[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

"Hiking boots" have become a marketing meme.

I had a good solid pair of Vasque boots for almost 12 years that I used on my more challenging excursions, I replied them twice and re glued the sole once. A good pair of boots worth the 320 or so leaf dollars.

I've had other "throw away" day hikers when not using the Vasque boots.
But when I went to go replace my good boots I found that for one, Vasque boots are now shit and got rid of all their good models. So I naturally branched out and found the similar vibe, "Hiking boots" have become expensive, overly flashy designed garbage.

I eventually had to start looking at hunting boots to find what I wanted. Better boots, better quality for a cheaper price.

Anyway, rant over. Fuck modern "outdoor" equipment. It's only gotten worse since I was a teen.
>>
File: Hoka-Zinal-2.jpg (226 KB, 1200x800)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
Here, enjoy your hiking boot.
>>
>>2769012
Disgusting.
>>
>>2769007
>Fuck modern "outdoor" equipment. It's only gotten worse since I was a teen.
How long ago was that? Outdoor equipment, in general, is leagues better than it was even a decade ago. The good stuff is more expensive though compared to cheaper flashy mass marketed stuff. I think footwear in general got the worst of it though.
>>
>>2769028
There's niche things like canoes, tent poles, snowshoes, etc. That have gotten better over the years. But over all outdoor stuff hasn't gotten better its just marketed differently.

I think within the footware world hunting / bushcraft figured it out a long time ago, and the "hiking" genre started off based on taking bushcraft footware and making it lighter, but now you have company's like Danner or whatever who've made hunting and bushcraft boots their whole lives and out compete "hiking footware"
>>
>>2769036
>Danner
I like Danner a lot, but I don't think they're built much better than Keen or Vasque. Danner makes some really nice looking and comfortable stuff though.
>>
>>2769043
>>2769036
the only danner boots ive ever had fell apart in one season
>>
>>2769036
Jackets have gotten better, especially hard shells. Pants as well. Synthetic cloth in general is much better than it was 10 years ago.
>>
>>2769012
Don't these destroy your knees?
>>
File: alico-1-4256191587.jpg (246 KB, 1500x1500)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>2769055
those hokas are trail runners, you can actually run in them. but im not sure how heavier boots would help your knees anyways.
imho there is little difference between midweight boots and trail runners, and heavy boots will slow you down on long treks
>>
>>2769043
Gotta be real careful with which model Danner you get. Some are trash that will fall apart within one year. Stick to the old hunting models and they last year's. I've got a pair of pronghorns I've been hiking in for about 6 years now, and the only issue that has developed is a rather noisy squeak on hard surfaces from the left boot.
>>
>>2769057
>>2769055
What he's probably talking about is that the trailrunners are zero drop, which is a very big difference between them and boots. I don't know about any supposed long term damage but they can hurt someone if they go from regular boots straight to zero drop and do too many miles. Most hiking boots have at least 1cm of drop
>>
>>2769012
are hokas really the best trail runner around? what models do yall like
>>
>>2769060
thanks. i honestly had no idea about high drop vs zero drop. however, this article seems to disagree on your point:
https://thetrek.co/high-drop-zero-drop-choose-shoes-work/
>A shoe with a higher drop will be easier on the lower leg—foot, ankle, Achilles, calf—while directing more stress to the knees and hips.
>People with chronic knee issues could benefit from a lower-drop shoe, which will move some impact forces off the knee to the lower leg.
>>
>>2769072
You misunderstand what he meant about going straight to zero drop. There's an adjustment period where your body has to get used to walking around in shoes with no drop. It's different use of muscles and trying to go long distance while still adjusting can cause issues.
>>
>>2769007
Only extra a boot can give is that you can go through deeper water.
>>
>>2769060
Most of the trail runners are not zero drop. Wish they were because it is much better to use zero drop shoes.
>>
>>2769007
Did the brand get bought by some destructive parasites some time between your old boots and your new boots?
>>
>>2769059
Yea. And be careful to notice danner has "danner dry", yet still have models that implement gore tex. They're supposed to be the same but aren't at all.

