[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0018.jpg (147 KB, 999x999)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
Desert exploration? Do any of you live near/in a desert climate? How do you bare with the heat do you just head North and try to cool off and avoid at all costs? Tips/ advice for desert dwellers
>>
>ah yes! today i will explore the desert!
>sand
>cool more sand
>neat rock, and sand
>sand
>dies of heatstroke because he didnt bring a tarp for shade, water, or a sleeping bag for when it get freezing at night
>>
>>2754683
>Do any of you live in a desert climate
Yes
Deserts filter most of /out/, see >>2754685

>>2754685
>tarp
Dork
>>
File: 1547303508388.jpg (2.46 MB, 7122x2330)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>2754717
>Deserts filter most of /out
this but unironically
>>
>>2754685
Fucking gringos this is a true dessert (atacama dessert,png)
>>
>>2754683
>Do any of you live near/in a desert climate?
Yes, Northern Arizona here.
>How do you bare with the heat do you just head North and try to cool off and avoid at all costs?
Only rich boomers can afford to travel up north and stay there until summer ends. You can't hike nor explore during summer because of the intense heat and sunlight. 100F to 110F (115F+ in some areas) is normal during summer.
>Tips/ advice for desert dwellers
Don't be retarded during summer. You're not brave for trying hike a trail during heatwave.
>>
File: DSC09791.jpg (318 KB, 1600x1067)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>2754683
Hmmm those mountains look familiar...
>>
>>2754786
A wise man goes /out/ in the desert once, but a fool goes twice
>>
Desert heat is nothing compared to swamp heat
>>
The guy who found the Death Valley Germans had an interesting blog.

OtherHand it's called.
>>
File: fdhgdfg.jpg (49 KB, 728x455)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>2754683
wait for a full moon and do a night hike
>>
>>2754900
It's true. Summers where I live used to be hot but they were also windy and it was quite bearable once you got out. Now the air is so stale, the lack of wind makes everything feel even more dead under the heat, it's just bad. Also the skies are not as clear as they used to be. The swamps are even worse I guess.
>>
>>2754683
I've lived in Scottsdale area for about 10 years. I would not recommend any kind of mountain hike right now. You can hike in low land (a wash), but I'd recommend staying put under the shade of a tree until sunset. There are lots of dangerous animals (snakes) during the day and other animals become active at night, which is also not safe for hiking, honestly.

TL;DR: Stay in shade and drink water if you are /out/ in the desert in summer.
>>
>>2754683
>do you just head North and try to cool off
In the desert you go up, not north
>>
>>2754683
I live and work innadesert. I’m still going out for work rn even though the highs are triple digits. I rescue the morons that make bad decisions.

the single biggest bad decision people make it not starting early enough. If I’m going out for a long day or an overnight right now, with sunrise at 6 I am on trail walking before 5:30.
>>
File: homebox.jpg (1.53 MB, 4032x3024)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>2754897
>wise in the desert once,fool goes twice
thenilive,,,here.,
,,if yourun a river throughithings arenice.,
,desertheat is No problem,,,its the COLD!,even then itso dry goose down plumpsup,,,such loft!,
,,,,in closing,,F.O! WERE FULL!!,
,,,just kidding!,,,Welcome.
>>
File: 1719944901910553.jpg (646 KB, 1807x1067)
646 KB
646 KB JPG
>>
I live closer to food deserts than actual deserts, and the wildlife in those is much more dangerous.
>>
>>2755557
Can't confirm. Grew up in a food desert, there wasn't any wildlife around.
>>
File: wafflehawks.jpg (99 KB, 1024x671)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>2755561
I don't think you got my joke.
>>
>>2754683
In southern AZ we go out innawinter or at night. I carry 8 liters of water for an overnight.
>>
>>2754683
>>2754869
Why is there snow on those mountains if they are in a desert?
>>
File: photoshop_1.jpg (335 KB, 1600x1600)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>2754683
>>2754869
>>2756365
wtf OP
>>
I live in arizona and it was so hot on my motorcycle ride yesterday with my jacket on that all the colors in my striped undershirt started to run. When I got home and took it off it was just a blurry green shirt
>>
I've been wandering the deserts of Arizona for about a decade. During the warm months, I usually just drive to wherever I'm hiking/camping. I usually stick to rivers, canyons, and valleys. But if I'm just plain walking through the desert, the most important thing is starting early. If I plan on wandering through the desert anytime from April to September, I start at 4:30 in the morning. The sun usually rises around 5 or 5:30, but the heat doesn't get too bad until 10 or so most of the time. Obviously, I always bring plenty of water. Plenty of ice, too. I usually bring a sports drink as well. A less common tip is to bring ice packs. The kind you shake to activate. Sticking one under your shirt will cool you down real fast. Putting a wet towel on your head helps, too. Another thing, get a straw hat. That wide brim will keep the sun off og you. Stay in the shade as much as possible, and rest often. Don't get carried away with your adventure. Try to stay within a few miles of some kind of civilization, even if it's a gas station or something. The heat comes on pretty quick, and you don't want to end up miles and miles away from some AC. Lastly, stay out of the mountains (if you're in the south valley, that is. Doesn't apply for the snowy places way up north.) Putting yourself on a mountain directly under a blazing sun is a surefire way to die of heatstroke. Even in the cooler months, the heat on a mountain can be brutal. Safe travels, friend. Hope this is helpful.
>>
File: grampy_bone.png (749 KB, 795x422)
749 KB
749 KB PNG
>>2756925
>singing old cowboy songs while I explore the mines in the bradshaw mountains
>temperature gets up to over 110
>tuck in under a tarp and fall asleep for a while
>it's raining and hailing when I wake up
>>
Had an /out/ job in Nevada, lived there for a year and spent ~85% of the time outside or in a tent. Hated every second of it. Not for me
>>
>>2757703
BLM?
>>
>>2757710
Mining exploration
>>
File: anakin-skywalker.gif (1.4 MB, 480x208)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB GIF
>>2754685
>freeze at night
103 degrees at 3AM

>SAND
"I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere."
>>
>>2754983
This. Mountains in at 31N in southern Arizona average up to 180 inches of winter snowfall on north facing slopes above 9,000 ft elevation. While in central AZ along the Rim places can average 90 inches of winter snowfall at 5,800 ft elevation due to moisture uplift, other places on the Rim at the same elevation or higher elevation can average as low as 20 inches, while mountainous terrain on the Rim can average as much as 250 inches. The difference can be so extreme that even just walking 3 miles away you enter a new climate regime, in winter snowfalls a good example is Show Low city (20-30 inches snowfall) and on Porter mountain 4 miles from the city limits the average is 80-100 inches. On sky islands and other places in central AZ with huge vertical relief, 3-5 miles distance is enough to go from a climate that almost never ets snow to one that average 60-180 inches long term. There is a very very small difference with latitude but it is barely discernible unless you're talking 10s of degrees of latitude difference and even then it can be completely negated by topography. Topography is the single biggest driver of local climate alongside predominant jet stream patterns.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.