[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sailin.gif (499 KB, 500x281)
499 KB
499 KB GIF
Hull speed edition
>>
>>2751529
theres something about small clinker style double enders that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. it must be some long lost western euro genetic memory or something
>>
>>2751529
Dinghy sailing best sailing
>>
>>2751545
look at how cool and simple this is
>>2751548
agreed but not racing just taking it easy
>>
how do i get sailing friends? do i just go to a local sailing club and see if anyone is willing to take me with them? i have very little experience sailing though
>>
>>2751993
personally i feel sailing with other people is exhausting. i specifically got a boat to get away from humanity
>>
I'm in the market for a powered boat around the 50k mark that can be used for fishing at sea. I live around the San juans. Any pointers?
>>
>>2751993
>do i just go to a local sailing club and see if anyone is willing to take me with them?
That's a good way, most sailing/yacht clubs have crew or social memberships. A good way to get on a racing boat is to go to a social event at a yacht club. If you don't want to be a member, you can still ask if there's a crew registry that you can join and you might get a call.
>i have very little experience
Usually not a problem for club racing, but of course experience helps. You can do a bit of homework to help your case. Most skippers are very non-committal until they can get a sense of you. i.e.
- Do you know which way to wrap a winch?
- How much coaching do you need on trim?
- Can you anticipate what needs to be done?
- Do you know the racing rules of sailing (e.g. right of way, start signals, etc).
>>
File: PXL_20240706_182901855.MP.jpg (1.3 MB, 4080x3072)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>2751548
It's a lot of fun, for sure.
>>
File: 1712311778188360.png (806 KB, 584x1148)
806 KB
806 KB PNG
This is the bow on the 1970s 20 ft sailboat I bought and I'm new to all of this. Where's the line supposed to go when I lower my anchor? And do I want to install an anchor roller if my anchor weighs 9kg/20lbs and the line is 10m/30ft chain and the rest rope? Do I even need to use a bridle if everything past 30ft is nylon rope? And what about anchor lockers, should I go through the trouble of adding a hole through the deck to be able to feed the rode into my anchor locker, add a fiberglass floor and an internal watertight hatch for it and a thru-hull above the waterline for drainage? I'm planning to do long distance cruising if it matters. Is it worth the hassle in my case? Seems like it would be awful easy to just lash the anchor to the railing and keep it connected to the rode and stuff that in a bag on the bow railing unless I'm offshore at which point I'd just keep everything inside the boat.

Tried to google and youtube this but everyone's just talking about their winches and anchor rollers.
>>
>>2753593
How did the previous owner anchor? Did you ask them? I'd say you probably want to anchor on the centerline, so you should have a system to distribute the load from the rode to some kind of bridle: a sling or line that goes through both fairleads and then to the cleat. You'd probably need anti-chafe on however you're attaching the rode to the bridle. Also it's wild that you only have one cleat there. Also it's wild that you have no windlass, no spurling pipe etc. Letting out and pulling in chain by hand and lifting the chain out of the forepeak by hand sounds like a nightmare, and you will not want the chain and rode on the deck fouling the jib, lines and risking losing your ground tackle altogether.
>I'm planning to do long distance cruising if it matters
If I were you, I would install two bow cleats, a bow roller, a hand windlass and spurling pipe to a chain locker in the forepeak.
>>
>>2753593
>>2754054
You know what, maybe I'm full of shit, for a small boat like that it is probably better to just hand bomb it, but if you're cruising make sure you oversize your anchor and chain, and I would recommend a bridle to allow you to anchor along the centerline. Don't use the bow pulpit for anchoring. The only concern would be if that one cleat can take the stress in swell and winds. Everything else is just for convenience. Try it out and see how it works for you.
>>
>>2751529
Idk where else to ask this and /out/ was my last hope and this thread is probably the most appropriate.

I used to make monkeys fists when I was a kid and I would use the ball out of those old 90s computer mice. The weight and size of them was perfect to me, it made for a perfect monkeys fist.
I got some rope and paradors and I want to make some more but I can no longer find those mice with the balls and idk what the size even was. Does anyone have any idea at all what a decent alternative would be other than steel ball bearings? I want it heavy.
>>
>>2754582
you can probably still find ball mice at electronics recyclers. hell i get them back every now and then in the return bin at my office (i work in IT)
>>
File: 1704584507090733.png (2.03 MB, 982x1608)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB PNG
>>2754054
>>2754067
Thanks for the tips. I probably want to go all stainless chain, double cleats on the sides, chain locker and bridle if I get serious about this but I'm thinking about continuing with the current setup for a while and just adding some kind of metal plate to the front of the bow like the illustration in the bottom of pic. With such a thing I could a) stop the nylon rope from chafing against the rough gelcoat at the tip of the bow and b) have a way of keeping the line from side loading the bow pulpit. And in the future I could weld a roller to the top of the plate and also just add a spurling pipe maybe like pic. You can also see the bottom of the forestay and the cleat. Do people usually add some kind of reinforcement like a metal plate under the cleat?
>>
>>2754599
>metal plate to the front of the bow like the illustration
Yea, this is a good idea.
>Do people usually add some kind of reinforcement like a metal plate under the cleat
Yes, there should be a solid metal backing plate for something like that. If you have a cored deck, the core should be removed from around the bolt hole by more than the diameter of bolt and sealed with epoxy then re-drilled for the bolt. Everything needs to be sealed as well.
>>
>>2753593
Been decades since I sailed. I had an oDay 22, so it's probably pretty similar to whatever you have. Last thing you wanna do is start knocking holes in a boat, so forget about a locker. You'll be selling it in a few years anyway, because you'll eventually figure out what you actually want...so no point in changing anything.

