[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>>
>>2744603
I always put in an IV catheter before I hike so I can quick swap saline bags.
>>
>>2744603
You need to eat too, if its a smaller hike like the guy in article went on you can probably just eat a meal before heading out. I'm getting the feeling the guy just decided to eat breakfast/lunch after he got back from the hike and that, combined with the heat, is what got to him.
>>
>>2744603
really depends on starting conditions.
>physical health/conditioning
>amount of reserve energy
>last time you ate
>last time you drank
>electrolyte levels
>temperature/humidity
>level of exertion
Like if you take any 3 of those in optimal conditions and fuck up the rest, you'll still be fine.
>>
Bump this great thread! An ENEMA, yes an ENEMA up your ASS in the middle of the trail in front of everybody is the BARE minimum to not get dehydrated. YOU HAVE TO SHOVE THE WATER UP YOUR ASS.
>>
>>2744683
U mad bro?
>>
>>2744603
Water with electrolytes. If you just drink water, you can flush too much sodium and your synapses will stop firing.
>>
>>2744693
*It's called Hyponatremia
>>
>>2744603
Check the peak wet bulb temperature projections or look up the heat and humidity and run it through a wet bulb temperature calculator. In dangerous conditions you will need to have free access to shade and water. Above 95F you will die in a matter of hours and you should reschedule your hike.
>>
>>2744603
Water, electrolytes, if you can hear your heartbeat in your ears it's time to stop
>>
>>2744683
but I already keep my trail bananas in there because I like them covered in chocolate when I summit
>>
Get water bottle packets that have electrolytes in them. There are water bottle packets designed for people involved in strenuous activity.
>>
>>2744712
>Above 95F you will die in a matter of hours and you should reschedule your hike.
Lmao. No. I've gone for plenty of multi-day hikes in temperatures up to 40C, as long as you stay hydrated and don't push yourself too hard it's fine.
>>
>>2744720
Bananas have lots of potassium
>>
>>2744725
The wet bulb temperature is different from the temperature. Play with this calculator so you can get an idea of what wet bulb temperatures are dangerous.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/wet-bulb
>>
>>2744786
Interdasting. Thank you anon.
>>
beer, wine or vodka are better then water
>>
>>2744786
>nnnoooooo you don't get it, it doesn't matter that generations of humans regularly survived in these conditions, we gave it a ScArY new name to push our agenda!
>>
>>2744693
And sometimes you get crippling leg cramps
>>
>>2744603
Water with salt NIGGA
>>
>>2746179
Generations of humans were physically fit and acclimatized to hot weather. And they still rested in the shade when necessary.
>>
>>2744603
Electrolytes. Salt and protein. The expert from the article says he likes salted nuts and jerky.
You’d know that if you read the article past the title. But you’re a mouth breathing idiot so you ask on 4chan instead of just reading the article.
>>
>>2746179
Said generations of humans sat in the shade midday and focused on doing as little as possible.
>>
>>2744603
Fun fact, Smart Water only has 25 ppm total dissolved solids, it will surely dehydrate you. Drinking water should have >100 ppm tds
>>
>>2744726
Not really
>>
>>2748194
About 10% of DV, and they're more appealing than eating fistfuls of swiss chard. Don't be a contrarian.
>>
>>2748201
There are many more foods with exceedingly higher potassium levels. Bananas are not particularly high, sorry
>>
>>2748211
>>2748201
>>
>>2748218
>>2748211
>>
>>2744607
Don’t laugh, as a medic and RN I’ve thought about this. Under extreme temperatures running a bag of saline or even lactated ringers maintenance at like 70/hr
>>
>>2748244
Enemas. Give up.
>>
>>2744712
>wet bulb
Thanks for teaching me about this
>>
Elevation exacerbates things. Better be well fed and hydrated before you get to the trailhead. A little sports drink mix in your water and something to eat with easy-access carbos and sodium. I like a bit of fat too like peanuts
>>
>>2744697
This sent me to the ER. I was sick hadn't eaten much of anything in several days. I finally got anti nasuea meds and started drinking water. I drank a ton over the next 36 hours probably at least 2-3 gallons. I was still really thirsty so I drank more, big mistake. ER nurse said oh yeah this happens multiple times every day because of low sodium fads. Too few electrolytes can kill you.

