[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2688.jpg (776 KB, 6000x4000)
776 KB
776 KB JPG
Are you preparing for the eclipse? I just slapped a filter on my cheap 300mm tamron, no idea what I'm doing but I read a few things online.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Camera Softwarepaint.net 5.0.13
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern14352
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)450 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2024:03:28 17:46:05
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length300.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: eclipse.jpg (546 KB, 1536x2048)
546 KB
546 KB JPG
>>4299107
yes. writing a script for smart shooter to bracket all my shots for me from just before C2 to just after C3. intervalometer for the rest

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 15 Pro
Camera Software17.3.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)14 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2024:03:26 16:20:06
Exposure Time1/44 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness-0.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length2.22 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1536
Image Height2048
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4299107
also it looks like it is out of focus as you should see some sun spots. also keep in mind depending on your filter, it might not be eye safe, so use live view instead of your OVF
>>
>>4299110
Yeah I need to figure out the focus since it's a manual lens. I'm using the live view, of course.
>>
>>4299111
focus rings can be very sensitive at infinity, if you get it close you should be able to use CDAF to finish focus. if you're having problems you can get one of those levers I have on my focus ring. Sunwayfoto makes them

https://sunwayfoto-store.com/products/drh-60-65-70-77-88-focusing-handles?variant=41749578383518
>>
>>4299107
no, i know it's supposed to be life changing but it isn't worth the travel for me, i'm not so old that i can't see one in the future when i have more money and time
plus i got my share of fun sun things with the wildfire smoke in the northeast last year, where i was able to shoot the sun in daylight and without filters or glasses and see the sun spots >>4299110 mention (thought they were shit on my lens at first until i looked it up online and matched them to then-current sun spots which was cool as hell to me)
>>
>>4299110
>>4299123
That's also with a ND100k, forgot to mention. I just ordered a 1 million just to have options. That's probably part of why you can't see sun spots, aside from my focus.
>>
>>4299107
OP
Do you see this nigger here? >>4299108 look at him.
He sounds like he has half a clue about what he's talking about. He probably actually doesn't. Most don't, and most who try still won't.

Whatever you do, you'll be disappointed. Just rest easy knowing you can't get a good photograph of it without spending at least $25K.

The other anon trying to bracket with his fancy tripod is probably gonna get a better image than you, but none of you are gonna be getting amazing shots like you're used to seeing from NASA and other places using literal telescopes and liquid cooled sensors.

Set expectations accordingly and embrace the moment. Use necessary shades and VIEW IT IN PERSON don't worry so much about the camera, don't ruin the moment for a subpar photograph your eyes (with binoculars or something, or a telescope) will see it better than any DSLR will. 45MP is child's play compared to what the human eye is capable of. Unless you've got bad eyesight or something but even still, that's what the telescope/binoculars are for. Those have ways to adjust/correct for your personal vision.

This kind of photography is legitimately hard. You're subject to light pollution, atmosphere, and a long list of other issues.
This isn't gatekeeping. You can always try with cheap kit or lack of experience but the point is these are rare, and if you spend your moment fucking around with your camera and don't appreciate it in person you'll be doing it wrong. Make the best of viewing it at the moment through your actual eyeballs and do the camera thing on the side. You might get a cool shot but there are millions of people doing the same and there will be some huge spenders with awesome gear (who are also willing to travel to ideal locations for viewing, which you might not be) posting their images for all to see, so even if you screw it up you'll still be able to see cool photos.
>>
>>4299187
The next total eclipse in the US is in 20 years duder, assuming you're an American. Every other total eclipse is overseas n shit. Ausfailia, Iceland, etc. If you didn't want to travel for this one and you know you'll live another 20 years then okay.
>>
>>4299428
that has nothing to do with it

>>4299438
>liquid cooled sensors
nigger this is the sun, not a deep space object. you need a ND5 filter to not even destroy your lens, let alone your sensor. its not like you need 10 hours of integration time here.

>You're subject to light pollution
again, this is the fucking sun

>atmosphere
seeing conditions are a legitimate concern

>huge spenders with awesome gear
again this is the fucking sun, you can do this with a entry level APSC DSLR and a 70-300 and a solar filter

>>4299441
technically there is one in ~10 years in alaska
>>
>>4299447
>nigger this is the sun, not a deep space object. you need a ND5 filter to not even destroy your lens, let alone your sensor. its not like you need 10 hours of integration time here.
No it isn't, this is the ECLIPSE. Most of the frame will be low light.
Also, noise is noise.
Sensorlets and cheap "pro" DSLR fags think their images are of sufficient quality but they all rely on noise reduction for the most part (or Adobe meme software which applies it, and "raw noise reduction" by default) so they think their sensors are noise free when they're not.

>again, this is the fucking sun
kek
Again, it's the eclipse.
Light pollution matters here still.

>seeing conditions are a legitimate concern
They always are which is why travelfags are going to win over cityfags and densely populated townfags.

Decent is possible, but anyone aiming for spectacular will be BTFO by what the big budget fags will get.
A lot of people look forward to these. Like they'll actually take off work and hop on a plane to get to a good location.
Whether you're a full frame or even medium format faggot is irrelevant here you're gonna get out tryharded by someone who actually cares about astrophotography and has the kit and knows how to photograph eclipses.

Your eyes are still better than the travel+kit fags camera, so eye up that shit behind your protective shades and witness it firsthand. Trying to photograph the thing that countless millions are also photographing is kind of a wasted effort.
The photography game is rigged. Everyone except giant budget organizations is already hopelessly cucked by the RGB bayer filter and subject to its losses, while the likes of NASA or tryhards will be using panchromatic sensors and color wheels/multispectral imaging devices with telescopic lenses.

You might capture a 6/10.
The real people will be capturing a 9/10.
All I'm saying is don't tryhard to view your shitty 6, and view the 10/10 with your actual human eyes and live in the moment.
>>
>>4299452
>Most of the frame will be low light
its not that low light. i'm using a Z7, for earth shine it is 1/10th shutter speed, f/5.6 and ISO 3200, for the inner corona it is 1/60th f/5.6 and ISO 64. you're a retard who hasnt even looked at a exposure calculator.

for comparison when i've shot the milkyway, it was 14mm f/1.8 ISO 25600 and 3 second exposures, and like 50 light frames

stay poor and stay retarded anon
>>
>>4299107
Your photo looks out of focus and overexposed. Also if you’re in the path of totality, be advised that you’ll need to take your filter off for totality, so find a way to easily take your filter off without moving the camera too much or you’ll spend most of those precious 3-4 minutes readjusting your setup
>>
>>4299441
yeah I'm a burger and used to disappointment don't worry
>you know you'll live another 20 years then okay.
of course i don't know that for sure but it's alright taking a measured risk on and the only places nearby for this one are almost certainly gonna be raining or snowing anyway
>>
Like >>4299438 said, when it comes to cool pictures of the sun during an eclipse your janky telezoom is never going to compete with extreme UV images from ESA satellites and such.