Anchor ties off on center cleat, feeds overboard through that split eye on either side of the bow. It doesn't run straight forward as it will chafe on the guy wire mount for the mast and sail. It's a small boat, you don't need much and you'll be anchoring in shallow water on calm sunny days. It's assumed that you'd just keep the anchor below deck, because it's a "daysailer". 50 feet of rope and a danforth anchor is all you'll probably need.
>>
>>2754582
Check you're local laws. Having something inside the monkey fist is considered an illegal weapon in more places than it should be. Otherwise just go to a hobbylobby and get wood balls.
>>
I fucked up today, bought a Holder Dinghy & was going to take it out today 1st time by myself... didn’t take the stays down in the right order and the mast unexpectedly fell to 10 o’clock breaking the tabernacle from the boat. Do I need to redrilll 3 new holes in the fiberglass or can I just get new screws? So mad at myself
>>
>>2754737
That’s not a concern it’s for my desk decoration and autism stimulation (making & fidgeting with lmao).
Wood balls aren’t heavy enough.
Also not a concern where I live I can open carry here. Even though it’s not leaving my desk. Lighter weight shit just doesn’t satisfy that itch for me and I can’t keep fondling my nuts.
>>2754585
Can’t find anywhere man. I can’t even find steel ball bearings. I don’t feel like buying online and having to wait.
>>
File: 1710697156876220.png (67 KB, 747x416)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
If I put a galley with a sink in my boat, can I do the plumbing like A with the sink hose straight down to the seacock and thru-hull below the waterline or should it be like B with a "vented loop"? I've read about a phenomenon called "siphoning", is that a risk here?
>>
>>2754888
(or maybe I should just have a thru-hull above the waterline? Heard it can make using the sink while under way difficult though)
>>
>>2754879
ahah eh that doesnt look like its your fault, the previous owner has let it go to shit it looks like. it reminds me of the crap used dinghys we had in sailing school where the mast fell on the first day because the forestay snapped in half after a gust
>>
>>2754599
Anon, I have a Cal 20. I race her but also take her anchoring. 30' of chain and a 20lb anchor is overkill for a 20' boat. When I go cruising I have 20' of 1/4" chain, 150' of nylon ride and 5kg Bruce and it holds great. Also just have a bow cleat like you. Your boat likely weighs under 2300lbs. It is just fine. Go anchoring for a while with your current setup. Tie your rode off on the cleat and run it through the spilt eye. If you're super concerned tie it to another cleat further after. Don't let it touch your pulpit. Keep the whole setup in a milkcrate down below where weight is better. If it's on your bow the boat will just bob more in waves.

Pulling up that setup is easy. Windlass' are for 30' sailboats and over.
>>
>>2751529
let me guess, you need more
>>
File: 1720979914938115.png (122 KB, 856x734)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
>>2754888
Siphoning is a risk, especially if the sink's drain is below the waterline when the boat is heeled over

The vented loop should have the loop with vent above your maximum angle of heel. I rotated your pic 30° to illustrate.
>>
>>2755029
I had to close the sink drain seacock in my sj24 for this reason.
>>
>>2755006
Is it fixable? I could maybe move it slightly and redrill or maybe there’s some filler material to rescrew it in with?
>>
>>2755037
Everything is fixable. Do you have access to the underside? Plate the underside and thru bolt it. If it's spongy under the base now is your time to fix it. If it's not spongy and you have no access just move the screws to new holes.
>>
>>2753593
those fixations where cleats should be are fucking retarded. that's the most unintelligent thing I saw. Why would one bother drilling into the hull just to input a one-sided cleat?
>>
>>2751529
>Boat is on land for the summer due to some damages previous owner didn't let us know about
>gf is sad
>"I wanna sail"
>Refuses to rent a sailboat
>Refuses to buy a small cheap sailboat that we can sail for the summer and then give away
>Doesn't want to go sailing with someone on find a crew

>Only want to buy a new sailboat for twice the price of our old one
>Oh no wait she just wants to lay in bed and mope all day

what do?
>>
>>2755088
I feel so sorry for you
>>
>>2755088
Bonding experience with gf to get boat shipshape with her help.
>You want to sail, you're going to have to put in the sweat equity.
>>
>>2755140
Well, the boat is probably going to get fixed up by professionals since our insurance was pretty good. Still going to take until like mid September for her to be finished, at which point we both have ended our vacations and have gone back to work.

