[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#508- “Independence Day Lunkers” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2744010

janny pls…

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
File: palometa blanca.png (892 KB, 994x523)
892 KB
892 KB PNG
my gf (good fish)
>>
File: 1695774248615.jpg (2.46 MB, 1440x1811)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
Tortle
>>
Should I buy a Daiwa Zillion SV TW or should I pay for a Steez?
>>
>>2749758

He dance like a man.
>>
>>2749758
I recently found out soft shells can jump pretty wild.
>>
>>2749742
>>2749727
Solid ties
>>
>>2749816
Neat! I was just happy to catch this since it meant I didn't get skunked
>>
I'm just starting to work with the drop shot using live bait. What size hook would you recommend if I'm trying to catch mostly bluegill and maybe smaller largemouth/catfish? I've mostly been using size 6 so far.
>>
>>2749911
6 is on the large end for gills. Try 10 or 8.
>>
File: 20240701_021823.jpg (521 KB, 1805x1445)
521 KB
521 KB JPG
>>2749818
Thanks! I'm working on the Grifith's Gnat today. This one should be good for me this time of year, lots of swarms of small flying bugs.
>>
File: 20240701_030501.jpg (187 KB, 835x743)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>2749994
>>
I’m moving to Cleveland soon. Where should I fish in the area? My boss mentioned there was good trout fishing. I’m a bass and panfish guy. Any gear or lure recommendations? I assume it’s similar to Indiana?
>>
>>2749911
For live bait I wouldn’t use dropshot, just a circle hook and a float/indicator.
>>
>>2750009
>>2749994
Solid but your hackle is oversized and your heads are sloppy. Watch tightline productions on youtube, he has a tying techniques playlist that has a video on hackle sizing and neat heads on flies. Regardless, theyll fish.
>>2750085
Yeah you'll be fine for bass and sunfish eith your normal gear. Theres also walleyes, perch, and crappies. Those trout he was telling you about are lake run rainbows
>pic related
They're stocked in vermillion, rocky, chagrin, grand, and conneaut rivers. In 3 years the ones they stocked in the cuyahoga should start returning too. Lake erie has fish but is tough from shore, all the tributaries have smallmouth, most reservoirs have the usual culprits of bass panfish and walleye.
>>
I'm a beginner when it comes to fishing. What are the best online resources for learning absolutely everything about the sport?
>>
>>2750137
You can learn a lot online but that wont even get you half way there, time on the water is the real teacher.
YouTube is good, 4chan has a thread about it, in fisherman is a decend resource, but your best bet is to talk to your local tackle shop and but some shit from em while you're there.
>>
>>2750107
Thanks for the feedback :)
Yeah, the hackle is too long. I only had 6 strands of grizzly in the kit I bought on craigslist and they were all the same length. I don't have a hackle measurer, so I compared the size on the hook.
I was also supposed to leave some hook shank near the eye exposed while tying to get a neat head and make tying onto the line easier. But I ran the hackle too far up. This made finishing a pita. There are hackles stuck under the head wraps that I had to trim afterward to expose the hook eye. I'll definitely work on that.
>>
File: IMG_8642.jpg (1.52 MB, 3024x3140)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
My autism now allows me to only buy cool colored reels. I need a babby blue one now.
>>
>>2750085
>I assume it’s similar to Indiana?
i fucking hope not
>>
Thoughts on bowfish people
>>
>>2750290
It's fine if you aren't tarded, but most of them are tarded.
>>
>>2750107
Thanks Skid. Sounds like I’ll be keeping busy this fall.

>>2750275
Climate wise and species wise it’s similar . Trust me, I hate this state. Nothing but corn fields, flat land, and crabs in a bucket mentality. I’m leaving as soon as I finish my degree.
>>
Who are these psychos I meet who catch and release trout because they think they taste bad?
>>
>>2749793
I quite like my zillion. The clicking drag is a nice feature and it's held up well for two years.

>>2750245
I don't know if they still make them, but the quantum smoke is a periwinkle color, might tickle your fancy

>>2750362
Ohio is a great place to live and fish. You just aren't taking advantage of it enough.
>>
>>2750444
Moving from Indiana to Ohio. Just looking for spot recommendations and things to do or see.
>>
>>2750528
Your best bet is going to be talking to a local tackle shop once you're moved in. There's access for all the tributaries if you look, plenty of jetties and piers in parks on erie, and then most reservoirs have plenty of access by bridges and such.
>>
>>2750362
indiana just sucks for fishing, our lakes are an afterthought
>>
File: 20240702_154710.jpg (918 KB, 2208x1577)
918 KB
918 KB JPG
Left a pflueger president xt in the rain overnight by accident after getting back to camp in pitch dark. Should I tear it down and clean it, what if a reel got submerged?

I was starting to think the lake was pretty lifeless because I wasn't seeing much baitfish or bird activity but ended up beating the skunk with a nice smallie on a ned bug
>>
>>2750663
It wouldn’t hurt to take it down and relube it. I generally at least check the grease in my reels if they get dunked.
>>
Question for people who bow and arrow cast with fly rod. How do you it without getting stuck with a hook ? When you dock shoot on spinning gear you have to hold the hook bend or something on the jig behind the point less you get stabbed by the hook. I see people just grabbing line and letting it rip, seems dangerous.
>>
>>2750677
With big flies i grab the hook bend but if you grab the tippet 18 inches up from the fly and let the fly dangle it wont hit your hand, the energy required to pull the fly up to your finger is greater than the energy required to pull the line down towards the fly so they wind up meeting somewhere in the middle. besides, even if you do get poked, the hook should come right out without any fuss. you do fish barbless, right?
>>
>>2750688
Kelly Galloup does not fish barbershop and has made a couple videos about removing hooks.
>>
>>2750705
removing barbed hooks isn't a huge issue, but barbless is inarguably way easier. barbed hooks tend to require some consideration in the way they're removed, while barbless hooks you can let your inner caveman just rip them out.
>>
there's an owl that has learned people will feed it fish they catch at a pond near me
i know i really shouldn't but i do it anyway
he sits right next to me and watches me fish for hours
as soon as i get to the water's edge he makes a beeline for me and lands in a tree just next to me if he's around
i feel like i should name him
>>
>>2750663
Left out in the rain, I wouldn't worry about it. If it took a dunk, I'd take it apart to make sure no water got on somewhere it can cause corrosion. Most reels are pretty water tight though.
>>
>>2750009
I stopped by my fly shop to check out their feather and hook selection. I bought some #16 grizzly hackle feathers and another pack of peacock hurls, both very reasonably priced. I also bought some #14 and #16 long light hooks. The ones I was tying on were regular light. I also bought some stuff to make some pat's rubber legs. #6 & #8 3xl 2xh, lead free wire .020, black and coffee chenille and some rubber skirts in about the same color.
>>
>>2750706
Do you only debarb flies? If so, is that because of fly casting or because of the precious fish?
>>
>>2750727
Easier catch and release, many states also require you to fish barbless when targeting particular species which in turn happen to be popular species to catch on the fly.
>>
>>2750727
A lot of fly fishermen are strictly catch and release for some reason. I suppose they think they're being kind to the fish. But I'd argue, if you wanted to be nice, you wouldn't have tricked it into biting a hook in the first place. I fished catch and rele3ase when I lived in Texas, but that's only because the lakes I was fishing had heavy metal warnings and recommended you not eat them. Now the only time I will release is if the fish is too small. I don't fish on catch and release only creeks or during the time of year when all trout are catch and release.
>>
>>2750337
What about people who bow fish Rough fish aka gar and sheepshead and buffalo even though they are native and have no catch limits
>>
>>2750729
Fly fishing os for faggy liberals from the north east
>>
>>2750731
I beg to differ. I just started fly fishing and it has to do entirely with the bodies of water I'm fishing and the fish I'm targeting. It can be difficult to fish with a spinning reel for trout on fast moving, cold water mountain streams. Fly fishing is a lot more efficient. The trout eat lots of very small bugs, lures that would be too small and light to cast with a spinning reel. I've caught several on mepps and similar inline spinners with a spinning reel in certain parts of the river and in the lakes. And I've fished worm and bobber, roll casting with a regular spinning rod in the smaller creeks. But there are many times where the water is moving in a way that a spinning reel is just not feasible. That's why I bought myself a fly setup.
>>
AHEM
I keep bass, pike, walleye
Fuck you
That is all
>>
>>2750730
When the targeted species is non-native or in good shape population wise (EG carp and shortnose gar), it's fine as long as people aren't making a nuisance or hazard with the way the dispose of the dead fish. But a lot of bowfishermen don't bother to learn how to distinguish between carp and endangered natives like redhorse or quillbacks, and that's shitty.

I fill a 35 gallon trash can with carp every year to add to my garden soil, and I use a bow to do it, but I'm careful to bowfish in locations that facilitate positive identification of what I'm shooting.