I don't get why danner can advertise the dsnner ddry as "waterproof".
>>
>>2769007
>become
>>
File: 1712190564161892.jpg (85 KB, 900x900)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
why did they retire it bros
>>
>>2769129
making garbage brings more profits
>>
>>2769007

My last pair of Keen boots lasted me 7 years. I expect my new Keens will do the same. They seem more well made than my old ones.
>>
I've got an old pair of walking boots that I have used for 10 years. Leather outer, gore text inner I think. I can walk huge distances for days without ever having any pain, totally waterproof, never had any problems.

A few months ago I went to buy some new ones and it's all such crap. They're basically mass produced trainers which do not have any give or adapt to your feet. I paid a lot of money for a higher end one and it was the most uncomfortable boot I've ever worn, gave me terrible blisters and hobbled me. It's so rigid and all the design effort has gone into how it looks, putting grilles on it and stuff.

I can't believe that anyone actually wears such shoes to do real hiking. It must be for these new Instagrammers and consumer-addicted people who spend all their time buying stuff instead of doing things.
>>
>>2769083

Topo do a great zero drop/wide trail runner. And a range of minimal drop shoes too with a stack height of just 3mm.
>>
>>2769153
I've only ever owned two pairs of keens and both didn't make through a summer, hell the sole peeled off of the first pair not even a full 2 month after I got them. Just started peeling right off the toe cap.
>>
File: img_C-86874-BLK1_01.jpg (113 KB, 900x895)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>2769202

Weird. Perhaps there's some manufacturing inconsistency? I've had 4 different pairs of Keens over the years and they've all been reliable as hell.

Pic rel is the last model I got. And I got them on sale for a good price too.
>>
>>2769007
buy an ad
>>
>>2769259
For who?
>>
>>2769251
Most of the mid-tier brands use shitty glue and workers earning barely-above-sweatshop waves not giving a shit about how they apply it. It's just a roll of the dice to whether your soles fall off or not.
>>
>>2769251
I used to love keen, almost all their models fit my feet perfectly. They also used to make a closed toe sandal with minimal strapping that was top tier for river hiking. But about 10 years ago they discontinued that sandal, and the boots just started falling apart on me within a season. Like the other anon said, they use shitty glue and the sole will just start coming off. I've glued a few back together, but then usually the upper section starts to fail. They never stay water proof, just wet grass will soak my foot.

I really miss old Keen.
>>
>>2769429
keens are too heavy and bulky to be good campshoes IMO
>>
>>2769191
Altra also have some good one, only problem is the price range.
>>
File: 20240711_104335.jpg (4.82 MB, 3024x3024)
4.82 MB
4.82 MB JPG
>>2769462

Yeah I have 4 pairs of Altras. They were bought out and went to crap too compared to their shoes pre-buyout. Pic related is a comparison between 2 pairs of old and new altra superiors I own. I also have some Lone Peak 6 & 7s. The 6s are a much better shoe in all regards.
>>
>>2769251
I have two pairs of their workboots and I really like those. I bought a pair of Keens hiking boots though and returned them after a week.
Got a pair of Lowas instead and I like them so far.
>>
ITT: we wait for the Salomon shill
>>
>>2769517
Going to do the opposite. Have a pair of nice Solomon winter boots, one year in and they leak like crazy leaving you with wet feet and a heavy boot that takes aeons to dry out. I understand this is an issue for most gortex lined boots, but still, they just suck. Sticking to conditioned leather and thick socks.
>>
>>2769517
Got a pair of ther shoes for travel and light trail use. The soles wore out within like three years. And I didn't use them that much. The tounges also would ride to the side constantly.
>>
File: CAT-2nd-Shift-Wheat-Steel.jpg (305 KB, 1280x1280)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>2769007
Caterpillar 2nd Shift

Daily
Everywhere
All the time
>>
>>2769557
Crap for hiking
>>
>>2769560
It's too late, Anon
I hiked from one end of Catalina Island to the other

