[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_8965.jpg (814 KB, 1125x743)
814 KB
814 KB JPG
Homestead General /hsg/
> Garden plot
> Thread #08

Talk gardening, farming, livestock, beekeeping, building, electricity and plumbing, earthworks, waterworks, permaculture, raising children, market gardening, selling produce, barter, home economics, composting, mulching, pest control, diet, health.
Anything relevant to living on site, making a home out of the land.

Old Thread: >>2724333
>>
FIRST! anyone have any recommendations for a viable place in SW wa state to homestead or at least just innawoods? outside aberdeen maybe? longview? somewhere off highway 12 (ideally that isn't on fire). I could probably drop $100k on something at the moment.
>>
>>2763583
Does anyone have recommendations on growing stuff in climates like Alaska? The only resource I know of is It Grows in Alaska.
>>
>>2763672
>Alaska's hardiness zones range from 1a to 8b, depending on the region:
>Northern and central Alaska: Zones 1a to 2b
>Coastal regions: Zones 2b to 4a
>Southeast Alaska: Zones 4a to 7b
That's a lot better than I expected. You can grow just about anything depending on where you are. I recommend figuring out which zone you're in and then looking up a list of crops for that zone. If you are in one of the colder zones then you might want to look into aero/aqua/hydro-ponics and microgreens so you can grow a few things inside.
>>
File: 1718628782684669.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
My chickens free range in my back yard, a fenced off enclosure about 1/4 of an acre (i have about an acre total land). I put a decoy owl on the chicken coop last fall and that deterred this one halk for about a year. But today i heard the chickens freaking out and a halk was trying to get under the big droopy bush my chickens like to hide under and it snagged a 7 day old chick the mom took out to teach how to scratch at dirt and stuff. Just picked it up with its talons and flew away.

Then I heard the hawk startling the neighbors chickens across the woods.

How do i deter hawks even more? I read fishing line 3-4 feet apart but its too much land to cover and it would be an eyesore for myself and neighbors
>>
Cows, goats, or sheep for milk?
Which is least maintainance and most nutritious/delicious?
>>
>>2763883
A scarecrow might help.
Although you'd probably need to move it around regularly. Or rig it up to move around by itself.
>>
>>2763883
You can't just put something up and leave it be because they'll figure out it's not alive. Move it twice a week and it will work better. Other things you can do are

>Get a rooster
>If a quarter or more of your birds are black then hawks mistake them for crows and leave them alone
>Encourage a flock of crows to roost on your property.
>Put up scare crows or bird scares
>Paint the eyes from bird scares on things
>Put out small shelters like tables

Combining multiple strategies will always be more effective than using one strategy
>>
>>2764019
>>Get a rooster
i have one but its a silkie and kind of a pansy
>>If a quarter or more of your birds are black then hawks mistake them for crows and leave them alone
most of my chickens are white, since my only rooster is a white silkie and i let them reproduce and go broody every few months to keep giving me a fresh supply of chickens
>>Encourage a flock of crows to roost on your property.
idk how to do that
>>Put up scare crows or bird scares
wouldnt that scare away the flock of crows you suggested?
>>Paint the eyes from bird scares on things
what does this even mean?
>>Put out small shelters like tables
im not litering my backyard with tables. The chickens already have bushes which provide both cover and concealment, but the hawk went under it anyway. It dragged the chick out from under a big bush, a table will be even less effective.

I also have a massive lumbering beast of a hen, a Brahma, but she is very docile and doesnt do much
>>
>>2764055
>most of my chickens are white, since my only rooster is a white silkie
White chickens are the greatest hawk bait. If your chickens are free-ranging you should only have camoflaged chickens. Back when I was a noob I saw a hawk divebomb from the sky and snatch a white/silver/meme-color chicken from the ground and completely ignore the camoflaged chickens. This happened maybe 3 times and then I began the process of getting rid of the meme colors

It's been over 3 years now and to this day I have never lost a brown, dark wheaten, or black chicken to predation

Also
>vegetation
>having tough chickens instead of silkies
Chickens are descendants from junglefowl, not lawnfowl. The more thick the vegetation on your property the safer they'll be

If I were you I'd get a single camoflaged American Game or Asil hen to introduce tough genetics into your flock and brood chicks regularly. Nothing compares to their motherhood skills. I've watched a game hen drive off a fox before
>>
>>2764055
>i have one but its a silkie and kind of a pansy
Get a better rooster. Something aggressive and ideally all black. Make sure you socialize them properly or your silkie is fucking done.

>most of my chickens are white,
See
>>2764201
In general birds consider white = weak and black = strong. Camouflage is great, but if you have enough black birds then you won't need camouflage.

>idk how to do that
It was a fairly popular trend for a while so you can probably find some videos. Basically feed them, provide extra large bird baths, emulate their calls, and reward them for hanging around.

>wouldnt that scare away the flock of crows you suggested?
Nah, corvids are a lot smarter than birds of prey. Bird scares didn't get rid of my magpies. The rooster will be a bigger problem.

>what does this even mean?
Pic related. It's supposed to look like predator eyes.

>im not litering my backyard with tables.
Then plant more bushes.

>I also have a massive lumbering beast of a hen, a Brahma, but she is very docile and doesnt do much
Sounds like Brahmas. If you want a big chicken that flies around and fucks shit up then get malays. They only lay like 60 eggs a year though. They're game chickens. Maybe you could use a couple malay hens instead of a new rooster.
>>
>>2764204
>If you want a big chicken that flies around and fucks shit up then get malays
My Asil eats snakes and tries hunting squirrels heh. Reminds me of something prehistoric the way she watches them from the side and tries innocently walking towards them
>>
>>2764206
I just looked up the breed and it said they were bred for cockfights but not to hurt their owners. I guess they're also supposed to look like an extinct ancestor to chickens. They sound pretty cool, but I wouldn't add them to my flock. Can you post some webms of your clever girl hunting?
>>
File: bird.png (1.05 MB, 612x776)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>2764293
>Can you post some webms of your clever girl hunting?
Amusing moments of chickens hunting are uncommon and I don't sit around waiting to film all day. Not that I would film an animal murdering another in the first place. Best I can do for you is her with a clutch of babies she hatched
>>
>>2764351
I was more interested in watching her stalk something. She's pretty and those chicks look very healthy. Can asil chickens fly like malays?
>>
File: 1717275307818741.jpg (646 KB, 1807x1067)
646 KB
646 KB JPG
still terraforming in vegas. will reply later today with some updated photos. tall fescue is 100% dead and gone and probably soil now. bermuda is fine for the time being. clover finally popped off. got a few mature clover seed heads developed over the past month, so im doing something correct. still taking neighbors' landscape wastes and tossing around strategically (and for free). placing old logs from my tree trimming activities at the base of the cmu block wall has 100% decreased the surrounding soil temperature by some amount. bermuda encroaches up to the logs now. i need more.
>>
>>2764363
>Can asil chickens fly like malays?
Not familiar with Malay, but Asil flight is what I would describe as mediocre. My chickens all roost in trees. The highest roost about 20 feet up, but the Asil roosts around 8 feet, in usually two different leaps to get there

