[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I've been looking around for a good hammock but a lot of the recommended brands I've seen in discussions either aren't making them anymore or are completely sold out.

Could I get some hammock recommendations as well as general tips for hammock camping?
>>
https://a.co/d/9FP4GCl

I found this one, but considering the amount of gear you get for the price it almost seems a bit too good to be true... and usually when that's the case, well, you know the rest.
>>
>>2756438
Do you currently have a hammock? If not, I recommend just picking up a cheap $15-20 one and some ratchet straps for hanging.
>>
>>2756438
I enjoyed hanging out in a hammock, the brand was Grand Trunk (made is USA). If you plan on sleeping overnight in one, the wind can make it very cold, so they recommend a separate liner. I used a quilt or sleeping bag, but that was not enough sometimes. Gets cold.
>>
File: AB_ZD_9.jpg (206 KB, 800x1000)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>2756448
I found that they have a cheaper, older model from that brand for 27 bucks. Comes with a fraction of the stuff though and doesn't have the rain tarp. It's also 55" by 106" I'm 5'9 and on the heavier side and reading around, those dimensions might not be super comfortable. You wouldn't know any solid, budget brands with a bit larger dimensions by any chance?
>>2756452
I like the look of the skeeter beater one they've got. And I figured those extra under liners were important, especially considering most cost about as much as the hammock itself.

I just found myself on a trail the other day, found the perfect spot in the perfect weather, found a semi comfortable place, and laid down. I enjoyed it for an hour or so, then looked to the left of me and saw several perfectly spaced trees for a hammock and I just thought about how I could spend the whole day (and potentially night) out there if I had a good one.
>>
>>2756452
Your weight collapses the lofted insulation beneath you. A sleeping pad can work as it's stiff but the best option is an underquilt which hangs underneath the hammock. On the flip side it's about the best way to camp in the summer.

>>2756438
Superior Gear and Dutchware come to mind.

>>2756448
This but get some nylon hammock straps and carabineers. Ratchet straps are not ideal in size, weight, or in implementation since they're really designed to be pulled tight.
>>
>>2756458
Not really but you can get a serviceable one from Walmart or target for cheap $27 isn’t bad. Like I said if you don’t have one get one and go try it out before you drop a load on something you might not want to stick with. >>2756452 is right you need a blanket at the very least or something to keep you warm but otherwise you can get started for 20-30 bucks for a cheapo hammock and ratchet straps and even a $5 fleece throwblanket. This cost $7 and I’m using the shitty rope that came with it because I can shove it in my bag and it weighs nothing.
>>
>>2756460
Oh I agree they aren’t the best but they’re a good cheap option to get started if you’ve never done it. You can always upgrade slowly over time. A cheap hammock, a couple straps, a good rope, a tarp, and a good wool blanket and you can have a really decent weekend.
>>
>>2756460
Gotcha, I'll look up those brands and see if I can find anything when I get home.
>>2756461
That's fair. I had watched a guy that did it for 8 months (I think it was?) and he recommended to always have that tarp hanging over the hammock when you camp at one overnight which is why I thought >>2756439 was initially a good deal. I may even check on temu and what not to see if I can't get some cheap knockoff to try out. When I get into heavily wooded areas like the one I was hiking in, I just couldn't help but think how nice it would have been to have a hammock>my light weight tent.
>>
File: 20240618_171015.jpg (1.96 MB, 2361x1632)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
For summer, I rock this Alibaba one with a rain poncho on top. Works great for summer. For winter I recommend just tenting though, when it snows 2 M overnight and you need to jump down into it, it sucks. Remember your rope for holding it up, I use car ratchet straps, as I usually use my motorbike or ebike to the site. Can anyone recommend me how to keep my lower back warmer with the hammock? Do I have a sleeping pad inside to keep myself warmer? My bag is t good under compression.
>>
>>2756530
That looks coooomf
>>
File: s7619l4ikzt31.jpg (259 KB, 2048x1366)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
Alright, I think I've narrowed it down to these two:
Wise Owl (large)
https://a.co/d/1w7Ojtu

Quevoon (normal, not as wide as wise owl but longer)
https://a.co/d/5nBrrQv

If one of you guys who have been out hammock camping wouldn't mind taking a look at these and help me make a decision, I'd appreciate it. Both are on sale now for 20 bucks which is about what you'd find em for on temu/alibaba.
>>
>>2756460
Thanks for clarifying. I did not understand when I bought my Grand Truck hammock and nylon straps that I would also want to get an under quilt for nighttime. Makes total sense what you said about weight and insulation.