I'm not against spearing northern pike either (though I stopped because I find targeting them with a iFish tipup to be more fun), but I know a few morons who've been doing it for decades on lakes with muskies who I wouldn't trust to differentiate between the two to save their goddamn life.
>>
>>2750746
I'm not against spearing or bow fishing I just think the term rough fish needs to go away and their should be a catch limit on all natives even if they have good population it can be a big limit but a limit none the less I know in Minnesota where I live they just put a limit on gar and their also is a 100 fish limit on bull head catfish

I also think if you go blast fish with a bow and leave them on the bank you should loose fishing privileges for a couple years minimum
>>
I've been limiting myself to a fanny pack for fishing and trying to include everything I think is "essential" for ANY freshwater fishing (anything from chub to 10+# catfish). I've been experimenting with what is most productive/useful for the least amount of space, but curious if anyone has any suggestions. I have:
>rope stringer
>pliers
>nail clippers
>assorted pencil/rocket bobbers
>10# fluoro (for leader)
>crappie bites (knockoff power bait)
>drop shot weights
>split shots
>1/0 - 5/0 EWG
>assorted small hooks
>4" senkos
>6" trick worms
>3.5" swimbaits
>chatterbaits
>football jigs
>in-line buzz bait
>assorted spoons and in-line spinners
>frogs
>whistling jigs
>trout magnet assortment
>>
File: 20240701_165251.jpg (2.35 MB, 4032x3024)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>2750724
Hella I cant wait to see
>>2750727
I debarb a lot of stuff. It's easier on fish, barbless hooks penetrate better, and most importantly they're easiest to get out of myself and my clothes/fishing bag without damage.
>>2750731
>go outside
>see people having fun
>they're doing it differently than me
>get pissed off, go back inside
>go on 4chan to complain about people having fun differently than me
Lol, lmao.
>>
>>2750755
>they're easiest to get out of myself
NTA.. I've never hooked myself, thankfully. I've done plenty of damage to shirts, pants/shorts, my pack, etc. though...lol. And my oldest fishing memory is of fishing with my family and a family of friends. I don't remember exactly how old I was. I was in first or second grade. One of the friends, a girl, a year older than me, accidently released her line on her back swing. I was walking behind her, what I assumed a safe distance. I was wrong. She hooked my thumb. I'm guessing she thought she was caught in a bush or something because she started yanking....yank yank yank.... I'm screaming for her to stop, she keeps yanking. One of the adults finally realized what had happened and took the pole from her. Only then did she turn around to see what was going on behind her. I was hooked good. It was in the pad of my thumb, no tendons or anything to worry about thankfully. My dad ended up pushing the point through and out, so he could pinch the barb and pull it out.
>>
>>
File: 1000005855.jpg (4.22 MB, 3000x4000)
4.22 MB
4.22 MB JPG
what are some good heavier reel and line combos you'd get for an ugly stik GX2? right now I have a Shimano sienna on it but I want to be able to fish off the pier. And I will bump the sienna down to replace the shitty reel on my super light collapsible 5lb line rod. picrel is my PB catfish c:
>>
File: 20240703_030900.jpg (469 KB, 2034x1400)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
>>2750724
Griffith's gnat take 2.
>>
File: 20240703_031022.jpg (343 KB, 1355x1109)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
>>2750848
#14 1x fine 2x long the heads look better, but still need work, I think. The first one(top) I didn't go far enough back. The rest I think look pretty good. :) I can't wait to try these out on the water. The last time I was out, there were swarms of midge like flying insects. This is exactly what I needed and I didn't have one.
>>
>>2750850
And it's 14 hackle I bought today, not 16. They didn't have 16.
>>
>>2750754
This is my kind of tism, I bring most of what you have. Add in floating jerk bait, use it like crank or twitch it on top. Smaller sizes like a Rapala F5 or F7. Bass, crappie, sunfish, even channel cats. Still mad that fucker stole that lure.
>>
File: 20210703_130717.jpg (1.8 MB, 3264x2448)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>2750761
My musky flies are literally just floating around loose in my car if they weren't barbless they'd be stuck in my seats and tackle bag lmao.
>>2750848
>>2750850
Much better. Your heads are still a little on the big side but you'll get that figured with time. The fish dont care anyways, it's just a curb appeal thing.
>>
>>2750914
I like that, just added a few 2" jerk baits I had lying around. Also added some smaller jig heads and ~1" curly tail grubs for walleye.
>>
I'm a poorfag who's never fished before, how can I get into it cheaply?
>>
>>2750845
An Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder if you fish bait for cats.
>>
>>2750954
A Berkley Cherrywood spinning rod in Medium Light ($30), a Daiwa Crossfire 1000 spinning reel, and an appropriate Berkley gift pack (I think the Walleye one is the best deal at $17 at Walmart right now, but it might not be appropriate for what you target in your area).
You can get by cheaper, but these three things will let you try a few different techniques with gear that is good enough to be pleasant to use, durable enough to survive your mistakes, and likely to produce success.
>>
>>2750954
>>2750982
>Berkley Cherrywood
I hate that rod, just get the Shakespeare $10 rod at Walmart if you're going to go cheap (and pair it with the Shimano FX reels). The Cherrywood snapped, the first time I used it, on a ~3# bass
As for lures for bass, the Yum variety pack (also at Walmart) is a good intro to soft plastics at $10, in-line spinners are great for a wide variety of fish at different sizes, and a few bobbers, split shots, and small hooks with worms, corn, bread, etc will catch a lot. Generally, stick with a limited number of types of lures initially that are known to work well, then branch out once you feel comfortable. Lots of lures catch absolutely nothing but fisherman
>>
>>2750954
Post budget and location
>>
>>2750954
I agree with >>2751006 for the most part. I haven't used the Berkley Cherrywood, so I have no opinion on that. But I have several Ugly Sticks and they've held up well and caught me plenty of fish! They're cheap, strong and do the job. Once you have some experience under your belt, you might start looking at more specialized rods for finesse fishing. But for just starting out, you can't beat an ugly stick.
>>
>>2750930
Hare's ear nymph? That's one of my next flies. I'll probably be tying it tomorrow.
>>
Perch keep following my lure but won't bite it, wat do
>>
>>2751055
Sort of, it's a double standard. Hares ear up front, pheasant tail in the back. >>2751070
Speed up or slow down
>>
>>2751070
Rebel wee craw.
>>
>>2750755
caught a perch recently a bit smaller than that one that's whole face was fucked up from healed scars where it had been hooked. Wish I had took a picture to show the tards that claim C&R fish mostly die anyways
>>
>>2750290
I don't think it's fair for the fish if you're taking game fish. It's like shooting sitting ducks, except you're shooting fish in a barrel. Fishing for fish is fair in my opinion because it actively gives them a chance at getting away. Just like "fair chase" in hunting. Like the other anon said, too many bow "fisherman" are fucking retarded, in person and online. They are almost always ignorant of the species they target or they are very wasteful with what they harvest. Wasting fish no matter the species is not very nice.
>>
>>2751106
Can you even make carp edible? I’ve seen many videos of people trying, and failing.
>>
>>2751107
I've heard, the best way to cook carp is to place it on some cardboard and grill it. When it's done, throw away the carp and eat the cardboard...
>>
>>2750970
Nah. Kast King Sharky is the superior reel at that price point.
>>
Any reason to spend more than a sahara for a 2500 size Shimano spinning reel?
>>
>>2751141
Probably not
>>
>>2751107
Fish cakes if you're willing to put in the work. You should do like the Pollacks and stick them in clean water for a couple days if they're coming from crappy water. Otherwise just use them to grow vegetables.
>>
Is a 4000 overkill for a 7’ rod for light surf fishing? I’m thinking of getting a 2500 instead just to reduce weight.
>>
>>2751107
Gafilta fish is carp. Its also a Polish Christmas delicacy. They buy them live, throw them in a bathtub for a few days feeding them only corn to “flush” them out. They really arent bad its just that they need more work than “catch, fillet, cook.” I put them in a big aquarium and feed them mulberries.
>>
>>2751171
Depends on how light your light surf rod actually is, and what kind of fishing your doing with it, but I don't see a 4000 as "out of place "
2500 will definateky be on the small side. Maybe 3000 would suit you well. What line are you gonna put on it? Is this a bait fishing rod or are you going to be predominantly fishing lures?
>>2751175
Where's the bathtub carp pictures
>>
File: h56p7941ex881.jpg (274 KB, 960x721)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>2751202
>>
>>2751202
Stripers and flounder. Probably 30lb braid with maybe 50 yards of 10lb mono backing (I know some people dislike this but I am cheap). The 4000 I’m using now is a Daiwa BG and I love it but I feel like its overkill. My rod is ML Fast action.
>>
>>2751206
Yeah a lighter reel might benefit you then. I'm still hesitant to suggest less than a 3000 if you want 30 pound braid, and I think most 3000 reels use close to exactly150 yards of power pro (some left over if anything)
>>
File: IMG_8689.jpg (3.04 MB, 1837x4032)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB JPG
A bunch of melanin enriched gentlemen and gentlewomen left this right on the beach. They also left the heads and tails of the scup they cleaned. Ended up picking up after them and throwing the remains back into the water. Fucking hate these people so much. Theyre just sea robins, throw them back.
>>
>>2751171
4000 is probably a bit large for a 7’ rod. A 7’ rod seems a bit short for a surf rod too. Out on the west coast a 9’ light or medium light with a 3000 or 4000 is pretty common to get out to or just past the breakers for most surf species.
>>
>>2751353
>>2751217
The area I use the 7’ in doesnt even have breakers. Its so calm, the highest waves are from boats heading out to the ocean. I also fish the Jersey shore and have a 10’ surf rod for that. I’ll probably swap the 4000 to a 2500 or 3000 next time I go to the BT and see what feels better
>>
went to a local pond the other day midday just to get out and mess around, water is way high up to the treeline
i got a couple baby bluegill to hit a tiny spoon, like 1/16 or 1/8oz i forget, but they quickly lost interest
i was surprised to see a couple groups of bass and big bluegills cruising the shoreline, i figured bass would be sitting on structure because i thought they were pretty territorial
they had zero interest in my spoons and spinners
i think they were all keyed in on bugs on the surface, saw and heard a lot of splashes and there were dragonflies dropping eggs in the water all over
i might go back with a few flies and try that
>>
>>2751171
mainly depends on line. if you're using thicker mono like 10+ it's fine. if you're using thin braid mainline ten yeah it's overkill.
>>
>>2749911
#6 is as big as I'd go for bluegill. hook size depends more on the size of your bait.
>>
>>2750954
fishing is not expensive at all unless you get sucked into the consooooom mindset. easy to do though.
>>2751070
downsize
>>2751141
nope, not for freshwater
>>
The shimano spinning reel lineup is the largest collection of bullshit on the market.