If you want to see for yourself how far you can get with The One You Have With You™, knock yourself out. If you want an image someone else may be interested in looking at though, a snapshit of the gathered crowd stands a better chance.

So turn you back to the eclipse and capture the wonder on the face of some elementary schooler, figure out how the sun's position in the sky would fit in a decent landscape/cityscape shot, make a timelapse of your dog sleeping through the whole thing, the eclipse barely visible through a window in the background, whatever. If it ends up shit, at least it's not the exact same shit image 10.000 other people also took.
>>
File: IMG_9987.jpg (984 KB, 1024x1024)
984 KB
984 KB JPG
>>4299107
Been getting ready for awhile now. ND100000 filter, practicing solar shots, reading up, watching tutorials... but with my luck, we'll have a blizzard for the eclipse.
(Western NY near Buffalo)

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS Rebel T8i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.2 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.2
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2024:03:24 15:59:27
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>4299876
that is comically over sharpened
>>
File: Busted.jpg (681 KB, 2711x1074)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
>>4299879
Wow, you got me. 40 to 60. I'm so ashamed. See, this is my face showing my shame.
>>
>>4299882
nigger, the sun isnt full of noise, and it isnt sensor noise either since you're at iso 100. you've processed that image so much the sun has a fucking texture to it

>muh solar granules
your camera isnt high enough resolution to capture them
>>
>>4299882
>>4299894
you've put this image through imppg or something else to the point that is it embarrassingly over done. go post the raw file from your low end APS-C and what i'm guessing is a 100-400.
>>
File: DSC_9724.jpg (253 KB, 1320x874)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>4299110
speaking on sun spots, last summer during the fires you could actually see sunspots with the naked eye

Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Camera Raw 12.3 (Windows)
PhotographerAJM
Color Filter Array Pattern796
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Created2023:06:28 20:51:12
Exposure Time1/1600 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias-1.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSC_9727.jpg (703 KB, 1972x1306)
703 KB
703 KB JPG
>>4300138

Camera ModelNIKON D7000
PhotographerAJM
Image Created2023:06:28 20:47:36
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias-1.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: file.png (34 KB, 819x287)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
which one of these lens should I use for the eclipse, the 300mm? thats the most telephoto I have. Do I need to buy a 58mm filter for it?
>>
File: Eclipse DSC06391.jpg (12 KB, 597x398)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>4299438
I got a photo good enough to make me happy with a 1" sensor and a 70mm equivalent lens.
Seven years later, with full frame and a 400mm lens, I will get a decent picture. This isn't scientific imaging; I'm not trying to extract any useful data from the photo.

Oh, except it's going to be thunderstorms all day. Fuck me.

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image Width597
Image Height398
>>
>this so much autism to take a photo of a black ball with a light ring
clowns
>>
>>4300142
yes you need a filter
>>
>>4300302
well im SOL, everywhere is sold out. what if I just put the eclipse glasses over the lens
>>
>>4300306
>what if I just put the eclipse glasses over the lens
they arent big enough, they're designed for your eyes, not a lens. they're link small sun glasses. if you had a sheet of the film it would work. this isnt advertised as a solar filter but it is 16 stops. wont block UV or IR

https://www.amazon.com/Kase-Wolverine-ND100000-Magnetic-Shockproof/dp/B0C3KNH1JQ
>>
>>4300309
could i use this for other situations as well? $100 for a 2 hour event seems steep
>>
>>4300316
not really unless you like blurring water or trying to take exposures of busy areas and make it look like there arent people there. most people bought their shit a month ago or longer

>$100 for a 2 hour event seems steep
be gald you dont use 95mm filters like me
>>
>>4300316
also thats a magnetic filter so you get to spend an extra $30 on an adapter for your lens. or just buy them and return them after the 8th
>>
>>4300306
BH isn't sold out. In fact they're already cheaper than I paid, because they want to unload all their inventory before Monday.
Look for "universal solar filter" - it's just a cheap cardboard housing that you'll slap over your lens, but it does the job for $20.
>>4300316
This is a once, maybe twice or thrice in a lifetime event. People are spending thousands of dollars on flights across the country, lodging and other associated costs. Please trust me when I say that $100 is worth it (and you're maybe $30 with shipping).

It's pretty much only appropriate for solar photography. Nothing else that you'll be looking at needs THAT much attenuation.
>>
>>4300321
>This is a once, maybe twice or thrice in a lifetime event. People are spending thousands of dollars on flights across the country, lodging and other associated costs
stop reminding me i'm poor and out of the path
>>
>>4300320
i dont understand how the magnetic ring works, What exaclty is the name of the part that kase sells?
>>
>>4300327
>What exaclty is the name of the part that kase sells?
Sneed's seed and feed, formerly Chuck's
>>
>>4300327
nevermind, i was retarded and it does come with the adapter ring you need
>>
>>4300337
too late i already bought the cardboard ones ones from BH
>>
Watching people lose their shit over cloud projections/models and cancel plans is primo entertainment.
>>
I have to work at my wageslave job despite only being half an hour away from totality. wasn't able to get the day off because the higher ups already took the day off
>>
Can I just use an ND filter? I don't care about getting too many amazing shots, maybe just a couple. I read a reddit thread and they said I would fry the sensor despite taking pictures of the sun all the time and haven't noticed any damage
>>
>>4301098
call in sick
>>
>>4301174
I should man up and do this, its just they already knew I wanted that day off so they might get sus
>>
>>4299107
astro is mentally handicapped to do, you can't get paid for it, and it looks the same as online images - or worse, if you make any mistakes.

Only mentally handicapped stupid retards do it.
>>
>>4301303
>you can't get paid for it
nigger, people here arent getting paid for their photography. its a hobby, typically for people who arent poor. anyways stay a shutin neet
>>
>>4301306
If you were a KING you would hire me.
>>
>>4301301
You won't get another chance in your lifetime to see one.
>>
I'll see y'all in the Missouri/Indiana/Illinois area later today. Gonna be camping innawoods with my Canon T6s and a loaf of bread.