Malay sound like the chaotic evil counterpart to Asil from what I've been reading. This chicken here is both the kindest and more ferocious one I have

>>2764374
I would sling prickly pears everywhere
>>
File: IMG_20240808_185516.jpg (3.15 MB, 4160x3120)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>2763583
i have been homesteading for 4 years now. i have learned alot the hard way. i have done every part of my homestead myself except drilling the well. ama
>>
>>2764381
>Malay sound like the chaotic evil counterpart to Asil from what I've been reading. This chicken here is both the kindest and more ferocious one I have
That makes sense. Malays weren't bred to respect their owners. I wonder if they've ever killed someone. Eventually I want to get some and breed them into my flock.
>>
File: 1709301037904869.jpg (742 KB, 766x2000)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
>>2764374
>>
File: 1722417589489405.jpg (1.36 MB, 1366x2000)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>2764447
>>
File: 1718032054875970.jpg (1.27 MB, 1488x2000)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2764449
corn. well, kinda. corn plant, no corn.
>>
File: IMG_20240802_210503.jpg (4.62 MB, 4160x3120)
4.62 MB
4.62 MB JPG
>>2764457
based, your gonna make it
>>
Still waiting on confirmation wether I have deed access on 40 acres I have under contract. This wait is frustrating.
>>
>>2764466
you have no access until the contract is complete.
>>
File: 1696688972731709.jpg (1.2 MB, 1627x2000)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>2764447
and close up of the corner. birds hang here. neighbor has some sort of acacia or ash i think. the nut/grains it drops are tasty and full of calories.

>>2764381
good instinct. currently growing a couple cuttings in my front yard, in addition to my boss cactus. i toss prickly pear trimmings from boss cactus strategically around the backyard. however, i personally want to keep the prickly pear controlled. it stays in the front yard.
>>
>>2764469
Deeded access as in wether the road that connects it is actually a road or part of the neighboring properties land. Plus some survey shanagagins. That's what I'm waiting on.
>>
File: 1720323699594273.jpg (1.06 MB, 1383x2213)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
three engelmann prickly pear cuttings. all three ~3 months old, and rooted. im expecting growth come ~october
>>
I sold my 7 acre larpstead.
It's over.
>>
>>2765297
Why?
>>
>>2765336
he is a fake niggercattle larpsteader just like all the faggots itt who are worrying about which breed of chickens to get, just get barred rocks or rhode island reds.
>>
>>2764637
omg bro you will live forever off that.
>>
>>2765297
>larpstead
Lmao
>>
>>2765392
>barred rocks or rhode island reds
Weak, bitch chickens that can't make it on a real homestead. Not that you would know
>>
>>2763614
There's an entire WA state thread up right now; they probably know more
>>
im trying to find land to buy, planning to start my own larpstead.
>>
Is it worth raising chickens for slaughter?
Or are pigs basically the only efficient animal for meat?
>>
>>2767668
from videos ive seen chickens are pretty easy but pigs are easier and give like 10x more meat
watch some youtube channels of homesteaders going over it
>>
>>2767668
It’s easy and way better than hogs. Source: I raise chickens and live near the hog capitol of the world. We have a hog queen every year.
>>
>>2767820
They don’t publicize it but she’s most definitely the hog queen and has to kiss the hog king publicly who is an actual pig.
>>
>>2763583
Every summer I eat an insane number of cherries because I love them, but lets say I wanted to save all of the pits and grow each one into a small sapling and then guerilla garden them all over town in forgotten spots where they're likely to remain unmolested. What would be the best process to sprout and grow upwards of 250 cherry pits? I live in Climate Zone 4
>inb4 erm they're not going to be the same cherries you bought
I know and I dont care
>inb4 erm they arent meant for your climate zone
Unfortunately, I dont really care and I will be doing it anyway
>>
>>2767867
Make them into clay seed balls with some crushed lump charcoal and mycorrhizal fungi
>>
>>2767873
I was thinking of this for plan B, where should I source the clay from? Is there any better/worse clay I should avoid?
>>
>>2767887
You can just use your own soil. Put some in a jar, shake it, and then let it settle and the proportions of each layer will show you roughly the proportions of the sand, silt, and clay in your soil. As long as you have a decent band on top you can make clay from the soil. If the top band is about 60% of the total thickness of the whole sample then you can use it without extracting the clay and you can skip the charcoal. There's tons of guides on how to extract clay online. Avoid sodium bentonite which you can find at farm supply stores. If they have calcium bentonite then you can use that.

You should also look into ways to extend the planting zone of fruit trees. Planting next to a wall that retains heat could be enough to get it to bear fruit. I'm sure you know, but the fruit won't just taste different, it might taste horrible. It could be sour, or bitter, or mealy and tasteless. It could also taste better than any cherry on the market, but that's not very likely. Good luck.
>>
>>2767936
>You should also look into ways to extend the planting zone of fruit trees. Planting next to a wall that retains heat could be enough to get it to bear fruit. I'm sure you know, but the fruit won't just taste different, it might taste horrible. It could be sour, or bitter, or mealy and tasteless. It could also taste better than any cherry on the market, but that's not very likely. Good luck
A king among men, thank you for the excellent advice
>>
>>2767936
Interesting
>>
Bros I need some advice. I have a half acre lot of land that I currently mow with a brush cutter. The land is not smooth enough for a regular mower and doing it all by hand every few weeks in the summer sucks ass.
Are there any mowers that can chew through thick-ish growth on an uneven surface but don't cost 15k?
>>
>>2763883
shoot it
>>
From personal experience, sungold tomatoes grown in certain growing conditions taste like fruit.
>>
I think the following plants might be a good idea to grow in a small space for vitamin c or entertainment:

Vitamin C:
>greens, maybe lettuce or bokchoi
>dwarf peas if they fit

Entertainment:
>microdwarf tomatoes
>herbs

I've heard microdwarfs tend to taste bad, but that there are some average tasting ones.
>>
>>2763672
I know that it can be unexpectedly beneficial for farming if you do it just right. Wife's family used to have a huge farm pretty far north in Canada.

Growing season is short, but ~20 hours of direct sunlight a day makes the right crops grow insanely fast during that short growing season.
>>
>>2768618
The herbs and the greens are great for small spaces. You could try growing a larger variety of tomatoes in a hanging planter.
>>
>>2768618
Strawberries could also work for small spaces.
>>
>>2768273
I would also like to know this.
I've got about half an acre of land behind the house where I sold all the big trees for lumber.
What remains is some small trees and a bunch of weeds.