Probably going to get a Miravel.
>>
>>2750954
what's your actual budget besides "cheaply"
>>
File: IMG_8700.jpg (2.33 MB, 2952x2079)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
I lost 5 Gulps. But it was worth it. He went back to his house with his fish children and his bitch fish wife.
>>
>>2751402
Talk me out of getting a tranx 400 (or 400hg). I want to replace my curado 300e for calico and for the chance that I might run into yellowtail on my kayak or want to go out or a sportboat. The curado 300e still work but it looks a bit beat up when I open it up last night and I want an upgrade eventually
>>
>>2751106
i shoot sitting ducks duck hunting all the time
>>
>>2751107
crap is one of the most widely eaten fish through the world only becuse your baby western palate can't handel picking out ybones every once in awhile and cant figure out how marinades or bleeding fish work doesn't mean its not edible
>>
I was watching a true crime video that covered this old guy who got kidnapped by some retards. He was totally fine in the end, but there was some serious retardation in the case. The old man was a retired employee of EBSCO and was very rich. In the video, the host took a moment to describe the significance of EBSCO. He stated that they were in publishing, some other stuff I forget, and hunting and fishing. I had to look them up because I never knew that EBSCO was in hunting and fishing. They own PRADCO, which manufactures and markets REBEL, YUM, Bobby Garland, Whisker Seeker, and more. I live in Iowa and know that Whisker Seeker is an Iowa company, so I am unsure how significant their ownership and involvement is in each of these companies.
>>
>>2751530
Btw. Look at how fucked up this lip is. That's not blood.
>>
File: 1706255677878.jpg (4.47 MB, 4000x3000)
4.47 MB
4.47 MB JPG
>>2751531
I'm retarded
>>
>>2750850
Today's project was Pat's rubber legs. I made 3 without beads but with .025 lead wire and 3 with 3/16 tungsten beads and .015 lead wire. All on #8 hooks 2x heavy 3x long. I tried several different techniques for attaching the legs. I finally found that I preferred to run one long piece, doubled up down the body for the antenna and tail and then three half pieces at the 2/3 point with an X wrap. For the 3 with heads, I did the antenna and tail separately. I tied on the antenna, whip finished, added the bead and then wrapped the lead wire.
>>
File: 20240704_212645.jpg (477 KB, 1665x1110)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>2751549
Whoops, forgot the picture..
>>
File: 20240704_234350.jpg (358 KB, 1658x1243)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>2751549
Hare's ear nymph. I think I used too much dubbing material.
>>
File: 20240704_234214.jpg (435 KB, 1603x1301)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>>2751572
>>
fished a spot I've always wanted to get out to by boat because never had much luck from the shore. Caught a new pb! Right as we were calling it quits too. Never gonna forget this day :D happy 4th fellas
>>
File: 20240705_002456.jpg (345 KB, 1507x1272)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>>2751573
>>2751072
Gave the double standard a try too. It seems easier and more efficient with the materials compared to the hare's ear. I followed tightlinevideo's tutorial on YouTube. Hook I'd #14 1x long 2x heavy, bead is 1/8
>>
>>2749747
Is the fly fishing not a good start for someone who haven't been fishing in his life? (I've been only watching my brother fish few times when I was younger)

I want to try fishing, I also heard about whip fishing and I'm wondering if that or fly fishing is viable for a beginner.
>>
File: 20240705_014508.jpg (451 KB, 1475x1363)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>2751579
>>
>>2751582
you can definitely start with it
even shitty form catches fish and you'll have fun
>>
>>2751551
>>2751549
I dont see any reason those wont work
>>2751572
Little too much dubbing and arguably too long tail.
>>2751573
>>2751579
>>2751583
Looks like your wire is fighting you a little bit too. Those flies should fish, oh, and look in to counter ribbing, it might help your finish and durability. Biggest thing, just keep at it, you're doing great and persistence pays off
>>
>>2751582
The biggest hiccup with fly fishing vs regular is casting. Once you can cast actually fishing isnt all that might different from regular fishing. There are limitations; mostly casting distance, and casting space.
What would you be looking to target?
>>
>>2751583
>>2751579
Actually looking closer looks like you are co uh enter ribbing. Look at videos that talk about proportions and reference points. Watch Kelly gallop tie a hares ear, itll take an hour but you'll learn a lot cause he never stops talking
>picture semi related
Matukas I tied a while ago. I think matukas look cool,I've never fished them enough to catch anything on ok me though.
>>
File: 1696212438691.jpg (17 KB, 300x168)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
What am I supposed to do to fish around the weeds/vegetation that sits on top of the water and makes it near impossible to land fish because the 1.5# bass suddenly turns into 10# of vegetation? Picrel, a pond near me has a good amount of bass and panfish but 80% of the shore is coated with this stuff. I can fish the 20% with minimal problems (just have to steer the fish to avoid the patches) but there are entire sections of the pond that are unfishable because even if you get a fish (which I have) I can't land them because there's no break in the weeds.
>>
File: 20240509_165411.jpg (2.92 MB, 4032x3024)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>2751677
Frogs and straight 40 pound braid on a casting combo.
>>
File: IMG_0582.jpg (2.94 MB, 4032x3024)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
I never had any luck with senkos. I take it all back, they are bass crack.
>>
>>2751642
Nothing really in particular, just wanna try fishing.
What is it about casting in fly fishing compared to regular? From what I remember (correct me if I wrong) in regular fishing you just cast it from behind you?
>>
My bead head leech got fucked up. The bead spins and so does the hair. Can I use super glue to fix it?
>>
I've not fished with it yet but my initial impressions with this stuff are good
>>2751684
Regular fishing you throw a heavy lure or bait and it drags a near weightless line. Fly fishing you cast a heavy line and the fly is just along for the ride.
>>
File: 20240705_140845.jpg (2.87 MB, 4032x3024)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
>>2751688
F U C K
Forgot pic
4 turn uni knots are good, as are 3 turn kreh loops.
>>
>>2751685
Superglue will help, at least for a while. Flies are consumables, though.
>>
>>2751688
I assume there will be different kinda fish I will catch with fly vs regular, or is that not a thing?
>>
>>2751694
not really, you can catch all the same types of fish with either
>>
>>2751677
Topwater frogs and a weedless weightless fluke if you want to fish across the top of vegetation. If your rod can handle it you can try punching with a heavy jig or a heavy Texas rigged soft plastic. I’m talking 1oz and up. I find straight shank flipping hooks tied with a snell knot hook up really well versus ewgs when I’m fishing heavy vegetation.
>>
>>2749747
getting my fishing license soon, any reccs for a good pole that packs down small, mostly wanting to do some river/stream fishing on hikes. new to that, previously just did some lake fishing back in the day. some good resources for learning would be appreciated too.
>>
File: 2309409893076.jpg (70 KB, 589x326)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
I've mostly fished bass so my setups are pretty heavy, the smallest I have is a light action spinning with a 2500 reel (daiwa regal). What's a good way to get started for panfishing if I fish from shore? I guess, what are the essentials you'd recommend gear/lures wise?
>>
>>2751694
Not inherently, bass, bluegill, trout, carp, musky, tarpon, snook, and most anything else that'll eat a baitfish, crustaceans, or insects can be targeted with flies.
>>2751719
#8 and/or #10 ,aberdeen hooks, small bobbers, and small splitshot are all you really need
>>
File: hnnnngg.jpg (132 KB, 785x960)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2751315
thanks for cleaning up after them.
>>
>>2751582
I would argue that fly casting is far more challenging to learn than a spinning rod and reel. If you learn to cast a fly rod, just about anything else you try later will be easier in comparison. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying it's kinda similar to learning stick before automatic in cars, if you can drive stick, automatics will be simple in comparison. And once you figure out the harder one, it's pretty easy too. So, if you're just starting out, as long as you're not easily frustrated and won't quit after having to untangle a couple knots and/or snags, learning to fly cast first might be easier than having to learn it after getting used to a spinning combo. I know I'm having to get past years of built up muscle memory from casting spinning and bait casters in order to learn to cast a fly rod. All of that said, you can get cheap ugly stick spinning combo from walmart for under $50 and you'll be happy with that for several years before you feel the need to get something more expensive. Good fly setups are expensive and I'm not sure how much harder/easier it would be to learn on an equivalent $50 fly rod...
>>
>>2751719
Rebel minnow has been the catchiest ultralight crankbait for me, sometimes they hit it before you even start reeling. Smallest hula popper is a lot of fun but I feel like the bigger panfish get scared of loud pops and you get a bunch of tiny ones nibbling.
>>
>>2751719
Mepps XD single hook model, size #0 or #1
dropshot rig using Owner Mosquito Light hooks. size #6 is perfect for 2.5" gulp minnows. you will mainly catch larger panfish specimens with that combo.
really small popper like Eurotackle Z-popper
Yo-Zuri l-minnow in the smallest size(1/8oz 1-3/8")
I take the front hook off of this. it's unnecessary on such a short lure and helps snag the bottom less.
>>
>>2751315
sea robins are good eating too...
>>
>>2751635
>>2751650
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I'll check out those videos. I'm still working on getting consistent results. I've got some that have a nice taper while others are more of a ball.... I think more practice with dubbing will help with that. I already saw improvement going from the hare's ear to the double standard. I used a lot less hair and it was much easier to get attached to the string and made much neater wraps. With the wire, I tried a couple counter wrapped, but most were the same direction as the thread. It got lost almost entirely in the dubbing of the first couple hare's ears I made. I was also struggling a little with keeping the pheasant feather together to make nice wraps on the double standard. They kept wanting to spread out too much. Maybe I need to use less strands? I was using around 8-10...around 1/8in.
>>
>>2751582
you can fish flies on a whip as well. pole fishing will be easier unless you happen to near live prime fly casting water.
>>
>>2751635
Oh, and I did try and make the tails on the double standards. I thought they were pretty long on the hare's ears, so I tried making them shorter. Should I make them even shorter?

