[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New anti-spam measures have been applied to all boards.

Please see the Frequently Asked Questions page for details.

[Advertise on 4chan]

talk about ruckz and packz
>>
anyone got experience with the granite gear chief patrol pack?
the side pockets seem shit because they've got a narrow opening and are top access only so stuff gets piled on top of each other

anyway, what's your favorite ruck design type?

after having tried various my favorite design is:

>main top loading bag with clamshell opening
>outer pockets, either torpedo tubes or just pockets
>top lid with pockets
>bottom compartment for sleeping bag
>internal pockets like on MR packs that help you organize stuff

maybe if you have enough outer storage you can forego a top lid like the MALICE pack does

overall my favorite are the 6500/tactiplane and the smaller SATL, the Gregory spear UM21 seems nice too but I've never tried it
>>
>>2760066
I don't know where to start and don't mind spending a moderate amount of money on a pack (buy it once mentality).
>solo 3-4 days
>rainy+snow
>carry ~40lbs
I've been training with a normal back pack loaded with junk but feel like I should be using a better one before I injure myself. Whats the go-to?
>>
>>2760070
what's your use case
>>
>>2760070
There isn’t really a go-to brand, but there are designs that are almost ubiquitous. Top loading with a flap is more common than clamshell, rear entry, or roll top. Internal frames are more popular than external or frameless. Hip belts are on nearly all packs over ~25L. Side pockets are on almost everything as well.

A few features I really like:
>hip belt pockets
It’s great having things close buy but more secure than a pants pocket.
>shoulder strap pockets
Big enough for a 1/2L water bottle. Also used for an umbrella.
>trapeze-style suspension
Very common in Osprey packs, but a few other manufacturers use it as well. It’s really comfortable and breathes better than any other design of internal frames.
>stretchy front pocket
Very handy in cool weather for a fleece or puffy. Also pretty ubiquitous among non-LARP packs.
>compression straps that go under the side pockets
If they pass over the side pockets it’s a deal breaker.
>>
>>2760077
For now short overnights but I'm building up to a multi week hike in the spring. Currently i carry a normal high quality backpack without internal support or a waist strap filled with weight. Goal is the bruce trail. Trail total is 900km but I doubt I'll have the time off to do it all in one shot.
If it matters.
>6'
>210lbs
>35
>fairly fit
>>
File: IMG_5723.jpg (497 KB, 682x1088)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>2760078
Here’s an example: the Gregory Focal
>48L
>top loader
>brain flap with two pockets
>internal frame
>trampoline suspension
>big side pockets accessible from the top or front
>side compression straps under the side pockets
>big stretchy rear pocket
>big hip belt pockets
>max load advertised as 35lbs
There are fewer pockets which sacrifices convenience for weight and durability. The pack is something like 40oz, which isn’t exactly ultralight but definelty light weight.
>>
>>2760078
>>2760083
Thanks anon, screenshotted for later.
>>
File: E3.jpg (83 KB, 2048x1362)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I want a smaller rucksack
What do you think is better between these two
https://www.militarykit.com/products/highlander-eagle-3-backpack-40l-olive-green

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountain-hiking-backpack-40l-mh500/_/R-p-310102?mc=8786745&c=camel%20brown_carbon%20grey
>>
File: IMG_5725.jpg (349 KB, 732x831)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>2760066
“assault rifle”
>nooooo! It’s a long sporting rifle! “Assault rifle” is ju/st a made up liberal media political term! There’s no such thing as an “assault rifle.”

“assault backpack”
Pic rel
>>
>>2760107
what
>>
i use an Osprey Aether for shorter trips, Karrimor SF sabre 60-90 with the rocket pods for longer hikes, Patagonia black hole as a daily carry
>>
>>2760129
>Patagonia black hole

is that the fanny pack?

I like fanny packs for their utility but they look gay so i dont use them usually
>>
File: 20240731_211509.jpg (1.73 MB, 4000x1848)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
>>2760157
No, its around 32L if I remember right, and thankfully I live in a for world, developed nation, so "looking gay" is not a concern, so I will wear my fanny pack, thank you very much!
>>
File: IMG_20240731_233908.jpg (42 KB, 657x635)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Anyone ever used a ruck-seat?
I was looking for a small backpack so i can keep my smaller hunting gear organized and grab it quickly when i'm heading out. Then i came across pic related on the decathlon website.
I would probably detach the frame/seat for stalking or hunting from a stand, and reattach it for waterfowling. I'll never do any long distance trekking.
>>
What about externals? Kinda want to get a kelty super Tioga and carry 70 pounds of gear.
>>
>>2760159
sounds gay to me
>>
whats a legit price for the Gregory spear UM21 complete set with all the bells and whistles ?
>>
>>2760066
Test
>>
>>2760189
Consumers started switching to internals in the late 90’s as gear got much lighter and more compact. At the time, internal frame packs were geared more toward climbing than hiking. Internals and externals (and frameless) all have pros and cons. Neither is the right or wrong choice until you really look at its intended use.

The load of an internal frame pack rides lower on your back. This makes it more stable anytime you have to do any scrambling or climbing around obstacles.

Because external frame packs can have the load sit much higher, larger loads can remain inline with your center of gravity. While heavy loads are easier to carry, the trade off is the added height means anything out of normal hiking (scrambling, climbing, crawling, etc.) becomes much more unstable.
>>
What is this brand?
>>
>>2760213
>>2760213
Havent had to do any scrambling or climbing but I can think of a couple times where I had to crouch real damn and even crawl. Hard to predict sometimes because I don't always know the condition of some trails.

I definitely want to carry more gear comfortably. Last time I was out I was using my kelty coyote 85l with roughly 50 pounds and it was getting quite uncomfortable after a few hours. And I wanted to carry another 10 but I just ran out of room (mid fall so I had decent amount of clothing taking up space).
>>
>>2760078
>There isn’t really a go-to brand
Osprey? The brand that majority of hikers use or started out with?
>>
Any bag like GoRuck GR1 but with waterbottle holder?
>>
Looking for the following:
>40-60 liters.
>strong durable shoulder straps (my old ones' are this "breathable" sponge like material that is becoming quite loose. So looking for something thicker, akin to packs common 10 plus years ago)
>hip belt POCKETS! VIP for me.
>sleeping bag compartment at the bottom
>bottle holder that does not loose shape after 2 years (fuck that loose elastic shit on the market currently what the fuck)
>customizable back length or available in multiple sizes
>comes with rain cover
>ability to strap or clip loads of stuff to (helmet, mat mostly)
>strong stitching all around
>>
File: IMG_5742.jpg (186 KB, 1414x1422)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>2760110
The people telling you to buy a “36 hour assault backpack” are the same people telling you there’s no such thing as an assault rifle. It’s kind of funny. Meme needs text but I’m lazy.
>>
>>2760491
>he doesn't know about official nomenclatures
Next time educate yourself instead of wasting your time half-assing memes
>>
>>2760523
Wait, “assault pack” is an official name? I thought that only appleid to parts of the ILBE backpack and not just any random tacticool bag.
>>
>>2760070
Just go to REI and get their starter bundle for the tent and have them fit you for a backpack so you get the right one. Just get kind of what they suggest because even if they're sales people, they probably know better than you do.

