[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Best city for /out/ to live in and still have a normal city job. DO NOT SAY AUSTIN TX OR YOU WILL BE REPORTED.

Picrel: Burlington VT
>>
>>2766718
South Lake Tahoe, California.
>>
>>2766719
What kinda job can you hold in Tahoe to be able to afford to live in Tahoe
>>
Burlington has gotten ridiculously expensive. Very quickly getting on the level of Bend, Bellingham, Missoula, Bozeman, Jackson, Sandpoint or Flathead County, if not already at that point. And like those western cities there’s no actual industry or economic driver that enables a working person to afford housing. It’s just rich retirees, a few WFHers (what is left of them) and speculators knowing that 1) pretty 2) 95%+ white and 3) tranquil makes for a future proofed housing market.

It’s a nice place, really it is, but it’s not affordable.

Two better options, that have good access to /out/, nice demographics and are good places to live & work
>Duluth MN
It gets meme’d up and people think it’s about to explode….then winter hits. Still, it’s in a high tier /out/ part of the USA with great employers in education, medicine, resource exctraction and aerospace.
>Madison WI
Getting spendier, and as nice as the driftless part of Wisconsin is it’s not on the level of Superior and the Northwoods. Still, you have UW, the capitol, lots of big employers and almost perfect proximity to MSP, Chicago & Milwaukee.

All three of these cities, including Burlington, are oddly linked by a sort of unique fact: They are all home to fighter squadrons. Its like the USAF knows something about livability and high QOL.
>>
Canberra of course
>>
>>2766728
>>
>>2766726
>Duluth
ok if you stay out of Superior
>Madison
Stop. Minnesota is close enough
>>
>>2766726
You got any recs for towns around the rockies?
>>
Murmansk
>>
>>2766921
Grand Junction.
>>
>>2766718
I'm pretty sure that's Montpelier
>>
Anons, thoughts on Asheville vs Chattanooga?
>>
>>2767058
it is. OP's a big ol' josher
>>
>>2766718
I always thought Denver was a great choice.
Vegas if you dont mind at least a day of driving to get places. possibly some places in ID/MN/OR ?
>>
Some euro contenders.
Bern
Zürich
Geneva
Innsbruck
Oslo
Bergen
Turin
Milan (gross ew)
>>
>>2767122
fuck off, we are full
>>
>>2767165
eww no, it's like Lowell Jr.
>>
Vancouver, WA seems viable. It’s a suburb of Portland, but not so far flung that commuting becomes a problem (like Beaverton, a suburb in Oregon). That area gives you day hiking access to a million small trails within an hours drive. There are 4 or 5 national parks within 4 hours, including Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, and Olympic NP. There are are huge national forests for smaller crowds (or no crowds at all). East of the Cascades is a rain shadow, so you have mountains, forests, literal rain forests, coasts, and deserts all within about 4 hours.
>>
Small town VT is kino. Niggers and homeless fent addicts have ruined Burlington.
>>
File: IMG_3981.jpg (3.29 MB, 4032x3024)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
Concord, MA
>>
>>2770198
Its funny how Ben and Jerry's is so fucking woke they made sure to import hordes of somalians that they can hire to make ice cream at 7 dollars an hour
>>
Chattanooga Tn
>>
>>2770480
I have been waiting for someone to say this one.
It can't be as bad as Knoxville or Memphis!
>>
>>2766718
why so many churches
>>
>>2770505
The jews inevsted heavily in their slaves.
>>
>>2767063
asheville is smelly rich hippies and tons of other fucking losers and shitty head shops
Chattanooga is a lot bigger, has nicer nice parts, worse bad parts, has a functioning economy
>>
>>2766718
LA, San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Denver, SLC, Boise, Vegas

Oh, you mean an /out/ city where you can get paid good money AND have your dollar stretch further? Then Pittsburgh.
>>
>>2770844
>Denver
I hate to break it to you but Denver is just mexicans and homeless blacks now. All of the actual good cities in Colorado should just send all of the Californians and Texans there.
>>
>>2770480
>>2770485
It is. TN is shit. If you want similar scenery NC blows TN out of the water in every metric.
>>
>>2770389
It’s literally owned by Unilever. The same people who promote body positivity through Dove soaps owns the ice cream and junk food. It’s all just corporate bullshit in different camouflage
>>
>>2772051
>just mexicans and homeless blacks now
>65% white
>>
>>2770844
>SLC
>Boise
Fuck off they’re already full
>>
>>2772226
So what is the best /out/ city that's not full, where you can still have a normal city job? Bonus points if Californians are welcome.
>>
>>2772233
Unironically, Redding California.
>>
>>2772298
>some miserably hot shithole knockoff of Sacramento
I guess it's /out/ because it's two hours from Lassen and two hours from Shasta though.
>>
>>2766718
Vermont has too many libcucks
>>
>>2772303
It's also not full, you can have a normal city job, and it's welcoming to Californians. What makes you think it's a shithole our a Sacramento knockoff?
>>
>>2772350
not him, but
>fuck hot in summer
>seriously limited muh food compared to sacramento
>economy is resource extraction plus low quality hospital system
i will say, though, cal's books is a hidden gem. but overall even in the north state i'd rather be in chico, or just across the stateline in medford/ashland.
>>
>>2766726
>Madison WI
Why would you want to live in a college town?
>>
The /out/ is the opposite of the city, you are thinking of the country. Places with names that are not famous, places like the woods I live in rural Appalachia.
>>
>>2773243
>places like rural Appalachia that are always twenty to forty minutes from a major city, and have an average population density of 127 per square mile
Goof
>>
>>2766718
Charlottesville, Virginia
>>
I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations, I live in a Philly suburb now and hate it. Planning a move in 3 to 5 years. Looking for a nice house on some land 30 to 45mins out of some sort of town/city. Was thinking someplace out west. Want to dirt bike and shoot whenever I want.
>>
anywhere in the world if you're a wfh programmer
>>
The Ocoee River was modified to hold the 1994 Summer Olympics whitewater sports events. The Benton McKay Trail which connects to the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail is also at Ocoee Tn.
Parksville Lake and Lake Ocoee are two large beautiful mountain lakes formed behind the dam on the Ocoee River.
Downtown Chattanooga TN is an easy 1 hour drive from this outdoor recreation area.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.