I want to use a chunk of it for a big garden. Wife wants some of it to be grass so the kid has a place to play. But right now it's way too uneven and overgrown for a regular mower.
Are there any options here other than rending some heaving equipment to level it?
>>
>>2763672
you need to know your zone.
>>2763883
there is no absolute protection from hawks, that's what the hawk is, it's what hawks do. We don't let our chicks out for uh....reasons.
>>2767409
move onto someone elses for a few months
>>2768273
Just get a ride on and set the catcher high.
You might just want to grade your lot, because think about it how many years are you gong to put up with before you're going to wish you graded it/
>>2769404
no matter how high grass is you can clear it with a line trimmer, the line trimmer can be used to mulch grass and light undergrowth.
A ride behind skid is probably sufficient
>>
Todays work:
Chainsawed up three ton of tree which fell on my shed, did some line trimming, started fixing a fence.
There's just too much work, it's not fair.

Vegetable garden has now gone totally to shit, chicken coop ruined, garden is overgrown. Too much work.Just can't do it on top of a job, can't pay bills if I'm not working full time, failed to monitize six different things in a row
>>
>>2769522
Learn strategies to minimize your labor. Try reading Ruth Stout's "No Work Garden Book". What happened to your chicken coop?
>>
>>2769521
>there is no absolute protection from hawks, that's what the hawk is, it's what hawks do. We don't let our chicks out for uh....reasons.
Imprisoning animals is cope for low IQ

>>2769522
Coops are completely non-essential. Just keep healthy breeds in a healthy environment and they can handle themselves fine
>>
places in the western US that will likely stay red in the coming decades?
>>
Red what?
>>
Has anyone here grown wild boar farms tomatoes?
>>
File: IMG20221219164349.jpg (1.49 MB, 3072x4096)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>2768273
can you just rent heavy machinery for a day and flatten it all up?
>>
>>2763950
>least maintenance
Sheep
>most delicious?
This is subjective, but it surely isn't sheep.

Cow is the highest maintenance.
>>
>>2769948
???
>>
File: 1703066908504517.jpg (33 KB, 640x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2769948
>>
File: XEarth Dome 013-new.jpg (768 KB, 1200x801)
768 KB
768 KB JPG
I want an underground concrete domed house so bad bros
>>
>>2769948
I hate californians and easterners moving here so fucking much bros. I feel bad for thr carolinas as well. They've been completely overrun with disgusting new york and new jersey people. Why is ot so hard to just stay in your fucking containment zone
>>
File: 1716802369243770.jpg (51 KB, 294x294)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2770488
>>
File: rabbits.jpg (2.03 MB, 3024x4032)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
got the chickens
got the rabbits
what next?
>>
>>2770488
As far as CA goes, jerks from every where else moved here and priced us out. We don't want to leave, but we can't stay if want anything resembling the American Dream.
>>
talk me out of getting some guineas
>>
>>2770501
A dog to guard them
>>
File: Untitled-design.jpg (74 KB, 851x315)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2770501
Quail for meat? They need a pretty high protein diet though.
>>2770530
They are very fucking loud and annoying in their warning call. Deafening when you get like a few dozen together.
>>
>>2770501
How much space and yard do you have? If you have a grass lawn or field I'd suggest goats. If you have a large family and lots of food scraps get pigs. You can also take the pigs into nearby woods, they'll gorge on fungus and nuts.
>>
>>2770501
Mealworms.
>>
Anyone here ever mixed alfalfa into a wildflower planting? Really want to put wildflowers and native grass in under my foodplot trees but would like to dilute it with alfalfa to increase forage and decrease cost.
>>2763883
Go to harbor freight or similar and get a cheap shade net. Rig it up about 3 foot above the ground so they can run under it
>>2763950
Goats by a mile. The milk tastes like shit, but sheep are labor intensive retards and cows are resource intensive.
>>2764204
>>2764206
>>2764381
At least in my experience anything hard feathered and especially the oriental breeds absolutely suck in the cold so remember your climate. I bought a trio of yellow leg hatch a few years ago and have been breeding hatch over rc brown leghorn hens. They do better than anything else I've ever raised in the yard. True gamefowl can be hard to find and expensive, but if you ever bump into some cheap then they are 100% worth it to play around with their genetics.
>>2767668
Chickens are better than hogs in my opinion, but rabbits are way better than either. Hay is cheap and it takes all of 90 seconds to process a rabbit, fuck plucking. Also the ONLY chickens worth raising for meat are cornish cross, don't buy the bullshit about dual purpose breeds.
>>2770530
Loud assholes that are hard to pluck and taste like shit. But I have roughly 30, so I can't tell you not to. The do make a good alarm.
>>
>>2765392
>just like all the faggots itt who are worrying about which breed of chickens to get, just get barred rocks or rhode island reds.
You are correct, and also completely wrong. The absolute best thing about chickens is the incredible genetic diversity available. With the right starting stock and enough time you can mix and match to create the perfect bird for any environment/management style. Br/rir are both great breeds, and if you are just starting off with birds definitely get them (or pretty much any feedstore breed), but it's also a lot of fun to go to poultry shows and find other breeds. I go to 4-5 shows a year just to see what's available, and I'll buy anything I think will help my birds. Started with a black jersey giant cock and was so impressed with his chicks that I decided to make it a rule to bring home a rooster every time I go to a show. I've bred in black jersey giant, white rock, buff orpington, gold laced Wyandotte, blue langshan, dark cornish, dark brahma, and black australorp over the years. I keep the hens I like, I sell the ones I don't, and after 7 years I love my birds more than any true breed. Two years ago I started a "light flock" when I got my hatch. Bought a bunch of brown leghorns to breed him to and I love the results. Just this weekend I picked up a brown red old English cock hoping to add a little more hardiness and body to them. No idea what comes next, but I'm sure it will be something not single combed because I hate single combs. Start with something basic, but you should definitely be adding better every chance you get.
>>
>>2769602
sometimes i read these threads and think
>that's the stupidest fucking thing i'll ever read
then this fucker comes along and just destroys my entire reality.
>>
>>2769948
none of them
>>
>>2770710
Malding
>>
File: 1697779627210627.jpg (3.67 MB, 4032x3024)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
Moved into a new little house, this is is a portion of the garden, there's a lot of debris in it from the construction. Can I improve this soil without digging away a whole layer? It's a rental so I don't want to go overboard.
There's going to be a hedge around the perimeter, I'm thinking of planting some stuff that's useful for butterflies and small birds, nothing high maintenance. Location is The Netherlands.
>>
>>2770680
>Anyone here ever mixed alfalfa into a wildflower planting?
I have alfalfa in my lawn and growing around the property because it used to be used to grow hay. Unless you mow it regularly it will get 2-3' tall. If you mow it then it behaves just like clovers do. I see my chickens forage from it occasionally, but mostly it feeds grasshoppers.
>>
>>2771119
Sure. Kill the weeds or smother them with a mulch and water the soil with compost/manure tea or diluted expired milk products until the fertility is restored. You might want to broadfork it to relieve compaction, but the microbes in the tea/milk should help alleviate minor compaction already.
>>
>>2771119
>>2771124
Planting radishes is an alternative to broadforking the soil. Either harvest them or let them rot.
>>
>>2771124
>>2771125
Interesting, thanks.
>>
Are electric weed burners worth a damn?
>>
File: 1715728366105726.png (838 KB, 637x853)
838 KB
838 KB PNG
>>2771124
I was thinking of renting or maybe buying 2nd hand one of these things to process the soil. Could I use this to maul the weed and at the same time incorporate fertilizer into the ground?
>>
>>2771139
Yes, they work just fine for ripping out bullshit. HOWEVER, it's a bit of a chore to continually have to stop to cut the accumulated material off the axle (it gets wound up pretty tight on it as it spins)
>>
>>2771139
You can, but make sure to call and have the utilities marked before you use it so you don't cut any lines. I forgot to say that watering a mycorrhizal inoculant into the soil will also help with soil fertility. Tilling will kill soil fungi so out it down afterwards.
>>
>>2771119
Be mindful of not planting shit there that you'd eat, in case they poisoned the perimeter for bugs and shit.
>>
Lost almost all my corn to earwigs. How do I prevent this in the future?
>>
>>2771300
Earwigs eat a lot of pests so getting rid of them might make your problem worse. Are you sure the earwigs are eating your corn and not just living in ears damaged by other pests?
>>
>>2771315
To my knowledge earlier wigs will eat the little hair like strands in the ears, which allows microorganisms and other insects in. You could be right though.
>>
Do you guys actually make money off your homesteads or is this just poverty with extra steps?
>>
>>2771474
The biggest problem with the silk being eaten is that it fucks up pollination. You can try building earwig nests/traps and moving them to the perimeter of your field so you aren't outright killing them. If you see less damage then it was definitely the earwigs. Worms are another common pest that eats silks. Try adding a drop of oil to the base of the silk where it emerges from the corn on some section of your field and if that stops the damage then you have some kind of worm. It could also be flea beetles since you said your leaves are getting eaten too
>>
>>2771486
Both can be true. People who are into homesteading usually prize the self sufficiency, or at least it's illusion, over monetary gain. Homesteaders would make more money by growing cash crops instead of raising sheep or whatever, but they like that they have meat and wool and such more than they would like to have the money from the cash crops. Ideally you'd have enough land for all of your homesteading projects with a decent amount of space left over for cash crops.
>>
I have a thought:
>get big chunk of land that gets adequate rainfall
>seed bomb thornless blackberries
>??
Free berries I guess. Maybe good for lazy gardening.
>>
>>2771605
Thornless blackberries can turn thorny with time.
Also if you have so many of them you'll inevitably attract a ton of blackberry pests, monoculture cropping requires a ton of pesticides for a reason.
You are always better off planting diverse edibles if you want to be lazy.
>>
>>2771605
Make a whole food forest. Fruit trees, berry bushes, random vegetables and leafy greens, root vegetables, herb ground covers, ect. Sheet compost in the forest instead of turning a pile. Forage every day and store whatever is in season for as long as you can and you'll could have a huge variety of meals year round. Look into edible native plants too. Those can definitely grow without much care.
>>
>>2771631
can you post a picture of yours, for some inspiration?
>t. has 7 acres of random shit growing, might as well use it productively.
>>
>>2771679
not them but this inspired the heck out of me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1HWOQg8-L4

