[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1715088954072652.png (933 KB, 800x550)
933 KB
933 KB PNG
>pros dont use it
>shills shill it
your board has been infested with shills it seems.
>>
>>4318214
Sony makes some of the most garbage cameras that exist outside of mft, but also some of the worst photos I've ever seen are from "professional" photographers. So, that's actually a point in Sony's favor.
>>
>pros dont use it
>sony photos look so bad
>fucking sony
>sony cameras suck
They are literally the standard for professional photography.
AP uses it
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8983805391/ap-partners-with-sony-to-exclusively-provide-its-visual-journalists-with-sony-camera-gear
Annie uses it
https://petapixel.com/2024/05/23/annie-leibovitz-spotted-using-sony-for-federer-and-nadal-shoot/
Tim walker shoots 6x7 film for fine art and a sony for commercial work (no link, the most i can share is that sony reposts his commercial work because of this)
The vast majority of professional wildlife photographers have switched from nikon DSLRs to sony mirrorless

All this got rolling with the release of the A9II, A7IV and A7RIV, while photo gearfags are still bitching about the A9/A7III/A7RIII lineup...

Literally every sports even I see or visit is half canon, half sony. What's interesting is - i don't see a nikon mirrorless or even DSLR literally anywhere, all canon DSLRs and sony mirrorless.

So ITT nikon fanboys mad that sony stole their market share and relegated their favorite brand to the pentax of the 2020s. Yknow it's them because they'll post the MAP camera sales rankings with the Z8 at the top, unaware that MAP camera is a relatively small store that just sells to japanese hobbyists. A canon user would not rag on sony so much because canon users respect professionalism over pixel peeping. Photo gearfags seethe at both brands and only like nikon
>muh magnitude negative 20 star was dimmed by heckin star eater
>heckin canon noise r3duction
>muh nikon raws are pure and unadultered!
>MUH HECKIN 50MM F1.8 S SONY ONLY HAS A 1.4 GM THAT IS THE SAME SIZE AND TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME >:(
>I didnt need working autofocus anyways
>-nikon gearfags
>>
>muh canonikon garbage
>>
>>4318225
>while photo gearfags are still bitching about the A9/A7III/A7RIII lineup...
Because that's all they can afford.
All these cameras, plus the Z6II, Z7II, and crop sensors are close to the $1500 and under price bracket, R6II and A9II/A7IV/A7RIV start too close to $2k for comfort and getting the most out of them requires spending close to $1k per lens. New prices are much, much higher, untouchable for hobbyists and hard to justify over buying a used leica instead.

They also bitch about sony because the only sony lenses they can afford are not awesome 1.4 GMs, but shitty 1.8 ZAs and noletter/sigma/scamyang lenses without weather sealing.

