[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dragobags.jpg (154 KB, 1243x619)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Can we have an /out/ clothing/gear recommendations thread?

>only post stuff you've personally tried
>it's ok to post stuff you specifically didn't like

i'll go first. I've been using a Drago brand bag for about 8 years now, and they are very durable and great stitching. Have packed over 40lbs into these small bags and they still hold up well. It seems Drago may have went out of business through covid, but there bags are found cheap on ebay and apparently amazon still too
>>
File: IMG_1065.jpg (127 KB, 1179x823)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
High quality. Comes extremely sharp. Strong blade. Have used for a few years. Can’t tell if it’s this exact model but it’s by Morakniv
>>
File: IMG_0057.jpg (1.9 MB, 4032x3024)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
Buck 110. It just works + it's mad in America
>>
File: IMG_1067.jpg (531 KB, 1179x1889)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
I bought these weatherproof trail utility shorts. For $14 I find them to be a good deal. They are cross stitched (rip stop). The 3/4 angle rear pockets are nice because I hate carrying items on the front side of my leg. This same brand also makes a trail utility pant that was at Sams and Costco about 6 months ago which was also nice.
>>
What are some shirts like the Arktis stowaway?
>>
>>2747268
>it's mad in America
most things are
>>
File: pixlr_20240624121233063.jpg (2.13 MB, 2048x2048)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
I absolutely recommend the tasmanian tiger 55l trooper pack. I absolutely love this backpack. After refining my gear and working out what I wanted and needed I got this bag and I will never go back to having to reach down into my bag to get shit.

Yes it's expensive. Yes it's 2.6kg baseweight with an internal frame. Yes it has the meme V2 strap hyper technology shit and yes it is tacticool but it's robust and so practical.
>>
>pic related
expensive, but I cannot find a better stove that doesn't need other extra shit to make work well (eg wind screens)

>but you can't pan fry food on it!
if you're trying to make omelettes then you're a faggot and must be "backpacking" no more than a few yards from the concrete sidewalk you're on, or if you're car camping you can bring literally any other type of stove or just use a camp fire to do a much, much better job to cook fresh food
>>
>>2747444
I use the 45+ modular pack for weekend trips. I do like the idea of being able to splay my stuff out without worrying about it, but you have to pack in a very specific and weight-inefficient way to do so.
>>
File: helikon bergen.png (915 KB, 1024x1024)
915 KB
915 KB PNG
i use this piece of shit. the main compartment is 18 liters and the side and front compartments make it 25 total. it really limits what i can take with me on trips. i for example, only eat cold food, and never take a heater. i either take a sleeping bag or a liner - but never both. i secure my tent bag underneath the 2 main straps. i also removed the morale patch velcro because i think its cringe. you can also slip things (like knives or shovels) in between the outer compartments and main compartment. construction is very sturdy
>>
I buy and wear a lot of expensive pants from brands like Triple Aught Design, Prana, Fjallraven and Beyond, but I've been really happy with these cargos from Propper. They're the BDU 2.0, I got them for like $30. For the price they're a great value. If you like NYCO pants they're worth trying
>>
File: Beyond Wind Shirt.jpg (578 KB, 1080x2004)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
>>2747303
I got this on a steep discount, Beyond is retarded expensive but I shop their clearance and get good deals as an army bro. Has a packable hood and stuffs down to roughly baseball size. Has breathable material around the armpits. Great quality.
Outdoor Research helium wind hoodies are popular but I've never owned one. I do have a full zip Kuhl wind jacket that I've worn the shit out of, I think I bought it for like $11 used.
>>
>>2748464
Looks cool

I need a new bag, would you say $200 AUD is a fair price?
>>
>>2748523
>>2748464
Actually fuck it, watched some videos. Seems legit.

