[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 618berXWDcL.jpg (136 KB, 2560x1011)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
WARNING: Far too many inflatable kayaks are just swimming pool toys. If you forget that, if you take them out to sea, they may kill you. They're made in tens of thousands on Chinese production lines that have no environmental protection, no job security, very little quality control and no knowledge of kayaking on cold seas. Amazon sells them. People sell them at street markets. Price is no guide - some supermarkets have sold 'pool toy' kayaks for less than £50, but some of them are offered as 'adventure equipment' for more than £500. That's a colossal profit margin for a cheap, nasty product. It's also a way to suggest that these flimsy, dangerous toys are strong, durable and safe.The main thing to watch for is that the shell of a nasty inflatable kayak is probably made of the same quality of fabric that is used for poolside chairs, and the parts that inflate are probably made of unreinforced PVC (vinyl) that's no stronger or more durable than a kids' paddling pool. The seams are probably RF-welded. Unreinforced PVC fabric and cheap valves cannot hold the high pressures that make a serious IK into a relatively stiff boat; unreinforced PVC is thin and easily punctured. It will become brittle with age as the plasticisers evaporate, and it can just split open where you had it folded up over winter. An entire seam can suddenly pop open because the RF welding fails, dumping you in the water in less than a second. A nasty inflatable kayak probably has a life of less than 3 years of summer use. They're designed as badly as they're made, so they're very slow, hard to paddle in a straight line and impossible to control in windy conditions.
>>
>>2756258
No shit. Inflatable kayaks are for warm lakes and mild rivers. Not the fucking ocean.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2756261
a few are actually seaworthy, gumotex brand for example (formerly grabner) but they are made of rubberized nylon like a white water boat, and much more rigid than a pool toy like in OP
>>
So what you're saying Is I should go to sea in an inflatable paddling pool.
>>
>he fell for the intex guerilla marketing threads

sad
the future is looking bright though
new developments in dropstitch materials allowed more complex hull shapes than previously possible
>>
>>2756258
Screw you. I will take my pool toy out on the ocean if I choose to do so. Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do. Communist.
>>
I just bought an inflatable kayak today. Excited to try it out on the lake in the next few days.
> But but but...
Sorry, not spending 2k on a kayak.
>>
File: rush-1-action-1-l.jpg (595 KB, 1000x667)
595 KB
595 KB JPG
>>2756334
my boat was around 2k 5 years ago and it was well worth the expense. its made of rubberized nylon like white water boats. ive run over deadheads with rebar sticking out, oyster beds and god knows what else and theres just a bunch of scratches and scuffs but nothing that even breaches the outer rubber layer.
>>
>>2756323
>>2756334
Bearers of the Faustian spirit, I kneel. Mollycoddlers will never get it.
>>
>>2756334
You'd have been better off buying a real kayak for < $1000
>>
>>2756258
My dad had that Sea Eagle for 3 years now. So far so good he loves it.
>>
>>2757181
i also had it and its shite, weathercocks like mad, slow and hell, cant be inflated to a high psi because of the shit pvc chinesium welding. just pure utter chinese trash. never again
>>
>>2756334
>Sorry, not spending 2k on a kayak.
i bought my Necky rip 12 about 9 years ago and I think I got it for about $900 new after a 25% savings on two.
Still as solid as day one and I'd trust it anywhere especially when not loaded down with a couple hundred lbs of gear.
After owning such a kayak and several more moulded kayaks I can honestly say I will never purchase an inflatable kayak although I can imagine that travelling and storing one may be easier.
I've had canoes, zodiak and other inflatable boats as well as 14 foot aluminium fishing boat and non of them can compare to the kayak.
>>
>>2756323
Based you do you bro.
>>
>>2757181
same kek, dad's gettin up in years but he's still an adventurer at heart
>>
File: DSC_0019.jpg (2.36 MB, 3872x2592)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
Life jackets will save your life
>>
What’s a decent Kayak I can get for under $400? I just want to casually use it at the lake I don’t plan to take any gear on it or anything.
>>
File: decax500.jpg (143 KB, 1490x682)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
bros this decathlon dropstitch kayak looks decent as fuck especially for less than 1k. Anyone ever tried one?
>>
>>2757181
My dad convinced me to get one. Kayak is probably the outdoor hobby I do the least, but it's worked well for me and held up for 2 years while I've been van lifing.
>>
File: IMG_3028.jpg (452 KB, 828x650)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
Pussies
>>
>>2757761
decathalon is chinkshit. get an european made if youre going to get an inflatable
>>
>>2757829
no shit sherlock, did you miss the part where it's less than 1k? Also not had one disappointing experience with decathlon gear yet.
>>
>>2757481
WOULD WOULD would would
>>
>>2757283
I'm picking up a used Necky Zoar 14' today so this is nice to hear
>>
File: PXL_20240723_184342438.jpg (4.64 MB, 4032x2268)
4.64 MB
4.64 MB JPG
>>2757829
You mad bro ? 15 psi dropstich tandem sea kayak
>>
>>2758025
Tell me bro is it nice? Does it track good and is stable? Or does it twist with every paddle like every other inflatable water thing?
>>
>>2758061
Very nice and stable, tracks ok , no skeg so will try to turn to the wind/current like any other 18 footer. Rigid kayak are better but inflatables does not equate shit
>>
>>2758025
cringe af. enjoy your ball cancer from pvc leaching through your skin every time you use it
>>
>>2758025
also way to out yourself as a lake boater casual. your sea eagle trash wouldnt last a second on my local waters in the north pacific
>>
>>2758082
That is a décathlon, you are retarded , stay mad bro
>>
>>2758075
Shortlisting the decathlon kayak since no space to store a rigid one. Thanks bros
>>
>>2758106
You are welcome bro
>>
>>2758105
>>2758106
>>2758112
no one is falling for your fake "viral" ad campaign, fuck off decathashill
>>
>>2758116
whatever you say fagman muh china brand seethe chinkpain anon
>>
>>2756258
>if you take them out to sea, they may kill you.
Bro, you shouldn't kayak anywhere you can't swim to safely. If you do artic or offshore kayaking, that's advanced where you have appropriate skills and equipment.
>>
>>2758416
sorry im not a scaredy cat homebody like you. how do you think our ancestors got here in the first place
>>
File: yeoldefishe.jpg (200 KB, 1024x1024)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>2758424
riding plesiosaurs, duh
>>
File: n-yonaguni-a-20160719.jpg (964 KB, 3968x2629)
964 KB
964 KB JPG
>>2758429
more like surfing on beds of grass

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.