Canon and sony are the two most expensive brands and broke hobbyists who dont make a penny off photography nitpick them endlessly for it.
>>
you'll never have the prestige of our gear
>>
>>4318225
>A canon user would not rag on sony so much because canon users respect professionalism over pixel peeping.
newfags get bullied
you are a newfaggot
sony is doing that AP deal at a loss because they'll never be a Blue Blood like Us
>>
>>4318214
>pros dont use it
guess you don't know about many pros
>>
>>4318214
They are making all your sensors these days anyway.
Not to mention that snoy was one of the first companies to make digital cameras and they did have fuckton of experience making broadcast equipment and video cameras and shit.
>>
File: _DSC3302.jpg (2.88 MB, 3750x2500)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>pros dont use it
Wait, they don't? Oh, well.
What I did notice though, is how they're featured in pretty much any other product ever. Like, 15 years ago, you wanted to buy a tripod? A Canon was featured on the promo pic. For all kind of products. No questions asked. And it was pretty normal. Now? It's an A7 series that appears. A shift happened somewhere.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7CM2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)135 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpcm
Vertical Resolution240 dpcm
Image Created2024:05:28 21:40:26
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness6.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length90.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
GPS StatusMeasurement Interoperability
Geodetic Survey DataWGS-84
GPS Differential CorrectionNo Correction
>>
>>4318228
All true. Hobbyists are poor and can hardly afford Z nikon. The GOOD sony comes out to way over $5000 for a versatile kit so are you really surprised these people spend hours coping and insisting $250 pentax DSLRs are better?
>>
>>4318322
Professional camera use is literally 70% canon 29% sony. The only reason canon is so big is because they have 30 years of fully electronic lenses and were the only ones making them back then. That’s huge for sports photography because they operate way faster, improving autofocus accuracy and enabling higher framerates.
>>
>>4318339
>The only reason canon is so big
Canon also have very good support and after sales service. Sony's after sales service is largely just; "ahaha buy a new one"
>>
>>4318322
>A shift happened somewhere.
Yeah, in the marketing department
>>
>>4318225
>AP is professional standard
And Reuters, Getty, many other probably more “respectable” news orgs shoot Canon (others even smaller may even shoot Nikon.)
>no Nikon anywhere
I walked to a wildlife area saw only Canons and Nikons, not even one Sony. It’s my confirmation bias but also that older people stick to what they used or younger people burned by Sony before don’t buy Sony. And for all of what you said about MAP camera, star eaters, z primes, forced raws— I agree. They are glaring flaws and it’s why I and others don’t choose Sony.
>>
>>4318608
Reuters and getty don't have a contract with canon, they let you use whatever
>a larp
>a rant about some gearfag shit
#2 brand, after the historical inertia boomer blobs
Like apple shit is still better than anything microshit makes no matter how many offices in bumfuck nowhere are locked into MS office by compatibility issues. #2 brand.

>NO SON YIS BAD BECAUSE... STAR EATER
Fixed on a7iv on+only affected "serious astrophotography" (irrelevant nerds playing pretend NASA) anyways. How nice of sony to fix a total fucking non issue that was affecting 4 people doing retarded shit (stacking 500 20 second exposures taken through their shitty telescopes)
>BECAUSE... FORCED RAW SOMETHING SOMETHING!??!?!??
Like this forced raw something something?
https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/nikon-z7-lenr/
I guess there's some drama over shading correction? You can turn that off and just do it in lightroom you know, shading correction is for video/jpegs, or, dont miss exposure 3 stops and complain that your photo looks like shit.
>i agree
That Z primes are oversized for what they are? A 1.8 the size of a competing 1.4... no wonder niggon is plummeting in market share so fast they're set to be overtaken by fucking OM SHITSTEM in their home country and fucking FUJI globally. That, and non-functional AF lmao.
>but i went to a wildlife preserve in north dakota and the poorfag boomers there...
Don't care about those retards
The vast majority of pros are canon or sony
The vast majority of people period are on canon or sony
#1: Canon. Sports photography king + 30 years of high speed lenses. Sensor quality be damned, NFL photogs gotta get the shot.
#2: Sony. Superior technology, Smaller, higher quality, only global shutter on FF, best cameras in existence (A7RV, A1, A9II, A9III). Only not beating canon because they don't have 30 years of EF mount historical inertia and the retained customers that comes with (they cant afford to switch)

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width750
Image Height479
>>
>>4318550
>Sony's after sales service is largely just; "ahaha buy a new one"
hey guy from 2016, they have actual tech support now. you're a hobbytard who probably thinks nikon is usable for more than cat photos tho so im not surprised you didnt know about a subscription service for professionals.
perhaps you are thinking of current nikon, since they closed all their service centers and now have just one single repair center that they share with sony. guess how may z8s and z9s are still being fixed for their numerous recalls? lol
>>
>>4318613
Apple OS is designed for college girls and their hardware sucks kilometers of cock that's why they're #2.
>>
>>4318621
>Unix is designed for college girls thats why i use a bloated hodgepodge os that makes ganoo systemd wayland linux look like a coherent design
>>4318214
Most pros use sony if they did not already have thousands of dollars worth of EF lenses or a high FPS requirement on a budget