There is a whole series of Bill Mollison "The global gardener" where he establishes permaculture all over the world before people in America even had heard of it.

This guy is more reticent and actually visits the sites started by Bill Mollison.
https://www.youtube.com/@amillison

There is also the dude in Saudi Arabia that used permaculture methods to re-green parts of coastal Saudi Arabia.

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/gulf/2022/05/30/Saudi-Arabia-s-NEOM-launches-regreening-initiative-to-plant-100-mln-trees-by-2030
>>
>>2771679
I wish I had a food forest. I'm not living on my own land so I don't have full control over what I can do. I just made a bunch of cider and vinegar from the apple tree we have here and next spring I'll air layer some of the higher branches so we can have more trees that are easier to pick from. The berry patch should be ready to start harvesting from next year too. I've got raspberries and blackberries with strawberries in between. That's the closest I've been able to come to making a food forest so far. Once I get my own land I can start really getting into it.
>>
cut up a bunch of wood for next year. fuck that tree.
weeding and mulching as to get done ASAP and I still need to buy plants in.
>>
>>2763883
It's almost Halloween.
Get one of those ghost/skeletons/ghouls that move around and adapt it into a scarecrow. You can get one with just head and arms for like 10 bucks.
Plug in an AC adapted and jump the switch so it's always moving.
>>
>>2772548
Or get an inflatable tube man
>>
Is keeping bees in your garden as based as it appears?
>>
File: images.jpg (16 KB, 232x217)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>2772552
There's quite a bit of a learning curve if you're doing European honey bees and plan to harvest the honey. There's a lot of potential for disease that can fuck over other people's bees too, there's a lot of maintenance, a ton of equipment you have to get. But the honey is nice, although it will probably be a year or so before they produce a meaningful amount, you will likely produce more than enough for yourself.

If you're talking about just attracting bees, that's based and easy.
>>
>>2772574
>If you're talking about just attracting bees, that's based and easy.
Yeah the harvesting thing is probably a bit much. I'm starting to lean towards going for a 'wild garden'. Indigenous plants/flowers, maybe a little wall of stacked chopped wood to leave to rot and such things.