fun fact: ODing on water is the idea that spawned branwdo it's got electrolytes in ideocracy.
>>
>>2746508
>>2746636
>Muh shade
If it's above 30c and humidity is high the shade is doing fuck all to help. You gotta get into a cool place where colder air is sumping.
>>
>>2744693
How did ancient humans do it?
>>
>>2750819
By drinking mineral-rich water from natural sources instead of purified water.
>>
>>2750837
Also by just dieing before they turned 30
>>
>>2748133
>Fun fact, Smart Water only has 25 ppm total dissolved solids, it will surely dehydrate you.
Why does Smart Water have Smart in the name? I'm not a burger and I know about it only because those water filters can screw onto the bottle neck.
>>
>muh water dehydrates you
Literally just put some table salt in your water fucking retards. Problem solved. Look at these idiots discussing IV's lmao lick some salt fucking faggots.
>>
File: SaltLick.webm (1.58 MB, 987x720)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB WEBM
You need minerals. There's a reason goats are beating up hikers for their pee.
>>
>>2750873
>Why does Smart Water have Smart in the name?
Marketing
>>
File: Britons.jpg (168 KB, 828x745)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>2750813
You mean, swamps?
>>
>>2744603
Really just depends on were you're at, in my part of the states the humidity/dew point and UV index will kill you way before the actual heat gets a chance. Exposure is a real thing.
>>
>>2750995
Nah like cool gullys,creeks, riverbeds. Just low points.
>>
>>2750819
First, they were more fit, by necessity. They did not live lives of modern comfort. They also didn't have filtered/purified water. The drank right from the source. Unfiltered water has much higher mineral content. Minerals that we consume as vitamins because our diets aren't varied enough and our water too filtered to provide them naturally. It is our modern "clean" world that is why we need to consume electrolytes supplementaly.
>>
>>2751454
This is a smart man. Smart men eat rocks and raw water. Cooking your water lowers its calories.
>>
>>2750995
Is this why the brithish have such crooked and rotten teeth?
>>
>>2744603
I sweat buckets at work every day. A couple of these keeps me free of cramps.
Virtually identical to Powerade Iso-whatever but a fraction of the price.
>>
>>2751570
That's $NZ Rupees, probably under $2 Freedoms.
>>
>>2751570
You can buy this bottle of concentrate for 60 bucks that makes 90L, I take a little onions sauce bottle with me on trips. I think I got it at health 2000 but I can't remember. Sugar free.
>>
Utah would be the best state in the country if it wasn't a barren hellscape. It's really too bad
>>
>>2751581
Cheers for that I’ll check it out tomorrow.
>>
>>2744724
If you wanna go cheap, get some NoSalt (potassium chloride) and pink salt. bingo bango snake juice
>>
File: emergen-C-packet.png (1.24 MB, 1396x792)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>2751581
The liquid electrolyte bottles have artificial sweetener which i don't like
In amerimuttistan i normally use emergen-c packets because they're cheaper than sports dedicated electrolyte packets.

They have all the same electrolytes except sodium, but that's a nonissue since i get enough sodium from my camping food.
>>
>>2750819
With much more discomfort than modern people. They would have killed someone for a Gatorade and a pair of trail runners.
>>
>>2751459
nah that is just euros in general having low bone density compared to the rest of the world, makes the more vulnerable to modern 'cuisine' fucking their teeth up. it's why black people don't get cavities while white people can be on the ball with dental hygiene and still get fucked up by them. also why there isn't any black dentists
>>
https://science.drinklmnt.com/electrolytes/best-homemade-electrolyte-drink-for-dehydration/

This makes me a little thirsty so maybe pack pure water or dilute it a bit more
>>
Electrolytes yes, but also staying hydrated 24 hours before a difficult outing is important. It's amazing how much eating and drinking right the day before can do for you.
>>
>>2744712
A million mexican roofers confirm you "wet bulb" scaremongers are full of shit.

I used to skate outside in the midday Texas sun at 98% humidity. Water not evaporating doesn't matter, it drips and wipes off.
>>
>>2754901
Tell that to Reddit who can't shut up about muh wet bulb doomsday scenarios. Start with r/collapse.
>>
File: IMG_20240506_204954.jpg (147 KB, 768x1024)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>2744603
Well you need electrolytes too if youre sweating profusely. I was outside yesterday doing tree work for about 4 hours. I stayed hydrated on 1 bottle of gatorade and 1 litre of water. It was something like 86 degrees but 95 with humidex.
>>
>>2744603
Pedialyte
>>
American tap ""water"" is poison
>>
>>2754924
I could stand to get my bulb wet dessu
>>
>>2748201
>10% of DV for an entire banana
>Sugar competes with potassium so it's actually more like 7 or 8%
>A fucking potato has more potassium
Bananas aren't good for meeting daily potassium needs. You'd need like 12 minimum and you'd just be shitting constantly from banana-maxxing. Potatoes are actually viable and you can easily eat a couple no problem. It's still not gonna be all of your daily potassium needs but it's a whole lot better than 10%, which is honestly just a useless amount.
>>
>>2756036
>more contrarian bitching
Did a banana beat you up and take your lunch money or something?
>>
>>2756051
It's not being "contrarian" to point out that they have effectively less than 10% dv of potassium, that's just not a good source. Seriously, to get to half your daily need you'd need to eat 5 of them and I'm the only person I know who eats even 2 of them a day.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.