[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>be me
>2 am at home in bed, still cant fall asleep
>'fuck it im gonna try and sleep outside'
>go to an apartment building nearby where there is zero activity at night
>go to the back of said appartment building thats just facing some shrubbery, very quiet
>'people never come here so I should be fine'
>find a spot clear of any insects on the tiles
>lay out a sturdy folded blanket to lay on
>lay there
>...
>any and all sounds alert me immediately and can see my HR spiking on my watch
>cant fall asleep for the life of me, constantly keeping my head on a swivel
>way too alert and sensitive to all sounds, rustling of the wind, distant dog barks etc.
>spider walks infront of me
>freak out, kill it
>soon another spider slowly droops down from the overhang of the building
>freak out, kill it
>cant fucking fall asleep, too fucking alert
>5 am, sun starts coming up
>just go home

Is this why you need a tent? Or am I missing something? To be fair I was just laying there with nothing covering me but it was very nice weather so didn't really need anything. And this was my first ever attempt at sleeping outside.
>>
>>2773403
I'm the same way. I struggle falling asleep whether I'm in my own comfy bed, a hotel, innawoods, truck bed camper, etc. My mind is way too active at night. Ruins my life desu.
>>
>>2773403
Why are you larping as a homeless person, laying on a wall in the city is not /out/ing. I just accept shit can happen and prepare the best I can, usually I convince myself that I have prepared for 60% of possible events, with the goal of 80%. After that you just lay down. It takes me quite a few days before I actually fully sleep like I do at home though. Last trip was 8 weeks with my tent, I did 1 day per week in a hotel/bed and breakfast to actually sleep deeply.
>>
when I'm home and its dead silent I can't sleep, I have to play something out of my phone. when I'm in my bivvy the noise of nature soothes me. plus it keeps the spiders off my face
>>
>>2773403
Get less sleep. I sleep on average 4-5 hours a night. Any more and I'm too well rested, stay up late and fuck up my rhythm.

I function much better and actually have more energy when I force myself not to sleep as much as I could. Sometimes I'll skip a night of sleep to force myself to be tired the next day and get back on schedule.

Also wake up really early, personally I keep my alarm clock set to about 20 minutes before civil twilight. Since that time is constantly changing it's not perfect, I just adjust it every few weeks to keep myself aligned.

Also I don't fully activate until about 2-3 hours after waking up, so even though I get less sleep than the average person I spend the first hours of every day usually just sitting using my phone, drinking coffee, watching birds, sometimes go take a walk outside. I think about what I want to get done today but usually don't get to work for at least 2 hours after waking up, whether it's a work day or a weekend. This seems to be an important part of my process, like I don't need to be asleep but I need some quiet thinking time.

It's been a very positive change to my mental health and productivity to consistently wake up with the sun. Well slightly before it, but I think the exact timing isn't as important as the consistency. I have no set bedtime but I always plan to be awake based on sun time, not clock time.
>>
>>2773403
>sleep problems
Stop drinking alcohol.
>>
File: secret society blanket.png (1.24 MB, 1356x742)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>2773403
>Is this why you need a tent? Or am I missing something?
firstly, you are missing the wilderness/nature. city/town outdoors is horrible. you sound like a nervous wreck too, when i really can't sleep because i am too fucked i just get wasted. Here's my recipe to a comfy camp sleep:
1. thick comfy bedding, atleast 30mm thick foam mat, 50mm ideally. inflatable ones are ok but in my experience, always burst within a few uses and deflate in the night, you wake up on the cold ground.
2. warm sleeping bag. do not buy chink shit, get something that costs over £50. i have a down sleeping bag, very good, but nowhere near as good as sheep skins, i sewed 5 together into a big blanket and i use that in the winter now, it is often TOO warm!
3. balaclava. make your head comfy, i use a folded scarf of jumper as my pillow too.
4. block out noises. the wind can wake you up, and rain, and other sounds, but a tent does help with some of this. I often sleep in just a simple tarp shelter. but noise does keep me up.
5. if you cannot sleep get up and sit up for a minute, get cosy, read a book or play with the embers of the fire, something chill and calming. pretty soon i guarantee you will find yourself nodding off.
>>
>>2773731
>Also wake up really early, personally I keep my alarm clock set to about 20 minutes before civil twilight. Since that time is constantly changing it's not perfect, I just adjust it every few weeks to keep myself aligned
Get a rooster one day and he'll do this naturally
>>
>>2774237
I could sleep right through it, I use a sonic bomb alarm clock with bed shaker and it is barely loud enough. Maybe if I keep the rooster in my bedroom.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.