That said, to OP, hope you have fun with a new hammock. I had years of fun with mine. It would have lasted more years, I think, but my set got lost in a move.
>>
>I can span up to 30 feet tree gaps
>hammock, tarp, and lines weigh only ~2lb
>have camped comfortably in 10 degree weather
>can set up in spots tent plebs simply can't

I fucking love hammocks
>>
>>2756552
I say go with the wide if you’re a larger gentleman. You’ll appreciate the extra space. Hammocks, among other factors, helped me lose weight… to the tune of ~100lbs and kept it off for 8 years now.
>>
>>2756530
I've always wondered if an insulation layer outside the hammock would work better for keeping the warmth, it won't compress that way.
>>
>>2756667
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LjDr4BZvc2g
Apparently it’s called an “underquilt” and yes hammockmaxing.
>>
File: IMG_5022.jpg (963 KB, 828x597)
963 KB
963 KB JPG
Length is the most important aspect of a hammock. Anything under 10’ shouldn’t even be considered for sleeping unless you’re very short. 11’ is the standard. Just be weary of anything you buy an Amazon. It should be advertised as 11’; dimensions listed might include parts of the suspension. I think Wise Owl and One Wind are two brands on Amazon that might be worth looking at.

The length determines how flat you can lay. Width plays a part, but is more of a factor of how wide your shoulders are. A extra wide but short hammock just results in a lot of extra cloth flapping around (great for lounging with two people though).

Most hammocks will be around 58” wide because nearly all nylon is made to be 60” wide. Extra wide hammocks are closer to 68” for the same reason (the fabric starts off as 70”).

Pic: diy tarp
>>
>>2756704
I'm 6'3, my hammock is 8.9' and I sleep in it no problem
>>
>>2756530
>Can anyone recommend me how to keep my lower back warmer with the hammock?
you need some sort of mat or under quilt. I bring quite a thick mat because I like having the option of sleeping on the ground as well. that can make it quite difficult to get positioned correctly in the hammock without the mat sliding underneath you, but once I'm in it's very comfortable. but if you're only sleeping in a hammock, you could get a thin foam mat like the z-lite, but the best option would definitely be an under quilt.
>>
>>2756706
Well I’m 6’ 1” and my feet hang off the side of an Eno Dounblenest. I’ve made 4 hammocks of varying lengths and bought 7, ranging from however long the Eno is (9’-something) to 13’.
>>
>>2756706
>I curl into the fetal position and sleep in a tiny ball
The other guy is right lol
>>
File: tarps.png (43 KB, 2032x2154)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
Some of my musings on hex vs square tarps.
I recently decided to give a hex tarp a try, and it was working great until the first windy thunderstorm. My hammock stayed dry, but the things I hung at the head and foot ends were soaked, as well as the ground under the hammock and everything I left there.
Now, the tarp I used was 12 feet long, which is around 366 cm, which is already on the larger side, as many manufacturers make them 11 feet long and claim it's sufficient.
For comparison a 3x3m tarp will be over 420 cm diagonally. I wanted to visualize the coverage differences of a hex tarp vs square so I made picrel. I put one over the other then squeezed it to simulate it hanging at an angle. As you can see you gain some material in the diagonal corners, where it matters the least IMO (also the pic doesn't factor that most hex tarps will have catenary cuts). If the wind blows from the side, or along your ridgeline, a square tarp will offer more protection.
Of course you can improve the coverage by hanging the tarp right above your face like >>2756651, but if I wanted to bend double to get into my shelter and feel like I'm entombed in a coffin, I'd just use a tent.
Some other quoted advantages of hex tarps is that they catch less wind (but when the wind it's failing to catch carries water, that's not exactly a pro) and that you can hang them more tautly, but I don't see it helping much beyond aesthetics.
I'm not trying to convince anyone that square tarps are superior, or that you should ditch your hex tarp, but as someone who likes to stand under his roof and also be able to look around from his hammock, I decided I prefer a square tarp in a diamond configuration.
>>
What would be the best recommendation for staying cool. Normally it's easy to stay warm (I use a sleeping bag and a mat), but I'll be camping next month with lows of 80-85 and 70-80% humidity. I know I'll be sweating but is there any recommendations on keeping cool? Obviously was planning on sleeping in just underwear and hammock has a bugnet so bugs from the top aren't an issue. was thinking of using a poncho liner on the bottom to give a little space off the hammock
>>
>>2756666
I dunno man... those quads hint at deception. Sadly the larger sold out an hour after I posted it here [spoiler]ya vultures[/spoiler]. Got a friend who says he has a nice one and is going to lend it to me though, so it worked out, though I gotta ask him the dimensions as like >>2756704 said, from the research I did it seems like width and length are everything when it comes to a hammock and it's weirdly hard to find one that's 11"x6".

I've also got another friend who's deep into cosplay and has a bunch of sewing machines and is really good at it himself, so I may ask him how hard if would be to just make a custom one if I bought him all the materials. He's gotten insanely good at making clothes and such, so I wonder if a hammock would be all that hard for him.

Gonna read the other posts in a sec. Gotta work real quick.
>>
>>2756758
There are some full coverage bug nets with zipper entries. They slip over the entire hammock, supported above you by a structural ridgeline.
>>
>>2756666
Also, as I was driving I realized what you said about your weight. That's insane. Good on you.