Between those, food, and other random goods, you'll be looking at between 800 - 1k USD everything you need besides the cold weather clothes, but you probably already own those. Another 500 - 700 for the pistol to give you peace of mind to sleep at night. From there, it's just gas money essentially. Treat it like it's a vacation. If you were staying four nights somewhere all inclusive, it would probably be not shy of 1000 dollars, Except 70% of what you are carrying is reusable, so the more you go, the better the value of it all is.

Don't try to cheapen out on gear; a helicopter ride off of the mountain is soooo much more expensive than the price difference between a shitty walmart bag and a decent REI one. Get a 3 liter water bladder so you don't die and bring something to purify water with.

That's it basically. I know I sound like an REI shill, but they basically set you the fuck up if you're willing to drop a thousand on a new hobby.
>>
File: pack.jpg (3.78 MB, 3024x4032)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
okay so i need advice anons. so i bought this $40 pack on amazon because i dont go hiking too much so it's hard for me to justify over $100 on gear. it did it's job but the straps were so tight on my shoulders that it felt like it was cutting off circulation in my arms. i was carrying 5L of water because I wasn't really near any streams and was about 20km (12 miles) away from water. obviously getting used to your pack comes with experience or whatever but never really got used to it through that whole duration. so basically what i'm asking here is tips on keeping a light pack (food etc) and and tips on how to set up my pack so maybe weight distribution is less of a bitch. I'm more of a sleeping bag under the stars kind of guy but i wanted to test my new 1 man tent in case mosquitoes were bad so feel free to judge.
>>
File: lionshead111.png (1.92 MB, 1279x956)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
>>2760079
>>2760575
love that, anon here and just took my pack on the lions head trail - absolutely beautiful. been looking into doing the full bruce trail next year possibly. basically test running my gear til i figure shit out. my recommendation is go around late august-september because the black flies will eat your ass alive

picrel
>>
I'm biased towards Osprey. They're worth the price. I have 3 of their packs and I still have had the same 65L Atmos one I use for all my backpacking trips since 2015. It's an amazing backpack. Lifetime warranty but in my experience I've beaten the shit out of it and it is still holding up strong. Just don't leave it out in the heat of your garage and you'll be set
>>
>>2760901
Does any of their 50l packs meets these criteria in
>>2760474
?
>>
File: 20190303_234649.jpg (278 KB, 850x1370)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
HMG Winderider. Tough pack, waterproof. Got mine in 2017 still great condition. Back then they were made in Maine now they do it in Mexico. Still better than any of the euro chink gear posted in here
>>
>>2760186
Yeah mine was a Christmas gift and it was uncomfortable as fuck because of the way the seat frame sits on your back. I wouldn’t want to carry it more than a mile honestly.
>>
>>2760528
An assault pack and a ruck are different things. An assault pack is a basic light load backpack with no frame in it and molle webbing for modularity purposes. It’s not designed to carry a full combat load because it’s a day pack. Basic military rucks all have frames because they’re supposed to carry 100+ lbs of shit and they’re designed to carry everything you are going to need to take over a compound or setup an observation point or whatever and hold the bitch for a week or two or whenever they bring resupply in. One is for aggressive lightweight mobility and yes is the actual nomenclature that was on my inventory sheets. The other is designed for sustained operations. So yeah. You’re kind of a faggot nogunz neverserved that posts retarded memes that are wrong. Also assault rifles are select fire. So you’re a double faggot.
>>
>>2760940
The ones from 10 years ago yes, not sure about the ones in 2024. I bought one of their 30L packs last year and it isn't as thick on the padding as the older ones. If you can find one on Ebay from like around 2016 that should be fine. They come in multiple sizes. The hip belt on mine is very thick. You can always go to REI and try them on in person then buy online if you find it cheaper
>>
>>2761090
Cringe. GI Joe LARP fags are the absolute worste.
>neverserved
NTA but I didn't have any trouble in high school so I didn’t need to join the Army.
>>
>>2760575
>tips on keeping a light pack (food etc) and and tips on how to set up my pack so maybe weight distribution is less of a bitch
Take the green bag from the bottom of the pack and see if you can secure it on the top, under the flap. This brings it closer to you, and more inline with your center of gravity. It might not be possible; it may shift around too much.

Leave the chair at home and sit on a log. Or get a cheap closed cell foam pad and cut off a square to use as a sit pad.

Replace that aerosol can of bug spray with a small pump bottle. Use Smart Water bottles if you’re not already. Small stuff like that adds up.

Not sure what you’re bringing for food, but canned and ready-to-eat stuff is generally pretty heavy, comparatively. The downside to preparing backpacking food is that you usually need water. Fresh food is nice but again the calorie density isn’t as high as things like instant rice and tuna pouches.
>>
I'm looking for a daypack that can also serve as a daily use for commuting, school, work so inner compartment for PC is a plus

>24-30L
>Water-resistant or -proof
>Chest and hip straps
>Preferably enough outer pockets
>Water-bladder compatible
>(Black)

I know it's a big ask, but I'd really appreciate of anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm used to Osprey so that kind of comfort is a plus, I'm a tall boy :( so my back is prone to pains and aches.

Also, eurofag :^)
>>
File: mienspine.jpg (27 KB, 500x373)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
fuckin gay amateur's.
>>
File: IMG_5769.jpg (977 KB, 725x1102)
977 KB
977 KB JPG
>>2762490
I know it’s just a silly post but I’d mentioned how someone should move their tent to the top of their pack so as to keep it closer to their center of gravity. Your pic shows why. The load is further from the wearer than it should be, creating a lot of leverage that works against him. Here’s a pic of a Sherpa carrying a similar size load but over his center of gravity (or at least closer).
>>
>>2761279
the little tent thing at the bottom, i ended up just leaving it at home and sleeping on my pad and sleeping bag. but I will take into account putting it at the top

>cheap closed cell foam pad

I'll absolutely look into one of these, so much of my pack space was taken up by my air mattress/pad thing, probably wasnt good for center of gravity.

>bug spray

i was looking into getting a smaller spray bottle of witchhazel, unsure if anyone has had good luck with this. mosquitoes weren't terrible but there were clouds of black flies that were awful.

>food

so I just brought a lot of snacks like protein bars, pop tarts, beef jerky shit like that. then for an actual meal i just packed up half a pizza since it was an overnighter lol. I'll definitely look into better food options though. I think bringing water there's no just way around it being annoying to bring but I was refilling a smart water bottle.

I think an actual problem I have is that my bag was maybe too small for me, the chest straps couldn't really go across my chest and I'm not a fatass or anything (6'3 - 195lbs.) Ergonomics like that probably just add up too, maybe it's just smarter I get a better pack? Unsure.
>>
>>2762490

>not using the Flextrek 37,000,000,000,000 Whipsnake edition by Steve Climber
>not intimidating your surroundings
ngmi
>>
File: IMG_5774.jpg (288 KB, 700x1860)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>2763279
You can get little pump spray bottles of DEET or picaradin in the US. DEET definetly works for black flies.