I'm this guy >>2771119 btw.
>>
>>2772577
Drill a bunch of holes in some wood so native solitary bees can use them
>>
>>2772608
good idea
>>
what's your favourite green manure to seed in september?
>>
>>2763883
Get a rooster. Preferably from a cockfighting breed, or Marans, Brahma, Ayam Cemani (or any other breed with strong fighting genes) if you're somewhere where you can't get fighters.
My Marans rooster (from a french / belgian fighting line) is perfectly docile most of the time, but doesn't hesitate to attack cats and dogs. Though it also attacked me the one time I had to get an injured hen (with a prolapse) out of the yard and to the vet. Hawks and buzzards sit in the trees in my backyards every now and then, but they never dare to attack.
>>2772552
Only if your garden is large. Unless you want to go all in and start breeding bees, they'll turn more and more aggressive over the years. Though on the plus side, they'll also get more honey, and be less likely to get killed by wasps and hornets.
During summer, most bees around where I am (mine included) will patrol around the hive and attack anything within 10m or so.
If you have the space though, keeping them is easy. Just have to learn about how to treat varroa (formic acid is easiest and safest, oxalic acid aerosol is most reliable, but can kill you if you mess up), when to harvest (when 2/3 of comb is closed and no honey drips out when shaking) and how much to feed after harvest (to 15-20kg, depending on how strong the hive is). And if you're using magazine hives, when to add another box (depends on climate and breed - from 75-90% of comb covered in bees)
>>
File: 1710246474062736.png (3.52 MB, 987x1316)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB PNG
Goddamn so much debris
>>
File: 1700985679401191.png (3.39 MB, 987x1316)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB PNG
>>
>>2772795
>>2772797
SIEVE.
>>
>>2772913
I know, not looking forward to a fuck tonne of work, or having to rent machinery.
>>
>>2770501
Try pasturing your rabbits. Salatin style seems to work best where the kits are in cage for the first 5 weeks and finish the last 7 weeks on grass.

I've tried a couple of rabbit tractors and the Salatin design is the best. The wood slats on the bottom are critical, the grazing impact is much better with slats than with cage wire floor.
>>
File: IMG_20240424_185209280.jpg (2.7 MB, 4000x3000)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>2771486
I keep records of everything to make sure I make a "profit" (even when I don't sell, it needs to make more food per hour worked than my engineering job).

For people who don't make a profit, there are still so many benefits that I wouldn't think of it like a hobby for entertainment. Done right, the health effects are unmatched. I see billionaires all the time who theoretically should be the healthiest and yet farmers and homesteaders are healthier. It's helped me a lot more than the gym or sports on their own we're doing for me.
>>
>>2771486
If you are in just for profit it just isn't worth it.
Some grifters will claim you can make a lot of money by putting a few hours per week but that's simply not true, just taking overtime or second job will give you better monetary return on time with none of capital investment and risk of crop failure.

While you can break even or make small profit, the actual benefits are healthy food and very enjoyable outdoors hobby, not money.
To make actual money, not just poverty with extra steps you need to do industrial mono crop agriculture like all the large farms but it's not easy line of work and you need a ton of capital investment.
>>
>>2773204
No you just have to specialize in overpriced hipster varieties or weed. You can make money by rasing things like sprouts and produce that is unavailable in grocery stores.

Or just grow weed
>>
>>2771486
There's a reason we call it LARPsteading
>>
>>2773255
Most small farms are hobby farms run by idiot boomers so they can brag about being farmers.
They use awful farming practices and put farms where they absolutely don't belong.

Idaho/WA forests are loaded with clearcuts kept barren because some idiot wants to rase 4 cows.
>>
>>2772577
Yeah that changes a lot. Actual honey harvesting is honestly a rabbit hole of learning the intricacies of the brutal bee ways. Just having native bees around is a lot less work. Most people are going to assume you're looking to harvest honey, so unless you clarify you're just looking to attract natives, bee keepers are probably gonna give you a ton of advice you won't need. If you want to attract bees, make sure you're getting native flowers and the correct type of flowers; some flowers are more geared towards birds and shit. Also they need a bit of water. I know some people despise bees, I've never been bothered by bees or wasps
>wild garden
based. I'm doing my landscape that way after our normally wet af swamp had back-to-back droughts that killed everyone's expensive bushes and flowers. Know what didn't die though? the fuckin 'weeds'.

>>2773285
>run by idiot boomers
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this experience. It really gave me hope that this is doable. I'm not looking to make a profit, just hopefully not be too much in the hole. The way boomers still do shit the way their parents did, before the ability to search a world full of knowledge, is fucking infuriating.
>>
>>2773360
There are lots of examples of dudes that make a living off of two city lots. Mushroom farmers need even less space. Livestock aren't profitable unless you have a LOT of livestock--otherwise the FDA regs will regulate you out of profitability.

The only way to make money off of cattle with a small farm is to harvest magic mushrooms.
>>
>>2773175
>it needs to make more food per hour worked than my engineering job)
i'm with you on the health benefits and the general satisfaction, but more food per hour worked an engineering job sounds like a big stretch
>>
File: 1725287967907510.jpg (306 KB, 1439x1730)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Bros my wife is too lazy to learn anything about anything even sewing
>>
>>2773562
>2024
>Getting married
Why would you enter a contract that benefits the other party when broken and is of no benefit to you at all?
>>
>>2773565
Idk I was drunk
>>
>>2771119
Godspeed
>>
>tfw my room is like a 200m away from my own kitchen
>dont feel like taking a mini hike from my room in middle of the night when I facny couple of snacks
>get fridge in my room
>microwave
>get heatpad stove
>camp pot
>cookware/dishes
>before I know it its like a mini kitchen up in my bedroom
have to put my fryer in the bathroom tho cause it will stank up the whole room
>>
Is there a general guide that /hsg/ has or a list of recommended resources? Trying to start gardening and would love to eventually try homesteading but am an utterly ignorant urbanite with zero experience. Someone recommended this as a good book to start with.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/529041.How_to_Grow_More_Vegetables
>>
>>2773752
Check >>2768315
>>
>>2773753
I mean the pastebin, it has a lot of books
>>
>>2773755
Fug, I was looking for a pastebin link but never checked the previous thread. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>2773758
It's not the same general, /HGM/ is just about growing stuff
>>
>>2773752
Make sure you have decent soil to grow in. I assume you're buying some, but you could test and amend whatever soil you have available. The best book I've read in the subject is "Building Soils for Better Crops" by Fred Magdoff and Harold Van Es. You should find out what zone you're in and pull up a planting calendar for your zone. You should be able to get a couple harvests of radishes and some brassicas in. You can plant onions, garlic, and other alliums to harvest next year. Asparagus, horseradish, and other perennials grown from roots or crowns are good to get in the ground soon. It wouldn't be a bad time to start experimenting with an indoor herb garden, especially if you intend to start your own seeds a month or two before last frost.

