[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

My camera has been sitting in the corner for like for ever and I've finally decided to get into photography. However I don't know where to start: do you have any book or youtube channel to recommend in order to learn the basics? I would like to do mostly model like shootings
>>
File: Understanding_exposure.png (347 KB, 400x492)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
Nta but is this a good book? I'm looking for tips myself and they say this might be useful
>>
>>4303067
Bump. I’d also hit the Stupid Questions General thread with this query.
>>
>>4303118
Bump and also what the anon said, try posting it there
>>
>>4303067
The only way to learn to use a camera is to use a camera

It's not film anymore. You don't have to do calculations to avoid wasting $20 on 36 shit pictures. And historically, most well practiced photographers were rich privileged kids who could afford an inflation adjusted several mil in film over their career.
>>
The Art of Photography by Bruce Barnbaum pretty much contained everything that was in my high school photography class (aside from assignments) so I'd say that's a pretty good starting point. I think the book is more film based though, but that's fine because pretty much everything translates to digital.
This guy also shares really good info about ISO https://youtu.be/sOdlDyolhr0?si=VC39zecWmT8Yc4d5
I basically just ignored ISO (and shot at 400 or less like most film) or adjusted it not to have grain until I watched this video (and honestly I still do, but I don't shoot pictures the way he does)
>>
But also don't let technical shit stop you from just taking pictures. I think it's more practical to just have a practice time to shoot pictures then search "why does my photo look faded/whatever" and then try to re-shoot a picture.with the problem
>>
>>4303150
This. Just play with the settings, shooting the same scene to watch it change, you do not need to read shit and most photographers are schizoid midwits so reading shit might confuse you

Proper education was for film, especially film with flash, and yes even then the best photographers learned by experimenting.
>>
>>4303409
>picture.with the problem
picture without the problem
>>
>>4303067
Have you already read and understood the owners' manual of your camera? Those tend to include basics and how to deal with it using that camera.
>>
>>4303079
That's probably the best book out there for learning photography. Read it, go out and take lots of pictures, then read it again.
>>
>>4303067
>book to learn the basics

people on this board will literally do anything but go outside and take photos

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.