[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Ordered a telescope on eBay a few weeks ago and it was the first clear night in weeks last night. With no experience using telescopes or space photography, managed to capture this with my iPhone held up to the eyepiece - no tripod.

Was really quite enjoyable setting up and trying to capture it and would like to do more of it.

So, any recommendations for starting gear, tripods, applications, any information you could give basically would be greatly appreciated!!
>>
>>4304282
just doing the moon and easy deep space objects,
literally any camera and a telescope adapter

it's more about the software you use to stack photos and setting up a tracking mount unless you want NASA quality
>>
>>4304282
Using phone camera with a telescope. Results as expected. Either get a real camera and proper adapter for your telescope, or simply use the viewfinder and enjoy the telescope. Phones and telescopes are often worse than a camera with a decent lens.
>>
>>4304282
Is the waviness atmospheric distortions or some phone AI postprocess stuff trying to fill in detail it thinks should be there?
>>
>>4304918
Are you talking about the banding?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding
>>
>>4304282
Got some things that were fun for me and not bank breaking to try out if you are looking to expand on the hobby.

theres pretty cheap adapters for phones that allow you to hook up your phone to the telescope and take pictures trough the eyepiece,

If you still have a canon/nikon DSLR laying around you can look for whats called a T2 ring, it allows you to attach your camera to your telescope and essentialy use the telescope as your lens,

Youve probably noticed by now that theres no zoom button on your telescope, you can achieve different levels of 'magnification' by buying different eye pieces, the simpelest way to look at this is the smaller the mm the more 'zoomed' in the view will feel, you probably got a standard 25m with the telescope, maybe look into getting something around 10mm aswell and maybe a 2x barlow lens.

as the other anon said a big part comes from the software, look up youtube videos that teach you how to stack the pictures you take from the nightsky and the right settings for your camera

lastly try to share the hobby with other people in your circle, if youre looking at something cool call over a family member, or throw out the telescope when you have friends over, ud be surprised how many people have never looked trough one.
>>
>>4306519
Nah look really close at the surface of the moon it has an odd texture that my mind tends to associate with AI images or otherwise modified images.
>>
>>4306644
I think it's a light breeze fucking up OPs stabilization
>>
>>4307518
This, it looks blurry, and some parts are over-sharpened.
>>
>>4306644
I can tell you definitively that this is a shit image, but whether that's due to "ai slop" in your phone or just general overbaking denoising+sharpening applied I can't say.

The ridiculous banding is what jumps out and screams "shit image, shit shit shit, bad bad!" but yes the "fine details" (there are none) are also shit here.
I don't know what to say other than you must shoot RAW, and avoid proprietary "special"RAW formats and stick with regular RAWs.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.