Fuck Maine.
>>
>>4299894
The Sun does indeed have texture. Go buy a solar filter, borrow a camera, steal a lens, learn some basics, and start taking pictures. You'll see texture if you're not using potato gear.
>>
File: IMG_8950.jpg (789 KB, 1920x1280)
789 KB
789 KB JPG
>>4301100
I'm using an ND filter. an ND100000 filter. The ones you'd use on the beach or by a waterfall won't cut it.
~HOWEVER~ it's looking like a lot of places along the path of totality will be seeing cloud cover. If the clouds are mid-upper atmosphere, and not too thick, you might be able to shoot through them and get some decent results. I only had a basic ND filter when Venus transited across the Sun, but there was just enough cloud cover to get the shot. And, the clouds added to the picture, I think.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T1i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 12.4 (Windows)
Image Created2023:07:01 23:58:08
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/45.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/45.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_0016.jpg (935 KB, 1160x1160)
935 KB
935 KB JPG
Some clear sky today, so took some more practice shots.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 90D
Image Created2024:04:06 15:53:17
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4301767
>The Sun does indeed have texture.
the sun has solar granules, and your super telephoto doesnt have enough resolution to image it you retard. Your horrible photos are all from amplifying noise in post. Do you notice how absolutely no one posts RAWs when called out on it. Occasionally you'll see retards who say what their noise are super granules, but are too retarded to realize that is at a lower layer in the photosphere beneath the granules and that they arent imaging it either. So again nigger, post a raw file of your sun with texture.
>>
>>4301829
>Nophoto Guy
>>
>>4301836
>still not posting raws of muh textured sun
stay butthurt anon. btw i'm >>4299108
>>
File: IMG_0300.jpg (813 KB, 1183x1183)
813 KB
813 KB JPG
>>4301839
That wasn't me, but, sure. I'll play. Where are your solar pictures? Perhaps photography is more than gear? Not sure. Someone should test that.

Are you even going outside tomorrow?

Also, if it's impossible to capture texture, what are those lighter areas on the surface, around the sunspot at 10 o'clock? Camera dust?

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:04:07 13:58:39
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: SDO_HMIIF_1024.jpg (104 KB, 1024x1024)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>4302088
Well, gosh, look at that. Maybe it's camera dust there, too.
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html
>>
not a cloud in sight today. man I hope it stays like this. I think at worst ill get some clouds but with openings
>>
>>4300138
Last summer was crazy, I loved how the reflections on the water were red
>>
File: LatestKeyMessage_2.png (1.28 MB, 1600x1200)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
>>4302106
Nope. You will see nothing tomorrow.
>>
File: D85_7812.jpg (225 KB, 1792x1195)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
how long can I sit in live view before I need to be concerned about the sensor getting damaged? I'm stacking an ND1000 and another 8-stop ND (256?)

Camera ModelNIKON D850
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 (Windows)
Color Filter Array Pattern812
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)300 mm
Horizontal Resolution0 dpi
Vertical Resolution0 dpi
Image Created2024:04:07 15:30:12
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating31
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: IMG_0308-1.jpg (1.02 MB, 1176x1176)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>4302114
That's a little iffy- I might consider putting a hood over the lens between shots. I'm using an ND100000 that's designed for solar use. I'm not sure you have enough filter there.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:04:07 15:29:54
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4302116
you're shooting at 1/1000 and f/6.3 with that ND100000. I can just do 1/4000 f/16 with my setup to reduce the incoming light. I don't see what the benefit of ND100000 is over what I'm doing
>>
>>4302120
In live view, shutter speed is irrelevant. The sensor is exposed continually. Aperture matters, and if it's stopped down, it might be OK. Just saying there could be a risk. Regardless, don't use your viewfinder during any of this unless you're at totality. Burn out your sensor? Sucks. Burn out your retina? Yeah, don't risk it.
>>
>>4302110

came to post this, I'm not even trying and I'm in the part of 100 percent totality.

my current objective is to get the hell out of the totality area and get down the road before all the traffic gets crazy
>>
>>4302123
The best time to fuck off is half an hour before and during totality, while everyone is distratcted
>>
>>4302124

I'm going to be well into Illinois by the time that happens
>>
File: IMG_7262 copy.png (1.3 MB, 1024x768)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>4302120
>I don't see what the benefit of ND100000 is over what I'm doing
keep your aperture and shutter from melting. and if you dont have an actual solar filter then it probably doesnt block out IR/UV

>>4302088
>Are you even going outside tomorrow?
nigger i'm in a hotel in the suburbs of indianpolis. stop posting your terribly processed jpegs and start posting raws. lets see this texture and not your horribly amplified noise
>>
>>4302126
>Where are your solar pictures?
>>
>>4302126
>it probably doesnt block out IR/UV
sensors have IR filters. UV filter is not necessary
>>
>>4302129
>sensors have IR filters. UV filter is not necessary
did you read the post you sperg, your aperture doesn't

>>4302127
still no raws anon. https://catbox.moe if you're too retarded to find your own file sharing website
>>
>>4302114
>>4302120
The more I think about this, the more I don't like it. Unless you're ready and willing to destroy the camera, don't stack a couple NDs.

I know the appeal of taking the shots is huge. Believe me. But, it doesn't mean you're gonna walk away with nothing. From the very thin crescent before C2 to the thin crescent just after C3, you don't need a filter. If it were me, I'd settle on taking a bunch of shots in that range. The "diamond ring", the "Bailey Beads", catching the corona, why not work on that. Bracket your shots for exposure around +/-2 and take a lot of pictures. Those are the ones that are the real show-stoppers.
>>
umm
4chan
I know the comments are all works of fiction
but assuming I don't look through an OVF or anything to damage my eyes

is it safe to try photographing eclipse without solar filters?
just viewing (focusing) using LCD display

or will solar eclipse fry my CAMERA SENSOR ITSELF or something?
what if I keep lens cap on, and only take off for the ~1 minute or so?
>>
>>4302170
see: >>4302131
>From the very thin crescent before C2 to the thin crescent just after C3, you don't need a filter. If it were me, I'd settle on taking a bunch of shots in that range. The "diamond ring", the "Bailey Beads", catching the corona, why not work on that. Bracket your shots for exposure around +/-2 and take a lot of pictures. Those are the ones that are the real show-stoppers.
>>
File: 1665636722771517.jpg (162 KB, 746x1054)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>bought a6000 during pandemic, learned the basics
>live a few hours from totality
>bought geared head and solar filter for my 500mm reflex lens
>have been busy as fuck and didnt practice nor understand what im really supposed to be doing.

