[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240712_165827.jpg (1.52 MB, 1716x3840)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
Lets discuss. Some say acorns are edible. We think not? Much discuss to say. Sass a frass roots yum yum? Perhaps. Many berries here, but which one will Le Die me? Lets talk Anons.
>>
>>2772255
Also, anyone want to be homeless with me? No drug addicts plz
>>
>>2772255
You should probably focus on spelling before you start to focus on foraging. You seem school aged, pay more attention and scroll less.
>>
If you are serious, start with muscadine. Tasty and literally everywhere.
>>
No, I am not homeless, but I will give you advice as a resident of these woods:

You should learn these things before you go out in the woods, if you are really in the woods. Many parts way out, you will not get a cell signal to go online or communicate. Here is good info on foraging, really just berries, roots, and fungus.

https://feralforaging.com/foraging-alabama-and-southeast/

You don't have to living on foraging like a wild hog, you can hunt, fish, and trap. Even using just a knife and/or the materials around you, you can build a shelter, catch meat, start a fire and cook it. A rifle makes hunting much easier, which you can use responsibly on public land if you are mindful and trained, let alone private lands. Cartridges also help you start friction fires in an emergency.

Those waters look pretty shallow, you won't get much in the way of big catfish in them. Deep running waters like rivers and lakes will have good fishing, you can fish with a pole, a net, just a line, a spear (DIY or otherwise), your hand, a trotline or trap, wooden trap, and in many ways. Passive ways allow you to do other work while the traps catch fish and game.

Otherwise you will want to prepare with equipment:

>A backpacking pack 50L or more
>A bivy sack, bedroll, and sleeping bag for setting up camp
>Dry clothes, food supplies, flint, knife, compass, canteen, water filter (iodine and/or filter)
>>
File: Cornbread.jpg (90 KB, 1515x772)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>2773309

The best foods to pack are dry foods, minimizing water weight in your pack. That is what the canteen and filters are for. Dry grains, oats, pemmican, jerky, dried meat, dried veggies, pasta, flour, spices, cornbread mix, nuts, trail mix, things like that.
>>
File: 54365356.jpg (182 KB, 718x718)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Do you have a shelter? For me, I have lived on the road. In tents, vehicles, been homeless in shelters but do not want to be homeless again.

Wherever I have laid my head is my home. You can build, buy, or commission a shelter if you do not have one on the land now.

A hut, wigwam, bushcraft shelter, a fighting hole or cave. Here is a primitive Viking style house, it is a solid design from natural material.

You might be able to trap some fish from that water or a deeper part of it, but you can definitely trap birds and other game.
>>
File: 939239493.jpg (63 KB, 604x401)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2773335
Here it is finished, you can use turf for bark for the roof.
>>
File: 883828432.jpg (265 KB, 768x768)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>2773337
The wooden panels on front are called gables or dyrestil meaning animal style.
>>
File: 921939293.jpg (2.45 MB, 3509x2383)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>2773335

Handmade log cabin, lot of work. A kit home is much faster and easier, but these can be made from local materials.
>>
File: 7654676.jpg (256 KB, 1423x800)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>>2773341
3 bed kit home, kit homes can take 3-6 months to put up.
>>
File: 43234234.gif (101 KB, 1024x730)
101 KB
101 KB GIF
>>2773344
If you want to build a modern ranch style house like is most common, say a 3 bed, you'll have to build it yourself from scratch, a kit, or commission it from builders and contractors.
>>
File: 2881832.jpg (67 KB, 640x460)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2773348
This is a ranch style house, I live in a 3 bed 2 ba like this in rural Alabama in the woods.
>>
>>2773309
Thank you for all the information. You truely are a wise outdoorsmen Anon.
>>
If you're wanting to start delving into wild edible plants (esp in the SE), I'd start with your standard field weeds like dandelion and broadleaf plantain. They're everywhere and invasive, so idgaf about using them. If you're friends with some older folks around you, ask them about poke sallet. Don't just jump into pokeweed because if you fuck up you'll get the shits for 2-3 days. Also during fall: passionflower (the native variety) fruit is becoming ripe along with native persimmons which you can do a lot with.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.