[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (46 KB, 740x416)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I witnessed a woman fall to her death today on half dome cables. Immediately turned around and hiked out.
>>
>>2752708
>turned around
360?
>>
>>2752709
540, I was on the sub dome so I wasn't committed yet
>>
was she fat?
>>
>>2752708
Sweet bro
the closeness of death really makes you feel alive, doesn't it?
>>
>>2752708
How fat? Was she hot?
>>
>>2752711
>>2752714
She looked fairly average size at least from what I saw while she slid down
>>
>>2752717
Damnnn

My sister witnessed a dude jump off a cliff and sudoku himself at Starved Rock, it shook her up for a bit, but she’s also a female so you need to stop being a little bitch OP.
>>
>>2752708
Don't mind the retards incapable of taking anything seriously.
Risk is intrinsic to mountain activities, I think it's criminal that countries allow such a commercialization of the environment at the expenses of human life and nature.
Many really are clueless on the dangers they are facing.
From what I can see from picture it might be sensible that hand rail system to be turned into a via ferrata.
>>
>>2752708
very good choice anon. your soul will not be harvested by the hills this year
>>
>>2752708
So you're saying your date didn't go well
>>
>>2752708
>Immediately turned around and hiked out
Pussy. I would have ditched the cables and free-soloed it to show all the tourists how it's done.
>>
I hope the selfie turned out ok.
>>
what sound did she make? how did she fall? how could we have prevented this?
>>
>>2752708
>ITT Things that didn't happen
>>
>>2752753
We'll find out soon enough if there was a death in a high-profile location in Yosemite.
>>
>>2752752
It's funny because the park rangers will tell you if you are thinking about using climber gear like a clip harness then you likely aren't ready to go up it.
>>
>>2752708
pics/vids or it didnt happen
>>
>>2752784
if true there should be something, it was a holiday weekend so it had to be packed with tourists, someone must have gotten it on camera
>>
>>2752722
>tripfaggot telling someone to stop acting like woman
lmao
>>
>>2752708
>>2752717
Almost 24hrs later and not a single news report about a death in Yosemite. Why are you lying?
>>
>>2752938
Plot twist: He killed her and they don't know it yet
>>
>>2752708
It was covered in clouds with howling wind when I got up there. A guy had fallen backwards at the cables and was laying near the start with a compound leg fracture. Basically no visibility. Ranger was sending people away. They waited for things to clear a bit and had a helicopter rescue, but it was still heavy cloud cover when it came. Glad I didn't watch someone bite the dust.
>>
>>2752708
That looks really easy
>>
>>2752966
This happened but years ago.
>>
>>2752995
It's easy with the cables unless you're a total gumby. Real climbers wait until after the cables come down in October
>>
>>2753023
If you know the right knots it's easier with cables down as it's also when the crowd is slimmed out. More at risk when there's a ton of idiots and one of them could ruin your entire day, or at the very least create a bottleneck
>>
>>2753026
>If you know the right knots
That's why I said real climbers and not casuals who have to rely on the NPS to create a safer climb for them
>>
>>2753023
>Real climbers wait until after the cables come down in October
Still looks easy
>>
>>2752727
>commercialization of the environment at the expenses of human life and nature.
isn't that the modern human experience
>>
>>2752722
checked, Starved Rock is pretty based
>>
>>2753081
maybe snake dike is more your speed
https://www.climbing.com/news/80-foot-slab-fall-yosemite-climber-critically-injured/
>>
>>2753253
How the fuck do you "lose the talus bone somewhere on the mountain"? Is your foot not tucked inside your fucking boot until you hit the trauma ward?
>>
>>2753253
>While New Zealand nationwide’s no-fault personal injury insurance program AAC (Accident Compensation Corporation) will cover the majority of Parsons’s treatment and recovery once she’s able to return home, Ben said she was racking up bills in excess of $4,000 per day while recuperating at an American hospital in Modesto, California, in addition to the numerous extensive surgeries she’s already undergone and which lie ahead. Her travel insurance covers a small portion of this, but her medical bills already exceed $1,000,000.