If the pack is very cheap, it might be designed for the Asian market. Asian people are a lot smaller than Westerners. It’s a common issue with clothing, and the problem probably Lu Carrie’s over to packs.
>>
Eurofag here,

Just bought myself in Decathlon a NH Arpenaz 900. I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

Pic related.
>>
>>2763437
looks neat, decthlon has some decent gear for cheap, i always grab a few t shirts when im at one, make sure to get a SAK sportsman next time
>>
>>2760901
this design?
>>
>>2760940
NTA.
Several have a separate compartment for a sleeping bag, while most will have hip belt pockets and come in various sizes. Many have adjustable harnesses as well.

But very few are designed for attaching random items to the outside of the pack. They’ll just about all have ice axe loops, and a bunch have a way to store trekking poles while wearing the pack. And a few have places to store helmets, and they probably make some specifically for skis or snowboards. But you won’t find many with molle webbing or anything similar.
>>
>>2763311
basically.
>>
File: miltec.jpg (791 KB, 1702x1169)
791 KB
791 KB JPG
>>2760066
I've been using this cheap bitch for the past 3 months and I'm honestly really surprised at how good this thing is. I expected it to be pure chinesium ready to fall apart within the first two weeks, but this damn thing is solid.
The straps are padded and really comfortable after I broke them in a bit. And after I added a chest strap, the weight distribution feels really nice because most of the weight goes to the hips and the backpack doesn't sag like a bag of potates.
The compartments are solid and the sizes are optimal for my needs. The only thing I'd add to one of the smaller compartments would be a sealable hole for a cable or something to charge my phone from a powerbank whenever I'm out somewhere. I'll probably make a velcro one myself in the near future.
Packed it for a 3 day trip once, I'd say it's alright, nothing exceptional.
The side panels for molle attachments are nice, I added a water bottle holder and a little bag, super useful if you don't want something squished in the main compartments.

So if somebody has a bit of pocket money and doesn't know where to start, I'd say one of these or a brandit pack are a solid choice. If you're able to look past the tacticool aspect or if you like the look, go for it.
>>
>>2761264
>is wrong
>doubles down on being wrong
lol
>>
Just bought one of these.
Have I been meme'd or are they good?
>>
>>2764748
I've had a brandit which is basically the same shit for 4 years so far and it's good for what it is. Good for EDC in a city and weekend trips. Any type of tears and damage I just melt with a lighter and it's good to go. Bought it back in high school so it went through books, moldy food, laptops, etc. etc.
>>
>>2764776
Why don't you try the backpack you bought and tell us?
>>
>>2765889
Was waiting for it to be delivered. Have got it now and have mixed feelings about it
>Capacity is great, expands to 80l so I can fit my tent inside with the rest of my gear rather than strapping it to the outside
>Pretty comfortable, have not taken it out on a hike yet though so can't really say yet
>Fairly cheap at 160 bongbux
>Big side pockets seem like they will be useful
>Lightweight
>Hip strap zip pockets are nice
But
>No bottom straps for attaching a tent to the outside
>Elastic on the side pockets and water bottle pockets is pretty loose, and the pocket material feels like it might rip easily
>Shoulder strap pouches are pretty small, might be useful for burgers who need to carry bear spray. I find them a bit annoying
>Zips feel good quality but can get caught on the material
>I may have a manufacturing defect on mine - the top zip pocket has a gap at the back so it connects to the main compartment, looks like it hasn't been sewn up. I'm leaving today though so I don't have time to get it fixed
>>
I own 10 backpacks between big rucks and day packs and middle ones for a total spend of around 1500€, but they're value is around 2500/3000 so that's nice
>>
File: 1680856193661064.jpg (96 KB, 1023x1024)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>2760066
I need a good backpack for travel that I can use as a personal item bag (13''x17''x6'') during my flight.
Initially I was looking at a Fjallraven Kaken Laptop 17 but after some thought I think it looks gay as fuck so this is why I'm asking you guys today.

>Budget: around 200.

I would love a bag that opens up like a carry-on and preferably something reasonably rugged and water resistant.

Some people around me suggested the Cotopaxi Allpa 28L and the Patagonia Mini MLC.
>>
>>2762354
Osprey Downburst is worth looking at. I saw one in a store a few days ago. It was a 36, which is a weird size.
>>
convince not to just buy a cheap surp ALICE and put a garbage bag over it if it's gonna rain
aside from the strap and pad replacement which is kinda mandatory for anything extended or heavy, it really is justwerks
>>
>>2766054
it's too late, i did it
>>
>>2766054
Put the trash bag inside. Let the pack get wet. Pack covers don’t work as well as liners.
>>
>>2766096
everything inside will already be in garbage bags or dry bags, that's a given
>>
>>2766054
it doesnt matter if an alice gets wet, it will just dry out later. also what other anon said about liners
>>
>>2760106
>over 1kg for 40L
lol
>>
For 4-5 day+ excursions: Karrimor vs Savotta Jakkari vs fixing my Large ALICE and getting better shoulder straps? I usually like hiking through some rougher country and I do not trust packs with "lightweight" fabrics.
>>
>>2765935
I own a deuter futura 26 which im quite happy with. The 27 liter version has a ziper while the 26 has a flap and drawsting opening to the main compartment. They have a ventilated backsystem which means its quite sturdy due to the frame. So you cant easily crunch it up and store it in tight spaces when empty. But if you dont need to do that its a good pack. Pleanty of used ones on eBay too in good conditions
>>
>>2766054
ALICE shit takes way too long to pack and unpack and if you are with people they will hate you for it lol
>>
>>2761090
Okay boot. Chill tf out. Less than 1% of the population ever serve and getting pissy in your pants because they don't have the SCIF issue nomenclature memorized like you do is unsupervised private behavior. Go find your sergeant and tell him where the civvy hurt your feefees and I'm sure he will gladly give you something productive to do.
>>
>>2767329
I have both alice (medium, large and the "not an ALICE" version they stopgapped the frst Molle with) and Jäkkari XL.
Alice wins most of the time, since the Jäkkari is just to tall. Can't wear a hat with it, it get's stuck on branches, blocks my sight towards the back, and because of how the waistbelt adjusters are positioned, I can't use the molle loops on there without making the adjusters unuseable.

The two larger Alices do sway side-to-side though, which the Jäkkari doesnt. So on treacherous footing, the Jäkkari has an advantage (as long as there's no obstacles around head height, that is).

For better shoulder straps, the military issue ones from the not-an-alice are alright. On the other two packs, I use ones from Okinawa tactical, together with the waistbelt (and on the medium, their welded magnesium frame). All of that are basically copies of tactical tailor stuff that they make for the marine jungle training camp before selling any leftovers to civilians. The waist belt and frame are great, the shoulder straps aren't really an improvement over the regular first-generation ones except that they allow me to use a sternum strap.
If you want to improve a stock alice, get a good waist belt, and if you have second generation shoulder straps (where the bottom parts are attached straight, and the padding is sewn through) get either first generation straps (padding not sewn through, and bottom attached at an angle) or straps from the MOLLE, FILBE, MALICE or the london bridge alice (which is the civilian variant of the not-an-alice that replaced the Molle 1 for a while). All of those straps are comparable, except that some have vertical molle for a sternum strap.
>>
File: IMG20230812112857.jpg (4.65 MB, 2250x3000)
4.65 MB
4.65 MB JPG
>>2763437
Decathlon backpacks are well thoughout, they need to get a bit lighter but overall great value for your money. This one looks great also !
After mine gave up I went with the Osprey Exos 48 (pic rel) for 140€ and it's really a light and comfy bag
>>
File: 20240605_185940.jpg (3.53 MB, 4608x2184)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
SOC bugout I bought in 2012 in lower left corner. Bought it in 2012. Fought in Afghanistan and Iraq with it on my back, then slummed it up in Europe for a few years after I got out. It's also been my go to pack for countless excursions in the Rockies. Got bored and had too much free time on my hands so I re-upped into the national guard for shits and giggles. It serves me well still to this day. I've done every bad thing you can possibly do to a pack in every conceivable environment and it hasn't ever failed me.