What are your goals?
>>
hey all, I got a bestnestbox rollout chicken box and the chickens HATE the padding in it. It's been a month and they ignored it, so I replaced it with some cheap walmart pads and now they love the box.
The problem is these nest pads are torn apart instantly so the eggs don't roll.
What can I put in there instead?
>>
>>2773873
Maybe a coir mat?
>>
>>2763583
You think I could homeless homestead?
>>
>>2773882
>coir mat
I just bought some fake turf, if it doesn't work out then I'll go that route, thanks.
>>
>>2773903
No problem. Let us know how it works out.
>>
>>2773886
Yeah pretty easily
>>
Any good 3d garden design software?
>>
Good Morning, /hsg/, do yall know of any chart or directory where I can see what mycorrhizal fungi goes with what crops? I've seen a lot of research on the benefits of a strong fungi network in gardens but I haven't seen any real consistent source on finding what species goes well with what.
>>
File: 1705718054125531.png (3.43 MB, 987x1316)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB PNG
At this point I figured I had deserved a hot shower and a couple beers. Can't even fit it all in the container.
>>
>>2775464
The species isn't really important. The most important feature for mycorrhizae is whether it's endomycorrhizal or ectomycorrhizal. A lot of people consider collecting local, wild fungi to be better than buying an inoculant. Most inoculants are glomus species and glomus doesn't really have species because they're highly multinucleate and trade their nuclei around freely, so you have to worry about it even less. I just use an inoculant on plants that are not in non-mycorrhizal families. This is the list I use for that.

https://mycorrhizas.info/nmplants.html#nmlist

I hope some of that helps.
>>
What's the easiest to install edging? In this case to keep wood chips from leaving the area.
>>
>>2775820
Cinder blocks filled with dirt and planted in
>>
File: 1559000586569.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Okay, I'm new to gardening and need some advice.

I'm using jiffy pods, and put three seeds in each jiffy pod to make sure at least one sprouts. When should I kill two of the seedlings in the pods that three sprouted in? A good amount of pods, 3 seedlings sprouted, some only 2, and some only 1.

How should I destroy the extra seedlings? Yanking them out seems like a bad idea.
>>
>>2776354
Just leave them. Most plants do better growing as a pair. If you really feel the need then just pinch the stem near the bottom. Jiffy pods have a plastic collar around them and they're made from peat moss, so next time consider using a coconut coir based product. There's pellets that you can put in seed starting trays that fill the cells when they're hydrated. You can also get a block of it and make your own seeds starting mix. I recommend adding crushed lump charcoal soaked for a couple weeks in a liquid fertilizer like compost tea. It will act as a slow release fertilizer. Adding a mycorrhizal inoculant will help stimulation germination.
>>
>>2776451
Well the jiffy pods are small so the seedlings are very close together. Wouldn't they be heavily competing for nutrients that close and it would hamper growth?
>>
>>2776459
Kind of, but not really. Usually they produce better when they grow like that. Tomatoes and peppers do better as pairs, and spring onions and herbs do better as small bunches to give a few examples. You might be interested in reading about intercropping as well.
>>
File: 1707181655068023.png (1.04 MB, 1024x702)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
How much garden space do you need to feed a family of 4? What types of plants do you recommend growing in zone 6 for that purpose?
>>
>>2776506
Whatever the deer like to eat most
>>
>>2768289
Sadly, they're Federally Protected. So that's not "actionable advice" if you catch my drift. Also, unlike Racoons, it won't deter future attacks from other ones in the slightest.
>>2763883
My dog is best buds with the chickens. They love to follow him around the yard. Obviously he keeps danger birds away.
>>
File: ThreeSisters.jpg (101 KB, 800x1200)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>2773576
As good a reason as any.
At least kids are a great source of free labor once they grow up enough to stop crapping themselves.
>>
>>2776506
Depends on what you grow. A cash crop that you grow and sell will usually take less space to feed you all year than growing the vegetables. Google "yield per acre" and "plants per acre" for anything you want to grow and use that to decide how much space to devote to how many plants. Intercropping can also help to reduce the area you need to devote to crops. Make sure you know how to store your vegetables all year. You might want to read the "No Work Garden Book" by Ruth Stout. Her method of mulching saves quite a bit of labor.
>>
File: 1719220842231432.png (198 KB, 600x600)
198 KB
198 KB PNG
do these things stay upright well? I feel like the spikes should be longer. I could have something like this lasercut at work out of stainless.
>>
>>2763950
I have a small bread of cow, mixed from swiss grey mountain ones. Meat is hard and tasteless, milk and chese is bleah. Butter is the only worth product out of it.

Goat milk and meat are bleah... they tend to be a pain to grow them...

On the other hand i always enjoy sheep meat, cheese and yoghurt. Newer had my own but if it would depend on me to decide alone. Some good breed of sheep will do the job for a private person
>>
File: dende.jpg (63 KB, 375x455)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>want a 1.5 acre property in nj so I don't have to leave my 80k job.
>the cheapest lots are 350k
>>
File: BatJEgj.png (354 KB, 510x359)
354 KB
354 KB PNG
>mfw digging through a garden bed I left for a couple of years, where I tried to keep weeds down with old amazon boxes

Tape aside, I'm not really convinced. The soil looks worse than before.
>>
Quick question

