[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do you like to paddle, anon? Me and my friend love to use our kyak and explore. (pic related is a recent place Ive been)
>>
we also like to go on shore
>>
File: 20231028_112444.jpg (3.19 MB, 4000x1848)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
As a matter of fact I do, more of a canoe man myself, prefer freshwater, our salt is even more gloomy then the fucking land
>>
File: PXL_20240807_220730638.jpg (2.79 MB, 2268x4032)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
Good for you bro, keep on padding
>>
File: PXL_20240810_142421229.jpg (2.03 MB, 2268x4032)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
Heck I even do urban paddling
>>
>>2767081
nice, is the water clean?
>>
>>2767084
never treat water as clean, always chemically treat, the UV, micron filter, only consume via enema, after a thorough disinfectant douche.
so your mouth bacteria doesn't contaminate
>>
>>2767080
Very nice. Based and paddle pilled
>>
I'm strongly considering buying a touring kayak. I'm in the european plains so water is the only interesting out around. Should I do it bros?
Should I get a rigid (no place to store it so have to pay 180eur a year for storage)
Or a dropstitch inflatable one?
>>
>>2767087
>only consume via enema
I just dip my ass in and suck up a couple of ass-fulls. Gotta be careful around trout though.
>>
>>2767147
well, that woman and husband who, was on a boat, where her husband fucked her with a live trout is facing prison time on multiple counts of possesion of bestiality, producing bestiality etc etc
so that makes sense
>>
>>2767084
That day it wasn't, we just had massive rain and the sewer backflushed into the canal, saw posted warnings 6miles in , I did not catch any bugs it just smelled bad
>>
>>2767118
I have a single recreational rigid and a decathlon tandem drop stitch inflatable, the strenfit x500 , if they sell the single get it , great boat, sadly can't find the single in Canada, still rigid are always nicer
>>
File: PXL_20240824_165454163.jpg (1.67 MB, 2268x4032)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
Today was awesome
>>
anyone with packraft experience?
>>
>>2767657
I don't but there a couple of out bros that do , they probably will chime in,
>>
File: 20231022_122827.jpg (3.07 MB, 4032x2268)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>
*bobs around like a retard*
>>
thats why we call him bobby
>>
File: 1718058587508.jpg (1.96 MB, 2909x2776)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
picked this up for 40$. never canoed before. don't even know if it floats. bought a paddle today and gonna test it out tommorow. I think it's from the 1960s? anyways. wish me luck
>>
>>2767751
Please consider covering that culturally insensitive logo.
>>
>>2767753
no, I don't think I will
>>
>>2767751
i recommend a float vest, just look at a few youtube videos first
>>
>>2767751
It will float, that is a great deal you got there if there are any holes/leaks you can weld them shut, if you do not weld TuckTape will do. Congrats on that water tank bro
>>
>>2767811
thank you very much, I will be taking off in an hour to see any leaks. I appreciate you
>>2767781
thank you, I am borrowing one from a friend for now. it is the law here to have one with you.
>>
File: IMG_5067.jpg (790 KB, 1500x1125)
790 KB
790 KB JPG
>>2767066
I paddle my ass off during the summer months while most of this board beats off to hentai
>>
>>2767751
With that transom bracket it is even ready for a 15hp outboard, to help you move that moose you just harvested ( but then you would not be paddling
>>
>>2768124
after i went paddling today and found out that this old beast floats, I bought a 40 lb thrust minn kota trolling motor. maybe it's blasphemy but oh well. I was fighting white caps today in the wind. thats typical where I live
>>
Hello, /out/!
I just rented a canoe yesterday for my 49th birthday. My wife has been talking any getting one and it was pretty good. Usually we go "hiking" (read: fat middle aged Americans walking on asphalt trail) but this was way better. I got the feeling of a hard workout after over an hour of paddling, but my back and feet didn't hurt.
Also, they called it a 2 hour trip, but even going back upstream twice to see what happened to the rest of the people from the bus, we were done in 70 minutes. Pretty sad when fat out of shape middle aged people who haven't paddled in 30 years are that much over the expected time.
I bought roof racks for my car today and am looking into a 17' Grumman that's nearly as old as me off Craigslist.
Idk why, but I have no interest in kayaks.
Sorry I don't have any pics. My phone was in a waterproof box.
What do y'all do with your phone and key fob? (I had to get rid of my 20y year old car. I hate not having a simple stamped metal key.)
Also, I'm not a newfag even though I'm typing like one. I don't hang out on here much tho.
>>
>>2768606
Honestly my phone isn't that expensive, so I've been gambling just having it in my lap on flat water. I've been recommended a plano dry box by others as an inexpensive way to store phone and wallet etc., but honestly I just don't even bring that stuff when rolling seems likely. I still have an older truck, so my key goes on a biner in the clamshell of my pfd.
>>
>>2768623
Ziplock bag
>>
>>2768623
I put everything I don't want to touch water in the Kayak dry bag.
If you want to have your phone out to use, there is this option + a water proof phone case.
https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Fishing-Co-Protector-Tether/dp/B07VVNYDHX?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ALYR5Y1TPOW2F
>>
>>2768606
Use a good waterproof case and/or drybag, tethering method, and have a backup plan should you lose these items. If possible, leave both behind. I hide my phone and key in my unlocked vehicle but understand this may not be an option.
Don't cheap out on this. I work at a river trip outfitter during the weekends and every Sunday I have a few cars sitting in the lot that the owners lost the keys to and either have a pricey tow or locksmith/reprogramming bill coming Monday. Even in the super slow pond like sections I regularly fish keys and phones out of the river along our route. Currently after 15 years I have over 200 car keys and dozens of phones that were never claimed.
