[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: carbon-fibre-insole-2.jpg (471 KB, 900x1200)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
Just want a quick check on if this makes sense or is really stupid.

Recently did a 4-day avalanche course and found my Salomon Quest 4Ds ample in terms of warmth and support in all ways except having the rigidity in the toes for high angle snow. I don't intend to use this proposed setup for high-exposure front-pointing or anything. Just want to postpone having to buy fully fledged mountaineering boots and make mine a bit more comfortable for use in non-technical terrain.

Idea is I can wear them as hiking boots on approach then pop the insoles in when I put crampons on to bring them up to (or close) to a full shank mountaineering boot. They're comfy for approaches as well so saves me carrying boots+trail runners like some people do.
>>
>>2756355
>All the cushioning of carbon
>All the durability of fiber
>>
>>2756355
Hmmm, this is an actually interesting idea. Most of the worry regarding using boots other than rigid mountaineering boots comes from the notion that steel crampons will pop off your flexible boots. then again companies also make flexible (they are more rigid than you would think) linking bars for crampons to enable better use of flexible shoes. I can Imagine the carbon fiber insole would be a good bet that it works out better with that too.
>>
Carbon fiber is only strong in 2 dimensions (or 1 if it's not made out properly). Given how thin the sole is and the pattern I'm suspecting the 2 dimensions are the plane you are walking in, so that sole would bend under perpendicular pressure to your sole and/or break.
I've never tried carbon fiber soles though, so maybe I am missing something and they somehow managed to lay the fibers in such a way that they are strong to perpendicular forces.
>>
File: IMG_8138.jpg (1.71 MB, 1284x2475)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>2756355
This is valid, Kilian says he does something similar to what you are describing

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.