I hear that the newly produced versions of this model suck as they have dropped in quality but that's from one person I know who had a zipper break so idk how accurate that info is.
>>
>>2763437
>storing bedroll outside so it gets wet
>>
File: hpg1.png (2.87 MB, 1206x1183)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
Anyone have any bags from Hill People Gear? I know they aren't for ultralighters but I don't mind the extra weight; realistically I don't go more than a few nights at a time, I am bigger than most so I am used to it, and I normally carrier heavier than normal gear for my self, my friend(s) I am with when they pussy out, and my dog. Their load system, durability, modularity, and comfort from their harness seem to be the best. I was thinking of getting this one for my go to day hike bag as it would be perfect to fit everything I need for a long day of hiking with my dog, my dad when we go fly fishing, and keep enough extra gear and water for just in case areas (ie bear country and really remote hikes in said bear country). The only things that tickle my autism is it doesn't have a great way to route a bladder, and the big interior zipper with mesh pocket would be better if it was split into one smaller one up top, and then one bigger one instead of one large entire pocket. Furthermore, you pair it with their hip belts and I can quickly have my bear spray on hand and my 10mm on the other hip.
>>
File: hpg2.png (2.76 MB, 1236x1233)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB PNG
>>2769457
Also, if I do keep up with my backpacking and get more into it, I could use the same hip belt for this bag which is obviously geared for backpacking, not day hikes. I don't need their big decker frames as I don't big game hunt, but again, I do carry more gear than normal, and having a nice system to strap on fly poles, nets, and a bear canister with room to spare is really nice looking.
Question is, a lot of their bags seem to have reviews dating back over 4 years ago. Does HPG release newer versions/types every few years and should I wait? Or do they not really do new release that much.
>>
Question, Im a retard and not sure how to attach my mat, sleep bag and the tent to my backpack, the backpack is really basic with prox 30L so none of the stuff can go inside.
>>
I have a Kelty trekker, it works.
It's kinda wierd i would need to replace it with some UL space material pack to get a lighter pack of the same size.
>>
>>2769515
What sort of pack? on a military one, there's normally D-rings or loops (Alice, Molle etc) that you can pull straps through. Civi packs often have long straps on the top flap so you can put a rooll under there and cinch it tight.
>really basic with prox 30L so none of the stuff can go inside.
30L should be more than enoughduring summer. Even my largest milsurp setup (German shelter half, Carinthia Tropen bag, Finish sleeping mat) will fit into a 30L pack with enough space left for food and cooking utensils. Though the mat get's strapped under the lid, and my water bottle and filter go on the waist belt.
>>
>>2769536
Its an vintage looking backpack kinda similar to pic, has no rings/loops.
putting the mat under the packs roof is just fine but dont know what to with the rest, tried attaching it on top to the
handle with rope but it was ass.

>"just buy a better backpack loool"
No
>>
>>2768687
The back pack has a pocket in the bottom with a rain cover
>>
>>2760066
I use a US marine ruck sack. It does the job well and it’s tough enough to survive the shit I put it through.
>>
File: Camo.jpg (670 KB, 1920x1440)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
I am a fan of military surplus gear also. The US Army ACU UCP camo items are no longer used by the US Army and since a lot of people do not like the UCP camo pattern it is priced low. The 65 liter US Army rucksack in UCP with thick padded waist belt and padded shoulder straps and rigid plastic frame can be purchased for less than $100 at many milsurp websites. The packs are rugged and durable. They are heavier than most civilian packs.
I also have a US Army 3 day pack which is smaller than the full ruck. It is very rugged, durable and reasonably priced.
I also have an Alice pack in M81 woodland which is about a medium size.
>>
>>2769983
Since UCP is very light colored it also accepts dye well.
>>
>>2769551
>similar to pic
>has no rings/loops
You might want to get your eyes checked, cause hat pack does have loops. The straps for the top flap pass through them. There's only two, so you can't strap anything too heavy to them or it'll shake, but it should be enough for a sleeping mat. Then stick the tent under the flap, the sleeping bag on the inside (without the compression bag so it can use the space properly), your food on top of the sleeping bag and a change of clothes, toilet paper and shitshovel in the outside pockets. Water bottle goes on the belt (good idea anyways, in case you need to drop the bag due to damage or injury) and other emergency stuff (FAK, phone / radio) into pants pockets.
I'd also consider sewing some extra loops to the bottom and inbetween the top flap and the outside pockets, as strapping stuff to the top is really annoying when wearing a hat.
>>
Just had my first hike with Savotta Jääkäri XL (7 days) it was nice
>>
>>2769551
>"I preemptively stated the obvious solution and therefore it isn't valid haha gotcha!"

Just get a better backpack. The one you have is not suitable for what you want to do. That is my suggestion.
>>
>>2769551
Learn to sew. Top-shelf skill.
>>
>>2765935
There's a lot of YouTube "One bag Travel" based pages that might be worth looking at for ideas and reviews.
Example:
>https://youtu.be/d34tEgVCb4k?si=7fj5KJ0zZjKUsysA
>>
I mog you
>>
>>2765935
Mystery ranch has a nice selection of laptop bags in three sizes that have their three zip main opening and lots of great internal organization. I was gonna get one but they don't have it in a good color so the tism wouldn't let me .
>>
>>2770570
beautiful
>>
>>2770283
Based based based
Can't see needing more than a M tho. I 2 day out of my s, did 3 weeks in Japan out of it too
I guess if you have big gear or eat a ton of calories or no water access
>>
File: 20240901_224741.jpg (1.09 MB, 3024x4032)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
Going to want a bigger ultralight-ish pack for fall/winter, what's the hot new shit on the block?

