[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Food2.png (209 KB, 1320x826)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
Ok so far so good but how to protect one naturally and effective against insects?
This is really the missing puzzle part
Pic semi related
>>
>>2752905
once you get bit by enough mosquitoes it stops bothering you. i hardly notice them anymore
>>
>>2753364
But it cant be healthy
They inject a bit of toxin everytime
>>
>>2752905
Mud if naked. Full cloth covering if not.
Lots of plants like catnip, bee balm, etc.
>>
>>2752905
Our ancestors probably rubbed ochre on their skin. Nowadays my chickens kill off the majority of the insects around my homestead
>>
>>2753368
>They inject a bit of toxin everytime
ive never heard of that. sounds like anti-vax quackery
>>
>>2753450
>>2753485
Ok thanks these are ideas
>>2753490
Lol
Well obviously these are toxins they inject or why would it inflame elsewise
>>
>>2753492
the itchiness is just your immune response
>>
File: 1711977664048019.png (371 KB, 512x512)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>2753501
>that's just your immune system being over reactive, embrace the jab!
>>
>>2753492
They inject an anti-coagulant so your platelets don't cut off their meal.
>>
File: meerbriar.jpg (222 KB, 1200x1600)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>2752905
Smoke a pipe when insects are around, they hate it.
>>
>>2752905
>Things that eat mosquitos and must be restored in wetland habitats:
Spiders
Dragonflies
Frogs
Bats
Birds
>>2753364
I prefer to chill with my armadas of bats, spiders and birds. I live 150 meters to a pond surrounded by forest and haven't seen a mosquito in years.
>>
>>2754189
Yes you dont want to just normalize that for your body
>>
>>2754194
I witnessed this for the first time when I camped with a tarp. I had bugs crawling over my blanket and face and felt like I was being eaten alive, lit my pipe and gave it some puffs and all of those creepy crawlies dispersed immediately. It's quite effective, it got me thinking about making some sort of slow release incense, maybe mix in powdered tobacco with vaseline/tallow and cotton balls? I imagine the smoke from it would be enough to cover a small area since it would be an oily black smoke.
>>
>>2752905
Woodsmoke is very effective in repelling insects, and ancient Europeans in all likelihood had a fire going on at all times when they were not moving around, like herders and hunters still do in places where it's not forbidden by law. They also wore clothing that covered most of their body, including specific anti-mosquito clothing like hoods and coifs. And if those two things were not enough, it's possible to use tar oil on the skin, which is a natural repellent, although it was probably only used in extreme cases and is considered a carcinogen now as far as I know.
>>
>>2752905
are natural habitats are places in Africa where you can walk barefoot and naked the whole year. everything else had been conquered by relatively recent technologies and people are intruders mostly everywhere. our anatomical adaptations are stuck far behind, if mosquitoes bother you'll have to fuck them over somehow.
>>
>>2755390
but not any smoke, you have to toss the right plants on hot coals, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanacetum_cinerariifolium
>>
>>2755390
>Woodsmoke is very effective in repelling insects, and ancient Europeans in all likelihood had a fire going on at all times when they were not moving around
Yeah this is actually pretty much the answer i guess. Not too good for us, but thats how they did it, and also more balanced ecosystems that did not let insects grow in these numbers
>>
>>2752905
Smash fish into a jelly and cover your body in it. You will be naked, but water/bug resistant
>>
File: bsgn.png (186 KB, 641x355)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>2755518

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.