Comfy and still wearing them two years later
>>
File: 1714486158293987m.jpg (211 KB, 1014x1024)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>2769563
>I hiked from one end of Catalina Island to the other
>>
Are Merrell any good for walking and very light trail action?
>>
>>2769517
Salomon shoes are phenomenal and grippy for 1-2 months and then proceed to fall apart. Their trail runners are the best approach shoes Ive ever used
>>
File: IMG_9902.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
Extremely comfortable, legit for hiking, half of the fancy brands. These things are underrated.
>>
>>2770671
The sole is garbage.
>>
>>2770671
>>2770774
I got these in a 'premium' variant with full grain leather uppers and vibram soles.
Its a shame the standard line cheaps out on half the parts for no reason considering the price difference wasnt that much more expensive.
>>
>>2770671
they're ugly
>>
>>2769007
I get my hiking shoes custom made for my feet by a craftsmen. It’s like 300 bucks but worth it.
>>
>>2769057
Rolling your ankle with a heavy backpack can slow you down much more, not everyone hikes on trails.
>>
>>2769080
I use zero drop shoes for day to day shit, but hiking mountains and shit, I want some drop, much less stress on achilles, which is the first thing I feel in steep stuff.
People are different, for some zero drop might be overall better in moutains, while for others they make steep hills impossible.
>>
>>2771067
So on topic of rolling ankles, it seems the more rubber height under my foot, the higher chance of rolling and bigger need for ankle support. Makes me think something with no sole is going to he the best option, like a barefoot boot or something.
>>
>>2771079
In a way, yes, but might cause other issues like stress fractures if terrain is rocky and you carry heavy.
Anyone selling a fits-all solution is either trying to scam you, or they are actual retards that bought into a scam.
This isn't me shitting on barefoot shoes or anything, for some people and some use cases, they can be amazing, but not for all people in all situations.
>>
>>2769647
>>2769535
aren't they not meant for concrete? i'm in need of a travel shoe as well that i could walk in the city with but also go on short hikes. there seems to be nothing out there that is specifically made for both.
>>
>>2769517
>loved by leftist, hippie, vegan, ultralight thruhikers and trail runners
>loved by hardened, tier 1 US military baby killing machines
yup, it's a good boot brand
>>
File: IMG_20240815_190523578.jpg (3.16 MB, 3264x2448)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
My heavy boots are Danner Recons. I walk in them for hours in nonstop heavy rain without leaks. As I do a lot of bicycle camping and exploring shitty overgrown trails the protection they have is invaluable. Also the stiff sole makes them great for cycling. I've cycled 10 hours in them and they stay comfortable.

I also have a pair of Merrell Moab Adventure boots which are incredibly comfortable, much lighter, and more breathable. However they aren't "waterproof" beyond light rain or short exposure.
>>
>>2769068
I used Speedgoat 5. I'm currently on the 3rd pair since they only last 400 miles. I have used one pair to 500, but the foam lost all the springiness way before that. If you value your knees, 400 miles should be maximum. Don't buy running shoes because some guy on internet recommended a model. Go to a store and try which size and model fits your footshape the best and get than one. The special 4mm or 5mm rubber lugs on the outsole or whatever are gimmicks. The fit isn't. Consider all brands and all models as exactly the same which they are unless you compete and grams actually matter to you. But then you wouldn't be asking here for a shoe recommendation
>>
>>2771116
>foam loses all its springiness by 400 miles
is this fairly standard for all foam, including shit like the huge foam-soled running/walking shoes nb and nike put out?
>>
>>2771115
Do these have the "danner dry", or goretex or are they just tightly bound conditioned leather?
>>
>>2771106
Any hiking shoe shouldn't be used on concrete if you want to extend the life of it but yeah Salomons are even worse in that regard. I've worn out their trail runners in 4 or 5 scrambles
>>
I've worn the insulated Danner Mountain 600s with the Danner Dry waterproofing and they've been great over two seasons. Danner Dry seems fine at least for snow.

The boots aren't the best wearing though. They'll be toast after this season for sure and honestly might not make it through. Got them for 120 dollars and I used them a ton, so I got my money's worth.
>>
>>2769202
>>2769251
Wondering what climates you guys live in and how you wear your boots. If you're getting your boots wet for a week in hot weather they will rot out, as will getting them wet and then leaving them in the back of your car in the sun, as I learned with a very good pair of boots that would have lasted a few more years if I hadn't done that.
>>
>>2771156
All foam loses springiness. Obviously if you are heavy or do running instead of walking this makes it go bad even faster. The problems here is that shoes with thick foam let you get away with poor walking/running form while the foam is new and you might develop a bad gait. Then the foam goes bad and you keep using the shoe because it looks new enough and fuck up cartilage in your knees. Minimalist shoes on the other hand will make it uncomfortable to walk before you did any lasting damage to the knee,so you just learn to walk properly.