I googling it, but I guess im just fucking winging it tomorrow.
>>
>>4302176
Same advice I gave another anon. Use bracketed exposure, +/-2ev throughout the eclipse. Take your filter off JUST as totality is about to start and take pictures at varying shutter speeds.
As the eclipse starts, use ~1/1000 to 1/2000 and go slower and slower as you near totality...it's getting darker and darker. At totality, ~1/50 should be OK. Remember to take 3 shots using exposure bracketing. You want the shot you dialed in and a shot 2 stops faster and slower than that. This will increase your odds and you can stack them in Photoshop or something to get better shots of the corona. Good luck.
>>
>>4302110
There will be breaks in the clouds
>>
File: file.png (881 KB, 1200x960)
881 KB
881 KB PNG
I want to do something like this, how long apart should each picture be? like 5 minutes or something?
>>
>>4302191
Probably closer to 8 minutes. But, it never hurts to take more pictures.
>>
>>4302110
it can still change r-right bros
>>
File: file.png (758 KB, 1020x574)
758 KB
758 KB PNG
Hoping it will at least be something like this. Will still be cool, maybe even better since I don't have a solar lens
>>
I only have my shitty kit zoom 14-42mm and a circular polarizing filter, so at best I'm getting pictures of people gawking at the sun.
Then maybe bird watching while I wait for everyone to leave. I should've got some sort of telephoto but I only remembered to make preparations at the start of last week.
>>
>>4302176
bracketed exposures as other anons have mentioned. pic related is for me with a Z7 and 500 f/5.6. technically 1/10th as the minimum shutter speed is wrong as that is for static stars rather than the sun which moves faster. although it is kind of a moot point as im using an electronic shutter and my sensor readout speed is close enough at 1/15

>>4302191
lol no, that is a composite. exposures vary greatly. also with horrible editing making the corona orange, nad terrible chromatic abberations

>>4302196
considering it has almost all phases, more like 2.5 hours
>>
>>4302204
>>4302196
>considering it has almost all phases, more like 2.5 hours
nevermind, i'm retarded, didnt notice he said apart
>>
Im in Oregon, what time is this shit
>>
>>4302207
Youll need to be in Texas by 1:30pm tomorrow.
Its a 30 hour drive, so youll need to catch a plane
>>
>>4302208
Is that where its clear? Might be hard to book one if its busy
>>
>>4302126

>Indy

Stop by Robert's Photo while you're there. Great bunch of people it's like Adorama or B&H but without big noses. You can also local pickup their ebay sales there, found my Df and my Beseler Topcon there. It's off the 65 just past the 65/70 interchange.

They have a really cool used section with all kinds of neat shit, they have a mystery film bin full of expired film and a filter bin as well as a battery bin. I got a bag from them too as well as some expired BW400CN and two batteries. You owe it to yourself to visit.
>>
About to leave on my 10 hour drive, later guys
>>
>>4302212
>but without big noses
???
>>
>>4302223
B&H is so jewish you cant shop on shabbat
>>
>>4302220
Almost in Ohio, taking a break
>>
If I use the fastest shutter speed, can I get away with no filter on a telephoto or no?
>>
>>4302288
Your lens aperture and sensor will melt
>>
>>4302288
You can get away without filter during totality (use whatever speed you need to get the proper exposure). When significant portion of sun is visible, your lens iris assembly and camera shutter will likely get permanently damaged..
>>
>>4302293
>>4302289
Shit, okay.
>>
>>4302288
If by telephoto you mean 80-100mm, you'll probably be fine. Much more than that is not advisable.
>>
File: eclipseday.jpg (57 KB, 1312x304)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Hahahahahaha... oh well, I'll still be out there. Just in case there's a small clear patch during any of it.
>>
this shit just looks like a cloud above lmao
>>
>>4302114
a>>4302088
pic related nigger. still waiting on your raws
>>
File: AUT_1942.jpg (55 KB, 640x480)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
here's one of my best kino contributions, this taken by a canon ZR25MC. I climbed onto the roof for this one and made mommy mad. but it was worth it. enjoy. :-)

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon DV 011
Image Created2001:01:01 00:00:00
Light SourceUnknown
Image Width640
Image Height480
>>
>>4302418
Based anon staring at the sun. It got completely cloudy where I'm at (98% totality) so I couldn't even see the shadow or the pinhole camera effect from leaves, and looking at the map I'm pretty sure the people who drove west to be in the path of 100% got clouded out too so they got the darkness but not the ring. Don't feel too bad about missing it, ate a sandwich and watched the robins instead.
>>
File: AUT_1936.jpg (68 KB, 640x480)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>4302426
I did see the full thing, and I could see people shooting fireworks way off in the distance. along with the skyline and all the nearby town building lights. I also could see all the nearby neighbors in their backyards. here's a more conventional image too.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon DV 011
Image Created2001:01:01 00:00:00
Light SourceUnknown
Image Width640
Image Height480
>>
>>4302431
Oh, yeah, the rest of the country was clear, but here in the Northeast I think a lot of people had already resigned themselves to it being cloudy. Still, I'm not yet old and ugly enough that I'll never have the chance again, I guess.
> people shooting fireworks way off in the distance
>whole point is everything going dark and seeing the bright ring and black dot
>light off fireworks to blow everything out and fuck up people's night vision
absolute animals
>>
Got a great shot with Venus in the corner of the frame, still downloading tho
>>
File: DSCN2476.jpg (3.01 MB, 4608x3456)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
Got some nice pictures, although the focus on the P900 is a pain to work with.

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX P900
Camera SoftwareCOOLPIX P900 V1.5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)1600 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 14:08:51
Exposure Time1/8 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
Focal Length285.00 mm
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Gain ControlHigh Gain Down
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
ISO Speed Used100
Color ModeCOLOR
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceSUNNY
Focus ModeMANUAL
ISO SelectionMANUAL
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Auto FocusCenter
Noise ReductionOFF
>>
File: DSCN2493.jpg (2.94 MB, 4608x3456)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>4302453
And here's one with the sun coming back out.