I'm 32 and around 245 (apparently I carry it well as people are always shocked to find out I weigh that... or they are being nice). It would be awesome to lose that much.
>>
>>2756768
A hammock is literally and unironically one of the easiest sewing projects out there. It’s a piece of rectangular fabric with some extra seams on the ends for strength. The only hard part is laying out the fabric to measure and cut it. 1.6oz nylon is like $5/yard. Then you’ll need some kind of rope for the ends (7/64” AmSteel is pretty standard but anything strong enough will work).
>>
I got inspired spending the night in the sling.
>>
the decathlon one does da job man
>>
I have a DD one with the bug net and underquilt good hammock, was drunk one night and managed to flip it completely trapping myself, drunk legs in the air in the bug nut, just cut the net with my pocket knife, cut all the netting off and now its just for chilling out in the yard
Never really got back into hammock camping after that, DD makes some fantastic tarps though, check em out
>>
>>2757346
>DD
Did they ever start making hammocks large enough for adult men?
>>
>>2757353
Let us know how tall you get when you're finally an adult and we'll let you know.
>>
>>2757353
DD Chill Out is good.
>>
>>2756905
That does not look comfortable to sleep in
>>
>>2757405
Because he is laying in it wrong, you are supposed to lay diagonally in a hammock.
>>
>>2757405
I forgot this thread was here. Was comfortable enough not the best but I was taking my own advice and just used the $5 Menards hammock I keep in my bag.
>>2757577
Ballpark how much would you say you’ve spent on gear and hammocks?
>you’re doing it wrong sleeping the way people have slept in hammocks for literally thousands of years
>>
>>2757774
People have not slept that way in hammocks for thousands of years. They’ve always slept in them diagonally. You’re just a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2756438
hammocks are cool for lounging around in the woods. I have a hennesey with the bug net and rain screen and it's light and packable enough.. it fits easily in a backpack. But when it comes to sleeping in one, like others mentioned if it's below 60 you need more insulation than you might expect. I also have a hard time sleeping in them without a large amount of pillow shoved under my knees and lower back. I also think the materials smell like plastic and are probably carcinogenic or whatever.
>>
>>2757791
Whatever you say boss. You didn’t answer the question how much money you spend to use it wrong?
>>
Get a couple sticks and some duct tape.
>>
>>2757816
Looks like someone lounging just like everyone who owns a hammock (ie not you). Try googling another picture.
>>
>>2757577
Absolutely fucking insane that this is a controversial statement. Holy shit, this board is filled with retarded children.
>>
>>2757926
>everyone who owns a hammock ie not you
Nigger what? These are all me retard.
>>2756448
>>2756461
>>2756463
>>2756666
>>2756679
>>2756905
>>2757774
>>2757816
Answer the question boss. How much money have you dropped on hammocks so you can pretend to be an expert on how to lay down?
>>
>>2756438
literally doesn't matter. They're all the same just the straps are different.
Get a two person, a bit bigger but a lot more comfy
>>
>>2757932
Not that anon but probably 300-400. Thats 2 hammocks though and an underquilt. They are right though the 5 dollar blessed Menard's is almost certainly less comfortable than a proper 11ft hammock. The extra length and the diagonal position let's you avoid the curve and take pressure off your back.

>>2757935
Demonstratively false, but almost all the cheaper parachute nylon fabric hammocks are the same I'll give you that. Mostly because the machine that makes them tops out at about a 9.5ft length. On these the width makes up a little for the short length but if you're really sleeping in it spend the extra 30 bucks or whatever for an 11ft when you committed.
>>
>>2757932
He's trolling, anon. It's the same as waterproof stuff not being waterproof or raw aluminum being an alloy. Just ignore him.
>>
File: Hammock-Spreader-Bars.jpg (58 KB, 739x557)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
are spreader bars a meme? seems like wasted weight
>>
>>2757968
For the hammock? Like a bridge hammock? It definitely works and it's a shorter hammock set-up. Bridge hammocks are also easier to use a sleeping pad inside. The negative is that they are a little heavier and you have to carry the poles of course.
>>
>>2757932
>I haven’t spent as much as him lol
>I sleep head to toe in a hammock just like the Amazonians
>the other guy must just be a consoomer
NTA but it’s pretty hard to say how much I’ve personally spent considering I switched to hammocks in 2005. It was only in the last few years that I started DIY stuff, which doesn’t really save money (it ends up costing more because I make things that I’d normally refrain from buying). I currently have 6 hammock bodies, 3 tarps, 3 bug nets, and I think three suspensions. Things get made, used for a few months, then replaced or given away (or stuck on a shelf).

I’m confused as how spending less than someone else would make you more of an expert. That makes as much sense as the inverse; buying things doesn’t make anyone an expert either. So you see why that accusation is fucking stupid, right? Buying the perfect setup right out of the gate is pretty rare. And when you factor in underquilts, stuff gets expensive quick.

It doesn’t matter though. Anyone saying hammocks are slept in head to toe should just be ignored. That’s basic bitch hammock sleeping 101.
>>
>>2757968
They’re a necessary part of a bridge hammock. You can’t use a bridge hammock without poles and you can’t use the poles on just any hammock. It’s like asking if tent poles are a meme.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.