[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ezgif-5-5e31d2f912.jpg (169 KB, 1000x648)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
Suppose you're going to go vagabonding around the world as far and wide as possible entirely by foot.
What gear would you bring (pack, sleeping bag/tent/bivvy/whatever you want, clothes, shoes, food, water and/or maybe even self defense)?
What would you do for money (one-day jobs, errand running, farm work)?
How would you deal with each season (Winter: Cold, Spring: Rain, Summer: Heat, Autumn: Mix of all three)?
How would you prepare physically (rucking, (ultra)marathons, lifting or maybe even martial arts for self defense)?
What would you prepare administratively (passports, visas, permits etc.)?
Suppose you started from where you live, where you would you wanna go?
Suppose you'd do all of this but on a bicycle instead, explain what would differ and concur more. (Like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOYaYv9DsY&t=89s&pp=ygUPaSBjeWNsZWQgYWNyb3Nz)

This thread is not for the following:
>hurr are you mentally insane bro just hike on weekends like a normal person bro
or any of these sorts of responses. It's just a thought experiment.

Picrel: Heavenly Delusion
>>
File: wojakhike.png (2.98 MB, 1920x1200)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB PNG
>>2771083
Bump

I wanted to be a vagabond my entire life but I've always been too afraid to do it. Partially because I need to take meds to live and I'm afraid of not having access to them.

I daydream about it constantly lads. Why the fuck is it so enticing? I want to throw away everything I own except a backpack full of essentials and never be tied down. Why can't I be happy with the lifestyle everyone else is accustomed to? When I mention the idea people look at me like I need to be put in a mental hospital.
>>
I feel like I would be up for doing this but I'm not sure about the sleeping outside situation, particularly if it's in a city. Camping in the wilderness is a completely different story for me.

https://x.com/shagbark_hick I've found this account before, and although I disagree with his lifestyle in my own personal way.

He has posted lots of threads on x and articles on his substack describing how he has been doing exactly what you describe in OP for many years, even with a wife it seems.

I think I would personally prefer to wander from town to town but have at least enough cash to crash as much as possible in a local's house or some sort of hostel. The only thing holding me back is am really broke and not super confident in my survival/self-defense skills.
>>
What's that youtube channel that gets posted here sometimes? I can't remember the name, Vagabond something? All the thumbnails are black and red old western style.
>>
>>2771227
>I wanted to be a vagabond my entire life but I've always been too afraid to do it. Partially because I need to take meds to live and I'm afraid of not having access to them.
story of my life. born to wild, but chained to modern medicine to keep breathing
>>
File: 1684375706849326.jpg (125 KB, 826x960)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>2771083
i know a guy who did this, he's in japan right now though and possibly out of touch.
he had an osprey pack, sleeping bag and 2 man tent with a midge-proof inner.
to prepare he just hiked and climbed a lot of mountains for years.
I will try to get him to chime in if i can.
>>2772043
vagrant holiday
>>
File: a human.jpg (80 KB, 1080x773)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2771083
all your answers lie below.
>>2774155
>i know a guy who did this
this is the guy btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWm3EQ9l6M0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDYNFlL77IE
There's like 10 episodes of his journey
>>
>>2773984
Well for me it's just pills. i could stock up theoretically but one bad mishap with the police or my stuff being stolen and it's game over. It's not anything scheduled either.

FUUUUCCKKK. I keep thinking about it. I wonder if I could have a doctor on call to call in an emergency prescription in case of disaster. Life is out there. I want to be where life is.
>>
>>2774667
what kind of pills? why would the police take them if it's medicine you need to live?
>>
>>2774693
Because the police are insane psychopaths when dealing with the homeless. You think they give a shit?
>>
>>2774694
so what would your plan be? get like 100 days worth of pills? and take them with you unill you can find another doctor to replenish?
>>
>>2774697
I don't need a doctor to prescribe me. It just makes it more convenient. I can order my medication from overseas. But in the case of a disaster I can't wait 2 weeks for shipping
>>
>>2774703
mate if you lose yours meds in some foreign shithole you are fucked anyway.
in most places in europe, certainly the uk, you will have them within a day or two.
>>
>>2771083
I've been trying to adjust my mindset to embrace travel ordeals, instead of always choosing the easiest vagabond lifestyles. Enduring weather extremes, showering with jug of water and shitting in the dirt don't bother me; sleeping on a hard surface is my biggest hang-up. But unless you are capable of sleeping rough, you will always find yourself traveling between human settlements like a conventional traveller instead of being a true vagabond and wilding it.
>>2771233
What's all this concern about self-defense? If you experience hostility from locals who don't want you hanging around for whatever reason, you don't pick a fight with them; you move on. There's no way you, the foot traveller, are going to start a fight with a hostile local populace and emerge the victor.
>>
>>2777412
wow so you have actual experience doing it?
Care to share some stories?
>>
>>2772043
Vagrant holiday

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.