>>
>>2768606
Dry bag and floaty phone bag with lanyard, like the other bro said a glad or ziplock bag works fine also, good for you getting hooked on paddling
>>
>>2767066
>>2767067
Looks very comfy
Paddle on, paddlebro
>>
>>2767080
Looks like a good spot to catch some bass or pike
>>
Middle aged anon here again.
We're looking at faceberg marketplace for our canoe. I'm thinking we want a used Grumman 17'. Since they are like $2200 new and I'm seeing them used for like $450, I can't see a point to buying new. We're noobs so I figure pre-dented aluminum is the way to go. Not much else to it, just want to get some easy exercise and fresh air.
There's one that's shinier for $800 (pic related). It's an "eagle" model and the seats look lower, maybe that would be more stable?
>>
Otherwise I'm looking at something like this for $350.
>>
File: feeshing.jpg (3.25 MB, 4032x2268)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
>>2768967
shinier doesn't matter, it just means that someone kept it polished, which is extremely hard work. the oxidization protects it better anyways supposedly. I read that the eagle was designed to stack or something, the other one(double ender) is the more traditional shape. people prefer different ones, probably based on nostalgia more than anything. they feel a bit tippy at first but you get used to it. it's more a problem if your passenger is moving around like a crackhead. you really can't beat the for the price though. new ones cost a ton because aluminum products aren't cheap anymore nor is labor or niche goods. luckily there are still thousands for sale everywhere, it's just a matter of finding one that isn't too beat up. I have a 17ft that is beat to shit but doesn't leak a drop of water.
>>
>>2768970
Either seem like solid choices, if you pick the cheapest buying nice pfd, dry bags and paddles will set you up for the same amount as if you just got the costlier boat, it is all up to your budget and preferences, know that pfd can be pricey depending on the make, same goes with paddles
>>
>>2768979
>Pfd
I got some old town vests on clearance for $20 each for the rental because I didn't want the smelly rental vests to ruin my wife's time. Same with the pads, we just brought foam gardening pads. You can see the plano dry box I got for my phone and fob.
Yes, I coordinated my outfit around the vest.
It's only near shore rated but we're only interested in the small bodies of water around here. And we're still fat so we don't need too much help to float.
If we ever end up going out on a big lake or more intense river maybe I'll buy better vests (or if we actually lose weight and don't float so good.)
>Paddles
I'm not sure, is possible the one we but might come with them. I'm not too worried about it. The point is exercise and time away from The rat race, not efficiency. The rental paddles seemed fine.
Thank you for the insight. Anything that gets my wife motivated to exercise is extremely valuable, and I want to make sure we can get the best use of of the remainder of the season. She likes walking in the park too, but after a 5 or 6 day work week my feet hurt.
>>
>>2768978
There's plenty that aren't too beat up. I'll get something good. Thanks again!
>>
>>2769001
That PFD is fine, plenty of room around the shoulder area, I know you don't kayak but that model would not interfere with the seat or cockpit so all good. Wear sun hat, not much shade on lakes if sunny. I like padding from 3 to 6h so I use gloves but that's just me, bring plenty of water and some kinda salty snack to stay hydrated, good paddling bro
>>
>>2769001
You are better off losing weight. Being fat for "floatation" is a fucking meme and dumb cope. Being able to re-enter your kayak if you flip/fall out is your end goal, not just floating around helplessly. Losing weight will actually help with that.
>>
>>2769051
I'm stating fact, not policy. Of course we are trying to lose weight. I don't want to get into all of that, but trust me, we're doing what we can, but everything is harder when you're older.
>>
>>2769049
Thanks! I'll post back what we buy of the thread is still up. The board doesn't move fast, so I imagine it will be.
>>
hi yes I enjoy paddling. just replaced the bungee and deck rigging on my sea kayak, now she's got 10 more years of life in her
>>
I contacted the lady selling this one.>>2768967
It's allegedly an older design lightweight model (64#)
They're saying $750. It's wider and has a lower seat. I can find the normal ones everywhere. I'm going to meet with her and probably buy it after work tomorrow.
I've been leaning that way. If I change my mind it would be easy to find the other style.
>>
>>2769246
fyi I'm pretty sure the hull thickness on those eagles is thinner. yes that means less weight, but easier to dent. might matter to you might not depending on if you're paddling near rocks and stumps. even the normal models come in varying hull thicknesses. you can search how to decode the hull identification number tag to see what exactly one is and when it was made. most of the grumman canoes will be at least 80s and older though. some models have more strengthening ribs and such which can be used to easily identify hull thickness. even the heaviest ones are only about 80-85 lbs though I'm pretty sure. they're only really a little harder to handle than a kayak due to the length more than the weight which gives the impression that they are heavier
>>
>>2769246
$750 is pretty steep unless it's damn-near mint. average price for a grumman in great shape tends to be more about $500. there were just so many of them made. granted, 70% of them are probably beat up and go for about $200-300.
>>
File: Notes_240828_211914_133.jpg (989 KB, 1440x2560)
989 KB
989 KB JPG
are multi-day kayak trips safe to do solo? i don't see the danger but people seem to recommend against it so im not sure
>>
>>2767078
Based WagonCHAD
>>
>>2769281
Where is this?
