[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Daily reminder that if you spend time thinking about gear, watching gear videos, wondering what gear to buy next, get excited about consooming more gear or otherwise are concerned with gear past the basic cheapest shit you can find, you are not actually into the outdoors, you are just a consoomer.
>>
>>2760761
Reminder that if you haven’t figured out what’s more comfortable and works better, and are still just using the cheapest crap you could find, you’re new and your opinion doesn’t matter.
>>
>>2760770
>nooo you HAVE to spend $1636.93 dollars on fancy ultralight gear where the only difference between it and a Walmart tent is it weighs 87 grams less… because… you just do!
>>
If you actually practice outdoor activities and survival skills you will quickly see the flaws and limitations of your cheap junk from Walmart and handmedowns and will inevitably become obsessed with optimizing gear, so your point is actually the polar opposite of the truth.
>>
>>2760770
>>2760792
Pack, shoes and sleep system are worth spending good money on, but if you’re spending $120 on some ultralight high speed cooking pot you’re a fucking retard and op is right about you
>>
>>2760807
My favorite pot cost $29. I know what the ideal pot is for me because I've tried several and have spent probably $500 on such things. Same goes for every other category of outdoor gear. Experience and expertise costs money.
>>
>>2760786
Like I said, you’re new. You eventually will. I have like $800 worth of quilts, but haven’t bought one in 7 years.
>>
>>2760833
Yet you have never spent more than 3 nights in the outdoors
>>
>>2760834
Why do you say that? Use your words.
>just use the cheapest shit you can find
That only works for so long friend. Eventually the low value of that gear reveals itself.
>>
>>2760807
My favorite pot is a stainless lixada pot that was given to me as a gift for pissing off my right wing family members with a Facebook post. Worth the blocks. Wish the drawstring for the bag hadn't popped on it though. Makes keeping everywhere together a bit of a bitch but nothing an xl rubber band didn't fix.
>>
>>2760807
OP’s pic is the prototypical ultralight load out. That’s a $26 titanium Toaks pot. You’re an idiot.
>>
File: 1722634506819873~2.jpg (174 KB, 1024x683)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>2760761
What are these three items? You don't carry a hatchet? Saw? Knife?
>>
sitting mat(i have one that is longer for a sleeping mat) ferro rod, and poop hole shovel
>>
>>2760863
>poop hole shovel
Do gear consoomers seriously? Just use a rock nigga tf
>>
>>2760865
Nta but when I saw it I figured it was just a shovel in case you needed a shovel. Makes sense. I wouldn't want to step in human shit personally.
>>
>>2760843
The CCF pad is pretty much ubiquitous. It could be full length, which supplements the inflatable mattress by adding comfort and more insulation, or cut down to torso length. Also great as a sit pad. They’re cheap and effective; highly recommended.
>no saw or hatchet?
You really don’t need to chop wood. You can easily find deadfall that can be snapped by hand. Sure, you have to more frequently add wood to the fire because the pieces are smaller, but it’s not that big of a deal. Also, it’s a hiking setup. The focus of this gear is enjoying the hike with camping being a necessity for more hiking. Some people hike so they can camp, but this person would be camping so he can hike.