>As a result, her family is hoping to bring Parsons home as soon as she can fly, but it remains to be seen how soon that will be. Her sister, Jessica, set up a donation page to raise funds to help cover her bills, including for the prosthesis, treatment, and rehab
K E K
E
K
>be kiwi
>go to Murica
>pay medical bills
K E K
>>
>>2753081
What about free soloing El Capitan like Alex Honnold? Is that easy to you too?
>>
>>2753291
One is a hike the other is an extremely difficult rock climb. Why are you comparing them?
>>
>>2753303
I'm not comparing them. I was trying to determine what his (or your) limit for "easy" is
>>
>>2753316
Half Dome's normal route is listed as a T4, in other words just a strenuous hike, something that any adult in good physical shape can do.
>>
>>2753318
Without the cables?
>>
>>2753320
It's easier and safer without cables as long as you're not free climbing like some retard
>>
File: Summitpost.png (11 KB, 611x146)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>2753320
>>
>>2753321
>class 5 is easier than class 3
/out/ logic
>>
>>2753327
cables give unfit people the illusion they can do it. said people become more a danger to you climbing it than just doing it without cables where everyone is forced to know what they are doing and use safety equipment.
>>
>>2753328
Fair enough about inexperienced tourists creating a danger when the cables are up. Calling it "easy" is still a bit of a stretch. What's your definition of "moderate" and "hard" then?
>>
>>2753320
I'm kinda confused. Here is a video of a couple climbing half dome when the "cables are down".
But there are still cables...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWBERNZEJ0c
But yes, if there really were no cables this would be a climbing route which could potentially require some rappelling on the way down.
>>
>>2753334
The cables refer to poles that the wire cable is attached to so you can walk up it like stairs. It's confusing, I know.
>>
>>2753328
Different assertion than the previous one.
>>
>>2753334
"cables down" looks like safety on easy mode - just whack a loose prussik on there and you're good to go.
Visually exposed routes like this give me the shits whatever I'm doing. I MTB on forested hills here, steep af. In the forest, all good. As soon as I get to a cleared section, hating life. It's stupid because I know it's exactly the same and it's purely a change in perception. Nothing I can do about. Didn't really bother me until a couple of years ago either.
>>
>>2753275
>Her sister, Jessica, set up a donation page to raise funds to help cover her bills,
Why are people this retarded? Just dont pay, what are they going to do? Write it off on taxes, that's how the system is designed.
>>
>>2753652
write what off on taxes? A million bucks worth of hospital bills?
>>
>>2753253
>get injured
>that’ll be 1 million dollars goy
Crazy that you have to file for bankruptcy as a default if you have heavy medical debt
>>
>>2753740
>Crazy that you have to file for bankruptcy as a default if you have heavy medical deb
Alternatively you simply buy health insurance like a sane person, which by the way is required by law for a decade now or you pay fines yearly. Also for foreigners who come over, do extremely stupid shit, and then have to be rescued and sent to a hospital that's on them. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Especially for high altitude, high risk activities she should have come more prepared.
>>
>>2753752
I don't pay for shit, fines mean nothing because again I ain't paying shit. The only thing they can do is kidnap you and lock you in a box, it's literally the only punishment that matters.
>>
>>2752736
it's sad that this was the first thing i thought as well, was she an influencer?
>>
>>2753659
Yes, the hospital writes off that $1 million they never expected to be paid in the first place. This is how american healthcare works.
>>
>>2752708
Why didn't she just stop the fall?
>>
>>2752722
rare time a trip is based
>>
>I witnessed a woman fall to her death today on half dome cables. Immediately turned around and hiked out.
LMAO. I would've had to find somewhere to strangle my cock
>>
>>2753253
Snake dike is ez for a climber but heady. Don’t fall.

