[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: NYPICHPDPICT000012587636.jpg (1.12 MB, 2000x1333)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
You guys do realize that there is no escape from the expanse and eventual control by the technological system don't you? You can run for a short time but you can't hide. Outdoors and homesteading etc. are ultimately just temporary escapes. Most of the globe after all was a wilderness where these kind of lifestyles were possible for most people and due to the expansion of technological civilization there is little wilderness left. Wilderness escape is only available to a relative few for economic and practical reasons. The system will continue to expand. How many of you guys agree with Ted Kaczynski that a revolutionary anti-tech movement like wilderness front (www.wildernessfront.com) should force an end to the technosystem and save wilderness from ravaging and control and eventual extinction? If there is no wilderness left there is no freedom left.
>>
>>2757469
I've been pressed on the whole "well why don't you just go innawoods yourself and leave us alone" thing a few times. After a few words, people usually admit that it's basically a suicide mission unless you're with at least a band of people. I think even Ted had to make the occasional trip to town for necessities.

Even then, we always hear of new previously uncontacted tribes all the time and the result is always a transformation in the direction of technological progress. It's only a matter of time for simple life styles to become impossible or transformed.
>>
>>2757471
The big problem there is people hate psychological conflict--they absolutely despise having to face up to disturbing truths. So they block them out of their mind. They invent all kinds of silly, irrational, and ridiculous justifications or arguments as to why you are wrong and the wilderness will always be available to them in the same way. And they can act absolutely viciously to anyone who threatens their to pop their little psychological comfort bubble.
>>
>>2757469
Nothing short of a unified, worldwide, anti-tech revolt would thrust us back to the primitive/harmonious life within wilderness we used to have. Even then, we would be dealing with the industrial fallout for many centuries after the fact while also gradually losing the technical knowledge of how to mitigate the damage along the way. Any regression would have to be extremely gradual, so gradual that over many generations the sentiment of "going back" will inevitably be lost, and we just fall back into our old habits.
Basically, the time and opportunity to "go back" passed us over a long, long time ago. The only way out is through, technological progress must continue, but with an emphasis on environmental sustainability for any new tools developed while also addressing issues inherent to our current ones. I don't think that technological/industrial progress necessarily have to be mutually exclusive, although I accept the possibility of this being wishful thinking.

Of course, I don't know how to do any of that. I'm just some guy.
>>
>"Noooo let me pick and choose what technoloigies I like!"

It's either everything or nothing, you can't criticize tech and then go use a hammer to build your wood shack. Progress is inevitable so it's better to accept that and mitigate the damage it causes than throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The industrial revolution was a net good for humanity, it's failure was in the system it was created during.
>>
>>2757479
>It's either everything or nothing
ok sperg
>>
>>2757472
there isnt a wilderness revolution to get away from tech
people bring fucking entire computers and emulators consoles hunting and camping.
Shit there is a thread of pekple watching anime outside in the wilderness on a projector.

The wilderness revolution exists to get away from obssesive autistic retards like you who stay in the same spot for literally 10 years while a normal non-terminally online person does a shit ton in the span of a year.
>>
>>2757479
There is a dividing line that is easy to understand. Here, straight from ISAIF:

"We distinguish between two kinds of technology, which we will call small-scale technology and organization-dependent technology. Small scale technology is technology that can be used by small-scale communities without outside assistance. Organization-dependent technology is technology that depends on large-scale social organization. We are aware of no significant cases of regression in small-scale technology. But organization-dependent technology does regress when the social organization on which it depends breaks down."
>>
>>2757484
cop-out. your evading the main points.
>>
>>2757486
keep telling yourself it's a cop out dude.
People are gonna keep bringing their nintendo switches and kindles camping with them while you seethe about how you wasted the year playing anime games when you could have been enjoying nature durinv the day and reading a book or watching a movie before bed at night. The seetheing still wont make them want to be around chris-chan
>>
>>2757469
I ain't reading allat
>>
File: laterfag.jpg (195 KB, 703x556)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>2757488
At least read the image, anon. Does big chungus Elon saying something make something inside of you tingle? The OP is a literal paragraph. Ted was right.
>>
>>2757475
>we would be dealing with the industrial fallout for many centuries after the fact

Nature takes care of itself. The scars will heal in time. And whatever "industrial fallout" you refer to won't be everywhere and ever present.