>>2760865
They’re like $3 on AliExpress and weigh almost nothing. I’ve used mine as a deadman anchor when setting up my tent in a super sandy area.
>just use a rock lol
Thanks for the advice, Grug, but it just doesn’t work very well. Neither does a stick or trekking pole.
>>
I enjoy watching gear videos, but I take a very minimalist approach to all of my trips. 99% of youtube videos are advertisements. The retard either got the product for free or they're directly being paid to make a video on it. The whole concept of "best" gear originated on reddit and it's cancer.
>>
>>2760792
>limitations of your cheap junk from Walmart
the best tent I've ever owned is from Walmart. It beats the shit out of any tent sold elsewhere. It is so light I don't even notice it's in my pack, I paid $35 for it at the time in 2015 and it has been on at least a hundred weekend trips. It is the best tent I'll ever own without a doubt. 1 person tent. It is the exact same tent as the $400 ALPS Lynx equivalent, even down to the stitching. I'm pretty sure they were made at the same exact place.
The only thing I think is worth the price are the Nemo airpads. But if you camp in the desert you will get a puncture at some point so avoid using it in the desert
>>
>>2760761
I'm into all that, know I'm more into the outdoors than you. I lived in the Olympic Peninsula for seven months straight with very little contact with people. Each year now I spend several months out of the year in back country as a hunting guide. So good job being wrong, faggot.
>>
>>2760868
In the Eastern forests where I'm from all the small diameter blow down is frequently wet and useless for firewood. You need to cut through big logs to access dry firewood. Sometimes you can do this with only a saw, but often the dead trees are leaning on other trees or obstacles in such a way that there's too much tension to complete a cut with a saw at all, or it's just unsafe to do so. You need a chopping tool like a hatchet that can create a kerf that will release tension in a controlled fashion. A hatchet is also much better than a saw or knife for felling, splitting, for rapidly gathering brush for a security perimeter and roofing and bedding material, working up poles into stove size chunks, hammering, and countless other tasks. I can certainly "survive" with only a saw and a knife but life in the woods really sucks without a hatchet. People who don't understand this are revealing their lack of experience.
>>
>>2760761
I spent $500 on aliexpress gear to start backpacking and I've only been once this year. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure those guys with thousands of dollars in gear are doing a lot more backpacking than me. So your argument is retarded.
>>
File: IMG_5750.jpg (247 KB, 730x555)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>2761089
>talking about hiking
>”you need a hatchet to build a shelter”
>>
>>2761179
If you want a place to dry firewood and cook and bathe and craft and spread out you're going to have to build it. You're never going to carry a tent that large.
>>
>>2761181
Have you really never hiked? Holy shit.
>>
>>2761193
He's talking about stationary camping... You know... With a campsite/Basecamp? What people who don't through hike do? Tard.
>>
>>2761288
>he’s talking about a completely different topic
Yes
>>
>>2761288
aka not hiking
>>
>>2761363
>>2761392
You do know you can still go hiking while having a base camp, right? Not everybody that goes hiking goes thru hiking. If you were actually going out you'd know this.
>>
>>2761783
>everything is a thruhike
Jesus fucking Christ. Next you’ll tell us that day packs don’t have hip belts or that you don’t need a rain jacket in the mountains.
>>
>>2761796
Stop grabbing at straws because you're argument was bad and you're fucking stupid. You were wrong and an anonymous board. Take your L and learn from it.
>>
>>2761839
>you're
Inb4 you got a chance to acknowledge my typo. Your argument was bad.
>>
>>2760812
Damn what quantity are you buying in? 29 for a gram? Eigth?
>>
>>2761839
Nah. We’re talking about backpacking, not setting up a base camp. You equate every backpacking trip with thruhiking, which is just dumb.
>take the L
Go back.
>>
>>2761854
top shelf zaza
>>
>>2761906
>We’re talking about backpacking, not setting up a base camp.

No YOU were talking about backpacking. This was a thread mocking gear reviews and over spending. You are, once again, twisting the narrative to fit your argument. Which you failed because you're a moron. So once again, take your L and move on.
>>
>>2761917
Bro, we can all follow the thread. The OP was about one thing but it morphed into a conversation about backpacking when someone asked about specific gear in the pic (which is backpacking gear).
>there’s no hatchet because it backpacking
>”but you need a hatchet to build a shelter”
NTA
>>
>>2760761
I often spend time thinking about gear because it might make my /out/ings more fun and comfortable and I spend time thinking about it and looking stuff up because I don't want to just blindly consoom a product.
>Cheapest shit you can find
Money wasted on cheap placeholder crap just adds to the money you spend on getting the real thing later.
>>
>>2761932
>NTA
If you followed the thread you'd know why their statement was dumb to begin with then. Also don't reddit the board. That bullshit needs to stay there.
>>
>>2761969
Sorry, I don’t understand why someone pointing out the reason for not carrying a saw on a hiking trip is dumb. Can you explain it to me like an adult?