Hmmm......yeah, I'm looking them over now. I have two that look about right, the other two are too long. I was going for about a shank length. I'll work on that too.
>>
>>2751722
>>2751739
>>2751754
Thanks, I've put an order in for these. I did have a blue fox spinner in size 1 somehow. May have inherited that one.
>>
>>2750290
I love bowfishing, but I do agree with >>2750337 and >>2750746. There are plenty of dumbasses who can’t tell the difference between a carp and a bass, let alone a carp and a buffalo.
>>
>>2751107
I tried pressure cooking carp in an Insta-Pot and it really helps with softening any bones that I missed while fileting. Then I make it into fishcakes like >>2751148.
I’ve also tried grilling carp and it tastes really good, sort of like mackerel or oily fish.
>>
Finally pulled the trigger on two Diawa Presso pack rods. Now to decide on reels.
>>
Is there like an infograph or some sort of list which goes through what all the letters mean for popular reels? I saw someone in one of these threads post a red Shimano Scorpion and wanted one and then got deluged with MGL, DC, XT etc and after figuring it out all I know is the red one I want is lightweight.
>>
>>2751814
It's all random and varies brand to brand
Most common use of the letter is for the generation of a series and the later letter of the alphabet indicates later model
>>
>>2751525
that is very unsportsmanlike and very boring. takes all the fun out of hunting ducks. do you also bait deer and sit in a blind?
>>
>>2751804
Great choice. I recommend the 6'6". I have a Daiwa Regal 2000. I think it didn't get an adequate amount of lube at the factory, since it improves after fishing for 15 minutes. I like how the Regal has the same handles across the board, unlike the Legalis, which has a fucked up handle for the 2500. It works, but that handle is annoying. My experience with Excelers is sub-optimal. Plus, why pay extra for no screw but a cap. Definitely do not buy a Fuego because they are useless for freshwater. That covers Daiwa reels. You could look into other brands as well. Good luck fishing. The Presso is a super fun rod.
>>
File: 20240706_010718.jpg (468 KB, 1334x1206)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>>2751765
I made some more pat's rubber legs today. I tried a couple lighter colors. An amber small chenille on a #8 2x heavy 3x long and a UV mottled galaxy mop chenille on a #6 2x heavy 3x long. I'm getting better at positioning the legs. These will give me some lighter patterns to contrast the darker ones I made. I'm avoiding the long weekend traffic right now, I'll head out to give some of these a try sometime early this coming week.
>>
File: 20230108_182933.jpg (2.05 MB, 3264x2448)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>2751765
>I was also struggling a little with keeping the pheasant feather together to make nice wraps
Tightline productions has technique video for that
>>2751772
I like stubby tails personally
>>2751845
Those look solid.
Consider getting wooly bugger materials, they teach a lot of good skills. Measuring tails, ribbing and counter ribbing, consistent wraps, and if you skip chenille you can use it to learn dubbing loops.
>>
>>2751843
I went with the 7’ 4pc travel version. 90% of its use will be mepps spinners and kastmasters. Hope I chose well. Looking at jp market legalis 2500.
>>
>>2751679
I was really hoping this wasn't the case. I've enjoyed using my ML because everything feels like a tank and I'm less likely to rip the hook out of mouths
>>
What's the smallest size hook you'd use for bass fly fishing? I have a Temu variety pack of flies ranging in sizes 4+ and wondering if I should get some bigger sizes for bass
>>
>>2751871
I've targeted bass with flies as small as #8
>>
>>2751856
some say the 4 piece presso travel rods are very stiff compared to the normal 2 piece. not really a true ultra-light. I can't personally say though.
>>
>>2751889
I’ve read the same thing, but the UL travel rod market is so fucked that I think I chose well given the options. Probably should have gone with the 6’6” but the model is sold out everywhere, I hope I actually get what I paid for.
>>
>>2751871
My PB largemouth (almost 5 lbs) was caught on a #10 San Juan Worm I was targeting bluegill with.
>>
>>2751892
I didn't know there was a 7 ft. It's 4 pieces, just like the 6'6, so there shouldn't be a problem. the 6 ft one is stiffer. Since you didn't get that one, I think you're in the clear.
I'm convinced e Presso travel rod haters don't know what they're talking about, since every other UL rod I've tried has been stiffer. Daiwa took forever to get my rod to my local store. I think they have a production issue.
>>
>>2751922
The other travel UL line (spinmatic?) is reported to be a noodle.
I’m looking at JP market Diawa Legalis because i_fish has a boner for it, and if it can please his ‘tism then it’s probably pretty good. It JP market also color matches the Presso rods. I’m thinking 2500 deep spool, because it’s still stupid light, and I don’t want to worry about having to cut line off when backing with a shallow 1000 spool.
>>
>>2751712
St Croix Triumph 4 piece in Medium or Medium heavy if you want to target pike or bass. Daiwa Presso 4 piece in UL for trout or panfish.

I have both.
>>
>>2751929
I have the Spinmatic. It’s reasonably slow compared to my one piece UL boat rod (a Shimano Clarus), but not exactly St Croix soft, if you know what I mean.
>>
File: 1719407192948112.png (4 KB, 600x58)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
great fucking july 4th coupon...
>>
>>2751853
I was just re-watching the hare's ear and double standard videos. They say one hook gap in length. I have been going by hook shank in length /facepalm. Lol...I'll tie some more of each to practice the dubbing and the pheasant tail wrapping. I think I see where I was messing up there too. After that, wooly buggers are next on my list. I'm a little intimidated by the number of elements that go into it. But I've done all of them. It's just a matter of putting them all into practice on one fly.
>>
Took some noobs out trolling today. They really wanted to keep reeling even though the weight was up against the guide. Not a big deal but interesting how people get fixated like that.
>>
>took apart my tranx 200 reel to clean up a bit
>Spent like 2-3 hours on it since this is the first time I open it up myself
>Realize that of the Shimano service tech probably put one of the drag plate (the metal piece that press against the drag washer) backward which causes the handle to be closer to the reel body by like 1/8 inch
No wonder the drag star felt so close to the spool tension knob after I got the reel back more than a year ago after sending away for service. Sometimes, if I tightened down the drag and loosen the spool tension, they even slightly brushed against each other when I turn the handle
>>
File: 20240707_024538.jpg (320 KB, 1228x1094)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>2752096
Top 3 are hare's ear bottom 3 are double standards. Tails are shorter, but still on the long side. It's hard getting the loop over that small bit. I'll come back to these. I'm feeling better about the dubbing.
>>
What are some good lures for trout fishing? I'm getting tired of touching worms all day
>>
>>2752225
Spinners, spoons, small jerkbaits
>>
>>2751929
the problem with the standard daiwa us spools is that they are retardedly deep. you use way too much line. I actually prefer the shallow spools or a standard shimano spool for light line. a deep 2500 spool is gonna hold a retarded amount of line. also, i_fish has some glaring faults. I agree with him on a lot of things, but he's very biased in what he likes out of a rod or reel.
>>2751929
>>2751960
some people prefer slower rods for ul, and not just for a float rod. it's all preference.
>>
>>2751871
I was targeting river smallmouth with my 4WT using a Mayer's Mini Leech Jig Radiant from Umpqua. They make them in 12, 14, and 16, and I think I was using size 14. It was my best performing fly. I caught several smallmouth despite multiple hindrances unrelated to the fly.
>>
>>2752225
Mepps spinners
tiny spoons like Johnsons
I've caught a bunch on hellgrammite soft plastics and flies. I bought some Orvis hellframmite flies a few years ago and tied them on, no weights and just tossed them and got trout on the descent
>>
>>2752225
All of the in-line spinners, kastmasters, little cleo, jerkbaits, flatfish.
>>
Anyone here like throwing streamers for river bass?
>>
>>2752234
I agree that the “regular” is best. I know that shallow is optimal, but having more than you need is nice if you need to cut a bunch off due to twist/wind knots, snags, or if your line rubs against something gnarly. Especially since this will be a pack rod, and i am not going to bring spare line. I also agree on your assessment of i_fish, but he has looked at WAY more reels that I ever could in person, he’s like the fishing nuthinfancy.
>>
>>2752225
Trout magnet jigs, inline spinners, small spoons, power bait trout worms. If you want to stick to bait, try corn, salmon eggs(real and imitation), power bait trout nuggets..
>>
File: 20240706_135419.jpg (3.15 MB, 4032x3024)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
Wheres swimbait anon?
How fucked is my setup?
>>2752096
Buggers aren't that bad
>>2752185
Those look solid though, no reason you shouldnt catch with em.
>>2752225
Flies
>>2752321
I do but I've not been doing enough of it
>>
>>2752355
I’m what some would call a streamer junkie but I’ll euro for trout but living in Texas makes that kind of a pain but bass in the rivers here are a blast. The Guadalupe bass is what I mainly target
>>
File: IMG_3193.jpg (313 KB, 1717x1290)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>2752185
Try some ice dubbing for the collar and do you use hares ear mask hair? This is a hares ear I did the other day.
>>
File: 20240503_191530.jpg (2.64 MB, 4032x3024)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>2752366
I've not done enough fly stuff this year.
>>
>>2752373
I made the switch from conventional several years ago and haven’t looked back. It’s a lot of fun, plus tying flies
>>
>>2752376
>>2752373
>>2752368
I should get back into fly fishing. I did it for a whole year with good success but got discouraged because I kept fouling up while casting. I still have a 4wt Orvis rod and reel. If I start again, should I get new backing/line/tippets? The last time I did it was in 2006.
>>
File: 20240321_074043.jpg (2.26 MB, 4032x3024)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>2752376
I tie flies and have rods from 4 to 11 weight and usually fly stuff is most of what I do I've just not really been doing it lately.
>>2752379
Backing is probably fine but your line and leaders are almost certainly shot.
>>
>>2752355
Swimbait anon here, my bad, I haven't posted in here for awhile because Vegas is literal hellfire in terms of this heat wave. That's a great set-up. Doesn't have to be a $500+ custom rod or a $400+ reel. Only word of advice is straight braid, don't backlash. It will absolutely send the lure flying away after the knot breaks. 20 pound fluoro shock leader would be a great choice for braid to leader. Absorbs that shock when you do get a backlash once in a blue moon and saves the lure.
>>
>>2752379
Definitely replace line and leader. Casting is the one thing that keeps people away. Just keep at it and you’ll get it.