We've discussed getting a fixer-upper, hauling it to her parents place (they have a farm) and working on it as a summer project. But getting the thing there seems like an issue since we don't have a car that can haul a multi ton sailboat for several hours.
>>
>>2755148
Hire a hot shot to get it done. Likely cheaper than a couple months of leasing on a dually pickup.
>>
>>2755039
thanks, ya I’m going to see what I can do about it
>>
>>2755088
sounds like you're learning a valuable life lesson about women
>>
>>2751529
Seamen? More like SEMEN Hahahaha GAAAYYYYY
>>
>>2751529
sailing is truly the great equalizer, when you are out on the water you don't see colour. we are all one - kumbaya
>>
File: morningglory.jpg (39 KB, 450x245)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2755567
oops forgot the inspirational pic to go along with that
>>
File: ac.jpg (121 KB, 901x1027)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
hope you're all wearing your life jackets
>>
>>2755567
>and then the somali pirates show up
>>
>>2755485
I love this woman but I mean yeah Jesus Christ it's infuriating sometimes.

>All I want is to go out sailing anon
>Well this smaller sailboat is literally the price of a sailboat rental, €1000 and will give us a few weeks of sailing at least, then we can give it away.
>No anon why would I want a smaller boat? That's not sailing
>Besides we don't know if we're going to be able to give it away
>Why can't we just rent a car for €600, travel across the country, hire an inspector for €1000, and buy a €25000 boat?

Instead she's sobbing in bed.
>>
>>2755567
All boats are tiny on the ocean.
>>
File: Laser.jpg (298 KB, 1600x1067)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
>>2755648
>>No anon why would I want a smaller boat? That's not sailing
If only she knew
>>
>>2755648
Sounds like my ex fled to europe when all the men here got sick of her
>>
File: images (1).jpg (10 KB, 225x224)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2755594
its too hot right now i actually want to capsize on purpose. but in the winter yes
>>
>>2755649
the tinier the better though (thats what she said?)
>>
File: gazellesmall-800x530.jpg (69 KB, 800x530)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
What exactly is the deal with junk rigs? They seem to illicit strong reactions either in favour or against them.
>>
>>2755714
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOeTZzZGpBg
>>
>>2755714
easier to manage solo, so they say. also they look cool and ancient they evoke wonder and imagination about the distant past
>>
>>2755714
>What exactly is the deal with junk rigs? They seem to illicit strong reactions either in favour or against them.

rig snobbery probably dates all the way back to prehistorical Polynesian exploration, but the specific disdain for junk rigs is an artifact of British manufacture. I could speculate and ramble for hours on this subject without getting anywhere. It dips into issues of national pride and other intangible, poorly documented, ahistorical things all the way back to the beginning of recorded history and beyond. one question at issue is whether or to what extent you believe certain historical European accounts and contemporary Chinese claims about the Ming treasure fleets.
>>
>>2755826
Square rigs are superior as proven by the historical evidence of junk fleets never once ruling the waves.
>>
>>2755833

stipulated, but square rigs don't look cool.
>>
>>2755844
square rigs look really cool, but only on huge tri masted galleons
they just look dumb on anything reasonable to personally own
>>
>>2755833
>>2755826
I really meant modern western junk rigs, not historical ones. If you look on boomer forums, their advocates don't shut up about how great junks are while the detractors throw a hissy fit at the mere mention of them.
Then it'll usually turn into a massive argument about upwind performance
>>
>>2755932
>boomer forums
enough said
>>
>>2751529
let me guess, you need more
>>
>>2755932
>boomers benchracing on sailing forums
I'm not surprised but it's still funny
>>
File: IMG_6844.jpg (1.11 MB, 2249x1467)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>2755932
I'd say sailing forums would be tolerable if all the boomers left but I think of sailing discord it's it's almost as insufferable.
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>2756095
I would like a boat that actually fits at least one human.
>>
>>2756459
lose some weight, fatty
>>
>>2756738
Show me a human that can sail a 12cm lego boat.
>>
>>2755021
actual lighting rod
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (294 KB, 1280x720)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>2756740
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (253 KB, 1280x720)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>2756740
theres lots
>>
File: hq720.jpg (113 KB, 686x386)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>2756740
lego boats seem to be an untapped trend on social media, hmm
>>
>>2756740
this ones actually pretty based, i love the lapstrake style hull construction. very authentic and trad
>>
I have a Raymarine st2000 and would like it to steer to the wind. They used to sell a push pit mounted windvane that spoke in seatalk that would tell the ap what to do. Is there a diy way to build this?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.