[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: she chose the bear.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
What technology would you need to survive an American wilderness hike if you got lost?

I've heard stories of people getting stranded starving to death or running out of clean water, and I'm curious what could have saved them.
>>
>>2755407
Do you know how big and varied the landscape of the US is? It's too vague of a question to answer.
>>
>>2755414
what if you're stuck somewhere and your leg is broken? doesn't matter the area retard!
>>
>>2755417
It does matter dumbfuck, there are parts of the wilderness where it's so crowded someone will find you within a hour and others where you'll never see anyone. Non mountain parts of the country have cell service /out/ and mountainous areas don't. Some parts of the country have zero water, so even if you have a filtration system it won't matter.
>>
>>2755417
>Stranded in the dessert is totally the same as stranded in a swamp, guys !
>>
>>2755407
As long as you're outside of the desert and it's not freezing, all you need is the basic method of following water. Go downhill until you find a stream, follow it downstream to civilization. it's that easy. You can easily walk for 10+ days without food.

If you're in extreme cold, you need sufficient insulation and food. No clue about the deserts.
>>
>>2755428
>all you need is the basic method of following water.
This is actually shit advice outside of some specific situations. Following water will actually lead you away from civilization in some cases. If you are in somewhere you could get lost, you really should study a map to see where major roads are and what streams or valleys will lead you to them.
>>
That bear reminds me of biden

Also does anyone remember a meme of an old toothless man that would just say joe biden over and over?
>>
File: IMG_5668.jpg (554 KB, 707x721)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
>>2755407
A lot of people use satellite communication devices like the popular inReach. It’s not a satellite phone but it uses the same technology (I think; some nerd will chime in to tell me I’m wrong). It allows some pre-programmed text messages to be sent to pre-determined recipients, and allows the reception of texts as well. They can also be used to check weather and for navigation.

The big selling point is the SOS feature. It sends a message to operators who then coordinate with local search and rescue operators that someone has activated the device.

>>2755422
I was driving through a remote part of New Mexico that didn’t even have an FM radio signal much less cell service.
>>
>>2755407
>what could have saved them
not making a series of bad decisions that led them to get stuck out there in the first place
>>
>>2755417
Yes, the area matters quite a bit.
>>2755414
Tech: No
Skills: Yes
Skills >>>>
>>>
> Tech
>>
I spent a night in cloud peak wilderness last weekend. I only had GPS on my phone, no data service of aerial maps. Aside from having that navigation by land feature is fairly easy.
>>
>>2755407
Obvious answer is the Garmin InReach or similar satellite communication device. That would probably have been enough to save most dead hikers besides those mauled by an animal.

But besides that, I think what kills most hikers is overestimating their own abilities and underestimating the difficulty of the terrain. I think people actually getting so lost in the woods that they starve or die of dehydration is quite rare in the US. Exposure is a little more common. But the most common ones are falling and drowning. Don't hike and climb on mountains you're not ready for, and don't swim in waterfalls or fast rivers or other dumb shit like that.

If you want specific items besides just common sense not to be retarded around bodies of water or cliffs, here are some I think would have saved the most lives:

>Good footwear
>Mylar emergency blanket
>InReach or other satellite phone
>Bear spray or gun
>Redundancy for important things--backup flashlight, firestarting method, etc
>Whistle, signal mirror, extra ways to call for help
>Map and compass

If I could just pick one item to save the most lives besides the InReach it would be the space blanket. I think a lot of people freeze to death because they didn't realize how fucking cold some places get even in the summer. But it's mostly just common sense and staying within your abilities
>>
>>2755428
Horrid advice, especially if people report you missing. Water often goes where people cannot, especially in regards to elevation and it's a great way to ensure that you are in a place where people won't find you. This only works if you already know that there is civilization down river and that the land is transversable.

In the larger scope I would say in order.
Ability to track or navigate your position to prevent yourself from getting lost in the first place. Check often, be aware of trail markings if using established trails. It's tempting to leave a marked route but you really need to know how to get back to it, trails often become invisible from 10s of feet away. Personally I carry a signal panel and it goes on the pack/tarp/tree so I can spot it at a distance. The Largay case is a textbook example of leaving sight of the trail and being unable to navigate back.
Keep yourself alive. Even on just an extended day hike bring the ability to get and store water, to create a little shelter for yourself, be warm enough. Understand your environment and what conditions can be like even if they are currently favorable. People often get in trouble because they under estimate how fast storms move in, how fast temps can drop.
Signal for help. A million ways to do it really. GPS unit, phone with satellite, pen flares, signal mirror, signal panel. Have multiple options learn to use them. Stop thinking you're him and assume that it can happen to you.
>>
We always think in terms of worst case: if you stranded, what do you need?

A headlamp is probably the most useful in ensuring it doesn’t come to that. That easy-to-follow trail is a different story when the sun goes down.
>>
>>2755456
why does it show 8% charge on a (presumably) official ad image like this.
i know, it's just a number, but to me that makes it subtly less confidence inspiring. like it's not gonna last long. if I was selling it I'd chose like 95 or 86% or something.
>>
>>2755407
Unless you go off trail there really is no way you can get lost. I refuse to believe it. Worse case you backtrack.
>>
>>2755407
Why does she look like she getting F by that bear LOL.
>>
>>2755407
I don't understand, I went camping with my family at like age 6 and just wandered the forest the entire day, never once lost my orientation are people that retarded?
>>
>>2755426
Just eat your way out.
>>
>>2755813 >>2755407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9sF8nI6oY

Looks like the bear did wanna fuck her.
>>
>>2755827>>2755812
>A Wisconsin restaurant owner and his daughter died when they became lost during a scorching hike in a Utah park last week.
>Albino Herrera Espinoza, 52, and Beatriz Herrera, 23, were trekking around the Syncline Loop in Canyonlands National Park on Friday when they lost their way and ran out of water, according to the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office.
>The Syncline Loop, which is 8.1 miles long, is described by the National Park Service as the most challenging trail in the park’s Island in the Sky district.
>Temperatures in the area soared above 100 degrees Fahrenheit on Friday.
>The stranded father and daughter sent a desperate text to 911 — but the park rangers and helicopter crew dispatched to rescue them were too late.
>One of the hikers’ bodies was found at 5:45 p.m. in the Upheaval Dome area, the sheriff’s office said. The other was discovered nearby at around 6 p.m.
>Due to the treacherous terrain, the bodies had to be extracted by a helicopter team with the Department of Public Safety on Saturday, authorities explained.

This is the most recent story of it happening, sounds like there's a combination of factors that led them to die.
>>
>>2755986
>Mexicans die in a desert
Is this supposed to be a bad thing? The only tragedy I see is they wasted money on a helicopter while robbing the vulture of a meal.
>>
>>2755986
If you don't know what you're doing, don't do stupid shit that'll get you killed? Everybody gets so worried when I do shit I've done a thousand times and know for a fact is perfectly safe, then they turn around and do the most retarded shit like going to the hot spring in the woods when the woods were burning down a mile away during the wildfires.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.