The line must extend all the way backwards for it to go all the way forward.
>>
>>2752383
Solid deceiver. What do you target? I need to make it to the coast more. The hill country here though is pretty cool
>>
File: 20240707_184303.jpg (1.34 MB, 3395x1789)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>2752368
This is what I've been dubbing with. I'm using the "natural brown" at the top left. https://youtu.be/zgWQ9QsvHdo?si=YjMaSeHyJlTBMjg3
This is the pattern I've been using.
>>
File: received_795174245948577.jpg (178 KB, 2000x1500)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>2752385
>20 pound fluoro shock leader would be a great choice for braid to leader
That sounds awful light. I mean I gotta worry about esox, too, hence the wire.
>>2752391
Thanks
I go for everything really; bass, lake run rainbow trout, bluegill, carp, pike, musky, anything I can find that will eat a fly.
>>
File: 1000004587.png (250 KB, 600x600)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
What do you call these type of bucktails with the long plastic appendages? A guy was slaying redfish all morning with a relatively large orange ine
>>
File: 20240707_225553.jpg (281 KB, 991x877)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>2752185
I made my first wooly buggers. My wire wrapping is a bit sloppy. The marabou wasn't too difficult to work with. I'm getting better at the pinch wrap. My hands are just dry and the thread likes to catch on any little burr on my fingers...
>>
File: 20240708_001827.jpg (489 KB, 1264x1332)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
>>2752480
I don't have any flash. So I skipped that. I'll pick some up the next time I'm at the shop.
>>
>>2752475
if you look for redfish jig or redfish rig you'll find some similar
alternatively you could get some 90 degree jigheads and jig skirts in whatever color / material
>>
File: 20240708_011806.jpg (861 KB, 3840x2160)
861 KB
861 KB JPG
My dad got this in his stocking several Christmases ago. He never got around to doing anything with it. Since I'm just learning to tie flies myself, he gave it to me. Has anyone here put one of these together? The site on the box no longer has any reference to this item. I cannot find any videos on YouTube related to the kit. And the flies that show up when I search "all purpose nymph" results in a wide variety of flies, none of which look like this one. I'm not entirely sure what the final fly is supposed to look like. It looks like the image on the cover is before trimming off the remainder if the partridge feather. The drawing on the inside of the book only has a collar. And the instructions say to cut it off. But I can't seem to even be able to form a hackle collar with the feathers in the kit, attached how they say to attach it...
>>
File: 20240708_032824.jpg (409 KB, 1424x1186)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>2752481
Here's a different color pattern I thought would look good. I like it. My hackle is probably twice as long as it should be. I'm working from rooster necks for these. I have one black and one red. I could probably find better matches if I took the time to go through and find them. But I think this will work for now.
>>
>>2752480
>>2752481
>>2752501
Not terrible. Buggers you can usually get away with over sized hackle. Try doing two full wraps of hackle right at the front of the fly to establish a collar too.
>>
>>2752403
Aaahhhh shit, didn't know you were targeting that. Absolutely wire leader then, it'll handle a backlash. I was using 50 pound, .62mm #14 size shock leader in Thailand and snakeheads still were able to bite through it. Still can't believe that. Essox would too, definitely wire.
>>
I'm back to trying spinning after being pretty much exclusively baitcaster for 20+ years. Had my first wind knot completely sever my line mid cast (this is with braid) yesterday. That was new and unexpected. I wasn't having any trouble with twists or anything I could see until it just happened all at once. Granted my casts really suck with spinning tons of really high arcs. I just can't get the hang of the finger release. With a baitcaster I can put a lure in a 5 gallon bucket at 100 feet with no problem, with a spinning setup I'm like a child.
>>
>>2752403
My swim bait rod has a 40 lb Gliss mainline, FG knot to a 5 foot 50 lb mono shock leader, and a 1 foot wire bite leader on the end. I also mainly target large pike and muskies. The FG knot to the leader casts through the guides almost imperceptibly.
>>
>>2752517
>>2752543
I should note that big bass are still on the menue but the premiere musky fishery in the state is a town over and a lot of waters have pike and musky so I gotta be ready.
I've got a 65 pound mainline, and I'm debating about a 60 pound mono leader in front of the wire, mostly just so I hear the fg knot go through my guides and i know its time to figure 8 if my rod tip is in the water and I cant see my bait. I also went with the depth hunter line with Mark's every 5 feet so I can troll, cause some guys I know would rather troll than cast
>>
>>2752403
I need to make up north again. I need to land a pike and musky on the fly.
>>
File: IMG_3228.jpg (1.73 MB, 3024x4032)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
I don’t know much about dry flies but I do a lot of streamers and nymphs. This is one of my recent streamers
>>
File: received_668910365299041.jpg (139 KB, 1224x1632)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2752598
Esox on fly is goated
>>2752611
Looks decent. The two sections look a little heavily separated to me but I bet once its wet it slicks down and the outline smooths out.
>>
File: IMG_3216.jpg (2.9 MB, 4032x3024)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
>>2752628
Yeah, I need to mark them off the list. I know a guy in Pennsylvania that kills it and gets monsters in smaller river systems.

I use a palmer chenille for the body so it looks spars but like you said, once it gets wet is slicks down and given how fast you retrieve and current it’ll get a glide bait action and has a good profile.

Most recent bass on that fly
>>
I kinda want a real light flyrod for panfish.
>how many rods do you need anon?
all
>>
>>2752719
I just googled "20 wt flyrod" to see how many would be "all" and apparently Loomis made one for Tuna fishing lol
>>
File: 20240629_123107.jpg (4.53 MB, 4032x3024)
4.53 MB
4.53 MB JPG
>>2752719
Sounds like you need a 2, 3, or 4 weight
>>2752633
I need to do more fly stuff this year
>pic related, my last fly bass
>>
>>2752719
A glass 2wt or 3wt would be what you want for that.
>>
>>2752719
tenkara is really good for summertime panfishing, really good for working all the nooks and crannies along the bank.
>>
>>2752767
Isn't tenkara just a really really expensive cane pole with a different attachment point? I fish flies on a cheap Shakespeare 12' cane pole all the time. I don't understand why someone would pay so much money for a telescoping cane pole....
>>
>>2752771