>”take the L”
Very feminine energy, Anon.
>Dont Reddit the board
Don’t say dumb shit like “take the L”
>>
>>2761969
I did follow the thread, and the reasoning is sound:
>It’s a hiking setup. The focus of this gear is enjoying the hike with camping being a necessity for more hiking. Some people hike so they can camp, but this person would be camping so he can hike.

To which you replied
>you gotta build a roof and bedding so you need a axe!
>>
>>2760786
I thought UL gear was a rip off. But then I went rucking on a trip where the schedule called for two 20+ mile days and I now realize that UL gear DOES have a purpose: maximizing the mileage you can cover in a day. My traditional setup is perfectly fine for casual weekend trips where the plan is to go 10-15 miles a day. But once you start going for 20-30, that is a whole other thing, an incredibly serious physical endeavor. You have to be up at sunrise and marching all day long with bare minimum time for breaks. And you have to be moving really fast. When THAT is the plan, ounces matter and it is worth it to buy UL gear and also skip bringing ANY non-essential items, down to chucking cook systems in favor of cold soaking ramen and oats.

You’ll probably dismiss all of this bc you think every person who goes /out/ is supposed to be carrying a hatchet and a .308win rifle though
>>
>>2760786
Hmm…
Let’s see.
>3F UL Lanshan: $140
>3f UL 50L pack: $60
>20° down quilt from AliExpress: $115
>fancy feast stove, Imusa mug, soda can wind screen, Wendy’s frosty spoon: $25
>gym clothes you already have for lounging around and playing video games: free
>CCF pad: $55 (they range from $15 to Luke $150; the middle ground gets you a Therm-a-Rest Z Lite)
>headlamp: $10
>SmartWater bottles: $5
>first aid kit: a quart ziplock and things you have in your medicine cabinet
>trekking poles: $30 at Costco, or a stick for free
>mini bic: $1
>Aquamira drops: $15
>Frog Toggs jacket and pants: $30
>alternatively any poncho on Amazon for $20
>even splurge on an umbrella for like $35
>other odds and ends like bug spray: I dunno, like $20, maybe
>Victorinox Classic: $20
>>
>>2762708
You don’t need a rain jacket if you’re in the mountains because it literally never rains in the mountains rains (trust me; I am very smart).
>>
>>2761961
You spending time researching products and getting overwhelmed with all the options is exactly what these companies want.
>>
>>2762708
You’re advertising for free rn btw
>>
>>2760761
Or perhaps I want to know what kind of gear I should have.
>>
>>2764148
Cuck behavior
>please, kind internet strangers, tell me what company to purchase overpriced shit from!
>>
>>2764184
Best advice is one about the kind, not the provider. So, type of equipment, materials used, some specific info on what to look for.
That said there is nothing wrong about recommending quality products.
I think you're addicted to negativity and need to criticise everything to get a familiar feeling of being discontent. Or maybe you're aiming for feelings of superiority, I dunno.
>>
>>2760843
1. Sit pad
2. Trowel for digging a shit hole
3. Looks like a metal telescoping straw to blow on fire
>>
>>2760761 bought my pack for £20 on Facebook Marketplace. Hammock was super cheap from a local store and my tarp was a bit more expensive but I knew I wanted to be dry so didn’t mind the expense. Always eat real food regardless of weight, not forking out on that dehydrated packet shit. My biggest expense for /out/doors stuff is train tickets to get to good spots because I don’t drive! When I started I got super into the whole gear thing but I couldn’t afford any of the ‘best stuff’. When the cheap stuff started working I realised it was all bullshit, so happy I realised
>>
>>2760786
>87 grams less
-per item
for a grand total of 6-8 kg difference
>>
When it comes to gear my life depends on, I'm gonna autism out when it comes to selecting things. All my gear is made in America, and it'll last thousands of miles. Fuck all that chink euro trash
>>
>>2762640
yeah see I like to actually enjoy nature. ditching a cooking system cuz it weighs 100 grams is downright retarded and I'd rather not hike as far since looking at cool birds is way more fun
>>
>>2765400
Plz post 100g cook system
Thanks
>>
>>2765400
That makes sense. You definitely don’t need UL get for low-mileage day hiking. Through hiking 20+ miles per day is a whole other thing. I think another thing about that style of going /out/ that people don’t consider is that for each pound of base weight you shave with UL gear / bringing less, that’s one pound worth of consumables gained. It’s all about being able to stay on the trail for longer while moving faster.
>>
>>2762640
>>2765952
>speed
Nope
>>
>>2762640
>>2765952
discounting weight as a serious consideration is THE hallmark tell of a total novice or worse, a pudgy indoors larper
>>
>>2760786
Wait until you reach your mid 40s & try to hike with a heavy pack, if I can take 3 to 4kg off my back then I will. You don't have to spend big money, just prioritize gear you'll actually use and leave the rest at home.
It's feels good to have some fancy gear sometimes though, but you don't have to spend $1636.93 to get there.
>>
>>2762640
Some of us go outside to enjoy nature. You’re better off taking your pack to the gym and walking on the treadmill since all you care about is miles
>>
>>2762640
>You’ll probably dismiss all of this bc you think every person who goes /out/ is supposed to be carrying a hatchet and a .308win rifle though.