>>
File: PXL_20240828_023731172.jpg (1.42 MB, 2560x1920)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
just bought two eddylines for me and my wife
>>
File: 20240828_154314.jpg (3.36 MB, 2880x2880)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
>>2769264
>>2769265
Now I'm suspicious. It doesn't say "eagle" on the tag. I can't find any way to reference the number. The image looks like an online photo of an older eagle, but there's no way to know if this is what it says it is.
My wife was the one researching this (I was at work) and I'll have to ask her where she found the information. Allegedly this one's wider, lighter, and more stable, and if that's the case is worth it for me to have it by this weekend, even if it's a bit high. It's the only one in the area of this design.
However it could just be a modern double ender, and if that's the case, the only difference is the seat configuration and the fact that's it seems to be dent free.

Go ahead and tell me what you think. It's not too late for me to get the $350 standard looking one.
>>
>>2769291
very nice
>>
>>2769287
lake saint-croix
>>
>>2769296
it's an eagle, I can tell by the looks and I'm pretty sure the E after 1740C is for Eagle. looks in great shape, I've never paddled one though, only double enders. if it looks as good in person get it. around here, eagles are rarer and often completely junked, but double enders are common everywhere. you could always snag one for cheap later if you wanted.
>>
>>2769306
>If it looks as good I'm person get it
That's what I was thinking. Thank you for dispelling my doubts. I can relax now.
>>
>>2769291
Great move bro they are good boats
>>
>>2769281 will there be cell coverage? Do you have a satellite pager like the in-reach ? These are the risk mitigation if solo paddling same as trecking
>>
anybody fish here? what rod holder are you using? I don't wanna pay 40$ for one. gotta find a way to hold PVC pipes with a c clamp or something.....
>>
>>2769392
buy the knockoff ones from amazon
>>
>>2769281
it's safe if you know for sure you can self rescue
>>
File: 20240829_190737.jpg (1.24 MB, 2966x1598)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
Bought the eagle. Just got home. Absolutely exhausted. Wasn't confident to drive in the freeway so it took forever to get home. Going to throw it on some sawhorses in the garage after the wife finishes taking the dogs out.
I probably paid too much for the canoe and the name brand straps and tie downs, but it's here in time for the weekend.
The paddles it came with seem shitty. I might try to buy some better ones tomorrow, but I'm too tired to think about it now. Just got to get it off the car and put away without damaging anything, which I would have total confidence in if I wasn't awake after driving and working non-stop for 18 hours.
>>
>>2769737
I am happy for you bro, I also have a roof strapping issue and it is the guitar string wobble, ratchet strap singing at speed, any input welcome (highway speed)
>>
>>2769737
Fuck yes man !
>>
>>2769737
Dude you must have a front recovery hook check your owner manual
>>
>>2769737
they're worth it. aluminum lasts forever and you don't have to worry about leaving it out in the sun like you do with plastic kayaks. with that said, don't leave it under trees. that's where most of my dents came from. some hacks are
> put pool noodle around the thwarts, acts as padding and some extra floatation
> some kind of closed cell padded mats or seadek/marine eva adhesive mats under where your feet will go for sound deadening and protection from the heat in the summer.
> get a nice kayak cart that will work with the big canoe, allows you to get to more spots without having to carry it. I have this one, pricey but it's a beast and you can go over roots and stuff that a normal kayak cart wouldn't be able to https://suspenz.com/collections/transportation-carts-kayak-fishing-canoe/products/all-terrain-super-duty-airless-cart
>>
>>2769751
I didn't have any wobble, but I didn't go over 50. I'll worry about it later.
>>2769753
:)
>>2769754
It's of center. There's a tie down on one side and tow point on the other I think. Does it matter if it's off center? I think it's designed for 2 kayaks. I didn't have time to look, I had to sleep and now I'm at work.
>>2769807
For now I'll just be happy to put it in the water and get used to it tomorrow. I screenshoted your post and I'll look at it later when I've had time and sleep. I got to buy paddles too. It came with some crappy wood ones. They'll do for Saturday, but I liked the aluminum renal ones better for sure.

Thanks!
>>
File: IMG_0045.jpg (2.7 MB, 4032x3024)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
I love paddling, anons. Going to take a look at a second canoe today and im really excited.
>>
File: 20240830_174810.jpg (486 KB, 1262x1262)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
Nobody has canoe oars in stock
I'm going to have to use the shitty split old bottom tier wood oars they gave away with it.
Should I try glueing them?
I almost paid $55 for a rowboat oar because there isn't shit in stock anywhere.
>>
>>2769977
I know it might be sacrilege but I use a kayak paddle. much easier on the wrists for long days on the water. you kind of have to use a canoe paddle if you are sitting on your knees towards the center of the canoe, but I don't canoe like that.
>>
>>2769977
Amazon sells the traditional wood beaver tail paddle and also some new funky aluminum and composite, yeah you can glue them, you could even fiberglass it, my emergency spare paddle is a telescopic alu and plastic one
>>
>>2769977
Oars are for rowing, paddle is what you are looking for
>>
File: 20240831_172141.jpg (1.84 MB, 2424x2370)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
We made it to the park. Got an extra wood paddle from the store otw there as well as some red floating cushions. Was quite challenging. Ended up on one of the BIG lakes. Very hard to keep stable and my leg almost went numb. We got to work out better technique. We went in at the regular boat launch, but found a better spot here so now I got to go get the car.
We'll try again tomorrow maybe.