Got one. Thanks anon.
>>
i use this as a day-pack, it's 23 liters - the compartments don't allow for bulky items,
but i'm working on substituting gear to make it work as an overnight pack.
my overnight pack is a 55 liter bergans helium v5
>>2748464
this was my previous daypack
>>
File: Camo.jpg (670 KB, 1920x1440)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
I have gotten a lot of good use out of military surplus items. The US Army Camouflage pattern, Universal Camouflage Pattern (ACP UCP) items are very durable. The US Army has discontinued this camo pattern and many people do not like the pattern so it can be found at very good prices. There are many YouTube videos of people dyeing the UCP items to better suit themselves. Left to right Alice pack in M81 Woodland camo, a Marpat magazine shingle, A US ACP UCP Raid Pack, A US ACP UCP 65 liter pack. Not pictured but I also have a milsurp Goretex Bivy shelter, poncho liner, and poncho.
>>
>>2748639
Usually whatever the current pattern is will be expensive because it's the one all the airsofters, landscapers and veterans trying to re-live the "good times" want. As soon as the Army comes out with a new camo, OCP stuff will get cheap.
>>
>>2747217
Any flashlight recommendations? Both for something of an ultralight/EDC light and also for something with a little more oomph for longer trips.
>>
File: IMG_1172.jpg (770 KB, 2048x1107)
770 KB
770 KB JPG
Love these lil shits like you wouldn't believe. Easily the most expensive item of clothing I own, 100% worth it.
>>
So, since mosquito repellant of any kind doesn't seem to work on me, I want to wear gloves in especially horrible conditions.
I was thinking of using bike gloves (full finger obv.), but I am wondering if the fabric isn't too thin, so I would still get stung.
inb4 stop being such a pussy - last time I had eight bites on my back and shoulders alone (because I was wearing pretty thin fabric), plus three on the left hand and two on the right.
>>
>>2748868
> So, since mosquito repellant of any kind doesn't seem to work on me,
Have you tried modern picaridin ones? They are more effective than DEET-based, and the effectiveness compared to "natural" stuff like essential oils by a very long shot.
Barring that, permethrin doesn't just work on ticks. Mosquitoes, wasps, lice, anything. The only thing it couldn't kill in my experience were a few beetles, but these weren't biting. However, be prepared to buy a lot of it and spray your clothes before every /out/ing. If you do, I imagine you will be poisonous enough that mosquitoes will ignore your exposed hands as well as your clothes.
But answering your question, you can try cheap leather gloves. Mosquitoes surely won't bite through them, and if they're not comfortable, you can ditch them.
>>
>>2748875
it also works on humans. enjoy your cancer
>>
>>2748887
Eh. As far as I can see, it is considered carcinogenic based on tests on rats, and only for oral intake. Anyway I smoke and spend a lot of time in the sun, some one of these things eventually will kill me. Beats lyme or alpha-gal.
>>
>>2748888
>Eh. As far as I can see, it is considered carcinogenic based on tests on rats, and only for oral intake.
Can you show me the study where they tested it on humans? Oh wait, they can't do that because it's unethical.

Just because there is no study for something doesn't mean it's automatically safe.
>>
>>2748875
Leather gloves are nice for fall and early winter. I probably should have specified that I mean summer specifically, so the gloves should be as thin as possible, while being thick enough to prevent those fucks eating me alive.
>>
>>2748891
> Can you show me the study where they tested it on humans? Oh wait, they can't do that because it's unethical.
Well, they didn't test it, but there's this
https://zero.sci-hub.se/6771/6626f574ef5f841f4add83b4c8eb544f/boffetta2018.pdf?download=true
Review of existing cancer studies where exposure to permethrin was one of the features in the dataset (it seems to be mostly farmers who spray cattle regularly), and take just those cases. It's not a huge base of studies, but they find no correlation with most cancers in most studies, and find two where there is some correlation with myeloma and childhood leukemia. Leukemia one is only in children so I'm not concerned at all. The other one at the same time was very close to staticically insignificant and found that permethrine lowers the chance of other cancers so they consider it likely insignificant. I briefly checked both guys' publications and none of them seem like they're on a publishing spree disproving pesticide-cancer associations, so seems trustworthy enough to me.
>>
>>2748895
...although at the same time
> The professional association of the authors is shown on the cover sheet. The review was conducted in response to a request to PB from Dr Thomas Osimitz of Science Strategies (SS; http://www.sciencestrategies. com/) acting as an intermediary for the Permethrin Data Group II (PDGII) Steering Committee/Joint Venture operating under the auspices of the Household and Commercial Products Association (HCPA; https://www. thehcpa.org). Members of the PDG II include AMVAC, Bayer CropScience, FMC, GhardaChemicals Ltd. LG Lifesciences, Meghmani Organics Ltd, MGK Co, and UPI, companies that produce and/or market Permethrin. The authors were compensated via a consultancy contract with SS funded by PDGII. The planning and conduct of the review and prepar- ation of the paper were independent professional activities of the authors. A draft of the paper was provided to SS/PDGII for technical review. The SS/PDGII, in turn, requested a technical review of the paper by Dr. Samuel Cohen, University of Nebraska Medical Center, comments which were provided to Paolo Boffetta. The conclusions in the paper are the views of the authors and are not necessarily the views of SS or PDGII. Neither of the authors during the past 5 years has appeared in any legal/regulatory proceedings related to the contents of the paper nor have they been engaged to appear in such proceedings in the future.