There's no law that says you can't do both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k1jyyaoPYg
>>
>>2765400
>I'd rather not hike as far since looking at cool birds is way more fun
some of the really cool stuff is very far in anon
>>2769070
>sole purpose is WROL larping
at least mention UL hunting
>>
>>2769070
>no extra socks in pack
>no sunscreen or sun hat
>brings pistol + rifle + chest rig
>brings inflatable pillow
megalarper moment
>>
>>2769136
>no extra socks in pack
>no sunscreen or sun hat

Would you consider this larping?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFS2amNPA8
>>
>>2769131
Would you please enlighten a larper such as myself to a proper gear list that you would take on your pro hiking trips?
>>
File: 1719256236454210.jpg (1.61 MB, 4406x2938)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>2769142
yes, this is actual larping. rendezvous in general seems neat but its an old mans game so I have a ways to go
>>2769143
not typing all that shit out but sure ill spoonfeed you
https://www.gohunt.com/browse/gear-lists-and-reviews/the-ultimate-backcountry-hunting-gear-list-breakdown
and heres the article OP stole the image from
https://www.thepackablelife.com/hiking/gear/ultralight-backpacking-gear
>>
File: 1699069567448389.jpg (1.74 MB, 3648x2736)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>2769144
>rendezvous
I see these types of guys on the trails sometimes letting a donkey or horse carry all their shit. I get it, I really do
>>
>>2769136
So ex Navy Seals that teach survival courses are megalarpers?
>>
>>2769144
Do consider Scottish highlanders and what they carried in the past to survive as larpers?
>>
>>2769154
They carried the most modern equipment available which consisted of purpose-built tools rather than things that looked cool.
>>
>>2769136
Anyone /out/ is a larper except me cause I know best, you don't have many friends do you fuckbag?
>>
>>2769172
I'm sure he has more friends than someone who seethes and calls others "fuckbags" for pointing out the OP's incomplete loadout
>>
>>2769152
>didn’t bring extra socks
>trust me, I’m very smart
Survival instruction is a different topic, so you shouldn’t be taking what they say as gospel.
>>
>>2769154
if you are hiking and camping in period wear and kit, you are larping, no exceptions
>>
File: cup.png (683 KB, 942x689)
683 KB
683 KB PNG
Now I can drink loose leaf tea while camping
>>
>>2762800
I'm sure they are absolutely thrilled whenever I buy something like a military surplus bivvy and comfy wool jacket because sometimes there is overlap between quality gear and cheap gear.
The consoomerism oriented companies are only interested in a research cycle that brings you into frequent contact with ads and impulse spending opportunities.
>>
>>2769144
>iceaxe in summer
for what purpose
>>
>>2769468
ever been in the mountains bro?
>>
>>2769456
>bivvy
oh ok but what do you do when it rains? do you just lay there?
>>
I look at a few items and buy a moderately priced option. I’ll try it and if I can’t find fault with it then that’s good for me unless something a little more costly has significant improvements, even some cheaper options also to better. I tend to look at bad reviews to see what issues people might have such as build quality or certain kinds of materials not being up to task but also take it with a grain of salt because a lot of people neglect to repair, maintain and modify their gear to suit their personal usage. As with any gear orientated task, people want to sell you a product. Don’t be bought in with overly gimmicky marketing. What I want is some suggestions for a pack axe, not looking to fell trees, just process a good amount of fall and deadwood.
>>
>>2769044
OP’s pic is a UL through hiker loadout, and in through hiking, covering more miles faster matters a lot. Most triple crown trails have an element of seasonal timing that can kill an attempt - the PCT in particular has snowpack seasons in the sierra nevadas, and many people set up the timing of their entire trip just to avoid ending up with 6 feet of snow on the trail. If you screw that up or get unlucky, your through hike is either over, or you need specialized snow travel equipment like snowshoes or AT skiis + 3x the energy expenditure (bc snow travel is so damn hard). So if you are sobo on the PCT and you have maybe 2-3 months to cover the thousand miles between the cascades and the Sierras, and you can’t predict when the big snowstorms will drop on the sierras, speed matters a ton. A UL setup can shave 7-10 lbs of bpw compared to traditional backpacking equipment. You WILL be glad to have saved that weight.