I mean yes, with the exception of them being expensive. A lot of the chinese stuff in $20-$40 range is better than a cane pole you can pick up in a sporting goods store in the USA. Also the action of the rods make them basically sub ultralight and you can actually cast a nymph instead of cane pole where you have to use a float unless you are vertical jigging. I have no use anymore for the BnM, Mr. Crappie, etc cane poles, the japanese style rods are so much better (lighter, sensitivity, joy to use) , even if you want to do some worm and bobber fishing I would try a tenkara style.
>>
>try to fly fish for bluegill
>loose two flies
>die to the humidity
I hate WV. All the worst parts of the south with all the worst parts of the north.
>>
>>2752779
country roads started playing when i read this post
>>
>>2752779
minorities and property tax?
>>
File: IMG_8752.jpg (2.31 MB, 4030x2700)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>2752383
>>2752389
Thanks. This is how this line looks after not being used since 2006, with all that coil I guess I need a new one. Whats a decent floating line? I remember getting all Orvis stuff as a kid and it was somewhat expensive. Should I just go for that? I’m okay paying for quality but since its been so long I dont know what quality is anymore.
>>
>>2752832
I can't tell from the photo. but if you inspect it closely and see cracks / chips in the coating then just discard it and replace it if you're serious about fly fishing again.
I dug out some old gear not long ago that was probably that old, stored in an attached but unheated garage.
If you have a Cabela's near you you could take it in there and have them look at it. Or any shop that has fly fishing gear.
>>
>>2752832
Forgot to mention I had a ton of trouble casting my old line when I dug it out. It didn't help it was cold out when I went, which makes the coil worse.
A guy at Cabela's told me he sometimes ties line to two trees to get the coil out.
>>
>>2752787
We're actually ranked 7th in lowest property taxes in the country. That said the average income is pretty shit but I digress.
Mostly just the freezing winters and humid summers with bugs everywhere.
>>
>>2752836
>>2752837
I didnt see any cracks, pulled out the line to the backing and re-wound it through my fingertips and didn't feel any imperfections. I'll go to a park tomorrow and see how it feels casting. If it doesn't work I'll probably just get this
https://www.orvis.com/product/clearwater--fly-line/2ZKE.html
And 6x leader/tippet. I have a 4wt 8 foot rod, so I'm targeting trout, panfish and maybe small bass and from what I remember that was the size I used.
>>
>>2752841
Yeah that looks good I think, but I'm not in the fly fishing game anymore so maybe someone else can chime in.
>>
>>2752832
I'd say just get a scientific FG uc anglers aircel line, get a l il ne one or two lines heavier than your rod.
>>2752837
You can usually help them by 'stretching' the line which is exactly what it sounds like
>>2752841
6x is hella light, I seldom use less than 4x
>>
>>2751127
looks nice. I ended up getting a Shimano IX because it's cheap and I'm actually really pleased with it. I haven't had a single tangle in the line and I love the ergonomics of it
>>
>>2752832
As soon as that line gets I. The sun it’s gonna fall apart. If you didn’t condition your line, it’ll be dry and then the sun will finish it off.
>>
>>2750845
penn pursuit iv 4000
>>
>>2752900
Sounds good, I'll get that line and leaders/tippets in 4x.
>>
>>2752900
>>2752947
3x and 4x are solid. I use 3x for small creeks here. Targeting sunfish and smaller bass. I’ll use 6x for a micro euro/mono set up. That’s a totally different animal and rabbit hole though.
>>
File: 20240209_163005.jpg (4.77 MB, 4032x3024)
4.77 MB
4.77 MB JPG
>>2752965
I only use less than 4x when theres a "fitting the line through the eye of the hook" issue
>>
File: IMG_8758.jpg (1.93 MB, 4030x2484)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
So I went to my storage place and dug out my old fly tying materials, just like the reel/rod it hasnt been touched in close to 20 years. How good are all of the materials? I know the synthetics are probably all fine but what about the hackle, capes, deer/elk fur? They dont feel degraded at all.
>>
>>2753074
i think that stuff gets treated with preservatives, but i guess i don't know for sure
if it's too dried up / broken down you'll know when you try to tie something with it
>>
I am on a hot streak, caught my first fish on a dry fly yesterday and caught my first fish on a streamer today.
>>
>>2753074
If it hasn't been eaten by dermestid beetles, dust mites or other decomposers it should be fine.
>>
Alright guys, particularly Skid since you started me down this road. I am going to get into pinrigging for king mackerel. I now have appropriate rods, reel, pier gaff, cart, etc. Here is my question: will pic related work for an anchor? I'll be fishing off piers in the Carolinas.
>>
So can I just drive to the coast, walk onto a pier, and ask for work? I genuinely want to spend a season a fishing boat. I'm in a unique position that I can simply walk away from life generally whenever I want. I've always wanted to join a crew and get some fishing experience under my belt. Any anons with experience in this able to chime in?
>>
>>2753126
>pinrigging
I was reading into this the other day, what makes this any different in terms of presentation, besides the rods being 10+' by default, from just using a normal spinning rod? Is it just the free spool and if so, couldn't a spinning reel with the ability to go backwards accomplish the same thing (or even opening the bail and sliding the line through your fingers)
>>
>>2753160
It's all about holding the live bait in a relatively static area so it doesn't tangle. Skid posted picrel about just this topic.
>>
>>2753170
I'm a retard, I thought pinrigging was the same as centerpinning, my bad
>>
>>2753126
should do. did tw's not have any?
>>2753160
>besides the rods being 10+' by default
thats only the anchor rod, the fighting rod is usually a shorter boat rod
bait runners are worth
>>2753187
lol, lmao
centerpins do nothing a spinning rod cant the long rpod just makes settig, resetting, and managing line easier.
>>
>>2753153
Talk to the local tackle shop the uh might know of a boat looking for a greenhorn
>>
>>2753197
TW didn't have pictures or descriptions of their products on their website so I couldn't tell what I'd be ordering. It's also too long of a drive for me to go see in person any time soon.
>>
>>2753198
Sweet. Thanks, brother. I only have sailing experience but pretty shit at fishing. Good learner though, so I'm hoping they are willing.
>>
File: ZIsDe.jpg (52 KB, 800x478)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>2753292
Fair enough.
The ones I used looked like the one in the right o the picture. I believe it was galvanized wire, conduit, and lead. Cou could probably call tws and get some intel that way too.
>>
I’ve been struggling to land leopard shark in Southern California. I’ve tried morning, afternoon, evening at various tidal phases. I’ve tried various stretches of beach and harbors with varying bottom structure. Using fresh cut surf perch on a pulley rig, wading out and casting it as far as I can, the water is at least waist to chest deep where my bait lands. Let it soak for hours and no hits, not even any rays have picked up my bait. Any advice bros?
>>
>>2753408
Live bait and make sure you're near a rip
>>
>>2753153

I have no experience myself but I watch / read a lot of content from people who fish for a living and yes they still talk about just hanging around the dock and getting work that way. If you have experience sailing or boating as part of team I think that would give you a big up. As a deckhand you wouldn't be making any crucial decisions just performing grunt work, so lack of fishing experience wouldn't be a big deal. Day boats will still give rando's a chance.