Total weight never exceeds 25lbs just out of space

pic- pregananat pa'lante v2 with a 20F quilt and 1 day of food
>>
When do new bags get released? Want a new one soon but I see ton are discounted online so I don't mind waiting for a new release.
>>
>>2770677
>ultralight-ish
Check out the Gregory Focal. It’s 2.8lbs, so sort of straggling the line between ultralight and not.
>>
>>2771640
Yeah it's looking like something like the Gregory or similar "lighter-traditional" packs I could pick up from REI would be the best option since they're cheaper and can be returned, will stop by and give them a look

Not quite ready to drop $3-400 on an archaul or whatever just for 4 months of the year yet
>>
File: 1717495268966873.jpg (1 MB, 3000x4000)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>2766054
i did it
large ALICE, swapped straps and padding for MOLLE II, tied on a carryhandle, and swapped for actual buckles
water placement was initially a bit questionable but deflating the lower bladder a bit (~2.5L or so) makes it just feel like a lower lumbar support pad on an ergo chair or something and sits very nicely, much to my surprise
I expected the sales listing to be a medium ALICE, not large, so the actual pack itself is fairly underfilled

any other suggestions or recommendations?
>>
File: 1715405613774169.jpg (1.02 MB, 3000x4000)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>2771700
as for weight distro it actually feels quite nice, a hell of a lot better than my issued ruck, had to move my trauma kit out of the outside pocket and into the inner sustainment pouch which is questionable, but it was too much weight on the outermost pocket to justify
packing for a 5 day trip right now and it weighs in at 45lbs minus clothing (4 t-shirts, 1 other jacket, 1 other pair of pants, 6 pairs socks) so it'll likely come to 50lbs total including water weight
>>
File: Capture.png (247 KB, 850x542)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>2760066
First time getting a pack that's 50L+
Gregory Zulu 55 Pack
Klymit Motion 60
Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor 40-60 L
have good discounts on REI outlet. Does anyone have any of these? Not quite sure what to pick.
>pic related
>>
>>2771764
Gregory by leaps and bounds anon. The suspension system alone is light heads ahead of those other brands
>>
how big of a backpack do I want if I want to do a weekend trip?
so 2-3 days trip
will 30L be enough or do I want 45?
>>
>>2771836
Nobody on here can answer that for you, there are a million variables that can tip it either way.
Are you an ultralighter that carry the bare minimum?
What kind of climate are you in?
Tent? Hammock? A cardboard box?
Summer? Winter?
Assuming weight difference isn't huge, I'd go 45 over 30, you can compress the 45 over 30 liters of gear, putting 45 in a 30 liter bag is harder.
Personally, I can't make my 30 liter packs work for much more than daypacks, but I don't have super UL gear that takes no space, and I live in the deep arctic.
>>
>>2771836
In an effort to be somewhat helpful, going to assume three-season normal backpacking in Appalachia
I'd say 45 at least. If you had your gear dialed in to fit in 30L you'd know it.
If you're a true noob with a synthetic sleeping bag and a 4lb walmart tent, 45 is still going to be too small
>>
>anons in another thread swearing on
vintage outerframe packs
>finally find one on ebay that has (or had) really solid reviews and the seller wasn't selling it for an arm and a leg
>it actually doesn't look torn to hell or covered in mold

I hope they hype was worth it. Guy was super cool to sell it to me for the price he did, especially as the shipping on these things is always wild.
>>
>>2771836
If you have to ask then go with a 45L. As the other anon said, if you can fit everything in a 30L pack you’d already know it.
>>
>>2771836
Depends on climate, weather and skill level. I've done with less than 5l (pockets on cargo pants and a canteen pouch on a sling) in autumn, knowing there were plenty of springs to refill my water, and with around 100l (pack volume - I compressed it to about 50l, iirc) in the height of summer, carrying 15 or so liters of water, a few changes of clothes and a full tent.

I'd look at how big the military standard backpack (not the assault pack, but the one used for guerilla / hunting type combat) in your country is and start with that. Since you won't be carrying ammo, and probably will have somewhat smaller gear, you probably won't need the entire volume, but you certainly won't need more.

>>2771899
my proselytizing is bearing fruit, huh?
Some advice:

Leave the shoulder straps loose. If the waist belt is tight, all they do is stop the pack from tilting too far back. They're not meant to carry weight as on a frameless pack, though (on most packs) they can, if the waist belt should break.

Keep the space between frame and back free. Some people stick pads in there, but at that point, you might as wel use a internal frame. The main advantage of external frame vs. internal frame is that air gap, that let's your shirt dry somewhat and reduces rubbing and sore spots.

Don't strap stuff (machete, rifle etc) directly to one of the frame's sides. I know, retards who've enver gone out claim it works, but it'll cause stuff to flip inward and rub against your shoulder. For things like that, either strap to the pack (if you have loops like on an Alice / Molle) or tie a strap to the frame on both sides, pull it tight around the loaded pack, then strap to that.
>>
>>2771905
You think this will be enough padding? One of the big reasons I went for this pack over karrimor tote-em was the make of the padding, straps (and because the only karrimor available had a ton of mold and rips). I figured those double padded straps will feel good on the back.
>>
>>2771909
>You think this will be enough padding?
It's more than you need. That's about as much as you want when you're not using the waist belt, so it's nice to have, but you don't need it most of the time. The almost unpadded first-gen Alice straps are just as comfy the most recent civilian padded straps, for example.
As I wrote before, the straps don't actually carry any weight, they just compensate the forward - backward motion the pack makes when you walk and stop the pack from tilting backwards when it's not balanced. If you feel th traps pulling down, you need to either increase the distance between shoulder straps and waist belt, or loosen th shoulder straps.
On the heaviest loads I've carried so far (~30kg) I could still easily pull the straps of my shoulders with one finger.

I'd remove the back padding though. Once the pack is set up right, you won't need it unless you pack something hard and pointy in the very back of the pack, and if you leave it on, it'll probably make you sweat like a pig and rub just as uncomfortably as a backpack with an internal frame.

One thing that's important on these old packs is having the straps sewn crooked (unlike some reproductions, where the padding and the bottom part are connected in a straight line). Yours are, I just mention it in case you ever need to replace them.
Another thing is not having too much padding under the armpits. That's something packs for modern militaries (like most Modded ALICE / MALICE packs, for example) have, and it can cut off bloodflow. From the image, I don't think this'll be a problem with yours as on the one set I ahd this issue with, the padding continued down beyond the bend. But if you feel your arms start to tingle, thinner straps will help.
But those are both basic things that apply to any pack, it's just that on exoframes you can fix them instead of having to buy a different pack.
>>
>>2771924
Man, all this is really good advice. Wild how much thought goes into these packs, but at least it sounds like I more or less got a solid vintage one from what you've said.

Hopefully those backpads are easily detachable, and from what you're saying, it sounds like the pads on the armstraps are mostly for your shoulders then.
>>
karrimor tote-em senior anon reporting in here to give my two cents:
>>2771924
>As I wrote before, the straps don't actually carry any weight, they just compensate the forward
Ive read this back and forth a couple of times and still dont understand what you mean by straps
>I'd remove the back padding though. Once the pack is set up right, you won't need it unless you pack something hard and pointy in the very back of the pack, and if you leave it on, it'll probably make you sweat like a pig and rub just as uncomfortably as a backpack with an internal frame.
I personally wouldn't, the bit of extra sweat youll get on your lower back in my opinion far outweighs the fact that nothing can ever poke you in your back ever with those things. Now that im on the topic:
> The almost unpadded first-gen Alice straps are just as comfy the most recent civilian padded straps, for example.
I disagree, the frame of the medium frace alice pack I had, had a weird metal button sticking right out of the center crosspoint where the 2 metal bars of the frame connected. Needless to say after one fucking ruck I immediately went to jury-rig 2 cut-out cheapo fitness mats on there to have something nice and soft resting on my back.
>One thing that's important on these old packs is having the straps sewn crooked (unlike some reproductions, where the padding and the bottom part are connected in a straight line). Yours are, I just mention it in case you ever need to replace them.
Uhh.... If you meant that they should be box-sown then i agree if not then idk, youre gonna have to elaborate for me on what you mean by crooked sewn. Box stitching holds up the most amount of weight afaik. Sometimes other stitches hold up obscene amounts of weight aswell (i.e. the hip belt pad on my karrimor totems for example) but those are different and I dont know the names for them or if it's just a quality thing (i.e. not made in china tier quality)
>>
>>2771905
>>2772591
cont.