I have a bunch of 2 gallon pots. How many roses could I plant in each pot? The more, the better, but when does it become too many?
>>
>>2777605
>>
>>2777639
Ultimately a 2 gallon container isn't going to be big enough for a mature rose so I would say 1 per planter and then transplant them again when they outgrow it.
>>
>>2777615
Cardboard isn't supposed to improve your soil, it's supposed to smother really bad weeds like grass.
>>
>>2777924
Cardboard can be okay in compost, earth worms like it if you soak it enough.
>>
>>2778021
Any carbon source will be great in compost, but it won't help kill your grass.
>>
File: 1691716153788527.jpg (55 KB, 344x336)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
I have a fuckton of sawdust from coconut wood and I want to compost it with urine. Will it reek of my piss, and if so how do I keep it from smelling? I'm worried about my neighbors complaining
>>
>>2778112
is it on the ground and can flow out into dirt? i piss into my 64 sqft garden every other night and it smells great desu
>>
>>2778112
If it smells like piss add more carbon
>>
>>2778112
If I had a ton of sawdust I would dump it into plastic bags and inoculate with oyster mushroom
>>
>>2778164
You should go to a coffee shop or gas station and ask the manager if they'll hold their used coffee grounds for you and then grow mushrooms on that.
>>
quail or rabbits for a tiny ass garden?
>>
>>2778454
Do you want meat and pelts, or meat and eggs? Quail will probably be less destructive if they get into your garden. Either way add 2% crushed lump charcoal to their feed and they won't smell as bad.
>>
>>2778454
Rabbits cost less to feed but no eggs.
>>
>>2778459
>>2778511
I feel like quail might be easier to butcher, is that true?
>>
>>2777605
350k is cheap bro. My House was that before covid, but its 500k after it.
>>
>>2778574
That's for undeveloped land retard
>>
>>2778571
I've never raised quail. I feel like their bones would be easier to break and slice through
>>
File: IMG-20240927-132355873.jpg (1.64 MB, 1648x4032)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
saw this at a thrift store
its pretty old, the rubber gasket is hard as a rock & fused to the lid, can't exactly tell how old though; i'm guessing at least 10 years, could be up to 20 even
its about 1' tall, so theres a lot of seeds, i think they're all popcorn
i wonder how viable they still are
>>
>>2778571
I think they're easier. You can guillotine them with a good sharp pair of shears. Their feathers are like built to be pulled off. I think Coturnix quail have been bred for meat for so long they've been made fairly easy to butcher. Rabbits are a lot cheaper to feed though, especially if you're looking to make your own feed.
>>
besides quail/duck/geese/turkey any other non chicken birds worth raising?
guinea seems like... n of birds?
>>
>>2779184
guineas are good, rheas too
>>
File: 1717484081398356.png (224 KB, 798x594)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
How hard would it be for a novice to install edging nice and straight?
>>
>>2779306
If you don't trust your eyes you can just use a string, so not hard
>>
>>2779184
Guineas are inferior to chickens in all ways. I don't understand why people keep these annoying meme birds that scream obnoxiously and die easily
>>
>>2779184
Squab.
>>
>>2779438
Pest control
>>
File: 1726811266324937.png (9 KB, 1450x480)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
I could have something like this laser cut at work, out of stainless or otherwise. You think it would make for convenient edging to keep my wood chips from traveling? I could put some holes/slots at the ends to screw them together.
>>
Is it possible to grow fruit and veggies in your office cubicle? Yes I'm a wage cuck
>>
>>2779747
You could grow some hostas. They're edible and grow in the poor light of an office.
>>
>>2779747
Coffee berries
Coffee plant needs little light being natural understory plant, in fact if you put them in full sun or partial shade their leaves will scald.
Makes sure to not get Coffea Robusta, it's not self-fertile like Coffea Arabica
Also unless you have a source of fresh coffee berries don't even try growing from seeds, coffee seeds lose viability very fast unless stored in perfect conditions.
>>
>>2779747
Not without grow lights. Try herbs. They need a lot less light.
>>
>>2779747
Not really, you are asking for very narrow set of requirements:
>Needs very little light
>Grows without any chill hours
>Thrives in dry, stale office air
>Small enough to fit inside cubicle
>Must be productive in first few years
>Must be self fertile
There are very few plants that meet those requirements, coffee maybe idk but they take at least 3-4 years to bear fruits, likely way more in those conditions
As the other anon said you really need grow lights if you want to get anything in reasonable time frame
>>
>>2779438
99% for ticks.
>>2779184
Depends on what you want em for. I know some people that raise doves and pigeon for meat, but I think you covered your top producers there. So unless you just really like pigeon meat, probably better to stick with the meat birds.
If there's any demand in your area, some places will rent out peacocks and doves to venues, usually for weddings. Idk the logistics of this though, how you'd get them back.
>>2778923
I'm not a plant person, but no one has replied yet so I figured I'd add my 2 cents; I don't think seeds in that container would be viable after even a few years. I've had seeds that were preserved vacuum sealed which weren't viable after 5 years. But like I said I'm not a plant person. It wouldn't hurt to try.
>>
>>2778923
Do a germination test. Pull ten kernels and germinate them in a flat. The number of sprouts will show you roughly the proportion of seeds that are viable.
>>
>>2779487
>>2779788
My gamefowl have cleared all of my land from ticks and other pests. They lay more eggs than guinea, they're less annoying, and they're far tougher

I've never heard of an established guinea flock. They all need their numbers manually replenished. Meanwhile my flock doubles in size every year
>>
>>2779805
They eat more insects per bird than chickens because they have different dietary requirements
>>
anybody here who makes their own butter? I got a slab from the farmer's market last week and honestly it's offensively sweet. it's true that I'm much too used to store bought butter but it's almost as if they put sugar or honey in it, when I use it for frying the entire house smells like ice cream and to a sickening degree. Is this normal?
>>
>>2779871
Its called sweet cream butter. What did you expect? The store bought stuff is probably just watered down or maybe they slipped some s.oy in there (no shit)
>>
I want to get into fungi but it scares me a little if I pick the wrong one.

Is something like picrel a good way to enter the fungi realm?
>>
>>2780185
Get books on growing mushrooms.
>>
>>2780185
Fuck no, this is overpriced garbage, you can buy a bale of straw already inoculated with fungi wrapped in plastic for way less than that.
If you want to do it yourself all you need is a plastic bag, something to disinfect it, food for fungi like coffee grounds, straw, sawdust, etc and fungi itself.
The other anon is right get a book on growing shrooms before you buy anything.
>>
I need help.

I have 100 jiffy pods with seedlings under a grow light. My seedlings have 1-2 inch of growth. They're under a LED grow light. At first, the seedlings directly under the grow light turned yellow and withered. I thought maybe the light is too much intensity, so I cut the growth light down to 70% luminosity. But now more of my seedlings are turning yellow.

I'm watering the seedlings by soaking the pods in water then taking them out of the water so I don't think it could be overwatering. I've been watering them every 3 days. I was using Schultz all purpose plant food at 1/4 dilution but I've stopped watering them with that today. I have the seedlings in batch containers with about 15 pods per container, and it seems like mostly the seedlings are turning yellow in the same batches rather than randomly all over.

I may have been giving them too much light forgetting to turn the lights off a bunch of nights. Could that be the culprit? Or maybe it's the fertilizer, but I was using the fertilizer at a very low dilution.
>>
>>2780185
that contraption seems kinda neat but like the other anon said you can do it for a lot cheaper. lions mane mushroom though is a good idea to start with, it fruits readily and is pretty forgiving. i grew it in buckets of leftover coffee grounds from starbucks lol
>>
>>2780185
You can literally use any plastic tub you buy at walmart. Watch Boomer Shroomer
>>
anyone have experience growing cushaw squash?

