[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Sony_logos.jpg (8 KB, 300x200)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Hello /p/

I come to you with a dilemma. A few months ago, my house was broken into by some urban youths and my dry cabinet with my Canon 5DMIV and L Lenses was stolen. Police did their thing, and my home insurance paid me out the total replacement value for my goods.

I figured now would be a good time to go mirrorless since I'm sitting on a good chunk of money and can afford to get a mid tier body and a trio of good lenses. My first instinct was to go back to Canon with the R6MKII or R5 and the 2.8 zooms but holy fuck are they about 30% more expensive than their DSLR and EF counterparts. I'd actually have to add some more out of my savings just to get the shit I want.

This obviously had me looking at Snoy. All the memes and influencer bait aside, it seems like they actually make pretty decent cameras and native lenses- as well as allowing Sigma and other manufacturers access to their AF mount. I can rebuild my kit and even have some left over to put towards a video oriented camera like the ZV-E1.

That's gotten me really interested since I've been shooting a lot more video lately. My dad has early stages of Alzheimer's so I've secretly been making vids of our family life, trips we take, places we go to eat, even when I visit him to walk our dog- just so he has something he can hopefully watch one day if things get worse. So having something that really can take stills and shoot great video with the same lenses is really attractive to me.

So please /p/, help a brother out. I don't spend too much time online since I'm mostly an analog shooter and used digital for weddings/engagement for some extra $$$. I don't know if Sony has fixed people's complaints regarding build quality, shit menus, or CoLOr ScIEnCE that people like to say are big reasons to avoid them.

I've been trying to do my research but everyone on YouTube is a shill and I can only check Ken Rockwell's site too many times without supporting his growing famaily.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2016:03:08 21:43:47
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
>>
buy an ad, sony
>>
>>4304139
I've worked in a camera shop for years, and currently have an A7r2 as my personal "good" camera. I am also mainly a film shooter.
I don't shoot any video though.
I will say that any new, higher end full frame camera will feel like you've got superpowers compared to the 5Dinosaur. Awesome image quality is easy to get with all of them, so on that front you won't be disappointed.
>but
The Sony cameras aren't as nice to use at Canon or Nikons for actual photography.
Heaps of dumb menus to sift through, dials aren't placed ergonomically, arbitrary restrictions on when you can use touch controls, laggy interface. You just find yourself having to jump through hoops to do shit that's easy on the good cameras.
They also aren't as well built.
I would probably advise you to pick Nikon or Canon, and not buy the current flagships just now, as they're all pretty late in their product cycle.
Buy a basic, used body, like an Eos R or a Z6i, and stock up on the primo lenses you want, and then save to buy an R5ii or z7iii when they come out.
>>
The menus are complex and not laid out all the logically, if you're just picking up the camera for the first time and trying to find stuff then it will be frustrating. However if it's your camera and you take the time to customise it how you want then it works very well and you'll rarely find yourself having to dive into the main menu to adjust things.