You can also gain experience by paying your way. People are always looking to split the cost for trips. If you hook up with a decent captain you learn the basic skills to mate on a variety of operations. There is a lot of opportunity, you have charters, headboats, private yachts, and a myriad of straight up commercial fisheries.
>>
>>2753126
heres my weights ant peir gaff
>>
>>2753498
>>2753404
>>2753292
>>2753197
>>2753126
galvanized or stainless steel wire, conduit tube, and lead. the wires are bent up in to a full U shape. wing it, point your whole rod straight down as far as possible, snag it in to the sand. i like to free spool a little line after and lean the rod fairly low against the railing with a little bit of slack. not blowing away, but not guitar string tight, that gives the current a chance to start to bury it. while that's going i set up my fighting rod, it had a 50 pound mono mainline of about 50 yards and a 100 pound leader. admittedly a little heavy but i felt id rather be overgunned than undergunned. to that i attatched a big fuckoff snap swivel, 200 pound breaking strength i think. then for my leader i'd either use a commercial one, or eventually i started making my own. the ones i made were probably 4-6 feet of single strand wire with a big fuck off barrel swivel on one end, and a couple treble hooks on the other. two or three treble hooks were daisy chained along with a 4 to 8 inch spacing depending on number of hooks and length to bait. a 3 hook 12 inch rig is huge, but thats what you want if you're going to be presenting an 16 inch live spanish mackerel. 8-10 inches and 2 hooks for 12-14 inch bluefish was what i usually had prepared, though. clip the snap to the swivel, and put your quick release through one of the eyes of the barrel swivel. i usually did the bottom hole on the top swivel (the same ring that the snap is affixed to) so the snap dangles free and the second swivel can spin freely. id then let more slack from the anchor rod, and leave my fighting rod in position to bait. the anchor line is slack and the quick release and swivels dangle near the tip of the fighting rod, and the far back treble is neatly hooked on something stationary close by- either the pier its self, or an eye guide of a rod, or similar. go catch a bluefish, or snag a bunker, or anything you can if the fishing is tough.
>>
>>2753504
>>2753498
bring the live fish to the waiting pin rig. promptly hook it with the first trebelhook (closest to the swivel) close behind the head. size up the second hook so that there is a little slack and the baitfish can move freely. pin the hook in to the fish so the point and bend of the hook are buried in the back of the fish. you want the hook shank running paralell to the fish, with two of its points sticking up and out. applicably, if there is a third hook, if it lines up such that it can be reasonably hooked in to the bait, go ahead and put it in, this time completely bur. if it dangles freely to the tail fin or even past, letting it hang free is a common option. if the bait is big enogh to hook in the same maner as the second hook, with the third hook, do so. there shouldnt be any tension or excessive slack when the fish is straight, and as it bends to swim it should be able to do so freely without creating tension.
if a bait is too lively it can be 'doctored up' by trimming fins, cutting tails off entirely, or otherwise butchering the fish. if a fish dies and bait is scarce, butterflying it is a great option. you fillet from the tail towards the head, both sides, so that the fillets are dangling free but still firmly attatched on both sides. hook it just as you would if it were alive, on the piece with the spine, and send it back out. the thin slices of meat with bone removed should flutter some in the current, and the exposed flesh will put the scent of blood in the water.
>>
>>2753506
>>2753504
>>2753498
0nce the bait is rigged, gently lower it until it comes to tension with the quick release pin. dropping or otherwise yanking or jerking on it could cause it to release prematurely. reel in the slack on your anchor rod until the rod bends deeply and the line sings in the wind, and freespool your fighting rod. manage backlash with one thumb while jiggling spine of the anchor rod to bounce and shake the fish out away from the pier. once its in the water, start fishing. you want the fish to be in the water, and the quick release to be well out of the water. dont put both under water, itll get tangled by the fish swimming around your anchor line.
turn your clicker on and go do something else waiting to hear *bloosh* *ziiiiiiiiiiiiiing* if you've got a bite you'll be well aware. dont staand right on top of it waiting for it to get eaten, but if you're 100 feet away you're probably a little bit too far away unless you've got someone to 'keep an eye on it' for you. that can get awkward if "who gets to reel it in" turns in to a disagreement though. either way landing the fish is a two man operation. one fights the fish, then another gaffs the fish. once the fish is gaffed, sometimes double-gaffed depending on size- it is pulled up to the pier where the gills and tail are sliced to bleed the fish. this is also a good time to brain it.
while you're waiting on blood to drain is a good time to reset your rig. depending on abundance of bait that could be anything from merely staging the leader and rod for bait with a fresh quick release, to fully baiting and re-setting the whole rig. the fish is usually processed on the pier, and i always offered some of the meat to whoever helped me gaff it- there was usually plenty to go around. put the meat in a cooler. also you'll want a cooler, something with wheels, and plenty of ice and water. beer, soda, snacks, and todays catch are also common things to find in coolers.
>>
File: shork2.jpg (76 KB, 540x960)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>2753510
>>2753506
>>2753504
>>2753498
and come the end of the day, fish or no, unsetting the rig is an inevitability.
reel your bait up and let slack out of your anchor rod as needed to get access to your quick release. grab the quick release and remove it from both lines. take your bait off your hooks, remove the leader from the snap, stow it and your quick release for tomorow. go get your anchor rod, and pull your weight. the technique i see used most is pointing the rod near straight up and then walking straight back, grabbing the spool with the drag locked to rip it out of the sand. when you get your weight back, it usually has all 4 wires bent down, and always has at least two bent. there seemed to be a mix of ways the anchor weight was managed. some would leave it attatched to their anchor rod, bend the prongs back, and then hook it to their anchor rod like a fish hook, others would fully remove it and stow it, often by hanging it on something.
heres a 62 pound bullshark i caught pin rigging with a live spot some years ago
>>
File: shork.jpg (721 KB, 2048x1350)
721 KB
721 KB JPG
>>2753513
>inb4 mindlessly killing sharks
i was originally planning on walking it to the beach to release it, but it didn't wind up working out, and once it was clear the fish wouldn't survive regardless, it was gaffed.
>>
>>2753514
Ty for your very informative posts. What state are you in?
>>
>>2749747
Bros, there's a dock near my apt full of little 1.5-3ft black tips that are always cruising along the surface. I want to get some big pinfish on a circle hook and toss them down there. My question is, would 100lb mono work or should I get some wire for a leader? I've never caught any dinker sharks like this so I don't know what I can get away with or how line-shy they might be. Any advice would be great
>>
>>2753563
i did my pin rigging on the avalon pier, but currently live in ohio. the shark pictures are years old at this point, i still have a full pin rigging setup though
>>
>>2753564
>would 100lb mono work
no
>should I get some wire for a leader
yes
they're pretty dumb as long as you put food in front of them they should be interested. they might prefer cut bait for ease of chase down but if you put it weightless 10 feet in front of them they should be willing to come have a look. especially if you chum a little and get em worked up.
>>
>>2753496
Thanks so much for your input. I am prior navy and did two deployments plus I was in a sailing club. Won't transfer perfectly to one of these boats, but at least I have some background. I'm gonna do it. Can't wait, seriously this is gonna be fun.
>>
My mom introduced me to a girl from her workplace. We talked for a bit week ago, and I just sent her a text inviting her for a first date to fish at the lake
Am I retarded, or gigachad? or both?
>>
>>2753626
if she catches a bigger fish than you, would you feel proud and tell everyone or embarrassed?
>>
File: 20240710_232945.jpg (275 KB, 1323x1105)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>2752501
Today's project is the elk hair caddis fly. I'll be taking these and the rest of the flies I've been tying out to the river tomorrow morning to try them out. Shouldn't be very busy at the river park on a Thursday morning...knock on wood...
>>
File: 20240711_001712.jpg (305 KB, 1194x1040)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>2753657
>>
File: 20240711_002138.jpg (854 KB, 1269x2210)
854 KB
854 KB JPG
>>2753660
>>
>>2753657
Looks good. I like to cut the butts off the hair before tie in, It makes a tidy head, bug the fish dkng care.
>>2753661
Your box is coming along nicely.
>>
>>2753476
When rigging live bait do you prefer through the mouth and out the gill flap, or just under the spine? This is the rig I’m currently using. I’ve tried two smaller cut chunks on each hook as well as a whole fish rigged with one through the nose and one set in the spine of the fish wrapped up with bait elastic. It casts much better than a Carolina rig from shore
>>
>>2753871
>>
>>2753871
>>2753872
I usually do just above the spine behind the dorsal fin but through the nose or mouth works too. It's all personal preference.
Bridled through the nose is the a tier way to do it but you'll need rigging floss and a bait needle to do that.
>>
>>2753661
No luck this morning, but it was a beautiful day. Only one fly came apart, it was one of the gnats. The back end of the hackle came loose. Otherwise they all held up well.
>>2753688

So....here's a question, in regards to fly casting. Sometimes I get a nice roll out, but most of the time, it's like the line hits a wall and it all stops at one point. What am I likely doing wrong?
>>
Why do so many spinning reels no longer have a hinge on the handle? The hinge makes it so much easier to pack.
>>
File: 3215 (3).jpg (310 KB, 2048x1022)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>
>>2753924
extra joint to create loose tolerance which people bitch about
>>
>>2753871
I either go through the nose or in the back just between the dorsal fin and the head. I mostly go through the nose but if the bait is a bit too big or too small, I go for the back. If you go for the back, don't go too low and deeo into the body or you gonna hit something vital and kill your hair fish quickly. Just catch enough of the flesh and leave plenty of your hook exposed. The skin of fishes are actually even tough and along with the upper spine will hold your hook in place.
My only issue recently is the hook foulhooking the bait itself. I'm trying to figure out a quick and easy solution.
>>
File: IMG_8778.jpg (174 KB, 1290x1917)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Is 13 Fishing a good brand? I’m mirin’ the colors on this reel.
>>
>>2754005
At that price, I would rather get the Shimano slx
Tackledirect has SLX/clarus rod combo on sale right now if you are looking for a very solid entry level baitcaster combo
>>
>protip
Get a “wrong handed” baitcaster so you don’t have to switch hands twice every cast. This post will trigger people, but I’m right and they know it.
>>
>>2754014
I have multiple baitcasters, I just like oddly colored reels. If its a cheap piece of shit I won’t get it but if it’s decent I’d buy it just for the colors scheme.
>>
File: IMG_8431.jpg (78 KB, 681x805)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2754018
What do you mean by “wrong hand” I reel left with spinner and left with casting isnt that what everyone does
>>
>>2754021
NTA.....Most right handed people will buy the right handed model by default. In order to reel with your left hand you need to buy the left handed model...the "wrong hand" if you're right handed. It's all a matter of preference. I'm right handed, all of my bait casters are left handers.
>>
>>2754021
No, most right handlers reel right hand and juggle the rod with every cast like a smoothbrain.
>>
>>2754018
I'm right handed but I just cast with my left hand and reel with my right
>>
>>2754023
>>2754024
That sounds so weird, I’m a righty and feel like I need my right hand to be in control of the rod/baitcasting spool while my left is just for reeling on both. Having to keep switching seems so weird. Is it like a “the reel is upside down so it works” kind of mindset?
>>
>Keep a spool of fluorocarbon in box for leaders
>Spool breaks on the side and spills line off
>Try to salvage this by taking all the line off but now it's all bunched together and pulling either end only gets 5-10 yards before it knots
Is it over? Should I cut my losses and throw it away?
>>
>>2754035
Just cut off the 5-10 yard pieces, loop them and secure the ends, toss in sandwich bags. If you keep cutting off pieces you should be able to salvage most except for whats been kinked.
>>
The only time I use right hand is when salmon fishing from downriggers. Coho always will run straight at you and try to spit your barbless hooks, so I like to reel like a madcunt with my strong hand.
>>
>>2754032
It's a design carry over from larger fishing reels, where you want your dominant hand to provide the power to reel in a large fish.