>>
>>2770337
you will get used to it. canoes feel tippy at first, especially with two people moving different ways. they won't go over as easy as they might feel though. the hardest part is getting in and out if you don't do it the right way. never try to do it while the nose or rear is on the bank, it will rock on the keel. pull up sideways/parallel to the bank and have it still in the water a bit. water shoes needed. try out a kayak paddle sometime. you don't really feel like you're leaning as much to one side when paddling. I'm thinking that canoe might not be very old, I noticed the sticker on the side isn't the brith blue like most of them have. that might be a newer production considering how clean it looks, but who knows. looks nice though.
>>
>>2770437
bright blue*
>>
>>2770437
>Not very old
It was registered in 98. Current state law no longer requires it to be registered as configured. It may not be from the 80's.
>Won't go over as easy
I think that's correct. It felt like we were going to flip on some waves a couple times. Starting from the boat launch was not the easiest as it goes directly into a great lake and not the calm artificial pond. We were afraid of damaging the canoe on the rocks that make up the man made shoreline on the inside. We walk there all the time and see people in kayaks and paddle boats along there, but aren't sure where they are launching from.
I think today we'll go back to the county park we rented the canoe at last Sunday. For 10 bucks they'll drive us to the "4 hour" journey point. Or we can just go to the launch by them and paddle upstream ourselves.
I'd really like to just put it in some relatively safe water and capsize on purpose to get a feel for it's limitations and to practice getting back in. I don't think she wants to do that yet tho.
>>
>>2770452
you can make it feel a bit more stable, but it comes at the cost of weight by using ballast to lower the center of gravity. the best way imo is to get something that you can fill with water. that way you can dump it out before loading the canoe back up to leave. you just want whatever it is to be held in place and completely full so it cannot slosh which would have undesirable effects. any heavy gear down low in the canoe will help to counteract the passengers high center of gravity. not really needed on calm water, but it definitely helps with moving water and unsafe places. either way I felt really unstable in my canoe at first but now I can stand up in it. I think the majority of it has to do with passengers moving, which just feels sketchy because it's unexpected. you won't tip from it unless you overreact and do something crazy, and unless the passenger does the same it's just a weird feeling you gotta get used to. as for the boat launch thing... yeah, the whole benefit of a canoe or kayak is that you can avoid those awful boat launches. check out this old youtube channel. this person does a lot of stuff others don't in a grumman like flipping it intentionally and swamping it.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBekav2ott4
>>
>>2770337
If you kneel on the canoe floor and just use the bench as a back rest it will do wonders for stability but at our age it can very uncomfortable this might not work for you ( whole foreleg resting against floor sitting on your heels)
>>
File: 1699995523447689.jpg (61 KB, 620x800)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2767893
Be honest tho you come home after paddling and beat off to /h/
>>
File: 20240901_160633.jpg (1.62 MB, 2610x1914)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
Went back to the county park we rented from last Sunday. The current was stronger. We went upstream for 45 minutes, encountered two of the kids working for the rental company recovering an abandoned crashed canoe. The current was really strong at that bend and we said "fuck that" and headed back. 45 minutes up, 15 minutes back. We are still sore from the great lake waves yesterday so we didn't last very long.
>>2770528
With my bow legs I'd be more comfortable sitting cross legged on the floor, but it would make paddling awkward. I have a kneeling pad I brought this time, but didn't use it.
>>2770456
I mentioned the ballast thing, but there wasn't time to find something stable. Maybe next week. I got to order paddles too, these wood ones suck and the new one was already splitting yesterday.
>passengers moving
Without the lake waves I had time to figure out what's going on. I have to shadow her moments and keep a rhythm. It's exhausting because if I quit for even a second we either tip or drift off course. My technique sucks and hers is even worse, but it doesn't matter. She seems really happy to be out on the water.
>>2770550
Not that anon. I wasn't going to say this but since you brought up lewd things, I'll mention the sex was better and there was more of it after the lake trip last night, for what it's worth.
>>
>>2767753
Dude tf are you on that's actually a really accurate depiction of the facepaint and hairstyle, and it's not demeaning or anything it actually is quite empowering lol
>>
>>2770692
This was the only way you could have been even faggier than that guy
>>
File: 20240902_154635.jpg (1.4 MB, 2052x2628)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
Went exploring other launches. Wife spotted some paddle boats by a church in between 2 sites. Found a great spot, went up the river until it got shallow, went back down until we hit the great lake. Calm and open, not crowded.
>>
Today was great plenty beaver lodges, ibis, blue and grey Heron, varied ducks, Canada geese and some urubu
>>
3 day weekend over. Eaglet (I named it) back in the garage on sawhorses.
I got to order better paddles online tomorrow.
Suggestions welcome!
Thank you /out/! You made my holiday not suck!
>>
>>2767066
>>2767067
East Asia?
>>
>>2770978
I use carbon fiber they are light and durable, if budget is important go for alu and polypropylene
>>
File: 1000015296.jpg (2.17 MB, 4096x2794)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
had to make some repairs. was bailing out water every 5 mins. should be better now. Found out it's a 1973 btw
>>2767751
>>
File: 1718591099344.jpg (2.21 MB, 3468x3401)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>2771460
I also added a trolling motor. was going 7km/h even in whitecaps. crazy wind
>>
>>2771464
Good for you bro, so cocking was enough or is meant to be temporary?
>>
>>2771343
I'm willing to spend money, but I don't know what I want yet. I'm going to go buy a couple of $20 aluminum ones for this weekend. I'll probably buy something nicer for next season after I have a better idea of what I need.
Also, I'll watch ebay and FB marketplace over the winter for a good deal.
I'm also considering carving one over the winter. The trick will be finding a piece of wood big enough. (It'll probably suck if I even finish it, lol.)