>Any regression would have to be extremely gradual

No. A rapid collapse is far more likely, and anyway it's the only practical human course of action.

>The only way out is through, technological progress must continue

This is a dangerous delusion. There is no such thing as "through" technological progress. it's just a continual and continual digging a hole deeper and deeper into the abyss until humanity no longer exists or the biosphere is devastated. This explains the Fermi paradox: the reason we havn't heard from any extraterrestrial life despite the billions of planets in the universe is because all technological systems collapse because there is a process fundamental to technological growth that inevitably leads to collapse.
>>
>>2757469
I am fine with either an anarcho-primitive society, or a transhumanist society. Either is fine, but nothing else. Just those two.

You could say I have a penchant for the 'tism.
>>
>>2757485
Organized society is still an inevitability, it's in our genes to form community which will always evolve back into civilization. Even if we did set arbitrary rules and about what tools and discoveries are and aren't allowed there is still no way to physically regulate it across tribes.

We will never not progress so instead of trying to deny that on a civilizational level time would be better spent accepting that fact and regulating versus destroying. More good would come out of rapidly moving to sustainability than it would eliminating the entire global economy. The problem isn't the iPad it's the fact that landfills are full of iPads that were overproduced and couldn't be sold (yes I'm are iPads are part of the problem but it's an example). If people learned about the amount of waste we deliberately created they would be dumbstruck.
>>
>>2757499
>will always evolve back into civilization

ok, fine. but you can VASTLY limit the damage caused to wild nature and human nature by limiting the power and scope of civilization. After industrial civilization collapses there are a number of reasons why it could never be rebuilt again, if nothing else because the basic resources have already been exhausted and any further resources need advanced organization-dependent tech to get to economically in the first place, so it becomes a catch-22 after collapse.

That it the point Kaczynski is trying to make: you SHOULD NOT change human nature. All that can be done is to limit the MEANS (i.e. the technology) with which organizations can manipulate humans and impact the environment away from the conditions to which humans have been adapted over the course of millions of years to best thrive both physically and psychologically.
>>
>>2757502
You underestimate humanity, consciousness is like a virus that can't help but reproduce itself. We could exhaust every ounce of coal on the planet and the next generation would find whole new source of carbon to pump into the atmosphere. Drive, desire, growth, community, those are all fundamental aspects to human nature that inevitably lead to industrialized society no matter what you do.

I'm not trying to say 'give up' or 'stop complaining', that would be stupid and reductive. What I'm saying is that these are inherent aspects of humanity and we need to both accept, and work around. Whether it's communism or capitalism humans will organize themselves into a hierarchy so it's better to rip that philosophical bandaid off now and ask how we can maneuver it into complete sustainability.

As humans we split the atom and went from being completely grounded to launching flaming chunks into space in only 60 years, we're this fucking smart and we can't figure out a way to live within our means? That's horseshit, we just don't WANT to because it might mean some of us have to give up some of our treats.
>>
>>2757517
>Drive, desire, growth, community, those are all fundamental aspects to human nature that inevitably lead to industrialized society no matter what you do.

False. All of those things were satisfied, and satisfied much better, for thousands upon thousands of years for humanity prior to industry and civilization. Saying that those things inevitably lead to industrial civilization is just a religious self-serving teleology. it's no different from any civilization in the past thinking that all historical roads led to it, and it was the apex of everything humans desired.
>>
>ITT: ted speds drinking CIA jizz
kek.
>>
>>2757526
Satisfaction will always give way to hunger, that's what it means to be a living thing. It's also important to remember that life was suffering for a majority of humanity for most of our history instead of most of humanity like today. Yes there are things that were taken from us through industrialization but there are far smarter people who have written far more about that than Tedrick has. Beyond everything else Ted was a very angry man who resented the society he couldn't acclimate to because of his life experiences and lashed out because of it. Ted was a VERY intelligent man but his manifesto was incredibly surface level, it's full of things that SOUND right and strikes an emotional chord but it's far too short to have any real merit.