These are the considerations that go into super expensive Zpack gear. They don’t matter at all for casual day hiking, bushcrafting, birdwatching, or fishing obv. But they’re hugely important in long distance hiking, which is who Zpack makes their gear for. Shitting on UL gear as consooom betrays lack of knowledge about why this kind of equipment exists in the first place.
>>
File: cooking.jpg (76 KB, 550x602)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>2760761
So you're saying I shouldn't watch reviews on which sleeping bag to buy?
Or should I just not buy a sleeping bag and tent?

...I could kill you
>>
>>2769393
That's for deep frying, not tea
>>
>>2769553
i think op is saying you should go on amazon.com or into a store and buy the cheapest sleeping bag you can find, and then use it for EVERY season/terrain/usecase.
at least that was my understanding of his bait post
>>
>>2760843
>You don't carry a hatchet? Saw? Knife?
The gear is for going outside, not larping. (I'd take a sak classic personally)
>>
>>2769604
To be fair

He has a pair of scissors
>>
>>2769605
How do you cut moleskin or duct tape into odd shapes for treating or preventing blisters?
>>
>>2760761
>>2760770
The trick with gear is figuring our which things to cheap out on, and which things you should actually spend money on for quality, in relation to your investment in the hobby.

I’m a non-combat veteran that spent half his whole enlistment basically camping in the woods (the field) and have a lot of experience in what are the necessities and what aren’t important, if only for my own enjoyment I’ll list things you can cheap out on and things you can’t here, if you are camping for under 4 days this is decent list, the longest I ever was in the field was 11 days, and I got by with an isomat, tarp, bivy and sleeping bag, plus a camel back and 2 canteens of water and food, that’s what I actually “needed” for 11 days, however I was also carrying my plate carrier (25-30lbs of weight) and a rifle (8lbs) and a bunch of other random stuff like a gasmask, e-tool, ect. Basically if I can get by on 11days with just that and carrying a bunch of stuff I’d never carry recreationally (and yes I was hiking a lot), you’ll be fine with having non- ultra-lite stuff