>>
>>2771962
Just like Homer with his chilli spoon ( some say he carved it from a better spoon)
>>
File: 20230824_000636.jpg (1.58 MB, 2926x3094)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>2771973
>Homer's chili spoon
I had to look that up. I had forgotten that bit. I remember the episode. I haven't watched that show in decades. I got bored of it around the poochy episode.
That was a good episode, though.
>>
File: 20201205_114655.jpg (3.64 MB, 4128x3096)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>
File: oxnx2ln89n8b1.jpg (9 KB, 224x224)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2767066
>do you like to paddle?
You know it!
>>
>>2768606
>What do y'all do with your phone and key fob?
It's all rivers here and no reception.
Phone stays in the car, key goes in the generally accepted place in case there's an emergency and someone needs your car.
>>
>>2771670
I have yet to test it out again. have to attend a wedding today but might have a chance Sunday to see if it worked. the marine epoxy is meant to be a permanent fix, just not sure if there are more leaks than what meets the eye.
>>
File: 20240719_113748.jpg (1.98 MB, 4000x1800)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
I paddle around Long Island, not so much anymore since a bad shoulder and neck injury makes it harder to go more than 4-6 hours total at the moment but it's good therapy for my arm so I keep doing it. This is the bayville drawbridge across from oyster bay. I like going to this area since beekman beach had free parking and it's only a short walk down the beach to launch from the lot.
>>
>>2770872
i have those same thule ropes, i love how easy they are to setup
>>
>>2772474
That seems like a sweet spot to paddle
>>
>>2769281
read this book and then reassess your appetite for risk. basically at a bare minimum you want to practice the hell out of self rescue, dress for immersion, but also know that some freak accident like dislocating your shoulder during a wet exit could completely botch your self rescue plans. it's always way safer to paddler with a partner for a multitude of reasons but especially because hypothermia onset can scramble your brains. if you're going solo I'd highly recommend keeping a VHF radio and keeping within range of VHF repeaters and marine vehicles that could assist you if needed
>>
>>2772627
Dressing for immersion, where I am it means drysuit and these are costly, I am considering the chinese alternative to brand-name like level6 or mustang survival, anyone ever bought a chinese knock-off?
>>
>>2772627
>read this paranoia enducer and then ruminate on your emotions
Terrible advice you need to reassess your life.
>>
Middle aged noon here again. It's somewhat colder this weekend. Was busy yesterday, I got Monday off and it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow. I want to definitely try getting back on late Erie tomorrow (just a little bit from the beach to the lagoon at the park) but I'm not sure what to do today. Just go back to the creek? I found a spot at a different river that I've never been to.
>>2772637
>Dry suit
This is what concerns me. Getting the wife out of the house and off the computer is worth it to me, but even an expensive suit won't make up for middle age and inexperience. (Not that drowning would be the worst way to go, but I think we got at least 10 good years left and I hope much more, I'm in no hurry.)
The temperature outside is more that 10f colder than what we've been doing. Part of me is like "stop being a pussy" but I'm also thinking "is cold out, what are you crazy?"
I got to figure it out and get moving soon.
>>
*noob
It occurs to me as I'm planning my outfit, I was wearing shorts and sandals so I could wade knee deep while launching the canoe. What does one do when it's colder? I'm sure I can get away with that this weekend and just wear a jacket or something, but what do kayakers and shit do when it's chilly?
Is it a hard transition from shorts to dry/wet suit?
>>
>>2772807
water temp matters more. as long as you are wearing a pfd that keeps you afloat(with whatever layered clothing you have on) you won't drown. I've been out when the weather has been drastically back and forth, yet the water temp takes much longer to change. it can be chilly outside and the water still be noticeably warm depending on where you are and the time of year.
>>
>>2772809
I live in the southeast so it doesn't really get super cold, but I even kayak when it's borderline freezing temps. a wetsuit is for if you plan on going in the water and staying in the water for other types of hobbies like surfing and such. ideally for our hobby, you just want to make sure you are close enough to shore when paddling so you can quickly get out of the water. and you want to have a dry pair of clothes with you in a watertight container so you can quickly get the wet clothes off should that happen. you are safer dry and naked than in wet clothes. I don't really advise wearing traditional heavy layered winter clothes though, because even with a pfd that can be a quick way to drown. they make paddling suits/tops/pants which are lightweight but wind and water repellant. they are expensive though. the alternative is to just use normal light raincoats and rainpants/ boarshorts over a light thermal layer. depending on where you live obviously this won't work deep into winter because it will still be too cold, but it works for the winter transition. as for footwear you could get some neoprene "socks" and some crocs, same with neoprene gloves. half of the battle is keeping hands and feet warm. paddling sucks when your hands are killing you from the cold.
>>
>>2772810
Here's the closest USGS sensor info.
Significantly cooler than last weekend, but above 60f still.
Seriously considering buying some gear for next weekend (or later if it takes longer). She's open to paddling until the shit freezes. I'm not averse to spending money on her health.
>>
>>2772817
you can get some awesome paddling gear when the christmas time deals come around for heavy discounts. like 40% off here are some examples to look at.
> https://www.backcountry.com/paddling-clothing
very pricey normally but I bought some stuff last cyber week and it makes things very enjoyable in the shitty months when you're trying to get the last few weekends in before full-blown below freezing temps.
>>
>>2772817
once the water gets really cold it's more about the sun and wind. if it's nice and sunny you feel warmer. if it's windy you feel like shit. 9/10 times the only water you're touching is the drips from the paddle and entry/exit. if you're worried about going in the drink you can just plan by taking lots of extra floatation during that time of year.