So you could say that as long as they got paid, it is worthless.
>>
I really like pic related. Salomon cross run LS shirt, lightweight and comfortable stuff.
>>
>>2748515
50/50 nyco is gods fabric
>>
>>2748515
Just grabbed a set to replace my ancient cotton pair. Thanks for the tip anon.
>>
>>2747260
I second Morakniv but for the cheap ones and the Spark. at the 70 dollar price you have a lot of better options from different brands.
>>
my biggest recommend is using aluminum/bare steel/cast iron cookware from the thrift store. been doing it for three decades now that way and saved a ton of money avoiding the expensive titanium shit other dudes would buy.

this recommend does not apply if you're backpacking and relying on your gear intensely, I tried that with a thrifted aluminum pot and got fucked after it melted when I got distracted.
>>
Has anyone owned Paramo waterproof gear and have an opinion on it?
>>
File: gorka.jpg (81 KB, 680x1500)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Does anyone make something similar to a gorka, specifically the pants? I have one and I love hiking in it especially in the colder months because of the water resistant paneling, but I want to get something less military looking for hiking trips abroad because I don't want to attract unwanted attention.
>>
>>2750299
Gorka pants by themselves just look like something hunters wear
>>
>>2750299
Fjallraven
>>
guys I need some suggestions for deep winter clothes.
stuff that works in -20 to -30 C.
specific pieces, general knowledge or just brands in general would be interesting to me.

I'm moving to Lapland and my current winters are around -10 - 15C and a lot less snow.

I'm usually good with thermo long John's and a light puffer jacket under a wind proof chunky fleece jacket but I feel like I have to up my game.

I'm probably looking at a good hardshell jacket and a more substantial puffer and either dedicated snow pants or some kind of over pants.

I'm not a good consumer and I go hiking in Dickies work pants.
my thermal stuff is all from Uniqlo because it fits well looks good and is very decently priced.
I do have money if it makes sense to splurge on the hard shell jacket or the puffer but generally speaking I'm thrifty and not out to min max some questionable performance gains.

to make life harder, all black everything is kinda important to me.
I'm literally on the spectrum and wearing colorful clothes is a weird no go for me.
plz don't bully.
>>
>>2748838
Careful, once you wear these you won't want to wear anything else. It's like walking in indestructible pyajamas all day.

The gen.2 shorts are also very nice, the vent zippers make a huge difference.
>>
File: MRMH0185916-2.jpg (213 KB, 1072x790)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>2747217
I've had a pair of Merell Crosslander 3's for a while now, and I can't say enough good about them. They did have a break-in period of about 1.5-2 weeks, but after that it has felt like I'm wearing cozy-ass houseshoes. I actually wear them all day at work (home repair) in addition to innawoods, so I really appreciate the arch support. I also like the fact that the rubber from the sole comes up a little to help prevent scuffing the toe and heel of the shoe.
>>
File: Capture.png (248 KB, 1250x989)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
These fine lads right here. Not for heavy work but as far as a utility/skinning knife they work great on everything from trout to buck and weigh next to nothing.
>>
>>2748893
I got some thinner breathable Mechanix gloves and the mosquitos bit straight through. Normal Mechanix gloves prevent them from biting.
>>
File: IMG_4788.jpg (17 KB, 233x300)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
How can I procure an outfit similar to the 1800s british safari type
>>
>>2747217
What size backpack do I need for a day hike?
>>
>>2752348
Assuming you want to look more like your pic and less like Archimedes Q. Porter with a pith helmet and 'stache, you're going to want to look for clothes in khaki, olive drab, or coyote tan.
Sites like Propper and Tru-Spec sell pants and button-downs that should fit the bill, and since they're made for "tactical" wear, they'll hold up a lot better than "costume" or dress clothing of a similar style.
If you're wanting boots, you could possibly look at reproduction WWII U.S. Army "jump boots". They even make canvas gaiters for them, which fit right in with the old safari style.
For hats, try something with a wide brim like a slouch hat, Panama, boonie, or Aussie bush hat.
Two items that I personally own which might fit your aesthetic are my SADF bush hat (repro. from Fireforce Ventures) and my khaki "service" shirt (Belgian milsurp from Kommando Store but found elsewhere too). I can attest that both are of great quality and will last a long time even with rough use.
One more thing: please tell me you plan on storming out of the bush at urbanite hikers, brandishing a massive side-by-side and babbling about rogue elephants.
>>
>>2748653
https://zakreviews.com/arbitrary-list.html
>>
>>2752308
i bought a piranta stag and couple months later a havalon redi, now my regular knives stay in the kitchen drawer. AUS-8 blades last ok for light work and can be sharpened stropped or tossed and replaced
>>
>all this military larp
why not get drafted and go to ukraine instead you massive whores?
>>
>>2754523
>he doesn't know why military gear is usually better
Retard. Go buy your North Face.
>>
File: IMG_0719.jpg (129 KB, 720x960)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
A silver umbrella is one of the most versatile pieces of hiking gear you can buy.