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX P900
Camera SoftwareCOOLPIX P900 V1.5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)850 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 14:10:21
Exposure Time1/8 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
Focal Length152.00 mm
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Gain ControlHigh Gain Down
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
ISO Speed Used100
Color ModeCOLOR
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceSUNNY
Focus ModeMANUAL
ISO SelectionMANUAL
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Auto FocusCenter
Noise ReductionOFF
>>
File: Eclibse.jpg (275 KB, 1284x1713)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
Nothing great ... phone pic through a welding lens.

Camera SoftwareAndroid SP1A.210812.016.G973WVLS8IWD1
Image Width1440
Image Height3040
Image Created2024:04:08 15:58:28
Light SourceUnknown
>>
File: 1137-7468.jpg (61 KB, 551x558)
61 KB
61 KB JPG

Camera ModelNIKON D800
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 (Windows)
Photographerphot0synthesis
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Color Filter Array Pattern872
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)200 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 15:46:03
Exposure Time1/8000 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length200.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4302426
visibility was great in indianapolis
>>
File: 1708092819195051.jpg (486 KB, 3840x2160)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
No total eclipse, and I couldn't even get my jank filter to work. The bokeh from the foil over the cut up eclipse glasses made everything blurry.
>>
File: DSC01988.jpg (1.46 MB, 1638x2048)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
Clouds cleared up literally as we reached totality, was pretty kino

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.2 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)525 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 14:20:00
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Brightness1.7 EV
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceDay White Fluorescent
Focal Length350.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4299107
Did anyone get a picture of Jupiter? Was the comet visible?
>>
File: TI002142.jpg (3.9 MB, 4800x3200)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
Wanted to do a quick snap with the GR3 but the ring of fire was still too bright unfortunately. At least it looked cool in person

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelRICOH GR III
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 16:26:42
Exposure Time1/13 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Focal Length18.30 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastSoft
SaturationHigh
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>4302475
The sun is easily the brightest thing most people will ever see. You need very powerful filters, even more powerful than welding goggles.
I needed to use a filter AND foil with a hole punched through. And even then I had to go all the way up to f18 (highest my long lens does), ISO 100, and 1/4000th shutter.
The sun is absurdly powerful.
>>
>>4302466
beautiful, only got 60% in fl.

Equipment MakeGoogle
Camera ModelPixel 6 Pro
Camera SoftwareHDR+ 1.0.611900660zd
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.9
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 15:03:40
Exposure Time5023/200000 sec
F-Numberf/1.9
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/1.9
Brightness3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Focal Length6.81 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3072
Image Height4080
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>4302476
You can look at the sun directly, with a number 8 welding lens... i used to do it all the time when I worked in the field.
>>
i love watching people destroy their phone camera sensor in real time on social media gives me good giggles
>>
>>4302483
You need number 14 welding lens to block the UV and infrared from hurting your eyes. Probably won't hurt your sensor though.
>>
>>4302438
>fireworks
The NPC meme isn't really a meme.
>>
>>4302487
Dude I'm a welder. And I have never had welders flash ever even when I burned wire 9+ hours a day with number 8. Welding arcs have harsher and stronger UV rays than the sun.
>>
File: 1682713675963316.jpg (50 KB, 1053x1053)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>4302492
The sun is pumping more energy per square mm into your face than any weld flash.
Even NASA suggests number 14+.
>For safe direct viewing of the Sun, #14 welder's glass can be used, or a proprietary material known as
>Solar Skreen (Roger W. Tuthill, Inc., 11 Tanglewood Lane, Mountainside, NJ 07092). Although some
>telescopes are equipped with Sun filters, many of these are not reliable, and should not be used unless
>you are absolutely sure of what you are doing. The only reliable filters are some (but not all) which fit
>over the front of the telescope, and reflect away
https://www.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/total_solar_eclipse_21_august_2017_safety_english.pdf

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelEOS REBEL T3i
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.36
Image Created2024:04:08 16:01:11
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length300.00 mm
>>
>>4302495
NASA and all those other agencies are just going with overkill, a number 14 is the highest standard for welding lenses. My auto darkening helmet doesn't even go that high anyway.

Welding arcs flashing off brightly painted walls can even cause welding flash the sun only affects your eyes when you directly look at it.

Furthermore, welding flash usually happens at an angle, because the rays hit from the side and bounce around the inside of your eye ball and "sunburn" the inside of your eyes.
>>
File: DSC_9215.jpg (1.37 MB, 8256x5504)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>4302088
here you go fagit. still waiting for the other 23795 images to finish importing in to Lightroom

Camera ModelNIKON Z 7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.1 (Macintosh)
Color Filter Array Pattern864
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)500 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 17:46:38
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length500.00 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: IMG_2758.jpg (3.22 MB, 6000x4000)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
OP here
My only good shots
1/2

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Image Created2024:04:08 13:34:46
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length300.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: IMG_2773.jpg (3.76 MB, 6000x4000)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
>>4302517
2/2
>>4302469
Not sure if the speck was Venus or the Jupiter/Mars jumble.

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)105 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 13:43:49
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length70.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: IMG_0537.jpg (860 KB, 1920x1280)
860 KB
860 KB JPG
Total cloud cover the entire time. Of course, it's sunny and clear now. Didn't stop me from taking what shots I could when anything was visible.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:04:08 17:14:47
Exposure Time1/8000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4302456
>welcome to fart hell
>>
File: IMG_0978.jpg (570 KB, 1280x1920)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
>>4302520
Missed totality entirely.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:04:08 16:42:48
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_0596.jpg (804 KB, 1280x1920)
804 KB
804 KB JPG
>>4302522

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:04:08 16:10:07
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4302476
Man, that kind of puts into perspective how heavy the wildfire smoke was last year to see the sun comfortably with the naked eye, and how bright it is to still be able to shine through at all.
>>
File: IMG_1012.jpg (554 KB, 1207x1810)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
>>4302524

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:04:08 16:45:52
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4302495