You have a customisable quick menu that is one button press to access and gives you twelve aspects you can adjust, and then you can set almost any button and dial to do nearly anything you want and there are a lot of buttons available. And then there are usually 2 or 3 (depending on the particular body) custom spaces on the mode dial so you can switch to those and automatically have all your settings change for a particular scenario.
>>
>>4304139
Bro, let's be honest, all these problems of choice exists exclusively in the internet. I did upgrade my camera from Nikon dslr to snoy recently, and I finished my RESEARCH almost immediately, there are no truth in the internet, just tons of garbage and some fucking expert's opinions, more garbage, mems and all this shit. Just go and by what the hell are you want. It doesn't matter.
>>
File: _DSC4067-Panorama_r.jpg (3.63 MB, 3305x4000)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
>>4304139
I grabbed an A7cII in Japan. I'm quite pleased with it. The form factor is what made me decide to go with this particular model, especially for traveling and hiking, but one of the most important selling point to me was the large selection of third party lenses, and the continuous commitment from those third parties. I don't shoot much videos so I can't comment on that, 'seems fine. For stills, I have no complains. Considering the bad press, I expected the menus to be utter shit, but I didn't have any problem whatsoever with them. Yet another overblown meme, I suppose. It's just that sub-options are plentiful and not always well explained inside the menus themselves, and that's where you get lost. But for day-to-day operation, and not those sub-options you set up once and never bother with again, it's perfectly functional as far as I'm concerned. I thought I would miss a least 1 custom button on that particular body, but that wasn't the case at all. You can set up pretty much every button and dial however you want. The quick menu and its customization works good, I don't need more for actual shooting.
I can't comment much on the older menus operations, I only used an a6000 series back then for a few days, but I didn't have much problem either (I never digged deep into it though as it was a friend's camera).
For color science meme I dunno, I never shoot jpeg, just RAW. Therefore I can't comment on that, as the editing program is responsible for the color "science", that is just one slider away from being totally different.
Build quality is fine, no complains. I'm not sure if the silver paint will last though. Maybe I should've gone full black model, but the silver one was cuter. And was the one available anyway. Not sure if the overall body is resistant to shocks, I'm not a woman, I don't have two left hands, so it never was and never will be an issue.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7CM2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 24.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6821
Image Height8255
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpcm
Vertical Resolution240 dpcm
Image Created2024:04:14 14:34:10
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Brightness-3.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3305
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
GPS StatusMeasurement Interoperability
Geodetic Survey DataWGS-84
GPS Differential CorrectionNo Correction
>>
Star eater
Shading correction causes banding in raws
Cant adapt leica UWAs, optically, not mechanically
IBIS mounts break
Fake weather sealing
>>
>>4304139
>I've been trying to do my research but everyone on YouTube is a shill
Go to a camera store and handle the bodies, then rent out your top two favourite ergos and go shooting. Also consider lenses, Sony has the most variety but if you are only get top of the line pro glass only then it doesn't matter.
For Sony the only important thing is to not buy any older body than a a7IV unless you really know what you are getting
>>
A7IV is a good hybrid camera. The menu system is improved on the newer bodies, I have used lots of Sony cameras in the past and while the menu in A7IV isn't perfect, it is much better than the old menus. Like for example compared to the atrociously illogical FS5 or FS7 menus the new Sony menus are a great upgrade.

If you want to do both stills and video I'd go with the A7IV. The price is pretty good as well. 10 bit video, S-log, the improved color science etc. etc. 33 megapixels for stills is a pretty good balance. IDK if you like cropping or you print, but 33 megapixels is a pretty good sweet spot. The autofocus is very good and blah blah, all the usual stuff. Perhaps wait for the A7S4 to drop and see what specs it has, because they will be bumping the stills performance of that also. Though if you want to do more video and stills on the side, might wanna consider going for A7S3.

I am happy with my A7IV, but I also have to add that there is kind of a boring/sterile quality to the Sony cameras and the user experience. They exactly don't inspire me to shoot. They do the job perfectly well and there isn't anything negative about the handling or features, but they do feel a bit "computer"-ish. But this is a very subjective thing and not lots of people experience the cameras this way. I do most of my paid work on the A7IV but then when I want to shoot stills just for my own fun I usually shoot with one of my Fuji's or my film cameras.
>>
hello, sonyfag here, >>4304173 is correct, and it's still a good system despite those things
as always, choose by lenses, note that despite sony having extremely wide selection, RF and Z lenses are not compatible with it, and some of them are desirable, walled garden goes both ways
>>
>>4304139

iPhone will fit your requirements perfectly. Nothing easier or better for taking video for elderly family members.
They don’t want to be messing around with tech trying to get it to play, they want something that will just work on their iPhone or iPad when they try to watch.
Also you will end up with so much more content since it’s way easier to carry around, shoot, doesn’t need any editing etc.
Trust me your family members do not give a fuck about bokeh or shallow dof
>>
>>4304375

Also you are correct about online, every single poster is just somebody arguing to justify whatever they chose to buy and every content creator is just lying to sell you shit. Trust none of them. Flickr groups for a camera or lens are good to show the average of what they produce, YouTube will have some video examples but mute the video to avoid opinions.
>>
>>4304375
Everyone already has an iphone
Everyone already knows they suck
>>
If you're looking to save money in as many ways as possible while still getting a pretty good product, go Sony.
If you're flush with cash go Nikon instead.
t. Sony user
>>
>>4304377
Flickr groups are awful. You can't conflate userbase with what a camera can actually do, especially not on flickr, or else you'd think film can only take boring photos of stop signs and digital can only take UWA HDR landscapes in yosemite national park.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.