I also need the rod in my right hand to offer any kind of finesse.
>>
>>2754038
I like that idea. I typically don't use any swivels/snaps for leaders, just uni to uni knots, so I could cut sections and then keep a few in a sandwich bag to use when needed, though I'm not sure how to prevent them from tangling into one another and keeping the ends in an easy to grab spot. Alternatively, I only run 10lb braid, I could probably get away with no leader
>>
File: IMG_8783.jpg (1.56 MB, 4032x3024)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>2754046
I dont have leaders near me but I just do this, roll them and then wrap the last few inches around the loop to secure them, they only tangle if I have snaps or swivels on the end.
>>
I pull ticks and leeches off my skin nearly every day. Just wondering why /out/ seems to be so paranoid and gay about it
>>
The guides are actually pretty good as a beginner. Nice job.
>>
File: 55498.jpg (86 KB, 960x712)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2754005
cheap china shit but does work.
>>
File: 1717017794811738.jpg (44 KB, 454x722)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2754046
i suggest something like pic related, $1.50 for 50 on amazon for me right now
you might want a slightly larger size depending on what diameter line and how long a leader you're putting in them
if you fish in strong wind or in the surf you might want a proper leader wallet like fly fishermen use, these are pretty easy to drop and lose
sandwich bags are fine too but a bit big for one leader and i wouldn't recommend trying to put multiple coiled leaders in one bag; they'll just end up tangled together
>>
>>2750734
Based
>>
>>2754018
>so lazy he can't switch hands
>doesn't understand why your dominate hand is used for reeling
DINK FISHERMAN SPOTTED
>>
>>2754115
>t.
>>
>>2754115
There is no reason why the dominant hand needs to reel. Reeling is a simply motion. You should have enough strength in your non-dominant hand to reel. The dominant hand is not there for just strength, but rather enhanced motor skill and dexterity, which can help cast/control rod while leveling the line at the same time
>>
offhand is always used for reeling
dominant hand for full control of bait action with rod and control of fish via rod
drag handles any issues with weight of fish so fine motor control of reeling isn't necessary
i don't care about saltwater fishing
don't bother replying
>>
My Scooby Doo rod had the handle on the right side so all my reels have the handle on the right side
>>
File: IMG_20240711_200123_522.jpg (212 KB, 721x1280)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>2753900
So you make a cast and it winds up piled on top of its self?
That could be a couple things
>open loop
Th rrf increased wind resistance of an open loop can cause your cast to run out of gas and wind up piling on top of its self
>poor energy transfer
If the rod doesnt properly and efficiently transfer energy to the line the cast will run out of gas on it's way to the destination, collapsing the loop an DC piling it on top of its self
>wind
If you're casting in to wind your line will run out of energy faster. Even a tight loop with good energy transfer collapses in wind if pushed too far.
>leader taper
If a leader isnt stout enough it wont turn over nicely. One of the reasons I like my heavy leaders is the extra mass and stiffness gives it more power turning over it's hard to throw a #12 hares ear on a 7.5 foot 2x leader and not turn it over. That said, you should be able to cast a #12 dry fly on 4x just fine.

Bottom line is the two hardest things about fly fishing are casting and getting deep without snagging. They're both as much art as science, just keep practicing. Also if you know anywhere with sunfish they can be a great confidence boost, and sometimes you can double up with dry/dropper rigs.
>pic unrelated, a 13 inch bullhead I caught
>>
File: 20240706_120255.jpg (2.47 MB, 4000x3000)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
Why does it look like there's gold in the lake I went fishing at?
>>
File: 20240706_120308.jpg (4.6 MB, 4000x3000)
4.6 MB
4.6 MB JPG
>>2754199
>>
>>2754199
Are you in the sierras? It's probably just pyrite
>>
>>2754204
It probably is otherwise people would be panning it. It looks nice though. It's relaxing to watch the waves move it around.
>>
File: IMG_2076.jpg (1.78 MB, 3024x3994)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
Been fishing in Central Park lately
Lot of catfish and a few carp
>>
>>2754115
I only use dominant hand to reel salmon on barbless hooks. Get good.
>>
>>2754211
Hey my cousin got murdered there last year
>>
>>2754211
>>2754231
I live 15 minutes from the Jersey side of the Bridge and I have never been to Central Park, I watch too much Law and Order. I will, however, eat the fuck out of Manhattan street food. That shit is delicious.
>>
>>2754132
>no reason
Baitcasters were first made for saltwater applications where the dominate hand was needed to overpower the locked up reels and/or for better dexterity when backing reels off when there wasn't a drag system in the first place. Learn your fishing history, actually get good, and please shut the fuck up dunny kruger dink fisherman.
>>
>>2754244
Chill out grandpa. None of that is applicable for more than a decade
There is no reason to reel with your dominant hand anymore.
Your non-dominant hand shouldn't be so weak that it has difficulty turning some handle lmao.
>>
>>2754244
So explain why I should use my dominant hand to reel on a modern baitcaster? I would much rather use it for my rod, so I can set a hook more accurately and feel the movement of my lure in relation to the surrounding water/seafloor and use my dominant thumb to hold the spool. Its much more efficient to do that and reel with my left, non-dominant hand.
>>
There was a time when you wanted the dominant hand on the reel. That time has long since passed, along with most o ggv the boomers who did it that way. Anyone who insists the dominant hand should be reeling is running on outdated intel.
>inb4 saltwater big game
Lefties are forced to reel right handed and still catch fish. Dominant hand retrieve is painfully old school and contemporary angling should abandon it.

>>2754248
>for more than a decade
Longer than that, several decades at this point.
>>2754252
Dominant hand on the rod is preferable, especially with big fish. Do you arm wrestle with your off hand or your dominant hand? If you said dominant hand, that's the one that should be holing your rod for maximum power.
>>
>>2754322
>Dominant hand on the rod is preferable, especially with big fish. Do you arm wrestle with your off hand or your dominant hand? If you said dominant hand, that's the one that should be holing your rod for maximum power.

Yeah, thats what I do, my dominant hand is always on the rod, I was wondering why that guy said I should use it to reel in when its easier to use my left.
>>
>>2754324
Because hes a troll, or a retard, or I dinosaur, or probably all 3
>>
>>2754199
pyrite, fools gold, it's all over the river and creek beds I fish in norcal.
>>
>>2754168
I've been using 5x leader. It's what came on the rod. I just swapped it out for 5x Rio I bought yesterday. The Rio is definitely better quality and also stronger than what came with it. I broke a foot off of the fine end of the first leader while trying to straighten it. The Rio had no such problem and it feels nicer. That said, I was having better luck getting heavier flies, like the #6&8 rubber legs and wooly buggers than the #14 dry flies. Although I was still having the same problem. I'll try a 3x next time I'm out, it's the largest I have currently. I'll pick up some 2x next time I'm at the store. I'm sure I have open loops and poor energy transfer too. But I'm getting better casts more frequently. I'll keep at it.

>Also if you know anywhere with sunfish they can be a great confidence boost
They're my go to if I'm feeling like I'm just a terrible fisherman :) Since I was a kid, the worse my fishing day went, the smaller my hook got and the closer to shore I fished....that's where the bluegull were and I knew I could catch those. They're not as plentiful here(noircal) as where I grew(north carolina) but they're still here and I still love catching them.
>>
>>2754244

totally false. reels were long used before any one casted from one or reeled a fish in on one. they were just line holders for rich dudes.
>>
>>2754322
nta but saltwater big game is precisely why he has a point or any big game fish fishing for that matter, having your dominant hand on the rod is a moot point when you already have leverage elsewhere aiding you, such as the rod tucked to your side and for the reason why lefties are still able to use right-handed reels and are able to still land fish is because of modern day drags and what not

sorry guys, but that guy is correct 100%, even with modern tackle, when your reel gets locked up on a big game fish, you want your dominant hand to be on the reel, not your off-hand that's scientifically going to be less strong
>>
File: cope.jpg (47 KB, 829x295)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2754368
>U NEED TO USE YOUR REEL AS A WINCH

you really don't lmao
>>
>>2754375
That's such a stupid thing to bring up that I shouldn't even bother replying, but here's a (you) anyway.
>>
>>2754368
Dude I've gone marlin fishing and we reel left hand all the time, you use the harness to hold the rod end, lift up the rod and reel in as you let the rod return to a bowing position, a wee babby could do it.
>>
>>2754377

before braid became standard people used to catch 50 lb bass on montuak on 8 lb mono. You think you can just crank down on your reel like a Neanderthal and not break off ? Those stupid nfl linebackers fishing for goliath grouper on youtube aren't something you should emulate, its retardation.
>>
Stop feeding the troll....
>>
File: 1696994422631.jpg (129 KB, 1600x900)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
I reel with my dominant hand because it feels better
>>
Both my hands are dominant (I'm ambidextrous).
>>
i retrieve fish by wrapping the line around my rock hard 2500 series dick
>>
>>2754378
Yeah, I understand. I'm just arguing for an extremely specific circumstance that shouldn't really happen in modern day; I'm being pedantic here.
>>2754379
Oh yeah, I know, trust me. Again I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point like I stated above. This is only the case in very specific circumstances, but I've had it happen to me more than a handful of times.

Truth be told this is due to modern reels having insanely stupid high speed ratios, basically nullifying the torque advantage you would get normally with the correct reel.
>>
File: 5MyFkRQZ3eRz.jpg (102 KB, 750x745)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>2754252
im butting into this convo to offer my unsolicited and unwanted advice: use whichever hands allow you to cast accurately, set a hook timely, jig the bait effectively, and reel the fish in. and dont listen to anyone who tells you otherwise, but also dont be afraid to trying something new that may work better than what youre used to
>>
don't keep your drinks and fish in the same fucking cooler
>>
>>2754436
Are you saying that a little bit of slough shark slime will put you off of your stevewieser?

JK, we don't keep drinks in the catch box so that people aren't opening it every 5 minutes and melting the ice.
>>
File: IMG_0028.png (654 KB, 692x600)
654 KB
654 KB PNG
>>2753626
>assuming rural

just catch a fish and it'll work out bro
>>
>>2753948
giggin' alone at the bottom of the hill
>>
File: 1701040550160697.png (321 KB, 496x860)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
>>2750337
this applies to so much
>>
File: 1000007458.jpg (3.39 MB, 3000x4000)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
My popups aren't here from AliExpress yet so I improvised. carp won't know what hit em tomorrow bros
>>
File: 478900513012.jpg (695 KB, 1440x1440)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
>>2754211
hello from LA fellow degenerate urban angler
>>
>>2754494
not even three eyes
>>
>FRESH BREAD!!!
>>2754501
>>2754501
>>2754501
>>2754501

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.