[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tacky meme.jpg (148 KB, 1280x960)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
Today I repaired and repainted a CE-4 that I was gonna use as a dedicated M42 camera until I accidentally put my fuckin thumb in the shutter assembly and jammed the piss out of it. Now it is relegated to fancy adaptall2 lens cap status.

What did you do today?
>>
File: end me.png (1.33 MB, 720x1280)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>
>>4320670
that's no fe2
u steppin out?
>>
>>4321086
No I would never paint my FE2
>>
File: dcc521_b.jpg (44 KB, 520x358)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
I got a CANON PowerShot SD600 DIGITAL ELPH (also known as DIGITAL IXUS 60 or IXY DIGITAL 70) for a dollar and while the condition inside and out is like it's brand new it doesn't work. I tried new batteries, changed the internal MS614S watch battery, took it apart and put it back together - no obvious faults.
Anybody got experience with old digicams?
>>
>>4320667
I tore down a Yashica d with wobbly focus and a stuck counter. Didn’t even think to take pictures honestly but maybe I should have, since I didn’t find many looking for instructions lol. Got the counter working and it’s maybe a bit less wobbly, so it’s a win in my book.
>>
>>4323395
One thing i havent seen anyone mentioned in all those "fix it yourself" guides on the internet is that tiny lug in the battery compartment which checks if it is open and then turns off the camera.. had one where it was stuck so the camera refused to power on.. quite remarkable that it isnt one of the first suggestions.
>>
Try wiggling it with a paperclip while holding down the power button
>>
I bought a Powershot G12 with a stuck lens. The issue turned out to be a torn focusing element ribbon cable. When the lens tries to retract, the focusing element stays fixed in place and gets pushed out of alignment. I managed to dissemble the lens, put the element back in place and reassemble it without tearing any other ribbon cables, but I think the ribbon that needs replacing has to be soldered at one end. I ordered a replacement, although I'm not sure I'll be able to solder such delicate joints.
>>
>>4323408
its not that hard to solder the ribbon cable. What doesn't work is soldering ribbon cable at break, especially if its due to mechanical stress and not a mistake during disassembly. Aliexpress probably has flex cables. If not, try getting hands on macbook coaxial cables or better LVDS cable from laptop, its super thin, and flexible. Maybe FEP insulated 0.01 mm cable or smht like that, idk.
>>
>>4323415
>its not that hard to solder the ribbon cable.
The solder points are tiny and surrounded by easily melted plastic.
>>
>>4323427
>The solder points are tiny
Yes.
>and surrounded by easily melted plastic.
Also yes, but it won't matter much if you melt it a bit, plus you can probably unstick the flex, if its glued on.
And if its plastic connector, don't worry about it.
But if you're worried, you can try lead-free bismuth solder, it melts at lower temp than normal 60/40 stuff.. But idk where can u buy it in form of solder wire, ive seen only paste.
>>
File: frozen2_ed.webm (1.87 MB, 1920x1080)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB WEBM
>>4323208
I think I get what you're saying
>>
>>4323406
checked it and it doesn't seem to have any bearing on the issue, but i got another broken unit for another dollar, it should ship tomorrow. I think I'll be trying some part swaps to see if maybe they have different faults (unless they were all prone to developing one specific kind of failure)
>>
File: junker.jpg (40 KB, 540x289)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>4323395
>>4323781
okay so the junker arrived, it was really beat up on the outside, scews were rusted together with the shell, bends everywhere, missing battery door - didn't expect much. By itself it was also dead and non responsive. After opening it up however it was mostly dry and clean. Took it apart, marked the parts so as not to confuse them with the parts from the one i was repairing. I started with swapping around the battery board & motherboard combo from junker to the taget camera...
>>
File: after swap.jpg (1.16 MB, 2533x1821)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>4324137
put it together and it booted
putting it together properly this time to see if it will work for good
>>
>>4320667

>Broke one of the first rules of camera repair

how will fe2fucker ever recover from this? BTFO with no recovery by sugar!!

Lol im sorry dude that sucks, I get so nervous working around anything with a cloth shutter I put caps and backs on every chance I get.