I doubt any pros are using nikon/fuji except for wedding photographers because they can deliver total shit and still get paid
>>
>>4318623
>because they can deliver total shit and still get paid
my dream
>>
File: ahahahah.jpg (57 KB, 888x531)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>4318615
>they have actual tech support now.
>>4318623
>Most pros use sony
>>
>>4318214
The only places I've seen Sony shilled is all of the places you should never receive advice from
Instagram photographers/vloggers
youtubers
>>
>>4318810
You forgot /p/, but he is just an assclown
>>
>>4318820
/p/ gives some decent advice on rare occasions, like fujifilm guys tend to be bros.
Sonyponies fuck up every thread though
>>
File: 1684342595557.jpg (39 KB, 960x954)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>4318823
It's been funny in this thread seeing the Snoy like sum up everything wrong with Snoy cameras preemptively where no one argues with him to defend the typical arguments like a checklist of argumentation, then say every other camera brand is shit and only Snoy is acceptable.
>>
>>4318831
he has a point about sony’s “flaws” being nitpicks for jobless pixel peeping hobbyslop
>UHHH WHEN I PUT MY SONY ON A STAR TRACKER AND TAKE 300 5 SECOND EXPOSURES OF PROXIMA CANIS MAJOR UHHH EPSILON 789B IS MISSING SONY IS SO SHIT!
>actual photographers: nice, not hot pixels
>>
>>4318841
online “photography” “communities” are about pixel peeping slop. not actual photography (studio, travel, journalism). who has time for that after using rawdigger to check for noise reduction and spending 6 hours arguing and trying to convince yourself dumping $5k into nikon Z was a smart choice

magnum photogs did a gear bag expo once and it was
>canon dslr
>sony mirrorless
>olympus mirrorless
>leica
on repeat. mind you the average /p/rolarpsumer hates magnum and thinks snapshits of the german shepherd that fucks them are better.
>>
>>4318831
Only olympus, panasonic, leica, hasselblad, sony and canon are acceptable to people who make money off this. Enjoy missing focus on your dog with your $7500 fujinikon setup.
>>
>>4318841
>>4318847
>he has a point
Anon, others here can likely tell your writing style is repeating in this thread. You aren't convincing anyone.
>>
>>4318858
>It's the writing style, man, everyone is the same CIA agent
here you might relate to this
https://www.huckmag.com/article/photographer-documenting-brothers-life-schizophrenia

seconding, or thirding, whatever, that the nitpicks people direct at sony are like, pure distilled unemployment
/p/ sony haters be like
>i zoomed in 600% and after checking my charts realized a star was missing
>i was taking photos of my lens cap and noticed the noise is different in the corners if i push exposure 5 stops from iso 100 with this setting on
>in theory if i bought a $1000 vintage leica ultra wide angle it wouldn't adapt well
>6 years ago they had a camera that broke immediately if it got rained on so they all have to suck. wait fuji still has the same problem? its a non issue. just use a rain cover.
>if i hold a 200-600 one handed my hand gets sore. bad ergos.
>ugh, sony is too expensive *buys z8*
>>
Sony Cameras are not great, they are an ass to use but you can get by. Sony's biggest problem are the idiots who troll this and other places desperate for validation and who then ragepost lies because other people disagree.

If they actually used cameras instead of just reading about them they might gain a little insight as to why people with more experience prefer other brands
>>
>>4319039
>Sony Cameras are not great
What's the problem with them?
>>
>>4319039
Anyone who says this has never used nikon z professionally, because you must be talking about non camera features
>SNAPBRIDGE NO LIKE IPHONE
>NX MOBILE AIR FUCKED UP AGAIN
Sony is one of maybe 3 usable brands