Apparently it’s pretty hard to go off route where she did, you can see the traverse and the next bolt but she got herself on a 5.10 route next to snake dike
>>
>>2753740
>Do something incredibly stupid
>Surprised when there's consequences
It makes perfect sense as a deterrent against risky and utterly stupid behavior
>>
>>2752727
Lol fuckin Lisa Simpson over here, shut your sanctimonious pie hole.
>>
>>2753786
Okay, that's your choice. If you end up having to go to the hospital and get a bill that makes you go bankrupt that's on you then lol.
>>
>>2753253
>“It was raining a little bit before we started climbing,” said Evans, “but we gave it a bit and the sky cleared.”
So they decided it would be a genius idea to climb granite after being rained on and then slipped and fell?
>>
>>2752708
There are no articles on this.
OP's a fag and a LARP.
>>
>>2753659
>>2753880
That's how American finance* works. Big businesses will absorb costs or losses all the time if they know they realistically can't recoup it. What are you, the AP AR nerd tasked with getting the money, going to do? Are you going to take a multimillion dollar entity to collections over a past due invoice of $30? Or are you going to write it off?
>>
>>2754167
Or what? What are you gonna do about it? Get a grip, imbecile.
>>
>>2753652
That doesn't save them anything on tax, though. They record revenue, never receive payment, and adjust their net income accordingly.
>>
>>2752727
It’s a like a 10+ hour hike round trip, normies are not making it to these
>>
>>2755096
>hospital makes one million in profits
>to avoid taxes on this one million, they make a fake one million bill they never expect to be paid and write it off as a loss
Hope you learned something.
>>
>>2754172
I hope you get cancer and the hospital takes every single dime you ever wageslaved for.
>>
>>2755205
They need to increase their revenue, and thus their income, by the same amount that they're writing off.
>have revenue $x and taxable income $y
>make up fake $1m bill
>write off said bill
>revenue is now $x+$1m
>net income is now $y+$1m-$1m
One of us definitely needs to learn something. You're welcome.
>>
File: 1694097879501958.jpg (56 KB, 702x581)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2752708
When i was a kid i did Angels landing in Zion. I saw a dude stand up at the top, trip and somersault backwards and almost drop off the edge. He didn't quite have the energy to complete the roll and it saved his life.

10/10 good hike
>>
>>2756074
SHITPOST BUMP
>>
>>2755194
There are plenty of normies that make it
>>
>>2755206
They can't since i have insurance with a low deductible like a normal sane person ;)
>>
>>2752722
>Bepis
>shook her up for a bit
Nigga kek
>>
>>2756080
Last time I went up there were so many norps on the cables it was going to take hours to get down. We just moved to the outside of the cables and passed all the dildos. Pretty funny, people (women) were sperging at us, OMGing and I can't even'ing, one lady was already scared shitless and started hyperventilating when we went past her.
Cables down is the way to go, or during a full moon. We had an illegal bbq up there about 20 years ago, back before the rangers posted up at the sub dome. My messican buddy carried a 12 pack and some ice and I carried a grill and some beef steaks. We were dumb kids but it was a fun trip.
>>
>>2753752
retard doesn't know that the majority of medical insurance has a maximum allowable payment in a calendar year, not to mention copays, coinsurance %, and highly paid weasels who do their best to deny your claims regardless of how straightforward it should be.
>>
>>2752708
OP is a liar...but also a seer.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/college-student-death-half-dome-yosemite-19591633.php
>>
>>2757664
>ranger specifically warns them about rain
>go up anyway
>"this storm came literally out of nowhere!"
>try to descend
>"dad I'm slipping"
>"just keep going lol"

Idiots
>>
>>2757664
>He dropped to his knees and prayed for a miracle, and a few people approached him, asking if they could pray, too.
Unfortunately for them, as recent events have shown, God's grace extends only to lying, cheating, treasonous, whoremongering adulterers.
>>
I trekked over those mountains granite domes with a heavy pack at a steady pace for hours on end, just to set up a new camp each night. Will never forget laying back at night atop those domes gazing at the Milky Way and all the stars.
>>
>>2757699
>I trekked over those mountains and* granite domes
Also got some climbing in, filtered water from clear streams with iodine
I think I prefer iodine or campfire boiling/distillation over those plastic doodads
Though clean water is clean water, I'd rather have one of those filters than die of cholera
>>
>>2757664
I don't understand. If you're going to do half dome why would you not take a harness and clip in? At most you'd fall to the next pipe.
>>
>>2752722

You use a trip on an anonymous board, anonymity is one of the appeals of 4chan. You want to make it like twitter, facebook, social media with a handle, it is clear you are seeking attention or trying to establish some kind of online identity.

It is pretty annoying on principle, if not against the whole spirit of the site. It is the same thing with self-promoting e-celebs. It is technically bannable to doxx yourself or others, but not with e-celeb pundits who get paid from spamming themselves on 4chan for clicks and views on social media.
>>
>>2757712
Lot of free climbers that shun the harness, often to set records, or just for the thrill and bragging rights.
>>
>>2757715
Skid is the king of the tripfags. Don't know who this Bepis is but he sounds like a clown.
>>
Was it her? https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/college-student-death-half-dome-yosemite-19591633.php
>>
>>2757715
>caring this hard about one line of green text in the very top of a message
reprioritize, anon
>>
>>2753272
>boot
You wear boots when rock climbing?
>>
>>2756242
>maximum allowable payment in a calendar year, not to mention copays, coinsurance %, and highly paid weasels who do their best to deny your claims
OH SAY CAN YOU SEE
>>
>>2757902
Yes