I stacked an ND1000 and two ND8s with a UV filter and if I stopped down to f/16 with DoF preview I could look right at it.
>>
>>4302518
After checking Stallarium, definitely Venus.
>>
God damn drove somewhere to watch it and it was cloudy, ended up being sunny from where I started. oh well, glorified sunset
>>
File: DSC07013.jpg (3.13 MB, 4435x2957)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6400
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 12.5 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)525 mm
Horizontal Resolution238 dpi
Vertical Resolution238 dpi
Image Created2024:04:08 15:25:31
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Brightness-0.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length350.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4302529
Enjoy your IR-induced retinal damage.
>>
Got a script running to compile the images. This shit is going to blow your mind /p/, I spent the last few years getting ready for this
>>
>>4302545
Get over your amateur setup, faggot. Boomers with actual telescopes and Registax are doing greater things on forums that are older than you, and without all of the ego.
>>
>>4302550
Ok ill keep them to myself then idiot
>>
>>4302552
maybe just fucking calm your tits from now on
>>
>>4302552
I still wanna see them, anon. I like seeing everyone's photos here even though it's mostly the same event
>>
>>4302552
nobody cares faggot. fuck off.
>>
File: 1685718885513691.jpg (100 KB, 1600x1067)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>4299539
None of those photos are viable. The sun is just far too small in frame. The only way you could get photos like that are composite shots or just outright digital manipulation.
Not to mention the ungodly dynamic range you'd need.
>>
File: ecl 001.jpg (480 KB, 2080x1040)
480 KB
480 KB JPG
Shitty cellphone in Errol, New Hampshire.

Equipment MakeLG Electronics
Camera ModelLML713DL
Image Created2024:04:08 15:29:28
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating750
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length3.70 mm
Image Width4160
Image Height2080
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Altitude0.00 m
>>
File: 1122.jpg (54 KB, 1000x667)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
I just kicked back and observed it, didn't really care to do much imaging. Ended up taking a couple of cellphone pics though.

>>
File: Untitled.jpg (20 KB, 468x528)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>4302570
My Dad and I went and saw it. He took this one.
>>
File: Clipse1851-163.jpg (291 KB, 796x1500)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
Phone cameraed
Dont care if i ruined it

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-S901W
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Express (Android)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)23 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 21:15:25
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length5.40 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Digital Zoom Ratio1.3
>>
Most incredible thing ive ever seen in my life. I still have a smile on my face!
>>
File: IMG_5801.jpg (301 KB, 2048x1362)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
Nikon D50, Nikon 70-300mm lens

Image Width2048
Image Height1362
>>
File: IMG_5802.jpg (245 KB, 2048x1362)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>4302594

2/4

Image Width2048
Image Height1362
>>
File: IMG_5803.jpg (178 KB, 2048x1362)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>4302595

3/4

Image Width2048
Image Height1362
>>
File: IMG_5804.jpg (374 KB, 2048x1362)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>4302596

4/4

Image Width2048
Image Height1362
>>
File: IMG_0576-Enhanced-NR.jpg (908 KB, 1920x1280)
908 KB
908 KB JPG
Last cloudy pic from a disappointing day.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:04:08 20:55:23
Exposure Time1/8000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
Today was life changing. Ive never seen anything like that on my 36 years on earth
>>
>>4302599
>doing it right
Good on you, anon.
>>
>>4302540
best so far, looks great.
>>4302550
pls go back to swallowing your mums penis. you are the reason this board generally sucks. the only value you provide is to your dear old mum's penis.
>>4302552
pls post. Probably going to be the only decent thread this month.
>>4302596
very nice
>>
File: DSC_2457_low.jpg (445 KB, 1600x1060)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
best I could get, 300MM crop sensor D7000

i have no idea why the grain made a grid pattern like that

Camera ModelNIKON D7000
PhotographerAJM
Image Created2024:04:08 20:33:08
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4302605
The fabric of spacetime
>>
File: _DSC2867.jpg (499 KB, 2476x2476)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
Hastily processed since I've been up for over a day and drove for over 14 hours, I'm tired. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

>>4302599
it was absolutely surreal. I couldn't believe how the horizon looked all orange and sunset-like 360 degrees around all at once.

Camera ModelNIKON D850
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee 5.9
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)480 mm
Image Width2476
Image Height2476
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2024:04:08 14:49:07
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias-2 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length480.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4300321
>It's pretty much only appropriate for solar photography. Nothing else that you'll be looking at needs THAT much attenuation.
What if I want an hour long exposure at ISO 50 and f/32?
>>
All my pictures were out of focus because I got too excited and started dancing.
>>
>>4302624
I need a huge viewfinder. I was only able to see how out of focus mine was when it got really dark.
>>
>>4302663
tether the camera to a laptop like >>4299108
and it becomes a lot easier
>>
File: DSC_4018.jpg (563 KB, 1500x1500)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
>>4302522
i like this one
>>4302584
i live very close to you

i screwed this one up pretty badly

Camera ModelNIKON D90
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.0 (Windows)
Color Filter Array Pattern776
Image Created2024:04:09 12:02:50
Exposure Time1.5 sec
F-Numberf/45.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/45.0
Exposure Bias-1.5 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSC_4025.jpg (763 KB, 1500x960)
763 KB
763 KB JPG

Camera ModelNIKON D90
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.8
Color Filter Array Pattern776
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)315 mm
Image Created2024:04:09 12:05:06
Exposure Time1/350 sec
F-Numberf/4.8
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/4.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length210.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: B0034873.jpg (3.38 MB, 6917x5550)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>4302624
I blame wearing a kigurumi mask while taking this, and the 2x teleconverter on an already painful to focus lens but happy enough. Will process it better at some point

Equipment MakeHasselblad
Camera ModelHasselblad X2D 100C
Maximum Lens Aperturef/7.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)197 mm
Pixel CompositionRGB
Exposure Time3 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Subject DistanceInfinity
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length250.00 mm
Image Width6917
Image Height5550
>>
>>4302727
You did screw up, and it's not something you can exactly show to your grandchildren in the future when they ask about the eclipse
But that being said, it's an interesting photo
>>
File: DSC_2446_low.jpg (318 KB, 1600x1060)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
right before the eclipse the lighting got a little surreal

Some guy proposed to his girlfriend during Totality lol

Camera ModelNIKON D7000
PhotographerAJM
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)300 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 20:43:07
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length200.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4302605
Those are artifacts caused by resampling the image, you get them from digital lens corrections and resizing images.
You can avoid them when resizing by sticking to integer scaling but they are unavoidable when scaling my random values.

By this I mean if your target final res is going to be 1600x1060, you need to crop the image down to be double, triple, or quadruple that so that you can downsize safely.

1600x1060 downsized from 3200x2120 (1/2) = good, won't have resampling artifacts
1600x1060 downsized from 4000x2650 (1/2.5x) = bad, will have resampling artifacts

Any lens corrections outside of vignetting will cause resampling artifacts.
They won't always be as visible as they are in your image, but any image ever that has ever had lens corrections applied or has been resampled will always have these artifacts in it, and they can't ever be removed.
The solution is to avoid generating them (in post-processing) entirely. Don't create them, and they won't exist or be a problem.