Generally thicker midsole shoes have softer foams because the thickness makes it firm anyway. So generally the thicker the shoe the less time it lasts.
>>
File: 1687621789407796.jpg (9 KB, 220x180)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2769007
>Hiking boots are a meme
>but not these hiking boots i own
>>
>>2771470
>have become a marketing meme

Hiking boots actually meant something not even just five years. Nowadays they're for the most part consumerist garbage. Case in point, as another anon pointed out that Obōz makes the same boot with different materials. Guess which boot will most likely be sold based on the reviews of the better quality boot?
>>
>>2771079
I really like my thin barefoot shoes for that reason, feels impossible to roll an ankle, but I'm doing less than 20 miles a weekend so my feet being a bit sore isn't a big deal.
Think my feet bones would explode if I tried to do a thru in them at a decent pace
>>
>>2771402

Lake District in the UK. So damp, wet and cold most of the year, frosty and icy as well as wet in the depths of winter and humid summers.

I take good care of my /out/ gear though. It always lasts a very long time. I generally tear holes in stuff before anything gets retired from wear alone.
>>
File: 1659079696980939.jpg (67 KB, 860x602)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
I should have gone up half a size lads.
>>
>>2769007
No they haven't, but it's very difficult to distinguish between boots that are expensive because of marketing hogwash and boots that are expensive because they're good.
>>
>>2771556
Buy a boot stretcher
https://footfitter.com/collections/boot-stretchers?srsltid=AfmBOop-DmVpRDB6EMxq3i5YNWd4mggzByOwaqN1UmJlSRiJ0XzHOCRJ
>>
>>2769007
For some cheap ones just get jim green razorbacks
https://jimgreenfootwear.com/store/razorback-b6-b/?srsltid=AfmBOoog45f1nTzwJ7jVgssZywHXlPJ6nkuzyxt5s69fvBQ3Zg4zAhMs
>>
One of my feet is at least a half size longer than the other, and I have very high arches. Tempted to embrace the sandal meme at this point
>>
File: 69425_I.jpg (131 KB, 1200x1200)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>2771402
If the sole glue melts you can literally just tear them off with pliers and then stick some new vibrams on with contact cement for like $40 in your garage. Stick them on your baby anvil and hammer it down. I have one of these from harbor freight it's $20. Just cut the excess then sand them with a belt sander. Saddle stitching is also easy and you can cut and put a midsole and repair a lot of cheaper boots and stick a new sole on. You can buy like 5-6oz veg tanned in a sheet for like $40 and add that midsole and even cement 2 layers for even more of a midsole.
>>
>>2771232
i figured. what would you recommend instead? it's tough to carry so many pairs of shoes when traveling. but if there's no choice then i could just bring a pair of beaters and then hiking/trail shoes.
>>
File: Penn-Jillette-8598.jpg (150 KB, 860x1376)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>2770671
>can't be resoled
>not all leather
>>
>ctrl+f "scarpa"
>zero results
They're stiff and heavy but tough as hell. I've got the kinesis pros and use them for work soil sampling. Still holding up after 2 full seasons meanwhile my solomons lasted 2 weeks and my merrels lasted about a month. Then again, not everyone is clambering up talus and boulder fields or sidehilling all day long.
>>
>>2771826
It sounds like you don't need anything hard-core so really anything from a major brand that fits well on your feet will do you fine. Take advantage of a local shop and try on whatever seems appealing to you
>>
>>2769057
Boots definitely protect the ankles. Used to hike using running shoes and would always hit a rock or a root.
>>
>>2772229
Scarpas are solid, had a pair that lasted 20 years.
You have to keep that leather fed though
>>
>>2769007
OP, post the brands and models you recommend for long term hiking or a military setting. I need some sauce on good survival boots.
>>
>>2773159
>Scarpas are solid
Why do I see cancer warnings all over their product pages?
>>
>>2769068
I was at Chamonix during UTMB and team Hoka dominated (they are the official sponsor as well and they got shitloads of cash to throw about) but I know one of their runners who came in top in the TDS race and he said the new Tecton was the best runner he ever wore (take that with a pinch of salt but whatever)
>>
>>2773163
You shouldn't be eating shoes, anon.
>>
>>2769012
>>2769057
>>2769129
>>2769251
>>2769484
>>2769557
>>2770671