>>2771905
>Leave the shoulder straps loose. If the waist belt is tight, all they do is stop the pack from tilting too far back. They're not meant to carry weight as on a frameless pack, though (on most packs) they can, if the waist belt should break.
hmmm.. nah, in alot of situations I wager it's good to have the shoulder straps a little tight:
1. When youre hustling and need to make pace (ruck running)
2. When you undo the hip belt for a minute or two so your core can get some rest and expand a bit
>Keep the space between frame and back free. Some people stick pads in there, but at that point, you might as wel use a internal frame. The main advantage of external frame vs. internal frame is that air gap, that let's your shirt dry somewhat and reduces rubbing and sore spots.
See my previous comment on the thread but imo having one or two pads isnt gonna do anything that major to your ventilation on your back. ESPECIALLY, if you have one of those mesh pads, although I do actually concur a bit in that you dont want the entire back of the frame to be covered with them because then the entire ruck is gonna be pushed off of you a bit and your centre of mass is gonna more backwards (which is bad). You kinda want the shell shaped frame to mesh with the curvature of your back (or at least thats what I have always done)
>
Don't strap stuff (machete, rifle etc) directly to one of the frame's sides. I know, retards who've enver gone out claim it works, but it'll cause stuff to flip inward and rub against your shoulder. For things like that, either strap to the pack (if you have loops like on an Alice / Molle) or tie a strap to the frame on both sides, pull it tight around the loaded pack, then strap to that.
This I have never done so I cant speak about it but funny enough I was actually daydreaming about attaching some stuff to the sides like for example what you said, a machete or something like that.
>>
>>2772591
>>2772593
cont 2.

>>2771905
>Don't strap stuff (machete, rifle etc) directly to one of the frame's sides. I know, retards who've enver gone out claim it works, but it'll cause stuff to flip inward and rub against your shoulder. For things like that, either strap to the pack (if you have loops like on an Alice / Molle) or tie a strap to the frame on both sides, pull it tight around the loaded pack, then strap to that.
Also, if its flipping inward and causing rubbing cant you just easily attach a few attachment points to the frame so you clip on whatever you have to that? Just food for thought though.

>>2771899
>anons in another thread swearing on vintage outerframe packs
youre goddamn right im swearing them on.
>jansport
Interesting, ive never had one but they look just fine. As long as the hip belt pad is thick and wide enough and the stitching is good all is fair game with these packs. Just make sure you dont load the actual bag portion with too much weight or it WILL rip. I cant put a number on it but mine was slowly but surely tearing off over time as I did heavier and heavier rucks. The frames on the other hand never have any fuckign issue. Like I said in that thread youre reffering to you can drop a nuke on that shit and it wont scratch. The bag on the other hand, not so much. But that may just be because they're really old. IDK

>>2771909
>You think this will be enough padding?
Hmmm. yes, however, dont be afraid to play around with the padding. Maybe try it once without one of the pads, or maybe both but a little looser, little tighter, etc.
In the end its all just very personal.

>One of the big reasons I went for this pack over karrimor tote-em was the make of the padding, straps
Ive rucked very fucking heavy with the karrimor and have never experienced discomfort with the padding, but again. To each their own.

Hit the roads with your new ruck anon, Ill be thinking of you when Im out aswell.
>>
>>2771939
>I more or less got a solid vintage one from what you've said.
Haven't used that specific model, or any from that company, so I can't say how solid it really is. The design seems alright from what I can see.
>Hopefully those backpads are easily detachable
Should be. Probably straps and ladder locks, or maybe metal eyelets and paracord, though that's rare on civilian packs.
>the pads on the armstraps are mostly for your shoulders then.
Well, yeah. But only when you're running (where you want to cinch the pack tight to stop it from jumping around) or carrying without the waist belt (if it breaks, or if you're expecting having to drop the pack quickly for combat or the like). For normal hiking use, the padding is completely unnecessary.

One other thing I just thought of:
If your pack squeaks (polyester packs do that a lot, Nylon to a lesser extent), wash it, then get some bowstring wax (for synthetic bowstrings, wax for leather strings might weaken the pack because it contains solvents) or candle wax and rub it on the parts touching the frame. That silences it for a pretty long time - for me, with fairly regular use, it's a once a year thing.

>Wild how much thought goes into these packs
Yeah, surprised me too when I started out. I got a large Alice at first because I needed a large travel bag and it was cheap. Carried it on one trip and liked it, but noticed one of the seems on the shoulderstrap had split, bought some chink reproduction that had thicker padding and was sewn straight, and suddenly the pack was uncomfortable as hell.
Fast forward 10 years, and I have four framed setups (3/4 sizes of Alice + Savotta XL). And I convince random guys online to invest their life savings in importing Malice packs from a small japanese company that doesn't even pay me.
>>
>>2772591
>Ive read this back and forth a couple of times and still dont understand what you mean by straps
Shoulder straps. If your waist belt is set up properly, the shoulder straps just stop the pack from flipping backward, while the belt carries all of the weight.
>If you meant that they should be box-sown then i agree if not then idk
Kinda hard to explain. I'm talking about the part where the padded portion of the shoulder strap connects to the unpadded portion. This connection shouldn't be straight, but bent / crooked / curved, so that when you carry the pack, the padded portion goes straight down on your chest. If the connection is straight (like I've had on a set of cheap alice straps), the straps will run across the chest at an angle, and either press into your neck or slip of your shoulders, depending on how you attach them to the frame.
On more modern designs, where the straps are padded further down, they do the same thing by making the padding curved.
>>2772593
>in alot of situations I wager it's good to have the shoulder straps a little tight:
Agree on 1., but that's not an issue for hiking. As for 2., I've never felt the need to undo the hip belt, even after 10-12h of rucking. I did invest in a pretty good waist belt though, so maybe I'm just not getting that problem.
>imo having one or two pads isnt gonna do anything that major to your ventilation
In my experience, mesh padding is almost as bad as closed padding, and makes me sweat jsut as much. Might not be as bad if you don't sweat as much as I do, or aren't going out in ~100% humidity.
>>
File: 1725541763327.jpg (1.12 MB, 1200x1600)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Just bought this thing. I cant seem to find much on the brand at all but it seems well made for the price. I'll have to see how it holds up
>>
>>2772596
>>2772605
I've read a couple current reviews on that particular pack and it seems that old reviews and retrospective reviews are all singing it's praise, so I'm hoping for good things. The thread you guys were talking about external frame packs, and last week when I went deep in the woods and found myself having to travel back with my hands full finally convinced me to sink some money into a pack, like I said, just glad the guy didn't charge me an arm and a leg. It arrives tomorrow, but there were a couple of these packs that looked to be in a lot worse condition charging triple the amount I got it for..

