[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: BV7100black_8.jpg (95 KB, 700x699)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
my old phone (samsung) died after i walked for about 10 minutes in a quarry tunnel where i had water up to my belt with it in my pocket. i'd like to replace it with one of these "rugged" smartphones. i was thinking buying a crosscall since its used by cops over here, but i've been told they're overpriced trash, so i might get a blackview instead. anyone got experience with the bv7100? is it actually waterproof? got any other recs?
>>
>>2768509
>Outdoors
>smartphones

Why don't you bring a Switch into the outdoors while you're at it?
>>
>>2768512
>GPS
>internet to look up information if needed and talk with friends/organize meetups
>music for the boring train/car/plane ride home
i know what you're thinking (i personally avoid using them on trail unless needed), but you gotta admit these things are practical.
>>
>>2768515
The outdoors is super duper special to that poster so in the 2 times a year he gets out he likes to pretend that he's a caveman to get the full outdoors holiday experience. If he hears a drone he cries and shits his pants too because people are not ALOWWED to ruin his caveboy roleplay.
>>
>>2768564
>>2768515
>ITT city dwelling morons and pajeets shill tech that gets dozens of people killed off trail every year
Yes, navigate with that cellphone off trail saars, I look forward to reading your obituaries.
>>
File: CATS22Flip_1200x.jpg (45 KB, 860x860)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>2768509
>Pic rel
It's technically a smartphone
>>
>>2768574
how long does the battery last
>>
File: i-dKrxzJH-L.jpg (150 KB, 452x600)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Having had personal and business rugged smartphones before, they're not worth the price. They're no more rugged than a modern smartphone in a decent case with screen protector, and you pay an inflated price for them. Software updates were also a problem.

Unless there's a feature you need in one of them, i'd stick with a pixel/samsung/iphone.
I miss the replaceable batteries and PTT button on the side, but I don't miss all the other issues my old phone had.
>>
File: 3756567568f6ed_1280.png (162 KB, 1080x1080)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>2768512
>>2768572
stop fantasizing about running away to the woods '4eva!!11', and go outside, a nice walk would be a wonderful new start for you.
>>
>>2768603
got any experience with the cat s26?
>>
>>2768615
>fantasizing about running away to the woods '4eva!!11'
Most retarded leap of logic I've seen all day and that's saying something given the low-quality posts on this board
>>
Get a phone with a 4500mAH, waterproof rating of IP68, and a rugged case, and screen protector
>>
>>2768509
Just put it in a case until you need it. Smart phones are waterproof and with a good case drop proof. It's not like every concrete tradie has some rugged outdoor phone and their phones see much worse conditions. Beyond this
>no service at least near me as soon as I walk under trees
>I wouldn't rely on my phones gps for the above reason
>battery sucks
etc. etc.
>>
File: ziplock-300x300.jpg (8 KB, 300x300)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Here's a DIY mod that makes your phone fully waterproof. Holding it above the water line and not submerging it like a retard also works.
>>
>>2768709
I had one of the cat smart phones a while back. I bought it because at the time it had a bigger than average battery. But now they are a bit redundant imo. My pixel 6a in a decent case is fine. I just keep it in plane mode, extreme battery saver, and the screen dimmed way down. Taking a couple pictures a day and listening to a little music allows me like 3-4 day battery. Then if I'm away from a plug for longer than that I bring a nitecor 10k mha battery which charges my phone almost twice. I've comfortably been over a week from charge and been fine.
If you're using your phone as you main navigation then you'll get less battery life.

Pixel 6a + paper maps is what I've used for well over 3000 miles of back country travel since it came out.
>>
>>2769538
>If I post the same bullshit in every thread no one will notice
Buy an add you fuck faced retard. Ain't no one here believes you know anything about navigation. 3000 miles on roads is not impressive--I can do that without any map at all retard.
>>
>>2768711
just go outside.
>>
File: i-hZFLrkp-L.jpg (98 KB, 800x533)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>2768709
Never had any of those.
Went through a couple Motorola L11's, demo'd Ion and APX Next (both turds imo), Sonim XP8, and a bunch of Zebra/Symbol devices.

I miss the field-replaceable batteres of my L11.
The dedicated PTT is nice when I either had RoIP solutions or paired it to an APX radio (could control the radio from my phone, like a speaker-mic, but more capable). Ion and Next, the phone is the radio.
Programmable hard buttons were also nice to have. I could do a lot without needing to visually or verbally interact with the device.

I got some security updates on my L11's, but even when they were first released, they were already on an outdated Android version. 2-3 years later, there was software that didn't work because the OS was too old. The Ion was just glitchy overall. I had durability concerns about the Next in fire service.

Zebras were for a specific niche application that required a specific processor and hardware configuration. Moved off that to NFC and some other technologies, allowing that crew to use regular/normal phones.

Just isn't worth the price.
>>
>>2768711
They post this constantly--I'm amazed they're not banned for spamming.
It's a brain dead Karen mad at men for ignoring her and this is her cope.
>>
>>2768509
Just get a normal phone, then get a waterproof case. You’ll spend unnecessary amounts of money on a phone when a cheaper phone + case are cheaper.
>>
>>2768509
The general consensus is that ‘rugged’ smartphones are shit and meant for larpers and are basically just shittier phones in every way. Also the general consensus is to just get a cheap chink phone off Amazon and put a good case on it. That when it does break, which it will eventually, you will be more pissed about the case being damaged than the phone.
>>
had a sonim xp8 for work. work as geophysicist in the field. exceptionally tough phone (slammed it between van door one time over and over by mistake and it was fine), battery life got better in extreme cold (and had about 5000maH) , loud speakerphone, bright flashlight. that being said, a gen behind other phones even when i got it new so slow as shit, heavy and bulky, poor camera.

overall it was actually worth it for me to use. But it eventually stopped taking touch feedback when the screen delaminated or something.

My view: if you really need it all the time, then get one. if you need it on weekends then get a normal phone. also don't get a sonim XP8 as they are so out of date now. I'm just talking the concept of one.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.