>>
>>2772815
>Bigger waterproof container with dry clothes
Yes, I'll do that.
>Close to shore
That's the plan. Hopefully Erie doesn't have it's own plans for us.
>Neoprene socks, gloves
Will have to order
>Crocs
Lol, walked right by the Crocs outlet store yesterday.
They are expensive, I might get amazon versions. I really like their whiten barefoot shoes more than the pricy ones. I wouldn't be surprised if their water shoes are just as good.
I think I'll just do shorts, sandals, and a jacket this weekend.
Thanks!
>>
>>2772819
Noted and saved. I'll keep a tab open and check periodically for deals.
Thanks again!
>>
>>2772822
check out the Vans Trek shoes. basically vans version of crocs, it's what I use. they are always on sale for like $25-30. they don't have half sizes so buy the size down if you wear a half size, that way they don't fall off when they get wet. the only downside is that the tread is deep so it holds lots of mud, but they feel pretty good like a barefoot shoe. in the summer they get hot though.
>>
File: 20240908_094744.jpg (702 KB, 1222x2076)
702 KB
702 KB JPG
I bought a pack of amazon insulating pants for winter. Should I wear these under my shorts or no? It's just until I can order proper gear.

>>2772821
>>2772824
Thank you.
>>
We can get these otw there today. Worth it?
>>
File: PXL_20240908_152005929.jpg (1.36 MB, 2268x4032)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
Went for open St-Laurent river this morning, the wind was around 12mph and the waves ranged from 3 to 4 footer paddle for half an hour got a wave inside the cockpit, a bit too much action for my 10 footer, headed back to the jetty packed the kayak and drove to a river instead, way nicer, just the wind and current no usage wave and swell here
>>
File: PXL_20240908_172642763.jpg (2.04 MB, 2268x4032)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
Glad I chickened out
>>
I didn't buy the socks. I wore the amazon shit and sandals. It was fine
The river we went to at first, there was a guy fishing in the middle and it was calf deep on him.
We went to Lake Erie. Paddled to the lagoon. Very sore. Going to drive in now.
>>
>>2772637
I read a couple reviews of the $160 aliexpress dry suit being a clone of the $800 kokatat model and that it works well, but I'd like a little more confirmation of this too. some reviews of the extremely cheap Chinese stuff say the seams are very poor and the waterproofing is garbage so it would be a matter of finding the right Chinese product that isn't going to kill you. an alternative could be to wear a thick wetsuit and stay reasonably close to shore with emergency blanket packed
>>
>>2773330
some "high-end" namebrand stuff has warranties though. which is worth the extra cost in the long run if they honor it. most stuff you buy will last for the first year, but then it might start falling apart. I make sure whatever I buy has proven longevity, most reviews on any kind of anything are simply short term new roduct reviews that rarely go past the honeymoon phase. reviews like that are worthless for anything other than initial impression and features imo, but for whatever reason that's what floods youtube. even small channels who don't do paid reviews rarely check back years later to report on how stuff has held up. and if they do, who knows how much they even really used it. they might be a casual. when it comes to paddling gear it's probably best to find reviews from hardcore types like whitewater paddlers and such.
>>
File: 20240909_142616.jpg (972 KB, 2990x1152)
972 KB
972 KB JPG
Took a vacation day. Giving Lake Erie another go.
>>
>>2773376
do you see a lot of aluminum canoes up there? here in the south, you almost NEVER see them out on the water. I've been telling people for years that it's the most cost effective way to get out on the water and considering they last indefinitely the cost is even more worth it. aluminum canoes used to be the staple in north america up until like the early 2000s. still extensively used in harsh places like canada and alaska. it's actually kind of cool when I take mine out instead of my kayak because it's a rare sight for people. I wish I would have bought a few of them back when you could find them all day in good shape for like $200. they fetch quite a bit more now when in really good shape, but I'd still probably snag one if I see any more. 9/10 times though they're really rough because people just leave them under the tree in the back yard for decades to be abttered by falling tree limbs. I've always hoped I'd stumble upon a square stern so I could put a 5hp motor on it.
>>
File: 20240909_174138.jpg (2.32 MB, 2144x2638)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>>2773390
There were a ton on FB marketplace. All I see out here is kayaks. It's Monday after labor day so there aren't many people out here, but I took a vacation day. I consider this therapy.
I bought the cheap wheels from Dunham's. 50 bucks. There really for smaller boats, but it gets me from the car to the beech without resting.
It makes sense it's only kayaks. Individuals don't have to coordinate and there's no need for cargo, it's all recreational.
>>
>>2773390
>>2773495
Can't speak for Erie, but you don't see a lot of canoes on lake Ontario because we have a lot of smaller waterways that are more of a pain in the ass to navigate with a canoe.
>>
>>2773501
We're just noobs figuring this out. I'm just going a few hundred yards from the beach to the lagoon. Still, were the only small boat out here.
>>
>>2773343
Just found RiverKing has a one year review of Alibaba drysuit. A damned shame he doesn't specify the brand or make. His opinion if you can't fork for a brand name this will still save you (in a white water setting, not to be submerged for hours like ocean or big lakes) but you get leaks after 12 outings
>>
>>2773390
I will probably go with level 6 emperor, they have a lifetime warranty and it is half the price of a kotakat, that suit also has great reviews
>>
>>2773514
I don't personally know anything about any of that costly gear but what I will say is that make sure whatever you buy at a price like that has a legitimate warranty. as in they actually honor it. saying lifetime warranty won't mean much if they don't actually honor it.
>>
>>2770709
That was clearly the point. Both were trolling each other.