So about how much weight would you suggest for these things? One of the only negative things I read about this pack is that due to the storage space in there you'll be tempted to overload it.
>>
>>2761264
Why are you getting defensive?
>>
I've started lugging my kit in a swag. Tarp, 2 blankets, some long tools bundled inside. Food and small tools in counterweight bag. Billy tin with all my cooking in one hand. Water bag in other hand.
It's been interesting so far, not as tidy as having it all in a pack but the weight dispersion has made walking easy, I feel it more in my heel and don't need to lean forward for balance. Maybe the old timers were onto something?
>>
>>2773076
NTA
>You’re kind of a faggot nogunz neverserved
>Youre a double faggot

>”wHy ArE yOu DeFeNsIvE?”

This is the worst outdoor forum on the internet because of this kind of shit.
>>
File: bag.png (662 KB, 1000x1000)
662 KB
662 KB PNG
>>2760217
I know it's been a month but I like solving puzzles. I had a quick look and found: Atomic mission gear. As seen in picrel.
https://atomicmissiongear.com/
You're welcome
>>
>>2773089
Why are you getting defensive for someone else?
>>
File: 20240909_132201.jpg (2.63 MB, 2450x3597)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
It finally came today and after trying it on... I'm a believer (though I don't have anything to compare it too really).

>Insanely comfortable fit
>has no weight at all to it
>so many places to put everything
>material feels insanely sturdy
>lots of leather on there too
>feels apocalypse proof
>for being as old as it is, it looks like whoever used it before me was very careful with it. You can tell it got some use yet looks new in a lot of places

I had to thank the seller again, and thank you guys for turning me onto these. I'm so dang stoked.
>>
File: 2342345654.jpg (96 KB, 1365x846)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Normal pack that looks normal and not like an anti-government insurgent. 50L or larger.
>>
>>2773059
>So about how much weight would you suggest for these things? One of the only negative things I read about this pack is that due to the storage space in there you'll be tempted to overload it.
Í cant really speak for anything other than the 3 packs I had, and thats that the frames (in my case atleas) can handle ALOT more weight than the bag portion of the rucks. Usually because the stitching and seams fail first. So its entirely dependent on your pack and the conditions youre using in/bought in. Overloading it is kind of a vague term though anon, I can overload it with pillows too you know? So its impossible to really put a number on it. I suggest just not thinking about it too much and just using it, and if you notice any of the seams or stitchings failing then you should obviously use less weight

>>2773354
congratulations anon, report your findings. Ill be sure to read em and give my 2 cents.

karrimor anon out
>>
>>2760474
osprey rook?
>>
>>2771764
I second this >>2771803
Sierra Designs looks like a meme.
Klymit doesn't make quality goods.
Gregory make quality backpacks with good suspensions systems.
>>
>>2773059
>So about how much weight would you suggest for these things?
Depends on the bag. The frame can probably carrysomewhere around 50-100kg (not kidding - most people who use exoframes will overload them heavily, to the point of carrying whole boars or deer on them).
but depending on the material the bag is made from, it may have aged to the point where it'll tear under less load.
>>2773354
Nice.
btw, could you post a sideways view of that pack? On this pic, it looks like the frame is U-shaped, which is something I've not seen before. All the packs I know are either straight (with some bends) or L-shaped.
>>
File: 20240910_133504.jpg (2.04 MB, 2153x3461)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
Here's the side of it (I'm in the process of getting it all loaded up to take out). The age of the bag is definitely affecting some of the interior areas with the fabric starting to "unravel" but it's still pretty sturdy and I don't see that bring a problem. Gotta replace a screw on the right aluminum belt "thing". I also need to make a modification on the belt as I'm a bit too fat for it. So far it feels pretty great on my back though. That extra padding feels genuinely good.
>>
>>2773821
>>2773836
>>
>>2773836
So uh, what's the plan for that sleeping bag when it rains?
>>
>>2773841
Trash bag over top, though I'm just taking it out today on clear weather to see how the general weight feels on a trail.
>>
>>2773845
Also, it's weird but the pic made the sleeping back look UGE. In reality it looks half that size.
>>
>>2773848
You know, out of all the spelling errors my phone misses I don't know why it's so hellbent on autocorrecting "sleeping bag".
>>
>>2773836
anon you really need to get a sleeping bag thats not coleman-tier
>>
>>2773909
Oh yeah, I plan on it, just something to throw over top of me in my hammock at the moment. (Ie: a glorified blanket).

Of course, budget recommendations in the meantime would be much appreciated
>>
>>2760066
I know this is the backpack thread, but I'm not a huge fan of backpacks for my own reasons, and would rather use an alternative if possible.
Could I use something like a leather messenger bag or a duffel/weekender?
I know backpacks are used specifically so that you don't fuck up your spine but I feel like my stuff is exposed and vulnerable when it's stuck behind my head like that and I don't like having to take your backpack off to access it.
>>
>>2774150
It depends on what you're going to do while hiking.
A long time ago I started hiking with a messenger bag. I was a teenager at the time but it didn't take long for me to see a few problems with it that a regular backpack wouldn't have. I'd go off-trail to look at the cliffs I had seen from the trail and the messenger bag itself would get caught on brush and shit like that a lot. I guess that could be remedied with a waist strap connected to the bag. Another problem I had was that the bag would always slap against the side of my leg and it became very annoying when I started to carry more stuff in it for my hikes.
>>
>>2774160
My bag has an adjustable shoulder strap so I can kind of tie it to my body instead of letting it hang loose, would that make it more practical maybe?
>>
>>2773836
Thanks for the pic. I've never seen something like that upper bar before. Looks interesting.

>>2774150
>messenger bag
Still better than a frameless backpack. On longer hikes, they get really painful if you load more than ~3-5kg, though. German army assault packs (and their repros) are fairly cheap (15€), large enough and can be overloaded to some extent (the flap can stretch stuff and there's plenty of rings on the outside). If you think a slung bag may be right for you, those are a good start.
Though I'd guess that soon enough, you'll limit slung bags to daytrips or overnighters at most, and accept the downsides of a real backpack for longer hikes.
>duffel bag
Wouldn't recommend it. I've only ever used one as a last minute extra suitcase for a flight, but that was a real pain to carry already.
>I don't like having to take your backpack off to access it
That's why most good packs have Molle on the waistbelt, and often the shoulder straps as well. For example, I carry my water and water filter on the left hip and snacks on right.
Also, anything you might need to access quickly (FAK, knife, gun / pepper spray) should go in your clothes' pockets anyways, so you can't forget it if you have to ditch the pack.
>>
>>2760474
Osprey Atmos AG65. Not the LT
>>
>>2773926
Down or synthetic?
For down, go with a Kelty galactic 30 or some quilt from Sierra Designs.

