[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1671062328769432.jpg (124 KB, 622x540)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Would this work?
>>
>>2751740
The plastic would get brittle in the sun. But a roll.of greenhouse plastic is like 120$ it's it's for 100ft long fuckers. And that stuff will last most of a decade.
>>
Dumb. Buy a chainsaw. Get a mill if you want to be fancy. That's all you need.
>>
>>2751740
yes but it will need repairs and a lot more firewood to heat than if walls were made of thicker material. thats a lot of labor just to go out and process the wood. thats time and energy not spent writing ur novel

a tent is temporary while u build the more permanent structure
>>
>>2751740
Yep. Homeless people do this in urban environments all the time
>>
File: Cling film shelter.png (878 KB, 591x778)
878 KB
878 KB PNG
>>2751740
Russian soldiers headed to Ukraine were shown to use this kind of structure in the winter due to insufficient supply of tents at the training grounds in Voronezh and other places.

It's probably not a great idea if you want to use if for more than a couple days, and it makes a lot of garbage to clean up.
>>
>>2751740
A windbreak is always nice but that would hold zero heat at all, no matter what you did it would be the same temperature inside as outside at all times. But, no windchill I guess.

Also the roof with collapse in the first rain.
>>
File: IMG_1580.png (282 KB, 1179x2556)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
Yes but it’s not just grocery store cling wrap, it’s packing/moving plastic wrap. You can get it at Home Depot and U-Haul and it comes in like 2-3 foot wide rolls. Pic rel.

Anyways, this shit is very strong especially when bunched up. You could actually make a hammock out of it pretty easily. Or in the case of OPs picture with 4 square trees, you could make an entire floating camp by making a few passes around the tree for the “support beams” of plastic then making the floor by connecting them through the middle. It would probably take an entire 1000’ roll just to make the supports and floor. If each tree is 10 feet away thats 40 feet per full circle. So like 6 circles that’s 240 feet minimum there. Then the floor is 50 feet per layer. At least 3 layers. That’s another 150. Walls could be one layer thick, tight, for wind resistance. Roof idk, depends if it’s just water or heavy wind and tree branches. Or worse, snow
>>
>>2751740
idk about a cabin but theres a russian that made a kayak like that and it worked great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MFN2tXnd0Y
>>
File: DSC_0129.jpg (2.15 MB, 2752x1548)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>2751740
Years ago I tried to make a tent out of sticks, string and a simple dust sheet from the hardware store. I couldn't sleep in it - even the slightest wind made terrible noisy.
>>
but how would you coom?
>>
>>2751753
>Just cut down a bunch of trees if you want to larp
JFC you retards are cancer.
>>
>>2752274
Oh go tell it to the mexicans hauling in cords to sell every fucking week
>>
>>2751800
That is the kind used for open freezer doors, not shirk wrap. Its most likely bought as OEM moisture barrier for house construction.
Still pretty awful thermal effectivity.. .
>>
>>2751830
Tyvek is only 10x the price, still affordable, and was literally engineered for this exact purpose.
It’s not clear but OP would need so many layers of plastic wrap that his cabin wouldn’t be clear either.
>>
File: IMG_1380.jpg (541 KB, 2176x879)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>2752452
>>
>>2752284
You sound like you eat bugs you faggot
>>
>>2751775
>>2751800
Im so hot that what I need is to cool me off
>>
>>2752512
lol yeah having direct sunlight coming through your plastic walls will cool you off. let's be honest you're too stupid to make anything yourself
>>
>>2751740
>not bug proof
>stove will melt the plastic
>>
>>2752566
You are just jealous of not being as hot as I am
>>
Certainly a few tarps would be better and maybe cheaper than plastic wrap.
>>
>>2752274
Oh no my heckin treeefrienderinos
You faggot city dwellers should just keep your cunts shut about anything other than barcades and how vibrant and diverse your concrete jails are.
>>
>>2752274
Infinatly better than hauling a bunch of plastic trash into the woods.
>>
>>2753115
>t. city dweller who cuts down live trees instead of using dead wood every time he camps
>>
>>2751740
There's a guy on YT who owns a bunch of land in Ontario. His videos of him cutting down dead standing trees and making original shelters. Like old satellite dish for a roof or an A frame made from an old fire house door. IIRC, one of them was plastic wrap. I think he's idea is to have a bunch of interesting cabins to rent out to glampers.
>>
>>2753143
https://www.youtube.com/@ModernSelfReliance
>>
>>2753147
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iil0mdr9GYo
>>
File: img_1108.jpg (3.38 MB, 4032x3024)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>2753124
nahhh.
>>
>>2751740
You can just stack up fairly straight deadwood in alternating pattern going around the structure to build up simple walls, fill the gaps with tight tufts of dried grass. I have made several of these huts for fun.
>>
>>2753183
beautiful photo anon, where is this ?
>>
>>2753111
Yes. DIY shelters from shower curtains, polycro, drop cloths, and Tyvek have really gone to the wayside since super cheap imports started showing up on Amazon. A 10x10 blue tarp from a hardware store is maybe $10 but you can get a legitimate silnylon tarp with stakes for $30 online.

It’s nuts. This didn’t exist ten years ago. I mean there were some cheap options, but it was nothing like it is now.
>>
no, because you can't afford the land to do it on
>>
>>2751775
>shrink wrap cabin
>pile shit around it
>shrink wrap again
>>
>>2751741
well will it work for like a week?
>>
File: 3031413423.jpg (171 KB, 1120x747)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>I can afford

This does not mean typically mean the building itself.

But rather owning the land as private property to build on to begin with.

That looks like an improvised shelter from the warzone in Eastern Europe.

Lot of that land is being bought up by Blackrock and Wall Street banks for reconstruction.
>>
That's like $2000 worth of corogated iron dude, cheaper and if you know a builder/roofer who can get industry prices.
>>
>>2755841
Western Oregon
>>
>>2755905
Probably for a whole season to a year. The less direct sunlight the longer it'll last and there's lots of different types plastic sheets everyday people can get and they'll all react differently.
>>
>>2753111
Nah, if you really wanted a plastic shelter like OP's it's extremely cheap but prone to ripping and sun damage.
Now if you took the packing wrap like OP and made your little shelter, then used tarps on a sturdy wooden frame you'd have a real nice shelter with a double-layer wall.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.