Couple days ago did an aperture cleaning on a Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5, common problem with those, and fungus removal and full CLA on Canon 35-70/2.8-3.5. The T90 also had a loose lens mount, fixed that too.
>>
>>4324352

VS1 aperture blades, did these in naptha and re-assembled in 10 minutes, record time for me. Fantastic walkaround lens if you're ever thinking about one, just check that aperture it's a common problem on them now.
>>
>>4324354

Now onto the Canon. This is a 2-touch zoom lens that has like 4 helicoids and it's a super-bitch to align but a great learning experience and huge confidence booster if you pull it off. I got a bunch of FD glass from a local flipper to CLA and he has some Leica stuff to trade me.
>>
>>4324355

The offending element. A simple liquid glass cleaner made for industrial coated optics and a microfiber cloth and it was like new. Luckily was not into the coatings, just on the surface.
>>
Jupiter 12 LTM full CLA
>>
>>4324355
>cheeky t90 on her back all exposed
Lad, nice.
>>
Big ass batch of Soviet LTM glass from the same flipper. There's some I-50s for a Zenit, a few I-26s for FED, a collapsible I-50 for FED and a Jupiter-8 for Leningrad. These are very easy to work on with a little patience and good tools.
>>
>>4324360

I even got her top off.
>>
>>4320667
>What did you do today?
Played with my kids.
>>
Leitz Summitar 5cm/f2 CLA, it still has separating balsam but it's on the very far edge and I'm not going to worry about it.
>>
>>4324366

Rubbed one out?

Nikkor AF-S 24-70/2.8 ED hood mount repair, comes loose on them. Also did some preventive maintenance on the front lens group mount
>>
Topcon 5.8cm f1.4 full CLA, this lens was serviced by some retard who misaligned the focus helicoid and I managed to get it right.
>>
Mamiya 127/3.8 shutter CLA, I was a tard and forgot to take pictures of it apart but I did get it back together and it works now.
>>
>trucker says perverted thing at the mention of children
>>
>>4324377

This is 4chan bro, no one here has kids, most of us have crippling depression and off-the-charts autism and are too socially-awkward to reproduce.
>>
>>4324379
I bet you'd be an alright dad, you should try it.
>>
>>4324380

My childhood was pretty fucked up and these days its even worse on kids with bullying and shit and now we have social media where they can be bullied too. Some of the shit I did to defend myself 20 years ago would have me in jail these days and when I threw down there were no cameras or cellphones, it ain't like that today.

There was a time the shit was just on sight. I don't want my child to have to endure that. I went through some genuinely really fucked up shit and no one was there to help me, I had to defend myself and because of Zero Tolerance, even defending myself got me suspended and eventually, expelled.

These days, first time some kid stepped to my son or daughter I'd be in prison.

I would have been a good dad in 1989 though.
>>
>>4324361
Oh neat, I regreased an industar 61 l/d the other day. Like you said, super easy lens to work on and now its as smooth as can be.

Btw got any tips on how to adjust these things to focus correctly (or correct-er) on a leica?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAndroid KB2003_13.1.0.582(EX01)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1080
Image Height799
Unique Image IDa3743886-3880-4dff-b749-542526a44694
>>
Anyone have any advice on how to remove crap from an SLR viewfinder? I got a Canon EOS 300 and it has some crap in the view finder. I'm not really sure if it's worth it, but the camera was free so I don't have much to lose.
>>
>>4324355
what lens spanner do you use? that's about the last thing missing from my lens toolbox
>>
File: IMG_1008.jpg (2.1 MB, 4032x3024)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>4324388
The stuff that I am talking about is in the bottom right corner.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone SE (2nd generation)
Camera Software17.5.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2024:06:12 11:46:21
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness-3.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length3.99 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4324393
If it’s like my eos 5, you basically have to remove the whole top plate to get to the vf internals. And the top plate is bracketed in by the face plate, so that needs off too. Fun project. If you go slow and careful you should be able to manage it, just label your screws and don’t tear any ribbons.
>>
>>4324393
Its soft so it doesnt look like its on or under the focus screen. Have you checked the mirror?
>>
Anyone here know anything about binocular repair?
>>
>>4324386

You can adjust it by not putting the shittiest M39 Soviet lens on a fuckin Leica M body. Bro Jupiter glass is cheap at least put a J8 or a J12 on that mf. Ball out and put the J3 50/1.5 on it. I paid 200 bucks for my 1.5 Red "P"

Industars are technically 28.8mm flange distance but the problem is they only register correctly on FED bodies, if you put them on anything else, that body has to be calibrated to it to register correctly in the rangefinder. My FED-4 has a Lanthanum 61 L/Z on it and it made awesome pictures, very sharp and very colorful, but it's calibrated to that lens. All my Jupiter lenses,plus my Orion 28mm register correctly on my Canon 7, even my 135 after some finessing.