Synthetic, REI has a sleeping bag (Trailmade 20) that goes on sale pretty frequently. Next big sale will be in november. It's much smaller than your current and is $100 full price
>>
File: Kanken.jpg (1.36 MB, 2000x2000)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
Yo bros.
I'm new to the /out/doors and wanted to get a decent backpack. I mainly want it for short (~4hour) forest trips. I plan to store my cameras, a notebook, bible, water bottle and maybe some food in it.
Here are my requirements:
>waterproof
>~20l capacity
>casual / vintage looking (nothing military or overly gaudy)
>2 cylindrical side pockets (for water bottle and umbrella)
>some back support (just some foam padding)
>~70$
From my research the backpack that I liked the most was the Fjallraven Kanken. It's almost perfect but it's a bit flimsy looking and a tad too pricey. Is there anything similar at a lower price point and potentially sturdier?
>>
>>2774668
Imo sounds like you can get away with a normal school backpack with a trashbag in it to keep the stuff inside dry, that's what I did until I bought my overnight pack. My school backpack got more beat up using tossing it around school than it ever did in the woods
>>
>>2774696
Yeah, I'm inclined to do just that but I'd really prefer a waterproof backpack.
I kept looking and eventually gave up on the design specs.
I just want a 16L simple one BUT THEY KEEP ADDING THE SHITTY LAPTOP / TABLET SLIDERS INTO EVERY SINGLE ONE ALONG WITH 2 GORILLION USELESS POCKETS
>>
>>2774219
Yup, I appreciate the interest. I've still gotta find the right size screw to replace on the hip, then aftet that I'm taking it out on the trails. It'll be interesting to see how it goes, but just trying it on indoors it feels really, really comfortable so that's a good start
>>2774503
I'll watch that synthetic REI one first when it goes on sale, then upgrade to a down one from there. Heading into winter though, might be a better option to save up a bit more and go for a down for the additional warmth... I'll mull it over.

I really appreciate the recommendations.
>>
>>2774884
>Heading into winter though, might be a better option
...to not learn how to backpack in the winter, correct.
The cold makes every minor mistake that isn't a big deal in the three-season potentially lethal, you have been warned.
>>
>>2774901
Then I guess I'll try and get out as much as possible in fall, try and figure out what I need moving forward, then work extra for that gear in the winter so I'm more prepared next year.
>>
>>2774884
My suggestion, wait a bit for the previous model kelty down 20 (the 650 fill) to come up for sale on ebay. I got a pair for myself and the lady for the price of one.
>>
>>2774904
I'll do that. That's pretty much how I've been getting all my gear. Thankfully there seems to always be a sale on something you need if you look or wait a couple days for it.
>>2774901
Would it be as dangerous just going to local, close by, and smaller woods to try camping out during the winter? Not even backpacking, just general camping out?
>>
anyone tried the granite gear chief patrol pack and/or the mystery ranch blackjack 100 or 6500?
>>
>>2775028
If you stay within bail-out distance from your car (however far you think you can do in the freezing rain in the middle of the night), and have cell-service/sos beacon there's minimal risk.
Having to bail sucks mentally, you're going to feel like a retard, but it's all experience.

As annoying as it can be, car camping with the gear you plan to hike with is a great way to learn everything in a zero-stress environment and shake your gear out and figure out what works for you and what doesn't.
>>
>>2775043
Gotcha, I can do that, I guess I use the word "backpacking" fairly liberally, though that's eventually what I'd like to work up to. For now it's just camping with a little distance, but in the winter that distance will be maybe a mile or two from my car (if that doesn't sound too ambitious).
>>
Hill people Gear bags with their belts set up correctly is by far the most comfortable way to carry and hike with. It's insane people don't use their system more; it is life changing. MAYBE some of the fancy mess suspension for lighter day bags breathe better, but even then it's a maybe.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (552 KB, 1600x1984)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
i want a backpack for street/out purposes. ive been eyeing the vans dx skatpack as it has pretty much everything i want in a backpack that can be versatile for both uses. any anons got ones that might be better or just as good as this? budget is $120. I already have a crossfire dg mk0 bag so I already have a dedicated camping bag. just want something i can carry my tablet in and make do light hikes/camping in
>>
>>2778066
mystery ranch has some nice laptop bags that have their 3 zip design, but are just a bit past $120. not sure how far I would wanna hike in em though
>>
>>2764776
>>2765889
>>2765905
After using this for a month-long backpacking trip round yurop, I have to say I really like it. If it had an opening at the bottom, it would be perfect.
>>
File: BlackjackFI-675x450.png (403 KB, 675x450)
403 KB
403 KB PNG
I want this nigga like you wouldn't believe, but it's double the weight of every other pack of the same volume
>>
File: IMG_7772.jpg (1.13 MB, 1097x1505)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
Arctyrex or osprey?
>>
Anyone get pimple on their back from wearing packs? Im suspecting this one pack with a net frame, is giving me pimples. Recently, the days after I wear it for commuting to the gym, ill sometimes find one or two pimples, always in the same places, both sides of my back. Didn't have this issue in the summer, but now with extra warm layers in between the skin and the frame, maybe there is some unwanted friction? Maybe, with sweat from the gym plus the friction of the pack? Idk, might be some other cause, but issue seems pretty correlated to me wearing the pack.
>>
>>2778595
>900+ bucks for a basic ruck made from cordura and plastic like all the other rucks
doesn't make sense to me
>>
File: PXL_20230609_164602957.jpg (278 KB, 722x962)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
MLD burn, my favourite pack in the world. This is my first one with ~6 days of food in and gear for the San Juans. With normal 3 season stuff I can get over a weeks food in it. This one had almost 7000 miles on when it got a tear at the bottom of the back. I repaired it and it is good to go. I was sad when MLD changed this pack up so much. However, I found one on ebay of the same era that was practically fresh so now I have a back in the wings.
>>
Cool stuff, bro
>>
File: baltoro.jpg (31 KB, 365x453)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2760066
I use a Gregory Baltoro 75L. I have no issues with it. It is a great pack.
>>
File: Berghaus Spartan 60.jpg (784 KB, 1000x1761)
784 KB
784 KB JPG
Any other brands besides Berghaus making backpacks with simple straight back systems? I tried several backpacks which had more features and looked better but all of them had fancy back systems which were killing my back. I have been thinking about buying pic but I'm not too much into it.
>>
>>2780125
I like Osprey better because their products are available everywhere, and you can easily warranty them.
>>
File: file.png (415 KB, 772x726)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
>>2778595
Military packs are kind of ridiculous, but I get the appeal of having multiple pockets that allow you to compartmentalize everything. I wish standard hiking packs weren't allergic to having pockets, like the Kelty Redwing.
>>
>>2781810
Those extra warm layers on or near your skin might be hydrophobic/lipophilic material causing skin dehydration and oil buildup. Probably polyester or polypropylene or elastane. Probably malodorous too.
>>
>>2783780
I only have wool or cotton base layers though.
>>
>>2783930
Maybe the backpack net frame is hydrophobic/lipophilic and chafing is causing it to shed microparticles and sweat/perspiration is causing those microparticles to cling to your skin.
>>
>>2763311
HHHHWHHHHIPSSSSNAKE!!!!!
>>
>>2784375
you're no steve climber
but steve climber is
>>
>>2769457
>>2769458
I have the umlindi, it's a good bag but you have to spring for all the bag-adjacent peripherals that should really be included. I got the belt and a pocket for the belt as well as a large pocket for the compression straps in the front. My biggest complaint is that the velcro panel on the flat which secures the belt has separated from its backing but I should just get around to sewing it back on.

I recently also got an osprey manta for smaller day tripping, which is a fantastic pack.
>>
File: IMG_8246.jpg (2.79 MB, 4032x3024)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
I only use an old leather mail satchel.
Never needed more.
>>
>>2769551
you misused the word "vintage". crack open a dictionary you retarded zoomer.
>>
>>2784609
Nope, he used it correctly. Stop seeking excuses to be angry on the internet and work on yourself.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.