>most ventilated rain protection, 100% breathable
>UPF 50+
>heat reflective
>can direct a breeze downward on to you
>knocks down spiderwebs
>hide when shitting as a courtesy to possible strangers
>beak for a tarp

They sort of work hands free but it’s far from ideal; that’s better for sun than rain. You really have to have a hand dedicated to it in the rain. As such, it’s impossible to do things like set up camp or dig through your pack in a moderate rain. In a light rain, where you’d end up soaked if you hiked in it for a hour but a few minutes won’t hurt, it’s obviously better than any other option.

They absolutely dominate on the East Coast and obviously in any desert. The further you go toward the Southeast, the better they are. Rain showers become more sporadic due to abiotic effects, and temps are generally higher and don’t cool during the rain. Anyone using a rain jacket this time of year is either objectively and clinically retarded or lives far west of the Mississippi River.

There’s also the super cozy appeal of having your own comfy space while hiking. It’s like hanging out under a small tarp in the rain, but while hiking. It’s the same in hot weather, but more so in rain. Plus the sound of rain pattering against it is fantastic. Several companies use the exact same model and just slap their logo on it. It’s been popular in the US since the early 2000’s when GoLite introduced it as the Chrome Dome.

Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, Euro Schirm, and Z Packs all have identical models with different logos.

>doesn’t it snag on trees?
No, which is why it’s popular on the AT (basically a green tunnel). I used an original Chrome Dome on sections of the Florida Trail, which is a literal jungle.

>but wind!
Pair it with a running jacket. They won’t turn inside out because of the way they’re constructed.
>>
>>2747260
>paying 70$ for a mora
I've been using a 5$ stainless mora for 15 years now. Everything from carving to batoning. The fulltang version is a meme.
>>
>>2754523
>buying milsurp means you want to be in the military
lol, no
>>
>>2752222
>suggestions for deep winter clothes.
For what use?
>hiking
Short wool underwear (varusteleka has them rather cheap), miltec austrian pullover (looks like crap, but is designed in such a way that it won't slide up even if you lift your arms above your head), some sort of wool cap (I've used simple knit caps so far and am going to try a Finish m43 this winter), a thinly insulated pair of pants (mine are cheap shit from aldi and work just fine).
Basically, you want coarsely woven / knit stuff as possible on your torso, head and arms so seat can evaporate and fine, waterproof fabric on your legs so you don't get wet when walkingthrough brush or gras.
>static stuff like hunting or birdwatching
Wool underwear, shearling jacket (basically an old fashioned aviator's jacket), German army surplus winter mittens, long wool underpants, insulated pants, woolfelt or woven wool cap.
You're not gonna sweat, but also won't be warm enough to evaporate rain, so you want waterproof top materials. You could also go with synthetics and a poncho, just avoid membranes as they won't work properly unless your body is warm enough - which it won't be if you're sitting around for hours.
>riding vehicles (tractors, utvs, anything that isn't a bike) where you're sitting in the weather without using your muscles
long wool underwear, wool pullover, oilskin coat or poncho.
Maximum insulation, basically, to deal with the extra chill from driving.

Also,
>-20 to -30°C
isn't that cold. That's what southern Germany gets at night. I've never been to Lapland (or Scandinavia in general), but if I was you, I'd doublecheck that that's really the lowest temperatures and not the average daily temperature or something like that.
>>
>>2752370
None at all. A small slung back or even a belt with a canteen pouch and a GP pouch for some food is more than enough.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>british lightweight thermal smock
bought it for winter running in around -20c and it might actually be too thick for it. otherwise seems like a pretty good piece of clothing
>>
>>2754530
>usually better