>>2757903
I'm impressed you didn't say
>by the donzerly light
>>
This nigga predicted the future what the actual fuck
>>
>>2757712
Because retards with overinflated egos will tell you dumb shit like "if you think you need a clip harness, you're not ready to climb it" or "real climbers can do it without cables and harnesses, you're just a tourist scrub if you rely on that." This sort of careless talk leads people to do dumb shit because of their own overconfidence.
>>
>>2756242
Mentioning allowed amount and copays in the same sentence proves you’re actually the idiot in this conversation.
>>
>>2758078
people die and slip off there all the time. someone fell 500 feet which is over double what this latest chick fell. thats a damn long way to fall before you die
>>
so would you pass the people slowing you down or would you be polite and die
>>
>>2753786
Based. Ive never paid a hospital bill except when i broke my clavicle in HS and my parents thought making me pay would teach me not to do dumb shit
>>
>>2752708
It can be done. My son climbed up the cables at 8 1/2 years old but he was in a harness, clipped to the wire and short roped to me. I've been climbing for over 25 years.
>>
>>2757664
Harness
Sling
Rain
????!!???
PROFIT!
>>
>>2758221
Goyim parents are silly
>>
>>2758130
i would turbo past them. hell i veer off trail to pass people on the uphill too
>>
>>2752727
There are many risks you are taking without even knowing, retard. Should the government just label everything, or do some life risks fall under common sense?
>>
I hope if this ever happens to me that there are lots of normalfags watching and my body splattering next to them scares them away from the outdoors forever.
>>
>>2752708
didn't see any news of a death till today, do you have a time machine by any chance?
>>
>>2752708
the most retarded part about this whole thing is the dad getting on his knees to pray instead of doing anything to help the daughter.
>>
>>2758432
>instead of doing anything to help the daughter.
Are you retarded? She was brain dead before she hit the ground. He also would have had to have taken a leap off a steep cliff to even reach her since she was a good 100ft down slope still off the actual trail which would have likely resulted in his death as well or just made the rescue even more annoying since the retard jumped after her and stranded himself.
>>
>>2757715
>I have no idea how 4chan works and dont know before the reddit hoard came in the 2010s ruining the site that tripcodes made 1:25 posts. I'm going to post inane garbage mentally ill head canon on how 4chan works.

Yeah zoomer this is a hobby board why dont you go back to your discord youre not welcome here cancer also you need to be 18 to use this site.
>>
Spooky thread. OP is a confirmed magi. Put me in the screencap
>>
uh oh
what is this thread
UHHHHHHHHHH???
>https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/college-student-death-half-dome-yosemite-19591633.php
if theres a put, then cap me in the screen
>>
File: pepe-apu.gif (674 KB, 474x498)
674 KB
674 KB GIF
>>2758492
Based.
Put me in the screencap too.
>>
File: IMG_7820.jpg (69 KB, 886x729)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>2758492
Put me in the screencap
>>
>>2758492
All fake reddit edgyness aside, that shit is sad.
>>
>>2758432
agreed, he should have nose dived off the cliff so he could perform on the site surgery to her broken body and busted brain.
>>
>>2758518
>park ranger tells you not to go up
>you go up anyway
>didn't even wear any climber gear
they had it coming
>>
>>2758523
>you didn't listen to the park janny, you deserved to die
>noooooooo you have to buy all the gear before you go outside
you have a cowardly cuck mentality. I hope you get eaten by a grizzly.
>>
>>2758526
You're the type of person who would wonder into a known grizzly infested part of a forest without any protection then wonder why you were killed.
>>
>>2758536
maybe you should just stay /in/ if you're that afraid of the world. we're all going to die of something. better to die doing what I love than in a hospital bed regretting my wasted life.
>>
File: IMG_0611.png (244 KB, 399x389)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
Toasting in ebin scream crap
>>
>>2758119
No, OP was very strangely accurate. ~15 people have died on the half dome cables in the park's history. It's not like this is something that tons of people just get rekt on frequently like base jumping. To get this and the person's sex correct within seven days is beyond crazy.
>>
>>2758561
He also got her build right
>>
>>2758565
Yes, that too, considering the amount of obese normies hat are more likely to be killed on this hike and the skinny climbing hardos who are mostly the ones attempting this route.
>>
OP must have taken a big hit of DMT and was able to project himself into the future. Crazy shit just like that dude who envisioned trump getting his ear shot.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.