[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Alright, now is the time to buy.

Apparently hollywood is using soviet photo glass for movies now. Companies are rehousing them into film lenses.

Dune 2 was shot entirely on old Soviet glass.

I know the Helios m42 is legend. what else should I look at.

I am on L mount.
>>
>>4304170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOcW6WbL8U
>>
If you have Hollywood money why would you not just buy an actual Jena Biotar at that point?
>>
>>4304170
Why not just melt some glass over a cereal bowl and call it soviet glass? Profit!
>>
Gelios is simply the best optic
>>
>>4304451
>If you have Hollywood money why would you not just buy an actual Jena Biotar at that point?
Nobody does professional-level rehousing of them. And also there are no so much copies of biotars on market (just a magic part of soviet economy when goods produced not because people need them, but to make peepo do something continuously)
>>
Why cant we have some helios 103's rehoused for M mount
>>
>>4304488
>Why cant we have some helios 103's rehoused for M mount
haven't people with eyes of cunts released it yet?
>>
>>4304488
Contax RF mount superiority proved once again
>>
>>4304451
>>4304467

yeah, there are millions of helios floating around. the re-housing company is in Ukraine, and I imagine building a company without a steady flow of available glass is pretty fucking hard.

people are getting some amazing results with them. I picked up a pretty fresh looking 44m-4 off of ebay for $60 wtih free shipping from bulgaria. excited.

I would recommend picking up a lens now while you can. there is a lot of chatter about these lenses.
>>
>>4304170
>Dune
They shot these movies with old obsolete lenses because if the world saw that goblin Zendaya in real HD they would never recover from it, and they'd go bankrupt.

Dune looked bad for a reason people.
>>
>>4304488
Nice digits, heil'd
>>4305361
Absolutely kek
>>
there is some guy on ebay refurbishing and adding the mount of your chosing to soviet lenses, "Retro photo shop" i think who does it relatively cheap. highly recommend got one for nikon F mount
>>
>>4304170
i'm lucky as fuck since i moved to armenia six months ago and easily got a zenit camera which has a helios with it
>>
>>4305361
Realest post on this websight tbqhwy it’s insane to me how our celebrity board (/tv/) has even accepted this Hollywood goblin as “hot”.
>>
Correct, now is the time to buy at inflated prices due to all the youtubers hyping them up. The real time to buy was years ago.

By the time something is memed, and by the time you jump on the bandwagon, the bleeding edge folks will have already moved on to the next gimmick.

In summary, there's lots of lenses out there, experiment. Don't follow leaders, watch the parking meters.
>>
>>4304170
Why would people shoot that film on Soviet you're a glass when it's meant to be displayed in imax?
>>
>>4305872
All these old lenses are shit and unique. Eventually some normie movie will be shot on olympussy sucko lenses and those will be $500 a pop. Get your 135mm f2.8s while you can.
>>
>>4305918
Because “soft” lenses still have a lot of detail, it’s just not as crispy.
>>
>>4305872
Dylanfags are insufferable, especially the ones who don't really get the lyrics they quote
>>
>>4305921
This statement makes absolutely no sense. If you're going to display stuff in an IMAX theater you need resolution and detail.
>>
>>4306238
It has detail. The individual hairs are there. Just not as contrasty. Too sharp of a lens and it looks like a 3d render or AI enhanced. Why do you think mirrorless portraits shot with flawless lenses like the nikon noct and plena look uncanny before retouching? Human vision isnt nearly that sharp. If nikon had a 100mp camera you could crop super sharp 5mp images out of it, the sharpest 5mp has ever been, with the plena attached. It’s actually too much.
>>
>>4305872
>Correct, now is the time to buy at inflated prices due to all the youtubers hyping them up. The real time to buy was years ago

these lenses are like $60 with free shipping faggot. have fun when they are $200 in a couple years.
>>
>>4307249
i'm the anon that is in armenia, they're about $20 WITH the zenit cameras here, it's cheap as fuck
>>
>>4304170
Here is the list of most common ones with description and tests

https://radojuva.com/en/photo-review/#russian
>>
File: 1714112463058.jpg (48 KB, 1000x667)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>4304170
>soviet glass to L mount
10/10 op thank you

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.