk, rangefinder, general purpose tools like a mini hacksaw, prybar, file, spike, magnets, and all kinds of stuff useful everywhere that has saved the day for me at one time or another. It's all EDC so my body doesn't even notice, lots of guys are carrying more than that in excess body fat compared to me. My overnight is still less than 25#. If that extra 10# were coming primarily from some stupid retro steel military pack frame that would be real fucking sad, like having mashed potatoes instead of a brain.
>>
>>2741326
Fjallraven is meme tier shit. Quality isn't too bad, but there's plenty of design flaws. If you wan't 100% cotton, your best bet is cheap reproduction military stuff like Miltec or MFH. Those don't last all that long, though. The other options are actual larp stuff (go to a renaissance fair / medieval market, find a craftsman and ask them what it would cost to make you a custom pack) or getting lucky and finding some good quality WW2 or soviet surplus.

My dream pack would be an alice medium ripoff, with an ash or hickory frame, leather pads and a cotton bag with cowfur flap. my grandpa used to ruck a wehrmacht pack like that for most of his life and always claimed it was more comfy than any modern pack he tried. sadly, during the last years of his life, he was unable to maintain it, and the leather ended up drying and cracking to much to use anymore.
But I'm slowly getting the tools I'll need (leather sewing machine, drawknife, carving bench etc.) and if all goes to plan, I should be able to build that leather alice in a year or two.
>>
>>2741326
I really really like the midweight g1000 material but sometimes fjallravens fits are weird and they are too expensive.
>>
I live around alot of wetlands and swamps. I'm in the woods like every day. Anyways It's like 95 degrees right now so youre basically just fighting bugs and heat.

I generally just buy a bunch of these really oversized lightweight cotton chink Amazon shirts for like $15 a piece and wear them out and buy new ones every so often as they get torn up. You can buy expensive shirts but theyll just get torn up eventually in thorns and all. I just tuck the shirt into some kind of really tight weave poly cotton pants I've used kuhl fjallraven and some other brands it really doesn't matter so much as long as the weave is tight. Then I just wear a pair of full length snake boots and a big brim baseball cap or straw hat. And spray yourself down with some kind of bug spray.

I used to try and avoid the bug spray by wearing a heavier clothes and sleeves etc. but it's just not worth it. It's best to wear as light a top as you can sometimes sleeveless even and just soak down with bug spray.

As far as gear goes I carry marking tape to mark plants, a machete, and a extra long dark colored pillowcase folded in half around my belt used as a bag to carry snakes plants etc. In.
>>
>>2741672
That's just because it rode higher. You can achieve the same thing with way less weight with any modern pack with an adjustable torso fit. Most packs are available in two sizes and guys just assume incorrectly they need the larger size. You want the pack to be completely up off of your hips.
>>
>>2741569
It will be easy for you to state the manufacturer and pack name of your favorite pack that cost less than $150 to enlighten us.
>>
>>2741767
Right now the packs I use the most are the LL Bean Continental weekender, 511 Rush 72, and Gregory Nano 16 when I need something small and discreet.
>>
>>2741326
Shop clearance sales off-season, yes, Fjallraven is a good buy. So is TNF, MH, HH, and anything else made overseas. Full-price, it's a ripoff.
Shopping the off-season clearance sales is the key thing.
>>
>>2741779
could you tell me what those acronyms are for thank you
>>
>>2741326
as a norwegian i hate to say this but its swedish so its.. its.... its.. damn it, good af. the volvo of outdoors clothing basicly.
but completely overpriced, atleast here where they can charge anything based on their brand name and its reputation and us spoiled oilnigger will buy it anyway.
>>
>>2741788
The North Face, Mountain Hardware, and Helly Hansen; three brands I would consider above average in terms of quality and capability.
>>
>>2741788
I think HH is Helly Hansen,
MH is probably Mountain Hardware,
TNF...maybe The North Face

I would consider HH good for winter, maybe their sailing stuff is good but I don't sail.