Pack- buy a midrange pack, observe it for it’s support ability and size, ideally buy a 60-80 liter pack
Lighter- cheap gas station lighters are perfectly fine
Rope- 550 cord is cheap and good
Iso mat/sleeping pad- never use an air filled pad, get a cheap foam one
Sleeping Bag- buy quality sleeping bags, this is one of the most important things to invest in
Clothes- try not to buy clothes that are negative insulators for camping, but you’ll usually be fine unless you plan on camping in the rain or in extreme environments (negative insulators meaning when they get wet they strip heat from you)
Camping chair- if you choose to take a chair, consider taking a smaller version of a sleeping mat to sit on, if you really wanna chair then quality and packability count
Food- make sure you are getting adequate caloric intake for your trip, at least 2000 calories a day
Now it’s to long kek
>>
>>2760761
>be me
>start going outside more, hot food would be nice instead of trail mix for dinner
>realize i kinda need a cooking system and I dont have anything
>look into pocket stoves and pots on amazon, research where the point of diminishing returns is because buy once cry once and all that
aw shit im a consooooooommmer
>>
>>2760812
>My favorite pot cost $29
Which one is it?
>>
Any mass comsumers able to identify these shell pants for me
>>
>>2760761
Outdoor gear is the best to consoom because its sold on practical benefits.
I just wear half my outdoor shit for regular activities knowing it looks decent and has better quality than the garbage they sell in malls.

Oh and i had to become a wagie to afford it so now i dont have the time to go outside. Such is this woeful life.
>>
Is this the thread?
I need a new cooking pan because mine is trashed
What is the best option
>pan with no handle at all just bare sides all around
>bring pliers to use as handle
Or
>same pan
>bring it's clip on handle or buy an universal ultralight pan handle
Or
>buy a pan with a folding handle and use it

I'm leaning towards option one, having a handle on a pan causes it to fall off the stove, and having plyers on a trip can be potentially a incredibly useful tool but most of the time is unused weight in the pack.
This gives the plyers a use and reason to be there. They would replace my heavier multitool
>>
>>2771780
is this for backpacking? ditch the multitool in any case and just get a pan with a folding handle. much lower chance of dropping the pan anyway. stainless cooks better than alum or titanium
>>
>>2770749
Mountain hardware
>>
>>2771784
Yeah backpacking
My plan was a non stick pan of whatever those are made of idk. The one I have is some Stanley pan with a folding handle and some meme layers crap for even heat distribution. The cooking surface is stainless steel.
Good in concept, but in practice, food fucking glues itself to it. Just the other day I tried to cook a corn beef hash in it and I dumped the can into it as I always do with my normal pan and it fucking immediately glued to it. An entire thin layer of the stuff burned itself down in idk, minutes? The hash never produced the grease as it does, I'm not sure how that's even possible.
In the past I've tried cooking using tons of olive oil in it and I can just pour the oil in and it disappears. Where does it go? No one knows.
So to use that pan I would have to bring tons of cooking oil, and a sanding pad and lots of water to clean the pan after.
A non stick I just cook without any oil and then get it hot and wipe it clean with a single paper towel
>>
>>2772027
>heat distribution
boy let me tell you if you think this is bad on stainless you will be amazed at how shit it is on titanium or aluminum pans. im not sure anyone makes a teflon outdoors pan and I wouldnt bother with that anyway, the MSR clean up brush/scraper thing is all ive ever needed when cleaning my stainless pan unless ive really torched something. are you cooking on a prop stove or a fire? it sounds like you are cooking on a backpacking stove and not fully appreciating how intense the heat is on thin pans, the higher setting is for boiling water only as anything else will burn your food immediately. the absolute GOAT of heat distribution will be cast iron but its like 5 lbs for a little skillet and only makes sense when used on a campfire/coals IMO
>>
>>2772035
Tbh I was using it on a temperature controlled induction stove last at a very reasonable temperature.
In the past I've tried to cook on it with two different camp stoves, and a kerosene heater. Nothing fucking works.
My $4 aluminum non stick kitchen pan SHITS on it but it doesn't work at home on induction and the handle doesn't fold and uses a screw to hold it on so it's mid to remove it and pack it
>>
>>2760761
I do this but it's videos about making gear, knives, sheathes/leatherworking, sewing/making shirts, resoling boots, making backpacks. Now I have been consoooming tools and raw materials.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.