[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_4632.jpg (1.15 MB, 1200x813)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
Everybody wants their own private cabin in remote Alaska, I have actually reached the point in life where I can actually do this, and I want to do it right. I want to minimize potential design flaws and reduce maintenance needs. What design considerations should I think about including in my design in order to make it optimal? Ex. Sloped roof to shed snow in winters, type of foundation, basement?, insulation in the walls?, etc etc. I am looking for inspiration here, so feel free to post pictures of what you like or tell me what you would do and explain why.

It will not be so remote that it is inaccessible by my 4WD in winter, I have a snow plow to maintain my road already. I purchased the land specifically because it is secluded with no nearby neighbors, but close enough to a small town with a grocery store so I don’t need to go on a absolute road trip just to get food.
>>
>>2751117
Also, Most of the property is wooded, so I have plenty of lumber to use, but I am not so cheap that I need to fill in the gaps with mud or anything, I have plenty of money to spend on proper modern roofing and cement for foundation and I have the means to get the materials out there
>>
Really depends on what you want to do with it. If you have kids or a wife, or even a girlfriend, you'll need to consider increasing the square footage for each occupant. Furthermore, how much stuff you want: power system, food, bathroom, etc.

For solo, I suggest you look into Mountain Mariner Off-Grid Alaska on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MountainMarinerOffGridAlaska

Here are some other people on YouTube that go in depth on designing and building their cabin:
https://www.youtube.com/@wildhomestead
https://www.youtube.com/@KYLESCABIN/videos
https://www.youtube.com/@MatthiasCabinChronicles
>>
>>2751117
I'd be more worried about some sort of crops / livestock so you dont have to eat beans for the rest of your life.
>>
File: IdealCabin1.jpg (872 KB, 1918x1080)
872 KB
872 KB JPG
>>2751117
Pick log style.
>Saddle notch / triangle notch
>Butt and Pass
>Corner Post
>Dovetail

Notches & dovetails are lovely but they're time consuming and not really necessary anymore. A butt & pass cabin is secured with re-bar pounded into drilled holes, it's plenty strong. Corner post cabins are probably the easiest and are toe-nailed together.

Figure out the height of the structure you want. People love tall ceilings. But this is actually a bit shit. Harder to build, harder to heat. Old fashioned trapper cabins like the one Proenneke built have standing height along the ridge pole, but can be well below standing height on the sides. It makes for a squat structure that's easy to heat. Trapper cabins also had a mild roof angle. It's easier to work on. Proenneke's cabin had a very shallow angle and it's still around.

For floors, trapper cabins have a gravel floor, with the logs sitting on rocks/gravel which is fairly deep so no rain gets sucked up into the wood. Nowadays a lot of people will pour a concrete slab to build their log cabin on. It simplifies things a lot, the concrete can be sealed and look really nice, and supposedly this really really helps with rodent/pest control versus all other floor/foundation types.

Another thing to think about is extending the eaves. Some Scandinavian cabins that are meant to receive very sparse maintenance have huge eaves. This means their actual logs basically never get wet. It increases the longevity of the structure. You can keep a log cabin from rotting by spraying it down with diluted bleach every year, this kills any mold/fungus that's starting to grow on the logs. But having large eaves helps as well and further reduces the likelihood of the logs rotting.

My ideal cabin would probably be Butt & Pass, with a concrete floor, but otherwise would look like pic attached.
>>
>>2751224
>crops in alaska
>>
>>2751117
You can order a copy of Dick’s journals from the Alaskan national park service and just read what he did start with the early years. Do what dick did.
>>
>>2751272
No one wants to sit in your cabin reading filthy dick journals you fucking pervert
>>
>>2751294
You’re acting like anyone I keep there has a choice.
>>
>>2751117
>What design considerations
If you are not going to be there 365 ( or even if you are) just make sure the thing is critter proof. Avoid any space underneath the cabin. I bought a 40 year old cabin that had a lot of deferred maintenance and lack of attention and it had critters everywhere. Marmots living underneath squirrels living in the eaves, mice and shrews inside, birds, nesting in the walls, etc…. The marmot in particular are brutal, they burrow under the cabin and nest down there.
>>
>>2751249
You can actually grow a lot in Alaska depending on you location within the state and whether you have a greenhouse or not. I.E. potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, etc.
>>
>>2751223
>>2751230
>>2751272
>>2751343
thanks for the good input, these seem like good starts
>>
>>2751460
>>
>>2751474
He started this journey at 50. It’s never too late men.
>>
Best list I could easily google and some may have been flown in later but here’s Dick’s tool list.
- Double bit axe
- Augers
- Chisel (2)
- Wood gauge
- Bow saw
- Files
- Folding knife
- Drawknife
- Pencil
- Adze
- Combination square
- Vise grip pliers
- Hammer
- Pry bar
- Crosscut saw (small and large)
- Nails
- Carpenter’s hatchet
- Rip saw
- Small plane
- Large plane
- Shovel
- Keyhole saw (?)
- Splitting maul
- Bricklaying trowel
- Felling axe
- Maul (salfmade out of wood)
- Snow shovel
- Paint brush
>>
>>2751472
Greenhouses don't enable you to grow in space, it is the access to carbon dioxide and regulated temperature that do.

And like I said, it is mostly dependent on where you live in the state. Prudhoe Bay and Anchorage have completely different growing conditions. Not just temperature but soil quality are important considerations.

Next time read carefully before debating.
>>
>>2751480
No no I know it’s just a question of if the saw in the video was a keyhole saw or possibly a modified hacksaw blade. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-4NxJRxNQ
Some comfy watching.
>>
>>2751482
Here’s a nice map from
>>2751474
Dick gave up hunting and was mostly a vegetarian but he did rely on regular supply shipments. It wasn’t like he was completely cutoff.
>>
>>2751495
His neighbor.
>>
>>2751475
He was in shape at 50. Most of /out/ are out of shape in their 20s.
>>
>>2751510
>He was in shape at 50.
He also had improved his eye sight by moving to Alaska.
How hard would it be really when he had all his supplies flown in regularly for 30 years?
Sounds like a long vacation to me.
>>
>>2751482
Alaska is known for producing giant fruits and vegetables due to its far north location, fertile soil, and long summer days. Some of the largest vegetables in the world are grown in Alaska
>>
>>2752248
I would destroy that fucking cabbage
>>
>>2753551
kek

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.