HELLO FAGGOTS!!!
>>
>>2773167
>You shouldn't be eating shoes, anon
No seriously, are there pfas chemicals in these? Shouldn't them just be leather, cork soles and stitching with steel pieces?
>>
File: 1724020803412875.jpg (26 KB, 715x400)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2771115
>pink laces
>>
>>2773170
I think that's just some california compliant bullshit.
Those warnings are on everything meant for US market nowadays.
>>
File: 1725686919012286.webm (1.18 MB, 1280x720)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB WEBM
>>2773167
it only applies in california
>>
Combat boots make for shit hiking boots and you both know nothing about the military or the outdoors if you insist otherwise
>>
>>2769129
those look really nice, sad that they discontinued them =(
>>
>>2773673
Depends what you're doing... some people hike / bushwhack and need something similar to a combat boot, to tuck in pants and have the high ankle support.
>>
>>2773161
I ended up with a pair of uninsulated Danner Vital boots.

It's I stated in the OP I'm out of the loop with boots and brands. But the pair I got were light weight, high ankle and are so far waterproof so I can't complain.
>>
>>2773709
Then get hunting boots. Combat boots are padded, stiff, and are universally very heavy with a tread texture that isn't suitable for rough terrain. All the guys in Afghanistan who could wore merells and salomons instead of issue boots for a reason
>>
>>2773817
I don't think anyone is suggesting wearing basic issued combat boots anon... hunting boots yes.
>>
I’ve just used a pair of Tevas the past few years, work fine for me
>>
>>2773691
they were phenomenal, most comfy boots ive ever used but they were definitely discontinued for durability reasons as the rubber outsole extension detaches from the leather after a few seasons of hard use, as well as the spandex on the ankle collar losing elasticity and the liner is fixed so on this model so it can't be replaced, ive gotten a few pairs on ebay over the years and they are great while they last
>>
>>2773832
>>2773169
>>
File: mh100.jpg (170 KB, 1200x1200)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
Thoughts on Quechua MH100 or any other cheap shit trekking shoes?
I just want something that's decent enough for walking around forests in autumn (so water and mud resistant).
>>
>>2774745
Budget price will get you budget equipment. No matter the brand. Should be good for a bit.
>>
>>2773169
dyke boots
>>
>>2774814
They look even worse in person. Some of the least good looking surp boots out there, the proportions are fucking weird
>>
>>2774745
Get these
>>
>>2774999
They used to be a steal at $140, but they have raised them to biden prices at $190
>>
File: chacos.jpg (176 KB, 1600x1600)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>2769007
I just wear Chacos when I go hiking
>>
>hiking boots
>>
Maybe I'm a retard, but I have a pair of Zamberlands that have done me well for the past few years. They cost about that price.
>>
>>2773817
>Combat boots are padded, stiff, and are universally very heavy with a tread texture that isn't suitable for rough terrain
kek. always reminds me how the term "military-grade" is paraded around as being top-notch, but anyone whose been in the military knows just that means "these are cheap asf to mass produce, so shut up and deal with it"
>>
>>2775021
nah zamberlan's a good brand, i've had an EDC pair since a couple of years now and i wouldn't want to trade them. i like joking about italian leather as well.
>>
>>2774999
Redpill me on these, the AR8 seems to be perfect to me as a duty boot. Brown, non membrane, light, leather, wide toebox. I'm pretty sure I can get the weight down even more of I get a custom pair without the inner lining. Is it worth getting the buffalo skin over the regular? Are they good or just overhyped?
>>
>>2775051
https://youtu.be/VVMVZ-IZJG8?t=441
>>
>>2775000
I got the razorbacks with the tire tread sole, literally best shoes I've ever owned. Wear them while hiking, hunting, and to work.
>>
File: suggestion.jpg (161 KB, 1100x1392)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>2775051
>Redpill

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.