[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: deadboomers.jpg (855 KB, 1300x1054)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
Idiot boomers (husband and wife) who planned to sail from Nova Scotia to the Azores Islands solely on batteries and solar power both died before making it out of Nova Scotia.

https://archive.is/P0qRD

Do people not understand that producing the raw material for and then manufacturing batteries and solar panels itself consumes fossil fuels? People treat solar and wind and batteries as magical free energy with no cost to harvest or store

--

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police responded to calls on July 10 that a 10-foot inflatable lifeboat containing human remains had been discovered on Sable Island National Park Reserve, according to a news release from the agency.

The authorities did not identify the remains, but said they believed they were those of a 70-year-old man and a 60-year-old woman from British Columbia. A Facebook post by the man’s son, James Clibbery, later identified them as James Brett Clibbery and his wife, Sarah Justine Packwood, who had left Halifax Harbor in Nova Scotia on June 11 bound for the Azores. They were reported missing on June 18.

In a video on their YouTube channel, Theros Adventures, the elder Mr. Clibbery said they had named their trip to the Azores “The Green Odyssey” to show it was possible to travel without burning fossil fuels. Their 42-foot GibSea sailboat was powered by electricity and solar energy, the couple said.
“It is to show that you can travel, and you can do long distances without burning fossil fuels, without climbing onto a plane and filling the air with carbon dioxide,” Mr. Clibbery said.
>>
>>2757010
>boomers die
>zoomers seethe
>>
>>2757010
Are you trying to say that their batteries and solar panels are responsible for their deaths after just 7 days of sailing?
No reason a solar system and batteries would not do for such a trip that I can see.
>>
>>2757010
Roe Jogan on the right
>>
>>2757010
I think their boat caught fire. Idk why they keep saying it was something else. Ofcourse the journalists are braindead and haven't wrote on any useful information, only some of the articles even mention where the raft was found. Doesn't say if they had an EPIRB, how old the bodies were, nothing. Journalists are retarded
>>
>>2757010
I ain't reading allat
>>
>>2757104
You're not supposed to actually be informed, just have a simplistic knee-jerk reaction to reinforce whatever ideas you already held. In this case probably
>boomers bad
>green energy bad
>global warming hoax
>>
>>2757159
Yes I'm sure the NYT are heavily against global warming. Retard
>>
>>2757329
as in against it being real
>>
File: Wind down.jpg (342 KB, 754x567)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>2757010
Don't forget to renew your renewables
>>
>>2757010
>Do people not understand that producing the raw material for and then manufacturing batteries and solar panels itself consumes fossil fuels?
Everyone knows this, and it’s not an argument against electric power being more efficient in the end still.
>>
>>2757566
The arguments for electric power NEVER EVER take into account the energy costs of mining the ingredients for and manufacturing the batteries. NEVER.

It's always just "well look this isn't burning fossil fuels". Electric cars are produced by fossil fuels, refueled via fossil fuels, they are much heavier they are just SLIGHTLY QUIETER.
>>
>>2757500
Man I wish that was oil sands or radioactive waste instead
>>
>>2757104
Their boat caught fire? What's the skinny on that? I didn't see it in the article.

If they were so detached from reality to believe they could 'save carbon emissions' or some such bullshit, then I could see how their electric boat system was wired improperly, unsafely, and that caused a short/fire and burnt it down. You didn't say electrical fire, but that's the suspicion I am going with.
>>
>>2757594
Radioactive waste is a non-issue.
Burying literal tons of plastic waste from shitty inefficient wind farms is an actual fucking issue, not to mention the widespread destruction of nature when building those farms.
Fuck wind power.
Find a way to harness tidal waves for energy, and use nuclear until then.
>>
>>2757593
>fossil fuels grow on trees and don't have to be extracted and also never cause pollution
>>
>>2757605
>Radioactive waste is a non-issue.
Cool, we can bury it in your garden then.
>>
>>2757606
I'm not saying fossil fuels are wonderful, I'm saying electric cars and vehicles save no energy whatsoever, they are simply quieter, MUCH more expensive, and offer far lower energy density per pound.
>>
>>2757607
Not an argument you brainlet retard.
We have more than enough empty space for some lead lined concrete silos.
The amount of waste per GW for nuclear is miniscule compared to the impact of damn near any other energy source available to us with today's tech.
>>
>>2757611
Why not your garden? It's not an issue, right?
>>
>>2757612
Why are you being dishonest and not discussing the topic?
Is it because you are a <70 iq retard?
A single fuel rod produces more power than the turbine blades buried in that picture above.
What do you think will have the most negative impact on nature and the future for mankind?
>>
>>2757609
>they are simply quieter
That's already a big bonus. And they also reduce air pollution. You know, the stuff you breathe.
>>
>>2757614
You are dodging the question.
>>
>>2757615
>And they also reduce air pollution. You know, the stuff you breathe.
no they don't
they just produce pollution elsewhere downstream in the mining manufacturing and recharging process

>big bonus
outweighed heavily by the downsides
>>
>>2757619
Fossil fuel cars cause pollution during manufacturing and during use. Electric cars only during manufacturing.
>>
>>2757617
No, I'm ignoring your deflection, since you are a dishonest faggot, and you should probably kill yourself.
>>
>>2757621
Let me rephrase so you can understand better: If radioactive waste is a non-issue, why can't we dispose of it near you?
>>
>>2757623
If plastic is a non-issue, why don't you eat it?
Here, I replied as sincerely as you, now get to killing yourself.
I'll even answer your dishonest attempt at deflection, because I don't want an ugly concrete structure to fuck up my view, you can live next to it without radioactivity being an issue.
>>
>>2757624
>If plastic is a non-issue
I never claimed that.
>because I don't want an ugly concrete structure to fuck up my view
Oh, so it is an issue then?
>>
>>2757625
By that logic everything man-made is an issue, which I tend to agree with to a certain extent.
You started that shit when I pointed out how it's a non-issue (hyperbole, have to specify that since you are low functioning autistic) compared to many other energy sources.
>>
>>2757010
Obvious suicide. Learn to infer from circumstances
>>
>>2757630
You claimed that it is a non-issue, which is false. I merely asked a question that you kept dodging.
>>
>>2757634
No, you went giga autist mode, because you are an actual retard.
>>
>>2757500
on one hand we have:
>land fills
on the other hand we have:
>massive mines, vast industrial complexes, pollution/highly dangerous waste
Renewables are unequivocally the better option.
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/bant/20838137

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.