If you shot RAW (you should have) you can simply re-process your image with lens corrections turned off and scale it appropriately. This warped grid pattern will vanish 100%.
>>
File: test2.png (575 KB, 1920x1080)
575 KB
575 KB PNG
Composite of my shots of the end of totality
>>
File: DSC_2457_low_2.jpg (2.91 MB, 4188x2774)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>4302786
Ah that was it. Thank you. Yep turning off lens correction (which doesnt even matter on a photo like this) fixed it

Camera ModelNIKON D7000
PhotographerAJM
Image Created2024:04:09 15:41:53
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4302818
Good to see you didn't get cucked by shooting JPEG.
It's not a bad shot, obviously nothing comparable to what rich space observing people get but it's neat having taken your own shot.
Back up the RAWs well and take a poke at re-processing them every once in a while, you can improve on this with mapping out hot pixels and different demosaicing options and stuff, the more you learn you can fiddle with this one in a lifetime photo.
>>
File: file.png (1.42 MB, 1803x1182)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>4302822
The lack of focus in the dead center bothers me, but i think thats as good as my lens can do. its a 55-300 DX lens at full zoom with 3200 ISO which was probably overkill

I have about 3 dozen images from yesteday, most are just people watching like >>4302754
and the rest are various stages of eclipse
>>
>>4302818
>exposure mode manual
>f/16
>iso 3200
do you understand how to use your camera or what hyperfocal distance is?
>>
File: DSC_2433_low_1.jpg (469 KB, 2896x1918)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
>>4302827
Before the totality, I was only getting around 1/100 with 3200 iso, I didnt adjust the iso like I shouldve

Camera ModelNIKON D7000
PhotographerAJM
Image Created2024:04:09 16:14:53
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4302833
its not just adjusting the iso, you should have also been shooting wide open at f/5.6. this would have allowed iso 400. also at f/16 you were suffering from diffraction.
>>
File: 52922198936_f190b1c67e_o.jpg (451 KB, 1565x1037)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>4302582
>height of land, maine
Did you take any of the landscape while you were there?

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 12.0.1 (Windows)
Image Created2023:05:24 06:23:32
>>
>>4302591
>>4302599
Same
I had to travel to see it but I have a house in paradise and I looked up when one would happen there and Ill be in my 90s
Its given me a reason to live that long
>>
File: IMG_5918.jpg (101 KB, 828x714)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>4302621

The solar flares are sick on this one

Here’s mine

Horizontal Resolution144 dpi
Vertical Resolution144 dpi
Image Width828
Image Height714
>>
>>4299539
Yeah shit like>>4302584 is so much more interesting than all the fuzzy black circles desu
>>
>>4302727
except the shakiness, this is the only photo that i've seen that has come even close to what that prominence looked like to the human eye. the color was astonishing
>>
File: DSC_0732.jpg (1.26 MB, 2126x1681)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Just an ND filter and stopping down to f8-16

1/3

Camera ModelNIKON Z 6
Color Filter Array Pattern790
Horizontal Resolution94 dpcm
Vertical Resolution94 dpcm
Image Created2024:04:08 12:34:19
Exposure Time1/200 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypePortrait
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4302952
2/3 upped exposure (my ND filter only fot the 50)

Camera ModelNIKON Z 6
Compression SchemeJPEG Compression (Thumbnail)
Image Width6048
Image Height4024
Image OrientationUnknown
Image Created2024:04:08 18:16:51
Exposure ProgramManual
White BalanceAuto
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure Time1/200 sec
FlashNo Flash
ISO Speed Rating100
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
Metering ModePattern
Gain ControlNone
Light SourceUnknown
>>
>>4302953
3/3 HDR was interesting (cropped)

Camera ModelNIKON Z 6
Compression SchemeJPEG Compression (Thumbnail)
Image Width3584
Image Height2615
Image OrientationUnknown
Image Created2024:04:08 18:02:13
Exposure ProgramManual
White BalanceAuto
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure Time1/200 sec
FlashNo Flash
ISO Speed Rating100
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
Metering ModePattern
Gain ControlNone
Light SourceUnknown
>>
>>4302498
>the sun only affects your eyes when you directly look at it.
that is complete horseshit brother
it's common for people new to snowsports to burn out their eyes on sunny days if they don't wear proper eye protection because the sun's reflection off the snow is powerful enough to cause damage
>>
>>4302727
i honestly love this photo
the experience was absolutely spiritual in-person, and this reminds me of that feeling
>>
I'm nooticing that the moon is not visible before or after the eclipse.
>>
File: P1010792.jpg (2.2 MB, 4000x3000)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
I set up my camera 30 minutes prior to totality and only aimed it up when it was safe because I didn't have a filter for it.
>Camera didn't remember my custom settings or reverted them because there was no obvious way to save them
>I had set focus without zoom, then remembered to zoom in, on a kit photo lens
And that's how you take blurry noisy pictures of an eclipse at 800 iso at 42mm

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GF5
Camera SoftwareVer.1.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)84 mm
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2024:04:08 15:09:29
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Light SourceFine Weather
Focal Length42.00 mm
Image Width4000
Image Height3000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Image QualityFine
White BalanceDaylight
Focus ModeManual
Spot ModeUnknown
Image StabilizerOff
Macro ModeNormal
Shooting ModeManual
AudioNo
Flash Bias0.00 EV
Color EffectOff
ContrastHigh
Noise ReductionStandard
>>
File: 36380171020_f2520f6d79_k.jpg (58 KB, 2048x1536)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>4303113
I pointed my 2008 Kodak EasyShare Z1015IS superzoom bridge camera directly at the sun at max zoom with no filter and shot in full auto

>>
File: _DSC5105.jpg (670 KB, 1565x1956)
670 KB
670 KB JPG

Camera ModelNIKON Z 6_2
Camera SoftwareNIKON Z 6_2 Ver.01.50
Color Filter Array Pattern866
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)400 mm
Image Created2024:04:08 16:20:54
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: IMG_0769.jpg (1.72 MB, 3031x3789)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>4303155