The Industar isn't necessarily a bad lens and it will make sharp pictures especially the 61 L/Z Lanthanum model found on the FED-4, but FFS put a decent lens on that Leica or I'm gonna kick you in the dick. Nigga is putting a 20 dollar lens on a 1500 dollar body, meanwhile I'm over here with my 700 dollar Russar 20/56 pic related on a 30 dollar Zorki lulz

>>4324390

eBay, Japan Hobby Tool sells it.
>>
File: IMG_20240613_114811_421.jpg (161 KB, 1280x861)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>4324561
Im saving for a big trip rn so i really cannot spare the cash for funny lens purchases. If I wasn't holding my money I'd buy some voigtländer or zeiss glass for it.

Ohwell, guess i'll find a way to compensate the off focus, it is digital after all so no money lost. maybe I'll run a roll through the fed as well.
>>
>>4324561
>Japan Hobby Tool
I have their helicoid grease (shit separated right in the jars) and the conical rubber tubes. how's the metallurgy on the spanner bits? nice and hard?
>>
>>4324797
What grease do you use now? Personally i use shit brown bike chain lithium grease
>>
>>4325083
japan hobby tool helicoid grease. #30 for the main helicoid and #10 for secondary helicoids if any, like on CRC lenses. just a personal preference. I also use a bit of the #30 on the aperture ring detents.
the oil separation isn't an issue inside lenses since there's no space between helicoids and you keep turning the focus ring so the grease gets mixed back together anyway, I just make sure to stir the jars before taking any grease out.
>>
>>4324797

p good. I use some shit I found on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334557685297?itmmeta=01J0DZBFF81GQPN9YQX0A96NCC&hash=item4de5312631:g:njsAAOSwWtFcVWWu&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwHVJci5KGadr8X4P%2FOQqjdA60MjpJQcYdd5HjuCuDIog5NfcHhXZzuNgDRVtzVtvFb0at3JX22o86m3J5hq2HiHPxj0TCntF54vzvLFf7HaELWstk3%2FhAD%2BjUDx5MVSoQhNcUMviLwPxAsCIYgCvkhH%2FyqVca1KAstNtfSOD8fpNAz83Oji46uGMQG%2F6ol5ZWwNhRyq2N2RlIIFONtI%2FfYqd2WyaJ4NJr0x7HDtqzelQ4IVLgWw00kjLp%2BtUFun48Q%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR973rb-DZA

It's very good, have used it on CRC and regular rangefinder lenses. I'm actually due to re-up on it soon so I'm getting another order of it.
>>
Anyone knows what can cause this sort of diagonal smear in a (medical converted) Pen FT? Light leak? Internal reflection?
>>
>>4327462
>>
>>4327462
>medical converted
What’s that?
>>
>>4327465
It was a medical Pen FT, with micro/endoscope mount, unusable for conventional photography focusing screen and without a light meter.
>>
>>4327462
Looks like a flare to me. Does it appear on every frame? Does it change shape? If its near an edge on the negative does it bleed outside the frame?
>>
>>4327519
No, appears quite rarely, last roll didn't have it at all. Shape is always the same, doesn't bleed off frame. So far I've only put b&w through it, but I've remembered that I have a roll of color film from a disposable I've cannibalised for the lens. I'll try to shoot it and if it has that red tint, I'll at least will be closer to an answer.
>>
>>4327527
Is the mirror box flocked? Any shiny arms or levers? I'm thinking if its a medical device they might have skimped on stuff like that because you're rarely gonna have strange sideways light in a lab environment.
>>
>>4327540
No, nothing. Maybe they left the half-silvered mirror in it despite it having no light meter and that leads to some fuckery?
>>
>>4327548
Yea fuckit send the colour roll then. Could take some test shots with bright side light in 4 directions and see if it appears in any of them.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.