All of those brands and Patagonia, Marmot, Kuhl are all average gear that works.
On the other hand I would say FjallRaven and maybe Canada Goose to be a slight little step above for the materials and durability
>>
>>2741795
>>2741801
>>2741802
thanks guys

there are kanken backpacks on amazon for $50 and they're $99 on fjallraven and rei should i get one or should i just get a backpacking backpack? (i have 2 backpacks already and like 5 duffel bags i just love bags)
>>
>>2741870
>kanken backpacks
That's a school bag for little girls.
>>
>>2741326
Cactus Outdoors.
Hamm made in NZ. Indestructible.
MacPac still has some good packs but I won’t buy their stuff since they moved production to china.
>>
>>2741874
oh
>>
>>2741645
I do go backpacking; I'm just not a bitch about it.
>but but but you'll get TIRED
Yeah. That's what sleep is for.
>>
>>2741892
It's not about being a bitch, if I'm going hiking I'm not gonna bring something which provides 0 benefit and is heavier and less ergonomic than a regular backpack.
>>
>>2741650
based dual wielding cowboy
>>
>>2741465
You sound poor.
>>
>>2742256
I had to own countless specimens of every piece of piece of gear to make final decisions on which one is ideal. Achieving minimalism was actually a very expensive process. Being heavy is much cheaper than being light.
>>
is 60% off an eberlestock pack a good deal? i don't know anything about the brand
>>
>>2742336
All I know about them is every pack they make is so ridiculously heavy I would not buy one at any price no matter what features they have
>>
>>2742058
>if I don't like how much something weighs that means it provides no benefit
I hope you don't expect anyone to take you seriously
>>
>>2741326
is fjallraven good for you?
>>
>>2742351
There's no positive to milsurp besides cost (which is getting debatable) and the fact some have molle. I hope you don't expect anyone to take you seriously because I've never seen anyone on thru hikes using bulky and retarded milsurp packs since everyone knows it's pointless and has no pros over something normal.

I used to be a surplus retard too, then I actually started doing trips longer than a day hike.
>>
>>2742341
yeah looking at them more they are heavy. the lightest one on sale is an 80L weighing 5 lbs+ with a "frame" that's just a plastic backplate
the others are 7+ lbs hunting packs
bummer, the lighter one is under $100 with the sale, i was very tempted
>>
>>2742353
>th-there's no benefit
>except maybe cost
>and molle
>you better not call me out again or I'll have to move the goalposts some more and mention durability
>also it's still pointless even though I specifically admitted to some good points
>>
>>2742367
None of those benefits are worth the ergonomic and weight costs, so yes they are pointless and not major benefits for most people.
Cost isn't that great because there are modern cheaper packs of great quality with less issues. A lot of surplus has gone up in price.
I forgot to mention durability, but I don't view it as a huge gain for civilian hikers since consumer packs are also very durable even if less so.
Molle is cool especially for people who like it, which isn't everyone.
Basically you get shit weight and shit ergonomics for not much less with very few benefits that are either niche use or not a big benefit.
$80 gets you a decent pack from decathalon or Teton which is great for most and much more suited to normal people balk packing. I'm a buy once cry once guy, so I'd just tell people to get a deuter or osprey which can be found for $150 often which isn't much more.
>>
>>2742378
You're not supposed to immediately do what somebody predicts when they're making fun of you, anon
>>
>>2742395
Saying the obvious next point isn't making fun of it or dismissing anything. Have fun never hiking and larping because you're clearly one of those guys if you think weight and comfort aren't important.
>>
>>2742403
>if you don't obsess over minmaxing your packing list and cry about single-digit ounces on a lithuanian high-rise welding forum then you never hike
Cope all you want big guy, but some people are just capable of enjoying things without being a bitch about it
>>
>>2742427
5-10 lbs in gear is likely over a 10% increase in weight
>>
>>2741420
>>2741420
>>2741420
he totally did
>>
>>2742429
>>2742427
>>
>>2742427
>>2742367

You're in your early twenties at most and only go on the occasional short day hike to test out some new piece of gear.
>>
>>2742512
Incorrect
>if you aren't a bitch about everythig like I am then you don't do the thing
Don't forget to do your hand stretches every fifteen minutes so you don't get a sprain from posting
>>
>>2741650
This is genuinely a great shitpost
>>
>>2742512
he's outed himself pretty bad, but the mall ninjas and backyard survivalists help fund the industry
>>
>>2742512
Anons really can't stand it when other people do stuff in a way they don't, kek
>>
>>2741421
>millions of people are enjoying the outdoors in 100% cotton clothing

fact: tens if not hundreds of millions of people are retarded and have the reasoning ability of a twice baked potato. I'm sure the same cotton wearers have no grasp of what standard deviation means but I have neither the crayons or the infinite amount of time required to explain it to you. I want to, but only if you were someone else.
>>
>>2741326
what the fuck did she do to her arm? on the left
>>
>>2743182
>sure, they're enjoying the outdoors
>but they're doing it WRONG
>if they knew what I knew they'd be miserable until they did it RIGHT
lol, okay champ
>>
>>2743182
natural fibers bad

