[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l1200.jpg (129 KB, 1200x794)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
Hi im working at a summer camp this summer and want to buy a new camera for it is the om system tough tg-7 a good choice In your opinion?
>>
It's a waterproof camera but the quality is like an android phone (so slightly better than apple)
>>
No reason to buy a new one of these when they are only marginally better than the ones from a few years ago, the ones from a few years ago depreciating like milk. Use that to your advantage and buy a noticeably cheaper used one off of MPB or whatever. Save your pennies.
>>
>>4303153
It's the best/only real option in its class. You can drop it on rocks (advertising says it can be crushed under 100kg of pressure) unlike a phone and it does much better macro, take photos underwater (not just splash proof like other cameras). IQ isn't great and it doesn't have manual controls annoyingly. If you want kids to play with the thing or if you just want to not worry about damage it's a great choice though. Tg-6 and tg-7 are nearly the same, but it's a cheap camera either way. There's also accessories (some people like the diffuser I think?) but they're not essential. You can get proper underwater housing for diving too way cheaper than other cameras. It also has gps tagging like a phone in case you want to document something you found.
>>
>>4303153

They're pretty good. An older version of this, TG-4 is what I upgraded from when I went to a dedicated underwater Ikelite housing. You will definitely like it. The newer model has a better sensor and handles higher ISOs pretty well for a compact. Well worth the money.

>>4303159

Not the single digit TG's. I had an 870 and you are right, but the IQ was atrocious, though I loved the flippy screen which made composition easy underwater.

These have much better sensors in them but no flippy screen. The lenses are much better and faster too I believe this has an f1.8 or f2 lens on it. I almost bought one until a great deal on an Ikelite setup fell in my lap for my D800
>>
File: IMG_20240411_003109.jpg (156 KB, 719x405)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
4chan seems to have eaten my post, so sorry if it posts twice
Yes. Takes great macro photos and is good for outdoor rough and tumble use. Here's a hoverfly I found earlier today. It can get much closer detail than this if your subject cooperates and lets you shove the camera right up to it. This photo isn't indicative of the quality because I had to screenshot it due to embedded file error

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width720
Image Height1640
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2024:04:11 00:30:59
Light SourceUnknown
Time (UTC)05:30:59
Date (UTC)2024:04:11
>>
File: 1600_s.jpg (114 KB, 1200x900)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>4303153
It's BIS tough available. I myself only have ancient AW-100 which has not aged well (it's objectively digishit now) but it still can go where my dslr simply can't. A 2nd hand dslr/mirrorless kit would be better for getting into 'serious' photography, but a tough is ideal for having fun snapping at summer camp and a good 2nd cameratoo for anyone, hobbyist or pro.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX AW100
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.12
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.9
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)33 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2024:04:11 08:55:49
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/3.9
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating125
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFlash
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length5.90 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Down
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeMacro
Altitude0.00 m
Time (UTC)
Color ModeCOLOR
Focus ModeAF-S
ISO SelectionMANUAL
ISO Speed Used125
Image AdjustmentAUTO
Noise ReductionOFF
Image QualityFINE
SaturationNormal
Image SharpeningAUTO
White BalanceFLASH
Auto FocusCenter
>>
>>4303153
this camera is actually pretty crap
the lens is the worst part of it and you'll never get crisp quality photos out of it

it is basically e-waste shit in a rugged protective body that makes it usable for rough conditions
if you need rugged camera, whatever, it's fine
if you need quality photos, you're sacrificing those for the ruggedness

choose wisely
you can't have both for this price
>>
>>4303153
Nope. I would recommend a cambo wide, graflex slxw, sinar handy, or if you're feeling fiesty a linhof master technika with a cammed rodenstock 105mm. Any one should be perfect for your use case.
>>
>>4303153
1/2.3" is small and noisy.
Lumix GX8 is cheaper and weather-sealed with dust and splash proof when paired with appropiate lenses and gives you more than decent quality photos
https://www.m43lenses.com/
>>
>>4305995
Not one singe “weather sealed” camera, even pentax and nikon, comes close to the olympus tough

ALL weather sealing allows some water to enter. It just means your camera dies in years, not hours.
>>
just use your phone
>>
>>4303153
i'll let you in on a secret anon
sony rx0

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.