Or maybe you just used an a6 or a very old a7
>>
>>4319059
The menu system was designed by and for people with average japanese iq scores
>i no see prabrem what so hard about memorizing section 4 item 15 on page 3 why you complain about no picture just read letta baka gaijin
Even the exterior of the camera is also like this. There is no button that is only ever what it says it does. Everything can be remapped - per user mode. If you have a high iq sony cameras are a breeze to use. If you do not you will constantly forget what c1 through c4 and record actually do in the cameras current state.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 1080x817)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>4318225
>Annie uses it
to take photos like this lol
>>
>>4319074
If you take the time to customise them you very rarely have to dive into the main menu. I wouldn't say memorising what you have the buttons set to do is that hard. Even when I had Canon bodies it's not like I had to hunt around to see which button had a certain symbol on it to remember what it did.
>>
>Annie uses it
Because she make more money from being seen to be using Sony than she does from her pictures
>>
>>4319084
>Poorfag is so detached from upper class culture that he thinks this is a bad photo
Yeah yeah, where are the neon lights, where's the sportscar, why isn't it saturation boosted, needs more orange for the blue, it would be better if zack snyder shot it, it would be even better if hoytema shot it, right?

You are a lower class rube who is basically on a different planet than the rich. To the people who pay annie, this is a good photograph. Also see: fashion! You see high fashion you think it looks like shit. Your own fashion sense is more in line with country music videos and rappers. You're part of low culture. Deal with it.

>>4319091
Her marketing partner is fuji. She always tapes over sony logos and in interviews she claims to use an x100 and a gfx. But leaked BTS and exif removal failures tell a different story. She's always using a canon DSLR or a sony mirrorless on her actual shoots.

The logical choices, without a doubt.
>Canon DSLR for the peak of reflex technology and SOVL
>Sony mirrorless for the peak of mirrorless technology and flawless sharpness
>>
are sonyfags the argentinians of photography?
>>
>>4319190
in more ways than you realize
>>
>>4319098
>She always tapes over sony logos and in interviews she claims to use an x100 and a gfx. But leaked BTS and exif removal failures tell a different story.
Cool story, bro
>>
File: thinking.jpg (87 KB, 785x562)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>4318225
>>
>>4319257
Wikipedia once said that David Beckham was an 18th century Chinese goalkeeper.

Crowd sourced facts will always be suspect.
>>
>>4319098
It is a bad photo.
>>
>>4319084
How is this an actual edit done by a professional? I had to reverse image search just to be sure it was real.
>>
>>4319328
Because the audience for professional photographers isn't other photographers. The people who critically evaluate professional photographers are people who know nothing about photography, hence them hiring someone else to do it.

It's the equivalent to you being surprised that the guy who works in the lumber department at home depot isn't a artisan woodworker.
>>
>>4319328
Looks like photoshop to me. Are they meant to be mountain climbing ropes in an LV backpack, lolololol. Why did she chop the left hand fucker off at the ankle? Everything about that picture looks wrong. Did those guys ever even meet?
>>
>>4319084
this is one of the gayest pictures ive ever seen, and I like looking at naked dued pictures
>>
>>4319334
>Did those guys ever even meet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoiK7vxd9Rc
>>
Most people I've been buying cheap f mount lenses from have the same story
>I'm switching systems
>oh? To what?
>Sony.

