[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: air rifle.jpg (15 KB, 301x168)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Not sure this belongs in the hunting general. I'm looking for an air rifle for taking out rabbits where I live. Neighbors are within 50-75 yards of my house so putting a can on a .22 and using subsonics isn't safe in my book. So a few questions for /out/.

Are PCP air rifles worth the price? I like the look of the Benjamin Maurader.
If not, there's a cheap Gamo Shadow Whisper at Walmart I'm looking at getting. Seems like it has good reviews.

I'm replacing my little pumpmaster 66 or something that broke.
>>
>>2773048
Multi pump is better than break barrel for pest control since you can vary the power and not shoot holes in your fence. The Benjamin 397 and 392 are a step up from the shitty almost-toys.
>>
>>2773051
Looks like they discontinued the Benjamins again. Maybe the Seneca Dragonfly Mk.2 or the Crosman C362 Classic.
>>
>>2773053
Isn't a co2 or pcp better?
>>
>>2773072
CO2 is shitty. PCP is better for hunting but maybe not for pest control if you want low power.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 275x183)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2773048
using a gun to kill animals is degenerate and cringe. at least fight fair you chud
>>
Bought a .17 off the shelf at academy sports and was blown away at how powerful this thing is. I put a target on my wooden privacy fence and took one shot and the pellet went through the fence. Literally like a 5/8th inch picket clean through it.
>>
>>2773073
With small game what’s the difference?
>>
I don’t want to high jack your thread OP but given the vicinity of your neighbors maybe my question will be relevant. Has anyone tried the “supressed” pellet guns? How quiet are they? Are they quieter than a .22 with a can?
>>
>>2773084
Pest control is at closer range, softer targets (mice, rats, and pigeons die easily) and more concern about property damage.

>>2773095
Even without a gimmicky suppressor airguns are super quiet and don't sound like a gunshot. Some advertise supersonic or transonic FPS, but that's with light pellets. You want heavier subsonic pellets for accuracy anyway, so there's no supersonic crack to worry about. The only gun-like sound is when a pellet hits a twig or something and destabilizes. It sounds like a wild west movie bullet.
>>
>>2773074
It works though. How's being a faggot working out for you?
>>
>>2773109
Makes sense about the suppressor. Thanks for the info anon.
>>
>>2773048
>my little pumpmaster 66 or something
crosman 760 pumpmaster? how was that treating you for rabbits before it broke?
>>
File: 38283482.jpg (158 KB, 882x600)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>2773074
Learn some history, everyone hunted with rifles. I grew up shooting guns, hunting with Indigenous people, and descend from Europeans.
>>
>>2773347
It's a 66 pumpmaster, the gun is probably old enough to vote now. It was fine, not nearly as accurate as I'd like in the past few months. I ended up picking up a Gamo Shadow Whisper at Walmart for $100 and it shits all over the crossman. One pump, load pellet, and done. Quite a bit more accurate too.

The corssman was great as a rat gun though.
I think this new Gamo, as far as one session with it goes, hits harder, has better sights, and is significantly more accurate. Also much more convenient. I'll give the crossman to my kid as their first gun when they're 10 like my dad did me.
>>
File: fps.png (218 KB, 552x860)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
new to airguns, can anyone comment on whether this chart is accurate for FPS rating and pellet type for various game?
>>
>>2773522
Depends on caliber and weight, but I'd argue any airgun between .177 and .25 hitting >800fps on impact will kill anything smaller than a fox or small beaver.
>>
>>2773350
think i give a shit about some buck-broken natives trying to be white. theyre poseurs too
>>
>>2773053
>Looks like they discontinued the Benjamins again
Bummer.
I have a Benjamin I got (used) as a kid like 40 years ago.
Multi-pump in .22
Damn thing can still take small game.
I know there's plenty of options for more powerful .177's and .22's nowadays but if anyone comes across an old Bemjamin they're worth grabbing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.