Camera ModelNIKON Z 6_2
Camera SoftwareNIKON Z 6_2 Ver.01.50
Image Created2024:04:08 16:16:49
Exposure Time1/3200 sec
F-Numberf/5.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length350.00 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: Eclipse.jpg (132 KB, 1000x1500)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Nice photos lads. The clouds parted just in time for the total eclipse where I was. Very glad I made the hour drive to catch it

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6100
Camera SoftwareCapture One 20 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Exposure Time1/500 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Brightness3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Image Width2667
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: Eclipse_1.jpg (424 KB, 1000x1500)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
>>4303187

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6100
Camera SoftwareCapture One 20 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Exposure Time1/250 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating6400
Brightness-7.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Image Width2667
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4303053
yeah too close to the sun. too bright to be seen
>>
File: file.png (135 KB, 240x240)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>all these cool pictures, people saying it was a life changing experience
>I just got clouds, not enough time to travel somewhere different
>never again getting this chance unless I travel but im not rich enough for that
>>
>>4303193
>not enough time to travel somewhere different
We know the time and location of eclipses literally centuries in advance.
We had another big one in 2017.
You could have planned for this.
>>
>>4303193
I know the feeling, buddy.
>>
>>4303188
If you could brighten up the foreground a bit I think it'd look a lot cooler
>>
>>4303212
You just sound like a total nigger.
What part of "unless I travel but im not rich enough for that" don't you understand?
Some people are too poor to travel, he can't move the clouds, he got screwed and even if he did travel he could have still gotten screwed by clouds at the place he went to.

No, he couldn't have planned for this.
The clouds were unpredictable and most people can't travel on such short notice (days, a weather forecast, if it even works) so yeah.
Many people had his experience.
Even some travel fags got the cloud cuck.
>>
>>4303332
>No, he couldn't have planned for this.
>The clouds were unpredictable and most people can't travel on such short notice (days, a weather forecast, if it even works) so yeah.
nigger i got my hotel a year in advance
>>
>>4303381
>nigger i got my hotel a year in advance
Then you're retarded.
Why would you get a hotel a year in advance for an event that is entirely dependent on local weather? Did you consult the Farmer's Almanac or some shit? Ask a psychic if it would be cloudy that day?
When I went to the 2017 eclipse I drove 800 miles to the part of the path of totality with the best forecast for the week and the day before I drove another 60 miles to where the next day was forecast to be be best. I stayed in whatever cheap shitty roadside motel I could find and brought a pillow and blanket to stay in my car if needed. I very specifically avoided heavily populated areas.
This sort of planning should be obvious to anyone with a room temperature IQ.
>>
>>4303332
>Some people are too poor to travel
Nigger greyhound goes everywhere
>>
File: 2024-04-11 12_44_45-.jpg (458 KB, 3840x2160)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
>>4303444
>Then you're retarded.
>because you got a hotel room for cheap
>and managed to get your shots too
stay butthurt anon

>When I went to the 2017 eclipse I drove 800 miles
no one cares. i drove from chicago downstate and stayed in a hotel which was reserved many months in advance too. didnt have an issue then either.

> I stayed in whatever cheap shitty roadside motel I could find and brought a pillow and blanket to stay in my car if needed.
so if i'm to understand this correctly, you think you're better than me because you were planning on being homeless and are upset i got a decent hotel?

Camera SoftwareGreenshot
>>
>>4302916
Just imagine how big those flames must be if you can actually SEE them all the way from Earth
>>
The coolest part of the eclipse was how noticeably cooler it got when the sun turned off
>>
>>4303459
>so if i'm to understand this correctly, you think you're better than me because you were planning on being homeless
I wasn't the one crying about the weather.
I'm better than you because I can handle 1 or 2 days of mildly uncomfortable sleeping conditions by having the foresight to realize weather exists.
>>
File: IMG_52312.jpg (1.08 MB, 2048x1536)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>4303512
>I'm better than you because I can handle 1 or 2 days of mildly uncomfortable sleeping conditions
you sound poor, and are trying to justify being so

>I wasn't the one crying about the weather.
you absolutely are when you say things like:

>by having the foresight to realize weather exists.
and the weather was fine for me, pic related

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 13 Pro
Camera Software17.3.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image Created2024:04:08 15:40:46
Exposure Time1/1901 sec
F-Numberf/1.5
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/1.5
Brightness8.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length5.70 mm
Image Width2048
Image Height1536
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
so okay eclipses are very cool and mostly, unique, but wouldnt an h-alpha 0,7A telescope be even more awesome and you can use it any non cloudy day ?
>>
>>4303515
that must be one high trust society
>>
File: 20240411_180257.jpg (103 KB, 1080x707)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>4303515
>>4303515
>and the weather was fine for me
Then why did you even post this
> you sound poor
Aren't you the same nigger saying not everyone can travel because they're poor.
>>
>>4303558
>Aren't you the same nigger saying not everyone can travel because they're poor.
i only called you poor

>Then why did you even post this
to show that i planed in advance
>>
File: 1000005581-01.jpg (280 KB, 1664x1658)
280 KB
280 KB JPG

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS RP
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Image Created2024:04:08 22:40:00
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length400.00 mm
Image Width1664
Image Height1658
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>4303560
>to show that i planed in advance
And planning that firmly in advance for a weather-dependent event is still retarded even if you were lucky. What if the nearest clear skies were 100 milss or more from the hotel?
>>
>>4303598
He'd have a nice vacation for cheap
Why are you so mad?
>>
File: DSC-1103 (1).jpg (4.8 MB, 4912x7360)
4.8 MB
4.8 MB JPG
From Lancaster, PA. Nikon D800 and 80-200mm F/2.8 D

Image Created2024:04:08 16:20:29
>>
>>4303599
pretty sure he is mad because he waited till the last minute to go somewhere and still cucked by clouds.

>>4303598
nigger, as you can see in my picture i have a 11 month old, i'm not driving hundreds of miles out of my way at the last minute with a baby screaming in my backseat for hours because some faggy weatherman told me to. also you clearly dont regularly look at weather reports if you think they're ever accurate. the entire two weeks ahead of the eclipse it was said indianapolis was going to have either mostly cloudy or rain as the weather on monday. the skys were clear the entire time. the only time i even had rain was for like an hour on tuesday when i went to the zoo.

anyways where even are your eclipse pics itt?
>>
File: eclipse_gimp.jpg (2.02 MB, 5194x3908)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
just wanted to brag about my eclipse pic after seeing all of yours.

>is it post processed
yes
>is it overexposed
yes
>is it still better than the others here
yes sir

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.