>>
>>2773343
warranties don't cover normal wear and tear. from kokatats own site:
>Products found to be defective will be repaired or replaced at Kokatat’s option. Repairs due to normal wear and tear, accident, abuse, etc., will be made for a reasonable charge. Latex gaskets are not covered by the Kokatat warranty. There is a 2 year limited warranty on all Hydrus 2.5 suits. Kokatat specifically disavows any other representative warranty or liability relative to the condition or use of the product.
I can inspect and use any suit myself to see if it's free from workmanship defects, but if I use the thing for a year neither Kokatat or AliExpress is gonna let me get a refund or free repair. maybe Chinese clones are inferior, but at 1/5 the price maybe they're worth it so long as you're fine with purchasing a new one when it wears out instead of paying the manufacturer to repair the problem areas
>>
>>2773330
>>2773343
>>2773517
>>2773680
I don't know shit about wet or dry suits.
Is this guy full of shit, or should I listen to him? https://youtu.be/IRkwoUVpbFg?si=-J12TczEoOmlQfZH
>>
>>2773742
When the water is colder then 40f or 4c you should have a 5mm full wet suit or a dry suit in case of long exposure/immersion, I would not wear a 2 piece suit for winter paddling that is not how dressing for the worst scenario works
>>
>>2773940
Yeah, I think this guy is dressing for a milder situation than great lakes region weather.

Also, I'd like to point out that when this thread started I hadn't been paddling since I was a teenager and ITT I've bought a canoe and I've been in it 6 of the last 11 days.
I took yesterday off, but we got started so late I realized I could just do the same thing and go after work today since the weather is good. I think this is fixing some of my work related spinal issues.
Also it's pretty absurd that I got to spend 3 hours and drive almost 50 miles round trip to paddle about 2, maybe 4 miles over the course of an hour.
It is worth it though. The wife can hold her end of the boat over her head much more easily and her shoulder issues seem to be bothering her less. I could never get her to just do tricep extensions and shit to fix these issues, but lifting the boat overhead 24 times in 11 days has the same effect.
I really appreciate the support and encouragement I've gotten on here. This was tough to pull off and you guys really helped.
>>
>>2773742
I'm not gonna watch the whole video to see what thickness of wetsuit he's using but it should be 5mm and HOODED for winter wet exits. in winter immersion he will be hypothermic from head exposure alone within half an hour. he says he's a whitewater paddler so they only aim for 5 minutes exposure, but for open water you need to prevent all temperature loss in water sometimes for hours
>>
>>2767066
How do you guys deal with choppy waters and strong currents?
I've gone kayaking twice, the first time I went down a surprisingly strong current and had to beach myself before it took me to a half-sunken tree (would've probably flipped) and then had to haul the kayak for a few meters to go back to calm water and fight lighter currents back to were I started. It was fucking tiring.
The second time, I went on a lake during a choppy day and almost crossed it (made it half-way through) before I realised my kayak was swaying way too much and a little "storm" was beginning to form. Took me like half an hour to get back to shore. I was later told that was really stupid of me and could've gotten fined for being an idiot.
After those two experiences, I may have come to the realisation that if you get into precarious situations there is very little you can do besides ride the waves. So are there any tips you guys have for situations like that besides the obvious "don't do it"?
>>
>>2774096
I do it all the time. The first day I ever took my kayak out, it just so happened to be the worst conditions I've ever seen, even to this day. Massive chop in a lake and hurricane-tier winds, but I said fuck it and put in anyways because I drove all the way there. I might as well have been in the ocean. I was going with the current at first and I could literally feel myself riding whitecaps like a surfboard. Paddling back was like going .5mph though for an hour straight. Felt like I was going almost nowhere. Physical fitness is probably the only thing that got me back, the other person I was with was struggling .Granted, the hull design of my kayak is pretty well suited to being safe in chop. Hull design can be a significant factor in that regard, two different ones can be night and day in different conditions. There isn't really much to say but to get used to it and have the necessary safety precautions. Where I live there is more often than not strong wind so I'm regularly paddling against it for hours and you just get used to it. Also TONS of boat traffic so I'm always getting blown by and having to deal with surfing-tier wakes. It can be fun, but maybe not in a sit inside. Always seems like the current changes against your favor when you're done for the day and have to paddle back. With all that said, if you are able to paddle in the worst it will only make you a better paddler. It's good toe xperience bad weather as long as you have proper safety gear and someone knows where you're at. After that first experience, and many after, I don't bat an eye at chop or wind, I just anticipate a good workout and that's about it. Boat wakes are more dangerous so you just have to keep your head on a swivel and learn how to handle those because assholes don't care, they probably even do it on purpose half of the time. Being along the edge of the shore is what will get you fucked up bad when it comes to boat wakes because it will push and bash you against the shore.
>>
>>2774096
>I could have gotten fined
For what?!?
>>
>>2774096
I always start going against the wind/current so that a couple of hours later when I am possibly tired I do not have to tight them to return. For the rest a spray skirt and being super practiced at rolling is paramount. Having sealed bulkheads or float bags in stern and prow. Also be prepared to lose your boat since re-entering your boat in heavy chop is a magnitude harder then on flat water
>>
>>2774096
Literally just ride thr waves. And trust your Kayak.
>>
>>2774110
not havin the prorper oar flailing loicense
>>
>>2774096
by learning to lean, brace, and roll into waves. also by reading the water and conditions and knowing when to say fuck that
>>
File: 20240911_091641.jpg (3.54 MB, 4000x2252)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB JPG
Went yacking yesterday, got some pics.