i nabbed like 300 seeds off a fuckin huge one i saw on display
thing was about the size of those decorative jackolanterns, but with a huge thick neck to boot, so i'd like to grow them next year
should i try out the 3 sisters method?
i got some really good climbing bean & would like to grow some flint corn, so it seems like it would even out
>>
>>2764423
Advice for starters?
>>
>>2780185
>>2780194
>>2780208
>>2780361
>>2780387
These. You can use crushed lump charcoal in place of vermiculite in any mushroom medium recipe. It's a lot cheaper. If you aren't going to sterilize it then make sure you at least pasteurize the charcoal.
>>
>>2780360
>it seems like mostly the seedlings are turning yellow in the same batches rather than randomly all over.
This sounds like some kind of soilborne disease spreading through your seedlings, but there shouldn't be any disease in the jiffy pods or your fertilizer. Plants shouldn't turn yellow from too much light unless they're really being fried either. It could be that you aren't giving them enough fertilizer. How many true leaves do they have?
>>
>>2779871
Milk is sweet from lactose, if the butter is less pure, it could contain more lactose I guess. I have never made butter, made cheese though.
>>
File: homestead 1_5 acre.png (3.88 MB, 1604x2003)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB PNG
>>
File: homestead 1-4 acre.png (594 KB, 768x1024)
594 KB
594 KB PNG
>>2780912
>>
File: homestead 1-10_1-2-acre.png (1.62 MB, 773x2046)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>>2780913
>>
File: homestead 1-acre.jpg (3.8 MB, 3329x1833)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB JPG
>>2780916
>>
File: homestead 2-acre.jpg (383 KB, 768x2383)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
>>2780917
>>
File: homestead 5-acre.jpg (294 KB, 1023x592)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>2780920
>>
>>2780923
>>
File: homestead 25x50-Foot.jpg (156 KB, 736x940)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>2780924
>>
Cultivation is one of the most fundamental and uniquely human activities.
Someone who isn't willing to garden and looks down on farming is a lower animal, not a human.
It's equivalent to refusing to walk on two legs.
>>
>>2779772
Have you grown coffee plants yourself?
If so which varieties?
Thinking of getting a hawaii (Coffea arabica 'Kona') and a wild bengali (Coffea benghalensis).
>>
>>2781172
Yes but I don't know the variety.
I bought it on a whim 4 years ago back then I didn't know anything about coffee plants, it was only marked as Coffea Arabica.
>>
File: homesteadnepo.png (1.36 MB, 1259x814)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
Daily reminder all "homesteaders" and land owners in america are rich nepo kids(see video) or baby boomers hoarding being greedy trying to resell it to offload it to zoomers stuck living in their cars.

It's been decades since truly free homesteading has been an actual thing where you could just settle on a piece of land.

https://youtu.be/4_W6MSyTCO8
>>
>>2781298
You're not wrong. It's nearly impossible to get a decent piece of land for a reasonable price.
>>
>>2781298
Nahhh, you're just poor and naive I guess.
Staunchly middle class here and own land, nothing too special about it.
>>
>>2781355
Hello Kyle.
>>
>>2781355
>Nahhh, you're just poor and naive I guess.
Holy retardo.
>>
>>2781426
Bitch please, saying that the ONLY PEOPLE who own land are some class of mythical shabbos goy boomers or trust fundies is just on its face, dumb.

The anon I replied too is probably a nihilstic, absolutely insufferable 19 year old CUNT who somehow believes he's entitled to everything in life with zero effort or ability; and when pressed will screech about:
>boomers
>jews

I fucking guarantee.
>>
>>2781298
I've got land but I'm almost 30, it's in a shithole, and I have terrible neighbors. Granted, I also wouldn't call myself a larpsteader. Got the money for the land, and now I'm housepoor and have no money for larpsteading.
>>
>>2781520
This

>>2781433
>>2781355
Bad larp
>>
>>2781520
>now I'm housepoor
You are now aware that this term was invented by boomers to describe themselves.
>>
>>2781541
2019:
>find 3.x acres of land for 58k
>quote from builder for 142k to build house
>~30k for site dev/well
>10k for permits
>get building loan; converted to conventional mortgage after completion, 242k financed @ ~4.5%.
>Appraised at 390k
>house + land now valued at ~550k (thanks covid)
>cash out refinance @ 2.875%, take 60k and buy adjacent 4 acre plot

I make 90k, wife makes 75k, our mortgage on just shy of 7 acres and a 2019 house is about 1,400 a month. Neither of us come from any kind of family money and aren't particularly lucky. We don't do the whole larpstead thing, it's too hilly and I like having trees on the property too much to clear any of it.
>inb4 flyover country
>>
stupid question but anything useful worth buying on amadong you'd recommend? got a bunch of gift cards recently
>>
>>2781668
Depends on what you grow/raise and what you already have. I recently bought an apple press from Amazon. It's canning season so you could get lids or a canner and a rack. If you have animals to slaughter then you could get a vacuum sealer or a bunch of freezer paper.
>>
>>2781668
Depends what you need man, I bought extendable pole saw there and it's great
>>
>>2763583
any good resources for how to get started gardening? I want to get into growing my favorite foods like strawberries, potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes and I've been kinda down too and thought this would help.
>>
>>2781910
Check pastebin from >>2775485 , there is a lot of stuff there
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87
>>
File: heirlooms.jpg (116 KB, 1244x829)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>2781910
Heirloom tomatoes. You will never want "normal" tomatoes ever again, they are like how it should be. Generic tomatoes are not the most flavourful type by a longshot, but they take longer to spoil and are therefore more cost-effective to produce. But trust me, heirlooms are the real deal.

Next season i am going to grow a ton of them myself, as well as various species of chillis from sweet and flavourful to extremely hot.
>>
>>2776569
>federally protected
not if you bury it in the ground and burn the locator on the side of a road
>>
>>2776570
great way to make them resent you and abandon you once they become capable adults while you'll be shitting your pants all alone kek
>>
>>2776569
>They love to follow him around the yard.
They are working out whether they can eat him.
>>
>>2781974
Brandywines ftw
>>
Cool gardening thread!
>>
>>2781668
Don't buy seeds from amabong, you'll never know what you're actually getting. There are also a lot of stores that pretend to be well-known brands, they'll add an extra space or underscore to try and trick people.
I've got a johnny apple peeler, I'm pretty pleased with it. If you make a lot of bread sweets, maybe a bread maker or a kitchenaid with a kneading attachment. I make a loaf weekly and my bread machine makes it fast as fuck, I plop the ingredients in and leave.
>>
>>2763583
>plant Romanesco broccoli for the first time because of neat spiral florets
> monster broccoli with dreams of being a palm tree grows 4 feet
>average height supposed to be 2 feet
>local town's famous garden show is this week
>Fuck yeah am I gonna show off pictures of it to gardeners who enter the annual competition for biggest and prettiest vegetables
>Internally scream I have to wait a whole year for a flower to grow so I can harvest a behemoth of a broccoli stalk to enter in to the show next year

6 year old for scale
>>
>>2781974
Korean chillis are delicious. Incredibly sweet and spicy.
>>
>>2781910
>Look up your gardening zone
>Look up heirloom varieties for [insert plant you want to grow]
> If hot dry environment look up drought tolerant and slow bolt heirloom varieties
>If cold look up cold tolerant varieties
>If short growing season, look up fast growing varieties
>If small space or container garden, look up heirloom small space varieties and choose the most prolific and disease resistant
>If you don't want to deal with diseases, look up heirloom varieties that are disease resistant

I've tricked people into thinking I'm an amazing gardener with little effort. I look for varieties that are hardy and won't die from rookie mistakes.

Plant garlic and scallions all around the edges of your garden. Do not mix them though because they fight. They will help repel insects. Here's a companion gardening chart to help plant things even closer together if space is an issue.

https://extension.wvu.edu/lawn-gardening-pests/gardening/garden-management/companion-planting

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.