For the longest time canon and nikon had a sort of hold on the market for pro level cameras because they had the infrastructure to produce mechanical DSLRs, Sony knew the day would coke when they could jump into the market when DSLRs were peaking in their technology, and mirrorleww systems were rapidly gaining steam. All they had to do was build up the infrastructure to build cameras around their sensors.
Sony is here to stay right alongside Nikon and Canon.
>>
>>4318214
Sell me on sony. I currently have a nikon d7000 and was looking to switch and upgrade to a new canon r6ii camera since I don't have many lenses.
what would sony offer more?
>>
>>4319084
>man of steel cgi mustache removal tier
>>
>>4320948
Everything is better but the weather sealing requires limited lens/body combinations - mostly full frame lenses that are newer rather than older, and their newest bodies only. A6700 yes A6600 no. On the other hand weather sealing doesnt really work and some retards have broken pentax k1s testing it (mostly lost dials and light meter glitches)
>>
>>4320948
there are some “flaws” but you need to pixel peep at 400% zoom doing very autistic things (like deep space imaging) to notice them. the noise reduction knocks out small, dim stars sometimes (so would any level of noise reduction) and the camera vignetting correction modifies raw files slightly so if you dont turn it off stacking images creates subtly colored corners.
>>
>>4320971
Not him but what about the greenish Sony tint that we see sometimes? That's the reason why I want a Canon or Pana
>>
>>4320976
>Le greenish tint
The older ones (up to the a7riii and a7iii) had kind of shitty, pentax-tier auto white balance algorithm so if you didn't shoot raw (impossible for video) you had to configure AWB with more magenta tint or manual WB off a gray card any time you were shooting under cheap indoor lights. They also leaned heavily into magenta outdoors in AWB. This continued with the a7riv's AWB but the 7c, a7iv and a7rv all have good AWB.

Any other time someone had issues with green it turned out they were loading raws into lightroom which had notoriously bad color profiles for sony cameras up to the a7riv. The profiles got better for the a7iv. But if you used actual good software, like capture one or dxo, raw colors were never a problem.
>>
>>4320976
It's an issue for people that are too lazy to actually make adjustments n their RAW processor, or too lazy to go beyond AWB and camera defaults for JPG. In many cases a single click is all you need. It's a complete non-issue if you plan to do any processing or use presets at all.
>>
>>4320976
People have already replied but I shoot conventions on an A7IV and don't have any issues. Regardless, you should be shooting RAW and then you can make changes in post if there are any issues.
>>
>>4320976
doesn't that get fixed in about 3 seconds? Doesn't seem like something worth freaking out about
>>
>>4320970
I read that even the 28-70mm kit lens is sealed, and I think the older Zeiss ones are too. Apart from having a gasket on the mount, although really I doubt it's that likely for water to get in there if it's just light rain where as the control rings would be much more susceptible.
>>
>>4321041
the mount gasket is the most important. that’s where the lens contacts and sensor are. and metal is hydrophilic.

the flash shoe is another problem area and needs to be kept covered or it thinks there is something attached
>>
>>4319084
why take them on location and make the thing look like a green screen, it looks like the Hobbit movies
>>
>>4321047
>metal is hydrophilic.
No it's not
>the mount gasket is the most important. that’s where the lens contacts and sensor are
But it's the least likely area for water to get in. It's a tight fitting interface that doesn't move unless the lens is removed and it's easy enough to wipe off any water from around it before doing so. On the other hand the control rings and sliding components of a lens are by necessity loose fitting and of course move. And if water get into them then it's going to wet the interior lens elements and probably result in fungus and could still make its way to the contacts and image sensor.
>>
>>4321166
>No it's not
Yes it is.
>>
>>4321166
When I see a weather sealing failure it usually involves a lens without a gasket

Almost every lens has some amount of play at the mount
>>
>>4318613
>no wonder niggon is plummeting in market share so fast they're set to be overtaken by fucking OM SHITSTEM in their home country
Black line with yellow triangles is Nikon, dark blue with orange diamonds is OM, read the legend at the bottom. Though very surprised Nikon has such bad MS.
>>
>>4326598
>Though very surprised Nikon has such bad MS.
Nvm it's just for mirrorless. I don't get the hype, phones are mirrorless and having a viewfinder that is analog and a liveview that is basically mirrorless is way better, the savings in size are pretty irrelevant when you look at how big the lenses are.
>>
>>4326598
These jap rankings matter as much as searching amazon for “best selling digital cameras”
>>
>>4319261
https://www.nikon.com/company/news/2024/0207_mirrorless_03.html
>>
>>4326600
less important actually
amazon rankings are for economically relevant first world countries with standard culture

japan is autism land with a dead economy. they have odd shopping habits
>JDM stats show countertop hot pads outsell stoves!
>>
>>4319098
that photo looks like capeshit, you can't be more low brow than that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.