synthetic fibers good

lol
>>
>>2741326
Imagine that dirty fish water going into their vaginal canal.
>>
>>2741350
Yes. Also commonly encountered in Alabama river holes: water moccasins, copperheads, and sexually aggressive men named Cletus.
>>
>>2741332
You have zero idea what you're talking about yet you typed so much.
>>
>>2744423
Everything he said is accurate
>>
File: suffering a lot.jpg (98 KB, 600x350)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>2741326
SNEED FISHING GF
i can only assume she got those injuries to her arm wrestling other large catfish. then went right back out and caught more. based.
>>
>>2741332
one of my best packs is a british army bergen, but they are designed to go above a utility belt and so sit high on the waist, making them not distribute weight very well, despite having a waist strap. still a good and comfy pack i have used many times.
>>2741326
>I want something for backpacking
this kind of means nothing if you don't say for how long.
my go-to is the berghaus vulcan 4, it's what the above was based on. 4 sizes, get the right one for your height, super comfy even with 30kg of gear.
>>
>>2742353
>Never seen milsurp on le thruhike
Gotta love you larpers. I've seen plenty of milsurp on long distane hikes. no "thruhikes" though, since I've never hiked any of those wheelchair-accessible trails. But go into the mountains on trails that you won't find on any maps, and you'll see plenty of Alice and Bergen packs.

>>2741765
>That's just because it rode higher.
That's part of it. But the air gap the exoframe gives you is just as important. In a civilian pack, I'll literally drip sweat after 2-3 km even when I'm wearing synthetics or wool. With my alice, there's none of those problems. Though to be fair, I pretty much specced that thing out with better straps and a magnesium frame, since I was lucky enough to get my hands on some overproduction from a company making packs for marine jungle training over in Japan.
>>
When I walk on manicured trails close to town, I usually run into elderly people who look like they shop at REI. When I go deep into the desert wilderness the people I run into usually look like they've served several tours in the middle east
>>
>>2744516
3-4 days
>>
File: snufkin pack out.jpg (33 KB, 736x552)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2744615
yeah any little 60L bergen will probably do you. i can't comment on fjallrevaen but osprey is good. had a eurohike one that lasted me for like 7 years despite being chinkshit, was really good untill i needed more space for longer hikes.
but regarding synthetics ... they're all but impossible to avoid if you want any kind of modern good quality pack. you would have to buy some niche custom brand for full natural fabrics, or go for old army surplus, in which case I'd vouch for frame packs. and i mean OLD, the really old stuff has leather straps & cotton packs. some of my friends have used them successfully and unsuccessfully, the old leather disintegrated in the rain in one case.
>>
>>2741557
Passerby floridian here that now lives in new york. No she's not. Florida/Georgia girls are not the cajun swampdwellers you were conditioned to believe. It's fucking hilarious the propaganda northerners believe about the south it's almost like a mythical place to them.
>>
File: 1660945871011412.jpg (1.25 MB, 5120x1440)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>2741326
>Fjallraven
north face lite
they're both fashion brands ruined by larpers who want to wear /out/ brands to virtue signal like canada goose

next time you see a chink wearing fresh /out/ gear, just publicly shame them as larpers who only ever circle "base camp"
>standing in grocery checkout in torn dusty solomons
>see technical wear larper autist wearing fresh low cut solomons
>ask if if those are x model and where he uses them
>non answer stuttering
publicly shame them and restore balance to the force
>>
>>2741326
Get one of the expensive brands for half price on ebay. That's how I get most of my gear.
>>
>>2741326
>backpacking
>don't want synthetic
That's going to be difficult without making internet autists very upset
>>
Military gear.
>>
>>2741326
Some Fjallraven is pure polyurethane AND made in China.. it's Nike tier.
>>
>>2741326
Eurobro here, are these two likely in croc / alligator territory?
If so, is what they're doing ballsy, or stupid?
>>
*chair clattering*
>>
>>2743203
why are you looking at her arm
>>
Consider buying a Savotta bag if its in your budget range
>>
>>2750907
because of the huge scar obviously
>>
GoRuck and Mystery Ranch make top tier packs and I have several of each. Highly recommend.
>>
File: IMG_5066.gif (415 KB, 220x217)
415 KB
415 KB GIF
>>2746631
Imagine being this petty about walking outside lmao
>>
>>2741363
There really is no excuse for milsurp when you can buy good and affordable packs from places like Decathlon (or whatever you guys have in Burgerland).