It never really is the "best" choice, but it can often be the best value choice.
>>
>>2747217
Consumerism general
>>
>>2754608
consumerism is based unless you're a filthy pinko.
>>
>>2754608
>I go camping in the same clothes I use for socializing and church
Ok weirdo
>>
>>2754617
Just wear fucking gym clothes and buy a sleeping bag and shit from Walmart nigga we don’t need 500 consumerist propaganda threads here, this is /out/ not /fa/ or /shopping/
>>
>>2754618
>sleeping bag from Walmart

way to let us know you've never slept outside.
>>
>>2754620
I was a sniper in the marines bruh I just slept with nothing but some cammie netting or a tarp over me most nights
You faggots and your expensive ass high end le heckin ultralight gear are no different than people who camp in RV’s.
>>
>>2754551

thanks for the write up, that sounds all very reasonable.
sounds like I'll hit up Varusteleka for some basics And then fine tune as needed.

will definitely give coars knits a try and have to get my hands on some waterproof insulated pants.

-20C - -30C is definitely not the lowest more of a "daytime" average.

we had -20 around here before and it felt surprisingly easy to handle but we never had the amount of snow that Lapland gets.
>>
>>2754622
sure you were kid, and I measure Taylor Swift for tailor made panties.

the whole point of OPs post is good gear that isn't expensive btw, this isn't an ultralight circle jerk thread
>>
>>2754622
lets see you camping in -20c
>>
>>2747277
What do you need waterproof shorts for? lol
>>
>>2754642
he loves getting soaked below the knees but not on his thighs, DUH
>>
File: 20230507_102720.jpg (1.72 MB, 1843x2457)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>2747217
I've had a HPG Umlindi bag for about 3 years now, my only complaint is that the compression strap which goes around the water bottle sleeve should have had a guide on the top of the sleeve to prevent it from sliding around when you're jamming a bottle into it while it's on your back.
>>2748519
Second for kuhl, I have a set of their renegade pants that I wear for pretty much everything that isn't bushwacking through himalayan blackberries.
>>2748653
You'll get a lot more use cases out of a headlamp in my opinion. I fell for the overengineered muh lumens muh aluminum meme until I actually got caught out hiking in the dark and had to put it on. A big headlamp works fine for the previous use cases I had like night fishing but when you're climbing around on rocks trying to get off a mountain you want something light that will stay where it is on your head, not something top-heavy. In case you were wondering, the Nitecore HC65 also has a critical flaw where it will slowly drain the battery if you leave it in the light. Fucking retard engineers.

I think the biggest decision for flashlights is battery powered (Batteries can be bought pretty much everywhere and if you're backpacking it's probably more convenient) and rechargeable (Don't have to pay for batteries but once it's dead you need an outlet or a power bank to get it working)

I ended up getting a Nitecore NU25 rechargeable headlamp and I haven't had any complaints yet.
>>
>>2754624
>not saying "taylor made panties"
>thinking walmart sleeping bags count as ultralight
Marines are gay and all but you're worse
>>
File: meyer-hosen.png (37 KB, 600x237)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
Is Meyer outdoor pants still good quality? I've got an old model (15-25 years) that have held up great so far, walking through dense forests, splashed with saltwater etc.
>>
>>2754666
nah the golf company doesn't make underwear. and you're retarded, aren't you. nobody in the whole thread said Walmart bags are ultralight. not even close, read the comments again.
>>
>>2752410
Not bad advice thanks lad.
It just seems comfy, steve irwin could larp it quite well a bit. I also would like to go back to the days of redcoats. Everything is so souless now a days
>>
>>2754648
The annoying thing about a rechargable headset is if you have to charge it you can't use it at the same time... well, maybe you can, but having a cable to your power bank with the lamp on your head would be annoying as fuck. It's unfortunate because I carry a power bank anyway for my phone (which acts as my gps), but I carry two extra sets of AAAs for my headlamp when I'm out. They don't weigh much at least.
>>
>>2754547
>things used to be cheaper
!!!genius alert!!!
>>
I need an entry level tent and sleepbag recommendation. My country has hot climates ranging from humid to somewhat dry.
>>
>>2748515
I still have a few pairs from working correction, OD green though. Everyone at my institution wore Propper or 5.11. I tried both, Propper are thicker, more robust, less flexible. 5.11s are thinner, lighter, more flexible, arguably more comfortable but not as robust.
Either way I support your recommendation
>>
>>2749190
Based thriftshop outfitter.
full stainless gets my vote if you're going to be beating up the wares. Cast iron is amazing but very heavy. Carbon steel is about the same way.
>>
Any recommendations on a toiletry bag/case?
>>
>>2747217
Janny on k banned me for saying fuck war tourist so I'll ask here. Should I use disposable earplug cut up and put in the gaps of my comms for extra sealing or something else?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.