Also yes, all historical roads lead to all civilizations, they were all the apex of everything humans desired. Like any ecosystem civilization is a result of generations and cultural exchanges built on top of each other.
>>
>>2757540
>life was suffering for a majority of humanity for most of our history instead of most of humanity like today

Can you clarify what you said here please? I'd like to respond to you but I'd first like to understand exactly what you're saying.
>>
>>2757562
Basically that 95% of humanity lived in some sort of squalor and sufferering for a majority of our history compared to the last hundred years where it's more like 70%. Of course suffering
can be a subjective term but the crux of my point is that overall happiness is higher compared to a thousand years ago. Also don't stress about a reply because I'm going to bed and won't be able to see it until tomorrow anyway.
>>
>>2757565
>squalor and sufferering

See now you're just regurgitating tired old tropes. Reliable anthropology has pretty much debunked these topes, but they get repeated because they serves a psychological purpose.

"The Pirahãs show no evidence of depression, chronic fatigue, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, or other psychological ailments common in many industrialized societies." …

"I have never heard a Pirahã say that he or she is worried. In fact, so far as I can tell, the Pirahãs have no word for worry in their language. One group of visitors to the Pirahãs, psychologists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Brain and Cognitive Science Department, commented that the Pirahãs appeared to be the happiest people they had ever seen."

-Daniel Everett, "Don't Sleep There Are Snakes" (2009) p. 278

Here we found a few Snake Indians comprising 6 men 7 women and 8 or
10 children who were the only Inhabitants of this lonely and secluded spot.
They were all neatly clothed in dressed deer and Sheep skins of the best
quality and seemed to be perfectly contented and happy. …I almost wished
I could spend the remainder of my days in a place like this where happiness
and contentment seemed to reign in wild romantic splendor….

-Osborne Russell, "Journal of a Trapper" (1965) pp. 26-27

The Mbuti "were a people
who had found in the forest something that made their life more than
just worth living, something that made it, with all its hardships and problems
and tragedies, a wonderful thing full of joy and happiness and free
of care.”

-Colin Turnbull "Forest People" (1962) p. 26

"Thus the pygmies stand before us as one of the most natural of human
races, as people who live exclusively in accord with nature and without any
violation of their organism. In this they show an unusually sturdy naturalness
and heartiness, an unparalleled cheerfulness and freedom from care."

-Paul Schebesta, Bambuti-Pygmäen vom Ituri (1938) p. 73

one could go on and on...
>>
>>2757496
>No. A rapid collapse is far more likely, and anyway it's the only practical human course of action.
Relax, there will be a collapse, probably this century.
We will all die, and the last free people have already been born.
The future is hell, techno dystopia hell, then a collapse and if there are survivors, they'll repeat the cycle from whatever technological age humanity regressed to.
>>
>>2757603
Anecdotal evidence that is romanticizing poverty.
>>
>>2757469
I like living in a civilized, technologically advanced society.
>>
>>2757610
if it were merely a few then a point could be made, but instead this is a consistent repeated trend observed in all primitive cultures. Your "poverty" comment shows you a sucker for the "standard of living" myth. the way that works is the industrial system simply defines a higher standard of living as being only those things it can provide and then it "discovers" that the standard is increasing. If instead of iphones and refrigerators and cars etc. you judge standard of living in freedom, fulfillment, dignity, clear flowing streams, abundant wildlife, tranquility and solitude of vast meadows and forests, etc. etc., then our standard of living is falling very, very rapidly.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.