>>2741413
My Coleman Rigel X2 is as basic as it gets, weighs <1kg and cost me <$100.
>>
File: predictive programming.png (2.42 MB, 1874x659)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB PNG
>>2741326
>>
>>2751478
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c8y0RiAzPU
>>
>>2746631
I own a Fjallraven backpack and it's definitely worth the money. Not only has it held up over time, but the higher price tag is worth not feeling the shame of wearing chinkshit every time I go /out/. I've been meaning to remove the Fjallraven logo and replace it with a custom patch because I do still feel kinda faggy wearing their brand. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

>virtue signal like canada goose
Canada Goose jackets are still some of the warmest money can buy.

Not gonna lie anon, you sound like an insecure faggot. Stop worrying about other people. If the chink wants to feel important and high status by wearing expensive gear that he doesn't fully utilize, what difference does it make to your life? You can still buy those brands and cover the logo if you want. If your claim is that they're not worth the money because the status seekers are driving prices up, then just buy something of equal quality for cheaper. Seems like a simple solution.
>>
>>2751496
Which backpack do you have?

t. op
>>
File: 1704656202681016.jpg (304 KB, 680x680)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>2751502
The Skule 28. Great day trip pack.
>>
>>2751503
Does it have a frame? Thanks btw!
>>
>>2751506
no frame, and the waist belt is kinda useless if you have a long torso like me since it's not adjustable. But I don't really see any need for either of those things since it's a relatively small pack to begin with.
>>
>>2746631
>gatekeeping shoes
gay guy alert
>>
>>2746631
>google solomons
>$99 at cabelas and random other shitty stores
blud is gatekeeping garbage
>>
>>2741326
Hannah is so fucking hot
>>
>>2741332
I fell for this meme and I want to warn other anons against milsurp packs. Other bits might be good but you're not saving money if you spent 100 bucks to never use the thing because it's heavy and uncomfortable. It's 100 bucks pissed away. Better to spend more money on the pack you won't hate using than to get a super cheap dust collector
>>
>>2752706
>I didn't use it because it was too hebby so nobody else will either
False
>>
OP here what's the biggest bag Fjallraven has? Their duffels look a bit small compared to Thule and Patagonia
>>2751503
Would a rifle (ak with mag in) fit in that side clip part without falling?
>>
>>2741332
You can tell when someone has never served in the military when they buy "milsurp". Shit is made for slaves of the worst quality imaginable.
>>
>>2752976
Yeah I used to think milsurp was great or brands that advertised as being used for the military (darn tough socks are the exception to the rule) as shit to avoid
>>
>>2752976
>t. "would have signed up" but "would have punched a drill sergeant in the face"
You are incorrect.
>>
>>2741326
I must canoooodle
>>
File: IMG_20240715_141606.jpg (468 KB, 1494x2656)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>i don't want synthetic fabrics
OP you do know a lot of Fjällräven's stuff, like Kånken, are made of vinylon (Juche fiber), right? especially older versions
I use picrel for carrying my guns. works great, around 50 years old, and definitely not 100% cotton by the feel of it. wouldn't be surprised if it was bought in the Fjällräven outlet store in Övik which is still there. was there just earlier this year
>>2741795
KÖTTBULLAD
>>
>>2741326
I was reluctant to buy a fjllraven hat because it's synthetic for the same reason
>>
>>2755076
>>2755245
I bought a backpack since at least they say PFAS free
>>
>>2751496
>shame of wearing chinkshit
So why wear a pack made in China?

All of their stuff is chinkshit, but but the way its priced it could be made in Europe at a profit.
>>
File: vietnamese orthography.jpg (157 KB, 1037x1522)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>2755251
uhm ackshully their stuff is vietshit. get your asian countries right
>>
>>2741326
Is coffee good for you?
>>
>>2741326
The left one is Gina Carano?
>>
File: 1712914646239.png (80 KB, 300x356)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>2741350
I had someone tell me last week that they put boxes in the holes so only the fish can get it. this was some fag in TN tho (not the actual south). I asked because people do this in Louisiana (the south) where gators and snappers are abundant which always left me wondering why most people have their arms and fingers still attached.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.