>>
File: 20240911_094556.jpg (3.18 MB, 4000x2252)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
>>2774537
>>
File: 20240911_095022.jpg (4.55 MB, 4000x2252)
4.55 MB
4.55 MB JPG
>>2774538
>>
File: 20240911_095315.jpg (1.77 MB, 4000x2252)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
>>2774539
>>
File: 20240911_102013.jpg (2.05 MB, 4000x2252)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>2774541
>>
File: 20240911_105916.jpg (2.91 MB, 4000x2252)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>2774542
Last one. On the way back in I encountered a little school field trip. They were collecting water chesnuts because theyre invasive I guess.
>>
>>2774537
Gorgeous outing, good for you bro
>>
>>2774538
I assume you have a dedicated camera for these types of shots, on account of the fisheye lens, or do you just have a really nice phone?
I've always wanted to take good shots like yours, but apparently I'm too retarded to get anything worthwhile with my phone.
>>
>>2773343
>whitewater paddlers
That's me...
Working on rivers, it's basically Kokatat, Stohlquist or Level6 (they got a bad rep when they started out but it's solid gear now.)
Shame Patagonia quit the dry gear game, it was the absolute shit if you could afford it.
Don't get the booties option if you're going to be doing anything more than walking from your car to the local wave, they wear out in no time.
>>
>>2774818
*always spend the extra for the piss zip though. Especially if you get a 2pc suit.
Accidents are more common than you could imagine. Worse when you have the booties.
One of the boys had a liquid shit in his one day while walking out. Made him ride home in the back of the ute.
>>
File: 20231128_104806.jpg (3.23 MB, 4000x1868)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB JPG
>>2774810
I use my phone, it an s22 ultra. The sun was doing 99% of the work and the phones auto adjustments were probably doing sonething. I just point and click like a retard.

picrel is the same park in winter.
>>
>>2774810
not that anon but you really have to learn to play with the settings in your phone after watching youtube tutorials from professionals. for example on samsung galaxy phones, using pro mode and customizing the settings like you would an actual camera can vastly increase the quality compared to just pointing and shooting in regular mode.
>>
File: PXL_20240914_153519316.jpg (1.64 MB, 2268x4032)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
Drove up north to paddle the Rouge very nice change of scenery a sandy beach at every turn
>>
File: PXL_20240914_155522977.jpg (1.97 MB, 4032x2268)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
Was a blast, paddle 5hrs
>>
File: 20240512_130958.jpg (1.3 MB, 2992x2992)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Middle age anon. I got to power up and bring my old phone so I can take pictures.
Warm today, child tomorrow so we went back to the park. Lake Erie was too choppy to get in, but the lagoon was pretty still so we just put in there. We haven't been doing that because there are rocks there, but I'm not worried about scratching my Grumman anymore, I want to use it and don't care if it's shiny.
We saw an eagle pull a fish out of the lagoon and fly back towards the eyrie.
Here's an old pic of one of the eagles from earlier in the year. Sorry I don't have one from the water. It might be the same one. Same area.
>>
We need a reasonable priced waterproof camera. We saw 2 juvenile bald eagles by the river today, probably the chicks we saw in the nest earlier this year. Phone was in waterproof box. No photos again.
>>
thoughts on cambridge kayaks?
>>
Squeezed out another day at the lagoon. I figured out why my "J"-stroke kept failing. As the trip went on I keep sliding further forward. I learned to keep back in my seat and we can paddle together in a straight line at a good clip.

Strange how the thread just kinda died, but I'll bump it. This board is really slow. Makes sense, I guess.

Still haven't bought a waterproof camera. Shame, because the migratory ducks shit so much on the trees by the lagoon they look like it's winter. Pretty funny.
>>
are inflatable kayaks safe? i don't have money for real one.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-1-2-person-touring-kayak/_/R-p-344889?mc=8797726&c=teal%20blue_sunflower%20orange
>>
>>2777789
paddling threads have never really been popular on this board for some reason. I think it's too "hardcore" lol.
>>2777897
you can't find a used kayak for that price? or a budget rigid kayak? I'm sure you can. I don't know much about inflatables.
>>
>>2777935
>you can't find a used kayak for that price? or a budget rigid kayak? I'm sure you can. I don't know much about inflatables.
no, they all start at 600-700
>>
>>2777978
that's how much most people want for used ones in the us too but you lowball the shit out of them or trade+cash something. you really don't have budget brands in uk?
> https://www.feelfree-kayaks.co.uk/pages/types-of-kayaks
>>
> https://www.canoe-shops.co.uk/products/feelfree-roamer-1-sit-on-top-kayaks?variant=41658952482990
>>
>>2777897
I have two inflatables and a rigid one, yes they are good, I have the strenfit from decathlon Wich is 15psi and similar to a sea kayak, the one you are showing will be super stable, a great gateway kayak . But right now all rigids recreational are going with 40% off, shop a bit more, I am sure you can find a nice pelican for 300$
>>
>>2777897
Forget about pelican , just saw you are in the UK,
>>
inflatables are fucking awful pieces of shit that paddle like a canoe that's dragging a dead body
>>
>>2778154
You are a little opiniated ain't you precious
>>
>>2778293
Post yours
>>
>>2778293
enjoy your inflatable deathtrap that's only suited for water deep enough to stand in
>>
>>2778154
True canoes are a great way to carry that moose you just harvested, well said. Hunters have used them for ages
>>
>>2778542
What's the weight capacity on your canoe? Must be very high to accommodate a dead moose.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.